Cruising out of San Juan, PR

Dan2k11

Hi everyone,

My family has booked a southern carribean cruise out of San Juan in March, 2013. I was wondering if anyone has any tips/info regarding San Juan, both with regards to the port and the airport. We will be arriving a day early on a Satuday for our cruise that leaves on a Sunday. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi everyone,

My family has booked a southern carribean cruise out of San Juan in March, 2013. I was wondering if anyone has any tips/info regarding San Juan, both with regards to the port and the airport. We will be arriving a day early on a Satuday for our cruise that leaves on a Sunday. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Don't book your return flight until at least 12:30. When you first get to the airport after getting off the ship you have to take your bags (checked and carry-on) to an agriculture check BEFORE you go to the airline to check in.

I am taking that same cruise next week and will be posting a review afterwards, so watch for my review. I'm sure I will have alot of tips. If you are new to this board ask any questions you might have. Everyone has been extremely helpful.

Don't book your return flight until at least 12:30. When you first get to the airport after getting off the ship you have to take your bags (checked and carry-on) to an agriculture check BEFORE you go to the airline to check in.

Is this new since 2008? I don't remember having to do this when we flew back after a cruise back then.

We went on that cruise in April 2010. LOVED IT! We arrived the same day the ship sailed (early am), and stayed over 1 night when we returned. Stayed at The Sheraton right by the port and it worked out great. Old San Juan was right there and could walk or take the trolley all over that area. Hope to go there again one day. So much to see and do in so little time...

Hi everyone,

We love to cruise out of SJ however we mentally prepare for the head ache that comes from the airport. Lets just say that the airport is poorly layed out and a zoo. The port is nothing special just ok in my opinion.

we always stay 1 nite post cruise in san juan. The cheaper cost of the flight on a weekday makes the hotel cost wash out about even. We get to enjoy one more day on vacation and miss the weekend chaos in the airport.

I cruised out of San Juan in February. Another tip - get to the airport around 9:00-9:30 and it should be ok. We noticed that the later in the day, the worse the crowds. The security line backed up and it looked like they were held up for a good while. I just hate standing in long lines for security! At least once your through, you can sit, have a coffee, talk, get in touch with family back home on your phone, etc. while you wait for your flight. I think our flight left at 1:30.

We also flew in a day ahead of time. You can go to the port and drop off your luggage with porters fairly early in the day (10:30 or so I think when we did). Then we went to a fort. We went to check in and get our S&S cards around 12:30 without a wait. We ate lunch at the buffet, then left to see the other fort. Walked back to the ship, had a margarita across the street, went back on the ship to get ready for dinner.

We love cruising out of San Juan! We went a day early and also stayed at The Sheraton. Perfect location for wandering around Old San Juan. We asked for, and received, an upgrade on our room so we were facing the port area. Watched the Carnival Victory come right in and dock right there. Taxi cab fees are regulated but be sure to ask the rate before getting in just to be sure they are honest about it.

We stayed one night post cruise at the Marriott Stellaris which was incredible! If you can add just one more night to your vacation, the Marriott is worth every nickel - in my opinion. It's sure true that the airport is disorganized chaos. Be certain to do the agriculture bag scan before you get in any line - otherwise you'll be sent back and then there's a really long line with all the other people who had no clue they needed to do it first. Just be patient in the airport and you'll be fine.

Our cruise out of San Juan was our absolute favorite - but for us the airfare to get there was outrageous even going in a day early and staying a day post cruise but I suppose that just depends on where you're flying in from. It's the only reason we haven't booked another cruise out of San Juan but it's definitely at the top of our wish list!

Pier: 4 in Old San Juan

When you arrive, there will be so many people milling around that you may not know exactly where to go. The entrance to the pier is in the exact middle between the two drive ways that go onto the pier.

There are porters, but it would be very easy to hand carry your own checked baggage up to the security drop off.

You can start checking in at about 10:30 or so. They started boarding the ship at noon.

Just returned from San Juan and the Carnival Victory.

We were at the port around 9:30 a.m. Stood in line until around 11:30. Up to the lobby to check-in. Waited until 12:15 Then on to ship. Eating lunch by 12:30.

Did self assist to get off ship. At 7:00 A.M. they started letting people off. Through customs by 7:15 a.m. Taxi to airport got there around 7:45 a.m.

Agri check took 10 minutes at most. Through security and sitting at gate by 8:20 a.m.

This was easter weekend I'm talking about. Maybe we had the perfect situation flying out but had NO PROBLEM whatsoever.

When flying in to San Juan get a porter to take your bags, they will take you past the long line of people waiting for a cab. It was well worth the money to skip the taxi line.

Pre-cruise we booked through Priceline and got the Intercontinental hotel a fantastic pool are and beach bar.

Is this new since 2008? I don't remember having to do this when we flew back after a cruise back then.

Its not new. It's always been this way for as long as I can remember (and I've been flying from/to Puerto Rico for +35 years).

All checked bags must go through USDA screening before checking in for a flight. If you are only traveling with carry ons, those don't need to go through the USDA checkpoint (although last time I flew to San Juan, the USDA agent asked me to have my carry on inspected as well, but that's been the only time).

If you use porters in San Juan, they will automatically make a stop at the USDA checkpoint before proceeding to the airline counter.

We cruised out of SJ this past March. We were off the ship and in a cab to the airport by 7:25. At the airport things were very slow for check in and TSA however the USGA was quiick and painless. Not saying it is always like this just pointing out that it may be luck of the draw. We had an 11:05 flight and ended up waiting two hours at the gate.

