New Cunarder? -- Queen Anne!

whylion

Just got off QM2 a few days ago. Our wine steward mentioned a new ship to be called Queen Anne. Has anyone else heard of this? He also said that QE2 had only a couple of years left.

Both just some of the rumours going around.

From what I can recall of what Peter was told, the Chief Engineer was more upbeat about her survival.

Providing she can pass the relevant safety thingamies - of which I think there is not too much concern - it is a matter for the bean counters.

I don't really think that In Vino Veritas is the choicest of phrases here!

Matthew

PS. Who knows. Perhaps Brenda will have fallen from her perch and the next one will be Queen Camilla. I can see that on a Vista......

I keep reading that the QE2 will be leaving the Cunard fleet in a few years. I feel this is very sad. I do hope to sail on her before this happens. I think she is truly a beautiful ship. Does anyone know the future of the QE2 after she leaves the Cunard fleet? I do hope someone will add this magnificent ship to their fleet. Happy Sailing, Joy

I keep reading that the QE2 will be leaving the Cunard fleet in a few years. I feel this is very sad. I do hope to sail on her before this happens. I think she is truly a beautiful ship. Does anyone know the future of the QE2 after she leaves the Cunard fleet? I do hope someone will add this magnificent ship to their fleet. Happy Sailing, Joy

No-one knows. Or at least no-one outside the High Command.

There are four options as I see it.

Someone else runs her. This leaves her falling apart in every way, and having her soul removed by some dreadful downmarket line. If Cunard can't make her pay, she won't pay. Do you really want to see Queen Elizabeth 2 follow the death throes of Queen Elizabeth?

She is preserved. A la Queen Mary. Probably the least unattractive option. Accountants need to be involved, so watch out. Also the bibby corridors - which will probably the the real death of her would be relevant if she were rebuilt as a hotel inside. Working preservation is likely to be too expensive.

She is scrapped. The logical end. In Cunard colours to her death.

She is scuttled in the mid-Atlantic. Probably my favourite option, it graces her with a dignified end in her true environment. Far from accountant friendly, so won't happen.

Now is the time to sail on this magnificent ship. QM2 will be around for years. Miss QE2 now, and you miss her for good.

Matthew

Thank you so much for your answer Mathew. I appreciate it very much. I guess there is not a good solution to this. I definitely hope I have the chance to sail on the QE2. I know it will be a magnificent experience. I was reading about the Winter Crossing. Perhaps I will look into this and see if there are any openings on this sailing. Happy Sailing, Joy

Thank you so much for your answer Mathew. I appreciate it very much. I guess there is not a good solution to this. I definitely hope I have the chance to sail on the QE2. I know it will be a magnificent experience. I was reading about the Winter Crossing. Perhaps I will look into this and see if there are any openings on this sailing. Happy Sailing, Joy

There were certainly openings last week, when a friend booked. I mean no offence to either QM2 or the other one when I suggest that those who haven't sailed on QE2 get round to it.

She's still the only liner working that has served her country in war. That in itself, particularly this year, shouldn't be forgotten.

Let us know if you decide to join us next year - we have a eclectic group of interesting travellers.

Matthew

Thank you Matthew I will look into the openings on the QE2 Winter crossing. Rob(capeboy) is on the same crossing with us on the May 18th sailing and he mentioned he is going to sail on this Winter crossing. It sounds like you have a delightful group of people. I think that might be the sailing that I would enjoy doing. I will let you know. Happy Sailing, Joy

Matthew wrote

"QM2 will be around for years. Miss QE2 now, and you miss her for good".

"I mean no offence to either QM2 or the other one when I suggest that those who haven't sailed on QE2 get round to it".

Matthew

I sometimes find your views and mine in opposite corners, however on this I agree with you completely.

Anyone who loves either ships, Cunard or Liners should book themselves on QE2 while they can. When they annouce the "last voyages" of QE2, not only will they be able to charge what they like but obtaining tickets will be all but impossible. Esp. the "Last Voyage" (which I suspect will only be available to frequent past passengers). Book now, if she lasts a few more years (I do hope so) you could always go again, if you don't, you could miss being a part of history.

