excursion credit

CruisinCrow

I see Carnival is offering a $100 credit towards excursions on some sailings. Does anyone know if you can use the credit for the Behind the Fun tour? Or is it only for shore excursions? We usually do our own thing in port but I wouldn't mind trying Behind the Fun.

That's a good question and I haven't seen that asked or addressed yet. I wouldn't mind finding out though!

I would like to find out too. I booked a cruise over the weekend since I may very well have to cancel my scheduled Sunshine cruise. I wanted to make sure I could get the exact cabins I wanted. Anyway I booked under this excursion credit promo because it was only $30 more. I noticed on some sailings the increased price is equal to the excursion credit. And the thing is you can’t book anything online in advance.

I’m sure we’ll use it on something since we have it. Behind the Fun is an option I would consider.

We booked too last week and took advantage of this offer. It only cost me an extra $10 pp (or $20 total) and we get $80 free money on shore excursions.

According to my PVP, the money can only be used on shore excursions and they can only be excursions booked on board. It is one time use, meaning that if an excursion costs $29.99 you get it free, but lose out on the other $50.01. If the excursion costs $129.99, you only pay $50. The offer is only available to the first and second person in the cabin, not the third and fourth.

Now this is interesting. I decided to call and ask if there were any restrictions on excursions that could be purchased with this credit. I was told three times by this rep that the credit can be used for anything. She said (and I quote) “this particularly OBC is listed as an excursion credit to encourage guests to book the hosted excursions but you can use it for any of your onboard expenses. To purchased pictures, for drinks, our specialty restaurants, etc.” Huh? Doesn’t make much sense to me but she was very confident in her answer. I reiterated that I was referring to the current promotion listed on my booking made on the 15th. She looked it up and said yes, you can use it for anything??? :confused:

Now this is interesting. I decided to call and ask if there were any restrictions on excursions that could be purchased with this credit. I was told three times by this rep that the credit can be used for anything. She said (and I quote) “this particularly OBC is listed as an excursion credit to encourage guests to book the hosted excursions but you can use it for any of your onboard expenses. To purchased pictures, for drinks, our specialty restaurants, etc.” Huh? Doesn’t make much sense to me but she was very confident in her answer. I reiterated that I was referring to the current promotion listed on my booking made on the 15th. She looked it up and said yes, you can use it for anything??? :confused:

Others have said it cannot be used for on board purchases - only excursions. As usual, 3 different answers from Carnival.

GUEST APPRECIATION - SHORE EXCURSION CREDIT

Cruise rates are in US dollars, per person and based on double occupancy. Onboard Credit offer is non-transferable and is provided as a non-refundable onboard credit to your Sail & Sign account of $50 per person up to a maximum of $100 per stateroom on select 2-5 day sailings and $80 per person up to a maximum of $160 per stateroom on select 6+ day sailings. Onboard credit is applicable for shore excursion purchases only and cannot be used to reserve shore excursions prior to sailing. Onboard credit may not be applied to cruise fare or Government taxes and fees.

Offer is capacity controlled and is not combinable with any other discount or promotional offer. Category restrictions and exclusions apply. Carnival reserves the right to withdraw and/or change offer at any time without prior notice. Cruise Fare does not include government taxes and fees. Government taxes and fees range from $37.06 to $319.82, and are assessed on a per guest basis and according to the itinerary. Guest may select the stateroom, but a minimum purchase of category 4A is required. Subsequent upgrades in lieu of price protection will no longer be offered. Cancellation penalties apply. Offer bookings made as part of a group will include amenities. Offer is applicable on sailings between 11/13/13 – 12/31/14. Valid on new bookings only. Must book between 11/13/13-11/23/13. Please request rate code OS4. Ships' Registry: The Bahamas, Panama & Malta.

under balance due on my Cruise Manager it is listed as:

Onboard Credit $160.00

Edited by ibcnusoon

I just switched to this rate to net a $40 reduction in price. I looked at my documents and it reads: Promotional Onboard Credit $160 Shore Excursion Nonrefundable.

So to me, you can only use it for shore excursions. And I will be heeding the advice of the above poster that it can only be used for ONE shore excursion.

There are some higher priced excursions we wouldn't normally reserve that might be fun to try since we have the credit. We do end up with a lower price at the end so there is value to it.

If the rate drops without the shore excursion credit before we hit final payment, I will be moving out of this rate code though. I don't like conditions like that hahaha.

We added a room to our booking for our friends. The PVP asked if we wanted to pay 10.00 more then we could get an excursion free. I said well we already have the cabana purchased with our room but I could cancel it. He then said all the excursions have to be booked on board and used as shore excursions so I probably would not get a cabana. I took a different rate. He seems to be consistent with everything I have seen in writing.

I forgot about this thread, but I have called Carnival 3 times about this obc. Only the first rep, which I posted about above, seems to have made things up as she went along. The following two calls were consistent that the obc is only for excursion purchases. Makes sense as that is what it's described as in the promo. Also consistent was that it is $80pp for the first two passengers in the cabin only and it must be used that way. No restriction on just using it for one excursion. You can use the entire $80pp even if it's spent on more than one excursion. There's nothing in the fine print saying you are restricted to one excursion - so I will print out their own rules should I still have this credit when we sail. I was fine paying $30 more to get it, but if a decent price drop comes along and wipes it out, I'm fine with that too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I forgot about this thread, but I have called Carnival 3 times about this obc. Only the first rep, which I posted about above, seems to have made things up as she went along. The following two calls were consistent that the obc is only for excursion purchases. Makes sense as that is what it's described as in the promo. Also consistent was that it is $80pp for the first two passengers in the cabin only and it must be used that way. No restriction on just using it for one excursion. You can use the entire $80pp even if it's spent on more than one excursion. There's nothing in the fine print saying you are restricted to one excursion - so I will print out their own rules should I still have this credit when we sail. I was fine paying $30 more to get it, but if a decent price drop comes along and wipes it out, I'm fine with that too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the update. We purchased for an extra $20 so well worth it since we plan on taking an excursion in Antigua, but if the rate drops significantly or ES pops up at a lower rate I may change.

• 2 weeks later...

My DH did the Behind the Scene tour and it was charged as an excursion...not shore but still an excursion. Best to call Carnival and ask directly. Might get different answers but Better than speculation.

Edited by 2 cruzen

First post here; I booked through my TA and was told I was getting $100 OBC for whatever, but when I checked my booking it said for shore excursions. Concerned I went back to my TA who advised that they had contacted Carnival and it was explained to them that the $100 could be used for any onboard purchase (drinks, food, etc.). I did my own detective work and called Carnival directly and spoke to a CSR who said that it was absolutely ONLY for shore excursions booked while onboard.

So, Carnival is consistent in being inconsistent.

Either way, I got a sweet deal; so I'm going to just go with it...

Edited by IdleChill

My DH did the Behind the Scene tour and it was charged as an excursion...not shore but still an excursion. Best to call Carnival and ask directly. Might get different answers but Better than speculation.

That's very helpful.

I was planning to call them over the weekend but your response is exactly what I was looking for....personal onboard experience.

Which ship & date was the tour?

Thanks.

I called them and the CSR said its not possible; but then added that the on-board response might be different.

Were you able to use the 'Shore Excursion' credit towards the 'Behind the Fun' tour?

The shore excursions that Carnival offers, do not appeal to us. We would rather do our own thing. So it would be great if we could use this credit towards the BTF tour.