I don't know remember having to do anything special with out luggage or have any special checks when we returned from our cruise in San Juan either. Having said that, I also will NEVER EVER cruise from San Juan again either. The ship was wonderful, the ports were wonderful but it was not a Caribbean Cruise. It was a Puerto Rican / Latino cruise with nothing but Spanish speaking people and salsa music. The ports were wonderful; ship life...not so much.

We stayed one night before and one night after our cruise last winter in San Juan and it worked out perfectly. We loved sailing from this port.

For the night before the cruise we stayed out closer to the airport at the Hampton Inn and Suites. It was PERFECT as we had a very long travel day, were exhausted and were waiting on lost luggage. The pool area was just what we needed with a great BBQ and swim up bar. It is more "out of the way" but that is ok, we were too tired to do any looking around that day anyhow. We booked right through the hotel's website.

For our stay after the cruise we stayed at the Sheraton OSJ and it is a great hotel with a wonderful location if you are wanting to see the sights. You can cross the street and hop on a free trolley that will take you around to shops and restaurants. It is easy to get out to El Morro from there as well.

We were travelling with children (they were 11 and 8 at the time) and both hotels worked well for our family.

The only thing I would caution is to do some research and try to nail the Sheraton through Hotwire or something like that as it is very expensive otherwise.

Everyone is correct, you need to put your luggage through the Ag check first, it is outside the airport, a little scanner. We had NO issues with the airport being a zoo but then again we stayed an extra day. We also found that staying an extra night was cheaper than paying what the airlines wanted to fly back the day we disembarked.

I am taking that same cruise next week and will be posting a review afterwards, so watch for my review. I'm sure I will have alot of tips. If you are new to this board ask any questions you might have. Everyone has been extremely helpful.

I would love to read your review as I am booked for 2013 as well. Which port will you post in, the carnival port or the puerto Rico board?

Would please let me know if you can order additional bottles of alcohol while on board from room service. I am going to order from bon voyage in advance, but uf my sons run iut I wanted to know if victory had the option of bottles fron room service. Thanks and have a great cruise.

Its not new. It's always been this way for as long as I can remember (and I've been flying from/to Puerto Rico for +35 years).

All checked bags must go through USDA screening before checking in for a flight. If you are only traveling with carry ons, those don't need to go through the USDA checkpoint (although last time I flew to San Juan, the USDA agent asked me to have my carry on inspected as well, but that's been the only time).

If you use porters in San Juan, they will automatically make a stop at the USDA checkpoint before proceeding to the airline counter.

Now that you mention the porters I think that is what we have done both times we flew out of San Juan. We never lug our luggage - It is worth the $ to have them do it!

Better yet, spend the night and fly out the following morning - nice extra day to unwind and the airport is MUCH less crowded.

The agricultural line can be quite long on cruise days.

It was not a Caribbean Cruise. It was a Puerto Rican / Latino cruise with nothing but Spanish speaking people and salsa music.

Uuuh, you do know that Puerto Rico is part of the Caribbean and that the latin culture is one of many found in the region, right? What were you expecting?

Also, it didn't dawn on you that since you were sailing from Puerto Rico there would be many Puertoricans onboard? Its not any different than sailing from Texas where many Texans would be sailing from.

Its really mind boggling when people travel to other parts of the world and dont take the time to learn and embrace the new cultures that they are about to be exposed to, and then come back complaining that it wasn't "what they expected", or dont enjoy the experience unless they are treated the same way they'd be treated back home. Why even bother to leave the U.S? :rolleyes:

Uuuh, you do know that Puerto Rico is part of the Caribbean and that the latin culture is one of many found in the region, right? What were you expecting?

Also, it didn't dawn on you that since you were sailing from Puerto Rico there would be many Puertoricans onboard? Its not any different than sailing from Texas where many Texans would be sailing from.

Its really mind boggling when people travel to other parts of the world and dont take the time to learn and embrace the new cultures that they are about to be exposed to, and then come back complaining that it wasn't "what they expected", or dont enjoy the experience unless they are treated the same way they'd be treated back home. Why even bother to leave the U.S? :rolleyes:

Honestly, no, it didn't dawn on me that it would primarily Puerto Ricans on board and even I had thought about that it would not have swayed my decision to take that cruise. I chose that cruise for the ports it went to. I have no problem with other culture at all. I LOVED the people from Dominica. The people from Barbados could not have been more welcoming and friendly. My ULTIMATE DREAM TRIP is a 2 month trip to Africa to experience all it has to offer.

My disappointment with the trip was I was expecting a Caribbean Tropical Cruise with reggae music, steel drums, and other "beach" music. I didn't expect it to be ALL salsa and ALL spanish. I didn't expect the Puerto Ricans to be so loud, rude, and obnoxious. It was a Spanish/Latino/Salsa cruise not a Caribbean Cruise. Of the people who came on the cruise who were NOT Puerto Rican were ready to get off the ship when it came into port. Not only will I not sail from Puerto Rico again, I will avoid any cruises that even stop there.

we always stay 1 nite post cruise in san juan. The cheaper cost of the flight on a weekday makes the hotel cost wash out about even. We get to enjoy one more day on vacation and miss the weekend chaos in the airport.

I completely agree. We went last month and decided to come back on Monday. Saved having to deal with the chaos on Sunday, didnt have to get off the ship until 10:30am, and had a great relaxing day at the Courtyard Marriott Isla Verde (right on the beach and near airport)

Has anyone else experianced what mckrob1981 has with the people onboard from Puerto Rico? I would rather not cruise with loud obnoxious people, regardless of their background and this concerns me. On our a last cruise there were a few people to we could not stand but it was the minority not the majority. What is your opinion on the people aboard these Southern Caribbean routes out of San Juan.

Archived