Radiance 4/22/12 Macadamia Cruise Nuts - Hawaii to Vancouver

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:49 PM.
Charlotte, NC
6,367 Posts
Joined Feb 2005
Originally posted by Chip and Dale
Our points have been added too whooo hoooooo

How is Lee? I hope he is improving! How is his dad doing today? Our thoughts and prayers are with you!!!!
Dee
Hi Dee!

Sorry to hear you got the Nuts' Bronchitis, too! Hope you shake it soon. Lee is feeling some better today, I think. Yesterday, he kept complaining of the same type heaviness in his chest. He slept most of yesterday.

His father is still bedbound. He is able to move his legs some; he just cannot stand any more. His speech is much more slurred and you just cannot understand him now and he is more agitated and his lungs have more secretions since he is not moving around now.

Congrats on all your future bookings and the JS!

Glad Dennis is feeling some better. Please let him know we had a very good time with both of you. Maybe someday our paths will cross again.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Martha + "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." - Abraham Lincoln

Mariner of The Seas 10/2005; Splendour of the Seas 3/2006; Majesty of the Seas 11/2006, 12/2008, 11/2016; Jewel of the Seas 11/2007, 12/2008; Enchantment of the Seas 5/2008; Radiance of the Seas 2/2010, 11/2010, 4/2012; Monarch of the Seas 6/2010; Serenade of the Seas 12/2013, 1/2017; Liberty of the Seas b2b 12/2014; Brilliance of the Seas 11/2015

Don't cry because it's over......Smile because it happened!
Charlotte, NC
6,367 Posts
Joined Feb 2005
Originally posted by tootts
Good morning Nuts!!!

It was so wonderful meeting all of you - you made our trip super special and it definitely wouldn't have been the same without you!!!!!

Martha & Lee - you & your family are in our prayers - hopefully Dad will continue to improve.

Tom & Mollie - you and your family are also in our prayers this week - comforting thoughts.

To all with the Macadamia Nut Bug - major healing thoughts!!!! We just are down to the "coughing up the lung" cough that those around us enjoy sooooo much Went to the Dr on Monday to make sure it wasn't bronchitis before going to back to work on Tuesday. We got lucky as it sounds like this thing has many insidious levels. We did buy Buckley's in Vancouver on Friday - but I'm getting the impression that this is tougher than Buckleys Who woulda thought anything could be tougher than Buckleys????

Thanks again to all of you for being such terrific, special people

Norma

Hi Norma!

It was so very special meeting you and Mike and meeting in paradise makes it even more special!

Glad to hear you are both in recovery mode, but sorry the cough is lingering so long.

I'm sure work is wondering why you are so quiet now since the thread has slowed down...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Martha + "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." - Abraham Lincoln

Mariner of The Seas 10/2005; Splendour of the Seas 3/2006; Majesty of the Seas 11/2006, 12/2008, 11/2016; Jewel of the Seas 11/2007, 12/2008; Enchantment of the Seas 5/2008; Radiance of the Seas 2/2010, 11/2010, 4/2012; Monarch of the Seas 6/2010; Serenade of the Seas 12/2013, 1/2017; Liberty of the Seas b2b 12/2014; Brilliance of the Seas 11/2015

Don't cry because it's over......Smile because it happened!
Georgian Bay, Ontario
5,002 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
Originally posted by waf125
Hi Dee!

Sorry to hear you got the Nuts' Bronchitis, too! Hope you shake it soon. Lee is feeling some better today, I think. Yesterday, he kept complaining of the same type heaviness in his chest. He slept most of yesterday.

His father is still bedbound. He is able to move his legs some; he just cannot stand any more. His speech is much more slurred and you just cannot understand him now and he is more agitated and his lungs have more secretions since he is not moving around now.

Congrats on all your future bookings and the JS!

Glad Dennis is feeling some better. Please let him know we had a very good time with both of you. Maybe someday our paths will cross again.
Thanks Martha

Once the frogs quit pushing inside my lungs things will be much happier in my chest One dose down and 2 left to go today. Dennis worked from home today so this is a good sign. the beauty of it is I can get really sick quick, but I get better typically quite quick, so fingers crossed. Glad that Lee is doing a little better. Too bad about his dad. This age things sucks, lets not do it!!!!!

We definitely need to cruise together again. We had such a great time with all of our new NUT friends. Remember Great NUTS stick together, even if you have to coat them in chocolate YUM
Dee
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Dee and Dennis
If your Ship doesn't come in..swim out to meet it! Jonathon Winters
The Sorcerer's Apprentice & Her Scepter Carrier
PLUS Eh
Georgian Bay, Ontario
5,002 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
Good morning Nuts!!!