Long may she reign!

......PS. Who knows. Perhaps Brenda will have fallen from her perch and the next one will be Queen Camilla. I can see that on a Vista......

Not even Cunard are that stupid :eek:

Just got off QM2 a few days ago. Our wine steward mentioned a new ship to be called Queen Anne. Has anyone else heard of this? He also said that QE2 had only a couple of years left.

It's really a natural progression - timescale is the only unknown factor

Ken

...Anyone who loves either ships, Cunard or Liners should book themselves on QE2 while they can. ........ Book now, if she lasts a few more years (I do hope so) you could always go again, if you don't, you could miss being a part of history.

Long may she reign!

But only for a short cruise though eh Pepper???? ;)

As I know and you suspect, you can have too much of a 'good' thing :eek:

But only for a short cruise though eh Pepper???? ;)

As I know and you suspect, you can have too much of a 'good' thing :eek:

Ken

It's all I could afford this year (honestly, moving house!). But, it gives me the chance to sail on her again!:D Really. Honest. I could. (after my two QM2 trips next year of course, oh and after another QM2 TA in 2009 and then a QV trip and then...).

I was given the definite date for the retirement of QE2 a few years ago, by a waiter from the Queens Grill. He told me, she would retire in 2004, just shows you can’t always believe what you are told.

The true answer is QE2 will stay in service with Cunard, for as long as she makes a profit.

I dread the thought of her ending up in Alang like the Norway (France) slowly falling apart whilst the try to decide what to do with the asbestos.

Even the captain of the QM2 last December admitted that he had heard the rumours of an Anne but confirmed that this is just what it is at this time and he didn't know much more. The subject came up at a CC get-together we had on the QM2 and someone brought up the Queen Anne to him. The name makes sense and is sure popular but I am sure its just an idea floating around somewhere and it sounds like the Captain felt the same way. I think they will only go ahead with another ship if they feel they can get sustainable revenues from adding to their fleet.

As for the future of the QE2? Its way past any other ship in terms of service life but is being kept up rather well and regularly patroned. I like to compare it to a fine older hotel that the owners continue to pour money into. That being said it definitely is a bean counter issue. If Cunard feels the day has come where either the passenger loads are no longer sufficient or the cost of maintaining her has exceeded the reasonable test then the matter becomes clear. At this time she appears still to be a popular gal and many are in the same mode I am in - try her out before she goes (which I am doing this summer). I think after everyone is done trying her out then the time might come. Oh I am sure the powers that be are thinking of the eventual day to replace her but everything is still speculation as far as I know.

So the true answer to both questions is: Who knows? Consider these as possibilities and not much more at this point in time.

David

Who's already thinking of a voyage on the new Queen Anne!

As Donald Rumsfeld once accurately, if unhelpfully, observed, there are known knows, unknown knowns and unknown unknowns. As far as I know Carnival has no un-allocated hulls at the moment - so I guess another Cunarder will not be coming over the horizon much before 2011-2012. If she is to sail alongside the QE2, then 'Queen Anne' is as good a bet as any. If, however, she arrives after the QE2 departs, I would not be at all surprised if they named her QE3 - given the way they have re-written history about how the QE2 got her name. Assuming Brenda is still on the throne, I wonder how she'll react! No news yet on any Royal attendance at QV's naming ceremony....

So we don't know whether there will be another Cunarder (we and I suspect Carnival don't know how scaleable the Cunard brand's appeal is), and if there is, when it will be, and if we did know there was to be another and when it would be, we don't know whether the QE2 will be in service at the same time.....and these are only the known unknowns.....;)

Peter

Peter

So we don't know whether there will be another Cunarder (we and I suspect Carnival don't know how scaleable the Cunard brand's appeal is), and if there is, when it will be, and if we did know there was to be another and when it would be, we don't know whether the QE2 will be in service at the same time.....and these are only the known unknowns.....

