New and current weight watchers

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Lose Before You Cruise
A place for cruisers to share their stories of how to lose weight before a cruise. Virtual snacks allowed, but only in small quantities.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 05:19 AM.
Wisconsin
181 Posts
Joined Aug 2013
Hi Misty, I am a ww repeater. I just started up again last week (online) and so far I am feeling pretty good. I just tried the big a$$ waffle this morning and loved it. I also made some mojito mousse that someone had posted on connect for a special treat and they were good too. We are cruising in January 2018 for 9 nighter and will be in South Beach for two days prior. I am hoping to loose a good amount before and will be careful while on board. Glad this thread is going.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

San Francisco Bay Area
602 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
Hey, just checking in between weigh days. We are having a most uncharecteristic heat wave here and most folks don't have a/c. It's going to get worse as the week goes on. Regular meal planning has gone out the window as I refuse to put the stove/oven on. Keeping points in control.....but different things, Unfortuntely, this heat causes water "retention"! We will see what happens on Thursday!
859 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
I decided last night that I want to look into WW, plan on talking to my husband about it tonight. We both could probably stand to lose close to 100 pounds. Since we have a cruise in January I thought I'd check this board to see if others are using WW. My biggest concern at the moment is what if I lose weight and have no warm weather clothes come January ��

My other worry is that I've been stuck at this number for years. Even halving a baby, I went into labor weighing exactly what I did when I conceived. He was almost 10 lbs so I was down a good 20+ lbs following childbirth but even with breastfeeding I was back to my number within a few weeks. My doctors (one is functional medicine, the other naturopath) had me follow a paleo plan with restricted net carbs. It was a 3 month program with some losing 50+ lbs. I lost like 5 in the first couple of weeks and then no more which was strange. I followed it perfectly with no cheating. And to make it worse, the energy required to follow the plan took more than I had to give so I actually felt worse! I have psoriatic arthritis, fibromyalgia, plus a whole lot of other issues so my pain is high and energy is way low. Aside from keeping my 4 year old autistic son alive, I spend most of my time laying down. I am too young to feel this way.
New Castle, Delaware
853 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Originally posted by crzycick
I decided last night that I want to look into WW, plan on talking to my husband about it tonight. We both could probably stand to lose close to 100 pounds. Since we have a cruise in January I thought I'd check this board to see if others are using WW. My biggest concern at the moment is what if I lose weight and have no warm weather clothes come January ��

My other worry is that I've been stuck at this number for years. Even halving a baby, I went into labor weighing exactly what I did when I conceived. He was almost 10 lbs so I was down a good 20+ lbs following childbirth but even with breastfeeding I was back to my number within a few weeks. My doctors (one is functional medicine, the other naturopath) had me follow a paleo plan with restricted net carbs. It was a 3 month program with some losing 50+ lbs. I lost like 5 in the first couple of weeks and then no more which was strange. I followed it perfectly with no cheating. And to make it worse, the energy required to follow the plan took more than I had to give so I actually felt worse! I have psoriatic arthritis, fibromyalgia, plus a whole lot of other issues so my pain is high and energy is way low. Aside from keeping my 4 year old autistic son alive, I spend most of my time laying down. I am too young to feel this way.
I'm sorry to hear of your issues. There are quite a few at my meeting who are unable to do much exercise due to medical issues. You'd be surprised what alternatives we have come up with. Exercise is good IF we can do it. But that is not the whole program. They also teach you how to eat healthy. WW also had a cruise in May & they have another one in November that might be interesting to you. That's just another option for you. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Donna