It was so wonderful meeting all of you - you made our trip super special and it definitely wouldn't have been the same without you!!!!!

Martha & Lee - you & your family are in our prayers - hopefully Dad will continue to improve.

Tom & Mollie - you and your family are also in our prayers this week - comforting thoughts.

To all with the Macadamia Nut Bug - major healing thoughts!!!! We just are down to the "coughing up the lung" cough that those around us enjoy sooooo much Went to the Dr on Monday to make sure it wasn't bronchitis before going to back to work on Tuesday. We got lucky as it sounds like this thing has many insidious levels. We did buy Buckley's in Vancouver on Friday - but I'm getting the impression that this is tougher than Buckleys Who woulda thought anything could be tougher than Buckleys????

Thanks again to all of you for being such terrific, special people

Norma
Hope my sweet Morma is doing better tonight and not coughing up a lung I will be able to take that one on for you I think that you are right, it was a strain of bubonic plague that we caught and there is no buckleys tough enough to kill it.

I shall now go and prepare a feast for us to eat.....this is code for 2 cans of soup and possibly a hot cross bun. Kinda does not come close to the apps in the DL and then dinner in the dining room or specialty restaurant now does it. Although this means I have been off most of the week, it would have been far more fun to work than do this. I cannot believe how this bug hit all of us. It must have had a special NUT gene or something in it!!!!
Miss you guys all sooooo much We definitely need a reunion!!!
Dee
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Dee and Dennis
PLUS Eh
Michigan
390 Posts
Joined Jun 2011
Originally posted by WifesChef
Yes I did, and it did, and the serving just wasn't big enough,

I agree, it was not a big enough serving for such a delicious chocolate treat!

We also found some khalua (sp?) cheesecake in the Windjammer that was VERY good too!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past Cruises
RCCL Jewel of the Seas - Holiday Cruise - Dec 2012
RCCL Radiance of the Seas - Hawaii - April 2012
RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas-Alaska - May 2010
RCCL Majesty of the Seas-Bahamas-Sept 2009
RCCL Freedom of the Seas-Eastern Caribbean-May 2008
RCCL Explorer of the Seas-Eastern Caribbean-April 2006
Holland America - Alaska - August 2001
Ontario, Canada
871 Posts
Joined May 2006
The difference with the Radiance was 1 less night in Maui and no overnight in Honolulu, it was 1st and last night in Honolulu which was kind of wierd. We didn't realize it was different than the one we were actually on at the time, so we booked Radiance 2014. We booked the JS on Rhapsody, May 6, 2014 because the balcony was $2899 and the JS was only $3049. The balcony cabins on this ship are small to start out with so the JS is not too bad. We haven't done a JS in years so what the hey! The double points was just a good thing that is thrown in in this case. When looking at the difference in the price the JS wins hands down for a difference of $300. I'm pretty sure with all of the ramblings about changes to the C and A, we will most likely miss out on Diamond Plus unless we can do some fast cruising which is tough with our schedules, but ya never know

Everyone seems to want to do the TA's now and yet they used to go so cheap. We did not love the sea days travelling to Vancouver which is most likely how all of us picked up the crud on this cruise without going outside for fresh air and being in closed quarters. But it was quite a civilized way to travel to Vancouver! And we had a blast with all of our NUTS
Dee
Dee - we are looking at booking again for 2013 or 2014. I don't really like the itineary for the Radiance either so we are looking at the Rhapsody. The comments don't seem to be as good for the Rhapsody but the itineary is better.

Don't get discouraged with the sea days to Vancouver, the last 2 times we had great weather for the first 3 days. We just happened to hit some not so great weather this time. I found it long too! I so wish I was back in Hawaii, I am missing it already.

PS - Hi George (THEMiz) our bus organizer for our Aug 31st trip!

