Two teens in their own cabin?

We've booked two balcony cabins that are adjacent but not adjoining. For booking purposes, we have one adult and one teen in each cabin. Wondering if we will be able to "officially" put both teens in one cabin and my husband and I in the other, once we check in? Anybody done that? Thanks.

We never switched our teens "formally," but it didn't make a difference. We'd get an extra cabin key for the kid who switched at the pursar's desk as soon as we boarded. That kid would then just carry 2 cards (sign & sail and xtra cabin key). We'd use either a permanent marker or a splotch of nail polish on a corner to distinguish the keys.

I'd mention the switch to the cabin steward, and it was never a problem. It probably helped that I'd check their cabin once in awhile to make sure my teens kept it in order...I didn't want the steward to think I raised feral animals :-).

As long as the cabins are directly beside or directly across the hall from each other the kids may be in their own room. You can call now and make this change. If you wait till you are on board then you will only be issued extra keys and have to carry 2 sets of keys with you.

I currently have 4 cruises booked with the kids beside us in non-connecting rooms.

This arrangement cannot be booked on line but instead you must talk to a live rep to do this. Many TA's will tell you that it can't be done this way but that is because they want to book on line and not talk to an agent.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

We have always booked our kids either across the hall or next to us without any issues. One cruise we even had a cabin in between us. The RCCL agent didn't have any problems booking the cabins this way.

Why did you book one adult in each cabin?

RCI allows your children to be booked into their own room as long as that room is adjacent to, or directly across from, your cabin.

You have to call (and not book online) in order to do this. If you are before final payment, I would call and switch the people on the reservations now.

Otherwise, you will have to get an extra key to each cabin and the people who switched will have to carry two keys.

Just adding on my agreement. Get the booking as you want it now. We have had our kids in cabins next door or across the hall for many cruises, you just need to call to have it done.

To me better to have all that taken care of before boarding. Of course, we did get extra keys so we could have access to their cabin and them to ours but we didn't have to do it moment 1 as everyone else was at guest services.

We've booked two balcony cabins that are adjacent but not adjoining. For booking purposes, we have one adult and one teen in each cabin. Wondering if we will be able to "officially" put both teens in one cabin and my husband and I in the other, once we check in? Anybody done that? Thanks.

Not sure what you mean by "adjacent but not adjoining". Do you mean adjoining (next door) but not connecting (with a door between them)?

Edited by time4u2go

We booked our teens (both 14) in their own cabin. Our travel agent said Royal allowed it so we booked it that way. We have three cabins in a row with the teens in the middle, us on one side, and the grand parents on the other.

However, we are considering shuffling the booking so that we have an adult in each cabin and could bring another 2 bottles of wine aboard.

Not sure what you mean by "adjacent but not adjoining". Do you mean adjoining (next door) but not connecting (with a door between them)?

That was my guess.

Having worked in hotel reservations for a few years, I can tell you the most commonly confused terms are "adjoining" and "connecting" - and the yelling that happens at the front desk is never fun.

Adjoining means next to, across the hall, or even diagonally across the hall - but no door in between.

Connecting means next to each other with a door in between.

True the person taking the reservation should clarify, but I found that in at least half of the cases even when we DID clarify the person only half-listened and still didn't get what they wanted because they assumed that we were saying what they thought rather than listening to what we were truly saying.

We booked our teens (both 14) in their own cabin. Our travel agent said Royal allowed it so we booked it that way. We have three cabins in a row with the teens in the middle, us on one side, and the grand parents on the other.

However, we are considering shuffling the booking so that we have an adult in each cabin and could bring another 2 bottles of wine aboard.

You might want to split the grandparents into two rooms if there is a senior discount available.

If multiple rooms are booked always try to maximize your discounts.

Don't worry about the hassle of changing your booking around. They really only check to make sure each person is not carrying more than two bottles. They don't track it beyond that.

It shouldn't be a problem. The people who check the bags for wine are not the same people who check you in. So, have each adult carry 2 bottles of wine, and if questioned, just say that you have 2 cabins. (My husband and I usually split up and put our bags through different scanners, or allow another family to get between us, this way it's not obvious that we are all together and have 4 bottles.)

They may make you book one adult in each cabin...but that's not how you have to LIVE on the ship! Once onboard, change the cabin occupants at customer service....no biggie..no worries!

True! We did this all of the time with our girls. No problems! :)

LuLu

Thank you for the clarification on terms, and yes, that is exactly what I meant. Right next door to one another, but not connecting!