... and if QE2 has, heaven forbid, gone to the breakers, ( and not made a floating museum ) then we don't have to put up with a "QE3" - - we can simply enjoy, once again, simply "Queen Elizabeth" ( MAYBE ).

... and if QE2 has, heaven forbid, gone to the breakers, ( and not made a floating museum ) then we don't have to put up with a "QE3" - - we can simply enjoy, once again, simply "Queen Elizabeth" ( MAYBE ).

Well, if Cunard still insisted on QM2 (or 'Queen Mary, too' as her Maj named her!!) after the first one had been out of service for nearly 40 years then it's got to be QE3 - but I think they may want to give the name a rest and find a new queen.

Ken

I think they may want to give the name a rest and find a new queen. Ken

Any particular reason Ken? Its their best chance of getting Brenda to Southampton again. I think we should start a book on who will name QV - my bet would be big-ears....no chance for Brenda....and Anne christened Aurora....so that won't do.....

Everytime someone says 'Queen Anne' I mentally reply with 'is dead'......

Peter

PS; For the Cousins - first entry:

http://www.hps.com/~tpg/ukdict/index.php?file=ukdict-7

We'll be testing you later!

Well, if Cunard still insisted on QM2 (or 'Queen Mary, too' as her Maj named her!!) after the first one had been out of service for nearly 40 years then it's got to be QE3 - but I think they may want to give the name a rest and find a new queen.

Ken

As I understand it Ken, since the original "Mary" is still alive in Long Beach the "2" is necessary to distinguish between the two ships. However, when I think of it, P&O did not do that to "Oriana" - so who knows.

Mmm, I guess Cunard do not have too many "Queen" names left. What's going to happen when they add even more ships to their fleet. Perhaps we have to put up with names of 'Dames' - I can picture it now: "I christen this ship Dame Edna!" EEEK :)

Bob.

As I understand it Ken, since the original "Mary" is still alive in Long Beach the "2" is necessary to distinguish between the two ships. However, when I think of it, P&O did not do that to "Oriana" - so who knows.

Mmm, I guess Cunard do not have too many "Queen" names left. What's going to happen when they add even more ships to their fleet. Perhaps we have to put up with names of 'Dames' - I can picture it now: "I christen this ship Dame Edna!" EEEK :)

Bob.

Depending on who dies when.....

Queen Camilla

Queen Katherine

Queen Chelsey (classy, that one!)

Queen Beatrice

Queen Engene

Queen Anne

etc....

Matthew

the original "Mary" is still alive in Long Beach the "2" is necessary to distinguish between the two ships.

Bob,

The original Mary is now a building, not a ship - so there was no need to append the suffix. I think someone thought that since they had a QE'2' they should have a QM'2' - and got their history of how the QE got her '2' wrong in the process. The original intent was to call the QE2 the 'Queen Elizabeth' - but then HM QEII ad-libbed on the day 'I name this ship Queen Elizabeth the Second' and the rest is history.....of course the real Cunard tradition is not to append suffixes - no Mauretania 2, or Caronia 3.......

Peter

Any particular reason Ken? Its their best chance of getting Brenda to Southampton again. I think we should start a book on who will name QV - my bet would be big-ears....no chance for Brenda....and Anne christened Aurora....so that won't do.....

Everytime someone says 'Queen Anne' I mentally reply with 'is dead'......

Peter

PS; For the Cousins - first entry:

http://www.hps.com/~tpg/ukdict/index.php?file=ukdict-7

We'll be testing you later!

I just don't think they will go with another QE so soon - think of all the flack just on this board if they dared pass on 'that' name to a Vista :eek: Her Maj doesn't seem averse to naming Cunarders (her chance for a Queen hat trick!!) - so I wouldn't count her out yet, especially if she thinks someone (such as Gorilla, Duchess of Cornwall) might be encroaching on her prerogative?? ;)

QA - is dead??? Well - you learn something new every day!!! I always think of chair legs??? :eek:

Ken ;)

Archived