Angela
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
1994 - Carnival Celebration - Carribean, 1995 - Carnival Fantasy - Carribean, 1997 - Holland America Statendam - Alaska, 1999 - Carnival Sensation - Carribean, 2001 - Carnival Spirit - Panama, 2003 - Carnival Spirit - Carribean, 2006 -Crown Princess - Carribean, 2006 - RCCL -Serenade of the Seas-Hawaii-Vancouver, 2007 -Celebrity Galaxy - Trans Atlantic Puerto Rico - Rome, 2008 - Celebrity Millennium-Aust/New Zealand, 2009 - Celebrity Century - Trans Atlantic Miami - Amsterdam, 2009 - Celebrity Constellation - Carribean, 2010 - Carnival Spirit - Hawaii - Vancouver, 2010 - Celebrity Xpedition - Galapagos, 2011 - Celebrity Summit - Bermuda, 2011 - RCCL-Jewel of the Seas - Caribbean-14 night Boston-Tampa, 2012 - RCCL-Radiance of the Seas-Hawaii-Vancouver, 2012 - RCCL-Jewel of the Seas-London-Boston (Iceland), 2012 - Princess Ruby - Caribbean, 2013 - RCCL-Rhapsody of the Seas-Hawaii-Vancouver, 2014 -Celebrity Infinity - Antarctica, 2014 - Celebrity Summit - Bermuda, 2015 - Celebrity Millennium - Gems of Indonesia - 2015 - Princess Star - Alaska - 2016 - Celebrity Millennium - Hawai - Vancouver - 2016 - RCCL - Rhapsody of the Seas - Venice/Greece - 2017 - Sydney - Singapore
TigerTown , oHIo 44646
4,819 Posts
Joined Sep 2003
The difference with the Radiance was 1 less night in Maui and no overnight in Honolulu, it was 1st and last night in Honolulu which was kind of wierd. We didn't realize it was different than the one we were actually on at the time, so we booked Radiance 2014.

I never noticed they no overnighter in Maui
Glad we are doing it in 2013.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Go Tigers !

Ferry 'Cross The Mersey - 1997 - Liverpool
TigerTown , oHIo 44646
4,819 Posts
Joined Sep 2003
The balcony cabins on this ship are small to start out with so the JS is not too bad. We haven't done a JS in years so what the hey! The double points was just a good thing that is thrown in in this case.

Everyone seems to want to do the TA's now and yet they used to go so cheap. We did not love the sea days travelling to Vancouver which is most likely how all of us picked up the crud on this cruise without going outside for fresh air and being in closed quarters. But it was quite a civilized way to travel to Vancouver! And we had a blast with all of our NUTS
Dee

When I am on the Radiance I do the AFT nothing wrong with those size balcony's

I have never been on the Radiance when there wasn't an out break of the CRUD, when we sailed from Hawaii to Bora Bora there were something like 114 cases reported.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Go Tigers !

TigerTown , oHIo 44646
4,819 Posts
Joined Sep 2003
Originally posted by JAKE3337
Don't get discouraged with the sea days to Vancouver, the last 2 times we had great weather for the first 3 days. We just happened to hit some not so great weather this time. I found it long too! I so wish I was back in Hawaii, I am missing it already.

Angela

Hi Angela

I will look forward to a complete report on the Hawaii to Vancouver Cruise.

George

PS Welcome Back
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Go Tigers !

Georgian Bay, Ontario
5,002 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
Originally posted by JAKE3337
Dee - we are looking at booking again for 2013 or 2014. I don't really like the itineary for the Radiance either so we are looking at the Rhapsody. The comments don't seem to be as good for the Rhapsody but the itineary is better.

Angela
Hi Angela

We were on our balcony for the first 2 days, so not a problem. You never know crossing the Pacific or the Atlantic what you will get, so we went prepared. Getting sick the last day didn't help, but we still don't like sea days. It was nice playing cards for 2 of them, but that is most likely how we wound up spreading the bug so easily and quickly among all of the NUTS! I will know better than bothering to bring books with me next time, can't read if it is rough, although Dennis can.

We would rather do Radiance, but the itinerary is no where near as good, not sure what happened there, so we will do Rhapsody and suffer through a smaller ship. At least we will be in a JS, so that is a plus. We realized after Radiance that we prefer the ships with the promenades much better.
Dee
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Dee and Dennis
PLUS Eh
Georgian Bay, Ontario
5,002 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
Originally posted by TheMiz
When I am on the Radiance I do the AFT nothing wrong with those size balcony's

I have never been on the Radiance when there wasn't an out break of the CRUD, when we sailed from Hawaii to Bora Bora there were something like 114 cases reported.
Can't do afts, especially with megga sea days, I suffer from motion sickness, so midship is best. We were on the hump on 8 and that was ok. Balcony was really big, although it didn't dawn on them to give us a lounger which would have been great. We did have 2 chairs and an actual big table, so that was nice. Great balcony, we so looked forward to it again for Hawaii, but alas it is not to be