cruised:
Grandeur of the Seas-3/14 Eastern Caribbean
Grandeur of the Seas-10/14 Bahamas
Grandeur of the Seas-5/15 Bermuda
Grandeur of the Seas-11/15 Western Caribbean
Carnival Pride - 03/16 14 day Southern Caribbean
Oasis of the Seas - 09/16 Eastern Caribbean
Oasis of the Seas - 03/17 Western Caribbean
MSC Divina - 05/17 Western Caribbean
Anthem of the Seas - 8/17 NE & Canada
859 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Originally posted by PTAngel
I'm sorry to hear of your issues. There are quite a few at my meeting who are unable to do much exercise due to medical issues. You'd be surprised what alternatives we have come up with. Exercise is good IF we can do it. But that is not the whole program. They also teach you how to eat healthy. WW also had a cruise in May & they have another one in November that might be interesting to you. That's just another option for you. Good luck with whatever you choose.
It's good that exercise isn't vital to the plan. I would love to get to the point that it was possible but with the arthritis, fibro, uncontrollable exercise induced asthma, and my heart condition, I will never be able to do too much. I've had these and so many other issues since I was a young child. I'm only 31 now and my 68 year old mother who just went through chemo is more active than me!

Anyone here have success with WW and PCOS? I wonder if that's part of the reason my body holds on to weight.
Illinois
1,549 Posts
Joined Aug 2006
Hi crzycick!
My DH has a lot of joint issues and has had success with Nutisystem. That however was so expensive and took most of our grocery budget per month! He then tried keeping track of his calories with Spark people. He did ok but didn't lose anything. I started back on WW because I just don't seem to be able to do it by myself. DH lost a lot on WW about 10 years ago, so,when he saw me scanning food with my head in the fridge he knew I had joined again and he joined again as well. He does no workouts, just his daily activity. He's on lots of medication so,Imthing that saps his strength some. Anyway, he has started losing again! It's not a fast loss, but healthy. I think it is worth a try if you're able to. There is a great support social site with the program and you can do meetings and or online only. We do online only but I have thought about trying meetings at some point for added help with recipes and such. It kind of becomes like a game with DH and I with " how many points do you have left today?" We like finding that some of our favorite recipes are able to be incorporated as is or with some minor substitutions. As far as clothing sizes, I find stuff on my closet that I haven't been able to wear for a while and " shop" my own closet! I also keep watch on clearance racks . I like to buy at the end of the season. That's what I plan to do for our trip in Februrary. July and August will find me scanning for clearances!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Allure of the Seas 2/25/2018 Western Caribbean
Harmony of the Seas 2/4/2017 Eastern Caribbean
Anthem 9/2016 Canada/New England (35 yr)
Equinox 2/2016 Ultimate Carribean
Independence of the Seas 2/28/2015
Rhapsody of the Seas 8/22/2014 Alaska
Navigator of the Seas 2/23/2014 Western Carribean
Oasis of the Seas 8/31/13 Western Carribean
Oasis of the Seas 2/23/13 Eastern Carribean
Jewel of the Seas 10/21/12 New England/Canada
Allure of the Seas 2/26/2012 Western Carribean
Explorer of the Seas 9/10/2011 Bermuda (30 yr)
Freedom of the Seas 2/27/2011 Eastern Carribean
Majesty of the Seas 10/2010 Bahamas
Adventure of the Seas 2/2010 Southern Carribean
Liberty of the Seas 1/3/09 Eastern Carribean
Voyager of the Seas 2/24/08 Western Carribean
Freedom of the Seas 3/07 Western Carribean
Vision of the Seas 3/05 Mexican Riviera
Adventure of the Seas 8/04 Southern Carribean
Imagination 8/01 Western Carribean
Sovereign of the Seas 8/1994 Eastern Carribean
Fantasy 9/1991 Bahamas (10 yr)
San Francisco Bay Area
602 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
Hi and welcome! You would be surprised how many people can't do a lot of exercise. But some find that is the weight comes off you can do more, move more.
For now, concentrate on the food and "Beyond the Scale". Basically, WHY we overeat and how to make better choices. You will lose slowly but consistently and eat anything you want, just count the Points. It is a great program.
San Francisco Bay Area
602 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
Also, about the Summer clothes in the Winter. Catalog shop, Roamans is GREAT, or Women Within. Also thrift stores will always have all kinds of clothes at any time and for dirt cheap, and cute stuff too!
859 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
I've been this weight for probably close to 10 years so I finally got rid of my smaller clothes a few moves back.

