Everything you need to know about the port of la romana

hallsn3961

Thanks Hallsn

How much time did you spend in Altos? Did you by chance go into the cigar shop and if so can you give any info on it (did they seem to have a large selection?) Did they have any good shopping there?

I read somewhere that if you are not on the shuttle you have to pay a fee to get into Altos - do you know if that was true?

Thanks again

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
What a great way to show everyone there is something to do there! I think we will do the same thing when we go. You read so many negative things here about this place & you just showed us it is not true. Thank you

Just an fyi for those who haven't researched the options for this port, there are many great excursions offered by Seavis Tours and Pro Excursions (and others) with powerboat or cat sails to Saona Island and Catalina Island. Not all are available to day visitors, but there are some excellent excursions that are tailored to Carnival cruisers.

Our first cruise to La Romana I had found the Saona Island Special that Seavis offers while researching and that was one of our best days of any cruise. When we stayed at Dreams La Romana we enjoyed a daysail on the luxury cat Quetzal with Pro Excursions. We sailed to Catalina and spent time snorkeling the Aquarium and the Wall, and enjoyed a gorgeous beach. We also motored up the River Chavon and sailed along the coast by Casa De Campo where all the luxury homes are located.

So if interested in seeing the natural beauty around Bayahibe and Dominicus look at these and other excursions. These are both top-notch outfits, and you don't pay until you arrive to the excursion. They also work with the port schedule change Carnival often makes.

Just want to let others know how great these excursions are if you are looking for something.

I just noticed the title of this thread - but there is soooo much more to experience than that!

Some folks actually hang in town or get a day pass and spend their time by the pool bar or the crowded beach at Dreams La Romana...what a shame because there is so much natural beauty easily accessible. That's understandable if you have physical limitations or aren't interested in experiencing what the destination has to offer. For others read the reviews on Seavis and Pro E that I mentioned.

Or just share a taxi to the public beach in Dominicus, very nice beach, then take the $1 guagua (small bus) back to Bayahibe and see that town. Great lunch by the water in both towns, and I always stop in to get cigars at Bayahibe Cigars in Dominicus. Just a nice, relaxing day where you can meet local fishermen and buy some mamajuana or nice Larimar jewelry.

Thanks to the OP for sharing their visit to Altos de Chavon, that's another option if you want an easy day. But you can experience more of nature and the people living there just by looking at some of the excellent tours, as well as taking self-excursions as mentioned.

Enjoy your visit!

Edited by blue_water

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Doesn't look like there is much to do there except walk around.

Yes the options in the video are fine for someone who always stays with the cruise line excursion groups, or just doesn't have any interest in seeing and experiencing the beauty of the area or the nearby islands. We spent 2 weeks in nearby Bayahibe and never had a desire to go to Altos de Chavon because you can see it in pictures and youtube videos. There is just so much to do at this port and your time is precious.

With the independent Seavis and Pro E excursion options you can feel very safe and in good hands, AND have much better stories to share in the MDR that evening! ;)

Yes the options in the video are fine for someone who always stays with the cruise line excursion groups, or just doesn't have any interest in seeing and experiencing the beauty of the area or the nearby islands. We spent 2 weeks in nearby Bayahibe and never had a desire to go to Altos de Chavon because you can see it in pictures and youtube videos. There is just so much to do at this port and your time is precious.

With the independent Seavis and Pro E excursion options you can feel very safe and in good hands, AND have much better stories to share in the MDR that evening! ;)

We're going with a Seavis excursion. Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Thank you for sharing your video. This is probably what we'll do. We don't care for catamarans and/or snorkeling.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That is a very touristy option and there is so much beauty and real history to experience while in port here. If in port long enough have you looked at the excursions to Santo Domingo? Or a river cruise with a stop at a more authentic village?

Just a thought...the title of this thread (Everything you need to know about the port of la romana) still makes me chuckle :D

That is a very touristy option and there is so much beauty and real history to experience while in port here. If in port long enough have you looked at the excursions to Santo Domingo? Or a river cruise with a stop at a more authentic village?

Just a thought...the title of this thread (Everything you need to know about the port of la romana) still makes me chuckle :D

Thank you. I'm having a hard time finding any real "sightseeing" tour. I'll check out your suggestions.

It is very common to read of folks who are having a hard time finding something they want to do at this port, especially not through the ship. La Romana requires a little more homework that the more popular ports, and after some research you can find something that interests you. The subject of this thread is probably the easiest option but also the most boring, at least in our opinion. Don't settle for something too easy and you will be rewarded with a great story for your dining partners that night!

La Romana is now one of our most memorable ports, and as a result we returned for a two-week stay to explore more of the natural beauty. So try googling sightseeing or other excursions to see if anything interests you. You're not interested in a catamaran or in snorkeling, but have you looked at the powerboat excursion Seavis Tours offers to Saona Island? Not just beach time, but a guided tour with a visit to a sandbar with starfish, and a ride along the rocks where birds and iguanas live. They also offer land tours, and there are other excellent independent outfits. Some folks just get a day pass to the Dreams Resort which is not something I'd recommend because you can do that anywhere, but it's better than staying by the ship IMHO.

Enjoy your research ;)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...