This bug seems to have hit everyone in our group and then some. The cruise before they had a NORO outbreak, that would have been worse I think, but this bug really sucks! I haven't needed an inhaler in over 10 years!
Dee
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Dee and Dennis
PLUS Eh
TigerTown , oHIo 44646
4,819 Posts
Joined Sep 2003
Can't do afts, especially with megga sea days, I suffer from motion sickness, so midship is best. We were on the hump on 8 and that was ok. Balcony was really big, although it didn't dawn on them to give us a lounger which would have been great. We did have 2 chairs and an actual big table, so that was nice. Great balcony, we so looked forward to it again for Hawaii, but alas it is not to be

This bug seems to have hit everyone in our group and then some. The cruise before they had a NORO outbreak, that would have been worse I think, but this bug really sucks! I haven't needed an inhaler in over 10 years!
Dee

My wife gets motion sick very easy, but never had a problem in an AFT cabin, on our up coming cruise that we booked 13 months ago we are in an inside forward and deck 10 ,it will be interesting to she how she does with that. In fact we are so far forward our door is next to the door for the bridge.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Go Tigers !

BC Canada
2,859 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
Hi Angela

We were on our balcony for the first 2 days, so not a problem. You never know crossing the Pacific or the Atlantic what you will get, so we went prepared. Getting sick the last day didn't help, but we still don't like sea days. It was nice playing cards for 2 of them, but that is most likely how we wound up spreading the bug so easily and quickly among all of the NUTS! I will know better than bothering to bring books with me next time, can't read if it is rough, although Dennis can.

We would rather do Radiance, but the itinerary is no where near as good, not sure what happened there, so we will do Rhapsody and suffer through a smaller ship. At least we will be in a JS, so that is a plus. We realized after Radiance that we prefer the ships with the promenades much better.
Dee
We also prefer the larger ships. Every cruise is a good cruise for different reasons but still prefer a larger ship. Every die heart RC cruiser needs to try Allure or Oasis at least once, they are unbelievable ships.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Rose
Carnival Elation 7nt. Mexico NYE 25th Dec./01
Radiance 7nt. Alaska Aug./03
Mariner 7nt. W. Caribbean May/05
Navigator 7nt. E. Caribbean Nov./06
Monarch 4nt. Baja Mar./07
Serenade 7nt. Alaska Sept./07
Celebrity Millennium 3nt. Coastal Sept./08
Liberty 7nt. E. Caribbean Nov./08
Mariner 7nt. Pacific Coastal May/09
Serenade 15nt. Panama Canal Oct./09
Mariner 7nt. Mexico Apr./10
Rhapsody 7nt. Alaska Sept./10
Radiance 5nt. Pacific Coastal May/11
Allure 7nt. E. Caribbean Nov./11
Radiance 12nt. Hawaii Apr./12
Navigator 7nt. W. Caribbean Jan./13
Radiance 7nt. Alaska Sept./13
Navigator 7nt. W. Caribbean Dec./13
Rhapsody 13nt. Hawaii May/14
Rhapsody 7nt. Alaska Aug./14
Liberty 5nt. W. Caribbean Dec.1 & 6/14 B2B
Jewel 6nt. Pacific Coastal May/15
Serenade 14nt. Snowbird Migration Oct./15
Explorer 4nt. Best of B.C. May/16
Radiance 11nt. Hawaii Sept./16
Enchantment 3nt. NYE Bahamas 40th Dec./16
Serenade 11nt. S. Caribbean Jan./17
Explorer 4nt. Best of B.C. May/17
Vision 16nt. Denmark, Norway, & Iceland Aug./17

Northern California
3,120 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Originally posted by sunset seekers
Hi Norma;

Have you had a busy week of work? Larry is feeling better, I am feeling a bit better today but still no energy. Our large suitcases still sit in our bedroom unopened. I'm sure our neighbours are wondering when we will cut the grass that has now gone to seed. Lots to do on the weekend.

I sent you a email I was wondering if you received it.
Hi Rose - you have mail.

Mike did the grass on Sunday - our 85 year old neighbor came over and said he was just about to do it as he didn't know when we'd be back We are lucky to have wonderful neighbors. Suitcases are empty just not put away yet. The Macadamia Nut Bug has definitely thrown everyone's week off.

Hope you and Larry are feeling much much better!

Norma
Northern California
3,120 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Originally posted by waf125
Hi Norma!

It was so very special meeting you and Mike and meeting in paradise makes it even more special!

Glad to hear you are both in recovery mode, but sorry the cough is lingering so long.

