Why is Progreso looked down on by so many people?

maldenmusic

I think because it is not a resort town. But I love going there. Last time we just sat on the beach in front of Buddy's all day and had a great time. This year we are planning to visit Merida which I am totally excited about!! We love the local flavor anywhere we go.

I think because it is not a resort town. But I love going there. Last time we just sat on the beach in front of Buddy's all day and had a great time. This year we are planning to visit Merida which I am totally excited about!! We love the local flavor anywhere we go.

Buddy's is where we sit and eat, and have a beer or three. Buddy Vanecek Taylor

SANY1638.jpg.4f8a3290d4623bf50d4704b2a3dbf33a.jpg

We'll be in Progreso the end of April. Plan on doing the double decker bus and then hit Buddy's. Next trip we'll head to the ruins, then to Merida the next. Something different every time. I cruise for toe's in the sand and a cold DOD. Sure beats a day at work.:p

Haven't cruised enough to stay on the boat for a tour. We're helping the locals expand by spending our hard earned money at their local establishments. All ports of call had to start somewhere. :p

Happy Sails

I think it's a shame so many people think that Progreso is not worth getting off the boat for. True, it's not as beautiful as many other places but I never have trouble finding things to do there.

I think Progresso is a great place to visit. Excellent ruins nearby. The town of Merida is a lovely place to visit and the people are very nice.

We are looking forward to being there again in a couple of weeks. We like Progresso and the people that are lucky enough to call Progresso home. Not sure what others may be thinking?

Follow up to my above quote. We were there last week and had a nice day doing the bus tour and hanging out on the beach. The water was not clear but that didn't stop us from swimming. It was cloudy but not raining so we were happy. Beats anything we have in central IL. This was our 8th cruise. We have talked and both agree every port is worth getting off of the ship. Even if it's just for some window shopping/walking exercise. :cool:

We've enjoyed walking around Progreso and exploring the culture of the residents.

Each time we've been there we have booked tours of Dzibilchaltun through AutoProgreso, but have had plenty of time to kill before our tours. We've walked through the open-air food markets and nearby streets off-the-beaten-path to see how the locals live and shop. We even popped into a "modern" store selling new appliances, but they were very different than the versions of the dishwashers and stoves and washing machines we know in the US. Everyone was friendly to us and we felt safe even though we were the only cruise passengers around.

Excellent comments all. If you set aside the classic idea of the idyllic turquoise sea vacation and open your mind to just have a good day, then you will have a great time.

Lucky you!

We went to Merida four years ago from Progresso and loved it.

• 5 weeks later...

Last cruise or the one before that, my adult daughter and i were walking along the back streets of Progreso. She was wearing a t-shirt that said "Missouri" on it. A local man passed us, stopped and said "Hey-St. Louis Cardinals-Mark McGuire" and gave us a thumbs up. We've never felt unsafe walking around Progreso.

My family had a very poor experience in March with Criss Tours in Progresso and we would strongly recommend not using this tour operator. When we scheduled a tour to go to Silcer Beach Club and arrived at Progresso on Carnival, Criss told us that we had to go to Iguana Beach Club instead. We learned later that he charged my family $10 more per person ($49 per adult) than the Spanish-speaking passengers ($39 per adult) who were also going along. At the Iguana Beach Club, my daughter left her iPhone behind, which Criss said he would retrieve and meet me at the market area near the ship. When Criss did not show up or call me (as he had promised), we called the Beach Club and confirmed that Criss' employee Jose had picked it up and signed for it. When I called Criss, he told me they had looked, but no one could find the iPhone. Then I told him that the Beach Club had confirmed that his employee now had it. Criss had a conversation with Jose in Spanish (who apparently was standing next to him) while I was on the phone, he told me, "good news, we have the phone here". I spent the next two weeks calling Criss and emailing him in an attempt to get the phone back. He kept assuring me that he would send it. Finally, he told me it would cost $75 to send the phone to the U.S., which I sent him immediately via PayPal. But he will not sent the phone. I informed him that I would be posting this warning to all Cruisers going to Progresso, but he still has not sent my daughter's phone. Perhaps he has already sold it and cannot get it back. At this point, between our $500 iPhone and my $75 I sent him for shipping, I figure he has taken me for $575 plus what I overpaid to go to the Iguana Beach Club.