I'm sure work is wondering why you are so quiet now since the thread has slowed down...
It was wonderful to meet you and Lee and your terrific friends!!! Plus sharing that momenteous bus ride too - a plus

Thanks for the well wishes - hope Lee is getting better and that you remain unaffected by the Nut Bug! Continuing thoughts for Lee's dad.

They just figure I am still shovelling stuff off my desk Plus when I cough, they walk waaayyyy around my doorway Not altogether a bad thing....

Norma
Northern California
3,120 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Hope my sweet Morma is doing better tonight and not coughing up a lung I will be able to take that one on for you I think that you are right, it was a strain of bubonic plague that we caught and there is no buckleys tough enough to kill it.

I shall now go and prepare a feast for us to eat.....this is code for 2 cans of soup and possibly a hot cross bun. Kinda does not come close to the apps in the DL and then dinner in the dining room or specialty restaurant now does it. Although this means I have been off most of the week, it would have been far more fun to work than do this. I cannot believe how this bug hit all of us. It must have had a special NUT gene or something in it!!!!
Miss you guys all sooooo much We definitely need a reunion!!!
Dee
Hope you & Dennis are getting much better. You know it's bad when you'd rather be at work I also believe it was the card game - we shoulda won alot more money for this

We definitely will need to cruise together again.

The really scary thing is that when I read the posts now, I can hear your voices.......wow.........

Norma
Georgian Bay, Ontario
5,002 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
Originally posted by sunset seekers
We also prefer the larger ships. Every cruise is a good cruise for different reasons but still prefer a larger ship. Every die heart RC cruiser needs to try Allure or Oasis at least once, they are unbelievable ships.
OK Rose, if you say I absolutely must try Allure AND Oasis I must comply I will tell Dennis it is a direct order from you Just seems complicated having to book so much before the cruise and I HATE COMPLICATED I mean lets face it I am complicated enough

How are you guys all feeling??? Better I hope! We are plodding along and I think that the megga drugs are working. We will be having a scheduled nap very shortly!
Miss you guys There is no DL here in this house and no cute little blonde is getting me drinks anymore!!!!!!! I really miss Gilsum!
Dee
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Dee and Dennis
PLUS Eh
Georgian Bay, Ontario
5,002 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
Hope you & Dennis are getting much better. You know it's bad when you'd rather be at work I also believe it was the card game - we shoulda won alot more money for this

We definitely will need to cruise together again.

The really scary thing is that when I read the posts now, I can hear your voices.......wow.........

Norma
OK Norma so you admit to hearing voices....hmmmmm very interesting

YUP we need to figure out a way to cruise again. We need reunion CRUISES there now it had to be said in bold!

Karen and Pete get off the ship today and I believe they head home today as well.

We are staying for 3 days when we dock next year in San Diego. Not sure how close you are to San Diego, but perhaps we could do dinner together. Any thoughts? I'm pretty sure the NUT CRUD will be gone by then

Gotta go make lunch because it appears that no one else will be my slave since we returned home. Remember how nice everyone was making us food, giving us drinks, cleaning up after us aaaaaah the memories

Dee
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Dee and Dennis
PLUS Eh
Ewing, NJ
2,498 Posts
Joined Jun 2011
We would appreciate if you read this post all the way through – thank you in advance!

Many of you know we have been working very hard on fixing the access and performance issues on our message boards. We have determined that very large threads have a huge impact on your ease of access. As this is one of our longest threads, we will be closing this discussion.

You may create a new thread in our Floataway Lounge

Don’t forget to subscribe to the new thread to receive notifications (Click on: Thread Tools > Choose: Subscribe to this Thread.)

We appreciate your patience over these past few weeks while we worked on the forums. Although we know that change can be uncomfortable, the good news is that we hope to provide a leaner, faster forum. And that’s a good thing.

Another option would be to avail yourselves of our offer of an entire forum which would be located in our Friends of Cruise Critic area

There, you would have an entire discussion forum just for you – where you can create as many new threads about any topic -- cruise or non-cruise - as you’d like. An added benefit is that all posts in your new “home” would contribute toward your post count.

If you would like to open a forum in the Friends of Cruise Critic area, please write to [email protected]
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jenn
Senior Community Support
Contact Us

Submit your cruise review with photos for a chance to win Cruise Critic Logo gear. A prize is awarded weekly.
Ewing, NJ
2,498 Posts
Joined Jun 2011
Hi There !!! Please find your way over to your NEW FORUM for your continued posting pleasure:

Macadamia Cruise Nuts
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jenn
Senior Community Support
Contact Us

Submit your cruise review with photos for a chance to win Cruise Critic Logo gear. A prize is awarded weekly.