If you are looking for a beach day at Progresso, I recommend you go through Carnival's "Day of Leisure" Excursion or you use another tour operator, but do not use Criss Tours.

That's me , Buddy V. ,and daughter.We like Progreso pretty much. Going to Merida by taxi, $70 for all 4 of us, was nice.

xclpgg.jpg

My family had a very poor experience in March with Criss Tours in Progresso and we would strongly recommend not using this tour operator. When we scheduled a tour to go to Silcer Beach Club and arrived at Progresso on Carnival, Criss told us that we had to go to Iguana Beach Club instead. We learned later that he charged my family $10 more per person ($49 per adult) than the Spanish-speaking passengers ($39 per adult) who were also going along. At the Iguana Beach Club, my daughter left her iPhone behind, which Criss said he would retrieve and meet me at the market area near the ship. When Criss did not show up or call me (as he had promised), we called the Beach Club and confirmed that Criss' employee Jose had picked it up and signed for it. When I called Criss, he told me they had looked, but no one could find the iPhone. Then I told him that the Beach Club had confirmed that his employee now had it. Criss had a conversation with Jose in Spanish (who apparently was standing next to him) while I was on the phone, he told me, "good news, we have the phone here". I spent the next two weeks calling Criss and emailing him in an attempt to get the phone back. He kept assuring me that he would send it. Finally, he told me it would cost $75 to send the phone to the U.S., which I sent him immediately via PayPal. But he will not sent the phone. I informed him that I would be posting this warning to all Cruisers going to Progresso, but he still has not sent my daughter's phone. Perhaps he has already sold it and cannot get it back. At this point, between our $500 iPhone and my $75 I sent him for shipping, I figure he has taken me for $575 plus what I overpaid to go to the Iguana Beach Club.

If you are looking for a beach day at Progresso, I recommend you go through Carnival's "Day of Leisure" Excursion or you use another tour operator, but do not use Criss Tours.

I've never heard of Criss Tours but have had excellent service from Autoprogreso and their tours and would recommend them.

• 3 weeks later...

We took a tour of Progreso and Merida, and had a Great time.

Learning the history of this part of the Yucatan was great.

Not just wanting to hang out close to the bar scene near to the pier, there is much there.

Just can't wait to return, and continue tasting and seeing the area.

Also, thanks go out to Pedro, and Russel who took us on a great adventure through their country.

I'll post more details on another thread.:)

Edited by mal1999

• 4 weeks later...

I cruise with a group of friends. I was the only one that had been to Progreso. I told them I wanted to just "hang at the beach" but they could look at other things like going into Merida and ruins and such.

Half stayed on the ship and half went into Progreso. And, they all LOVED it. The Progeso group split up with some of us finding a beach bar (don't remember which one) and the others shopped and got massages. It's just a nice easy day to get out in the sunshine and walk around, put your toes in the water and eat some good food and just enjoy. The locals are friendly and the service is great. Really, what's not to love??

• 4 weeks later...
I am looking forward to Progresso! Wife chose the Uxmal excursion, and I am just as excited to make the Progresso stop as the Coz stop. 3 weeks away...!

Thinking of the Uxmal excursion...how did you like it? Who did you book with...ship or private?

If private, would you worry about not getting back to ship on time? Was their buses/van comfortable and could you see and hear well?

Appreciate your feedback

smiles/doreen

• 1 year later...
Thinking of the Uxmal excursion...how did you like it? Who did you book with...ship or private?

If private, would you worry about not getting back to ship on time? Was their buses/van comfortable and could you see and hear well?

Appreciate your feedback

smiles/doreen

Although I am not the person that you asked .. I will chime in and highly recommend checking out Uxmal. I would take the ship's tour as it is an all day excursion. I personally would not book a non ship sponsored excursion because there is not a lot of time to spare when the tour gets back. Uxmal is a good hour and a half away from the pier.

We went on the Uxmal excursion in September 2012 and had a fantastic time! The bus was air conditioned and comfy. They give you a sandwich and a piece of fruit and a bottle of water for the ride up.

The guides were simply top notch! They were very knowledgeable and entertaining. The pride they exuded when speaking of their Mayan ancestors and culture was evident and very endearing.

The ruins were really cool and grounds were beautiful! There is a gift shop and restaurant with good food and cold cervezas on property.

If you go prepare to do a lot of walking and climbing. It is well worth it though.

The only draw back was it is hot as Hades, which is to be expected in September.