I haven't heard of Roamans or Women Within so I'll try to keep that in mind. Our thrift stores here are awful. Absolutely no organization. Not by size or even by type of item and most things look older than me (31.) It would take hours to hunt through and I have a very inpatient autistic 4 year old. I've never looked at say Kohls online in the winter for summer clothes but surely they keep some stuff for warmer climates I hope?

I know my biggest hurdle is with all of my pain and fatigue that we eat too much convenience food. Frozen meals, out to eat, etc. my husband is going to take of school the next 8 week semester to help me in the kitchen. I want to keep focused on getting healthy because the weight might not come off but at least I'll be fueling my body better. I want to see if they'll keep my weight from me or only once a month. I get too obsessive otherwise.
40 Posts
Joined Mar 2017
I've been this weight for probably close to 10 years so I finally got rid of my smaller clothes a few moves back.

I haven't heard of Roamans or Women Within so I'll try to keep that in mind. Our thrift stores here are awful. Absolutely no organization. Not by size or even by type of item and most things look older than me (31.) It would take hours to hunt through and I have a very inpatient autistic 4 year old. I've never looked at say Kohls online in the winter for summer clothes but surely they keep some stuff for warmer climates I hope?

I know my biggest hurdle is with all of my pain and fatigue that we eat too much convenience food. Frozen meals, out to eat, etc. my husband is going to take of school the next 8 week semester to help me in the kitchen. I want to keep focused on getting healthy because the weight might not come off but at least I'll be fueling my body better. I want to see if they'll keep my weight from me or only once a month. I get too obsessive otherwise.

Getting healthy can be such a daunting task! I had been on WW but just could not get in a continual groove. Then I started working with a Health Coach and I've lost 25 lbs since May 1! I have since become a Health Coach as well and if you would be interested in a program that teaches Optimal Health rather than just weight loss, let me know!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Illinois
1,549 Posts
Joined Aug 2006
Weight Watchers changes their plan periodically, and now the focus is "beyond the scale". There is so much emphasis on the weight component which is an important piece, but physical activity within your abilities and emotional health are important too. I know I have to be in a certain frame of mind to want to stick to the program. I used to read the success stories all the time, and loved the magazine. Now the connect section on the app serves that purpose for support and inspiration. People post NSV ( non scale victories) all the time which helps me realize that even just tracking a high point food is a NSV, because I'm being mindful and intentional with my eating.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Illinois
1,549 Posts
Joined Aug 2006
Giving it a try to keep this thread going. This week I went to Olive Garden with my daughter and granddaughters. Most of the entrees are high in points. I ordered the shrimp scampi and ate 1/3 of it and boxed up the rest. With a breadstick and small amount of salad it added up to 11sp. Not too bad for lunch. I think I will try this on our next cruise. Choose something and take only about 1/3 of what I would normally eat.
Lots of vegetable and fruit. I think it might be weird to take my measuring spoons and cups .
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
859 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Well things didn't go as planned. I did sign up and then the next day I casually saw a house (new build) that we fell in love with. We weren't even considering moving. The next 2 weeks we searched for a lot we loved in the best school district for our son's autism and frantically tried to get our messy and cluttered house ready to show.

2 weeks in, we put our offer in on the lot on Tuesday night, it was accepted Wednesday morning and our house went on the market that morning. Within minutes we had a showing scheduled for lunch. He immediately put an offer in and we accepted that evening. Everything moved so fast! Now we have to move in with my inlaws for 6+ months and we're packing up what goes where.

Needless to say, I haven't even had a chance to look at the WW materials. The great thing is that I had talked my mother in law into joining so we can help each other while we live with them. And I have made attending meetings a priority. And I've lost 4 lbs the last few weeks from the stress of moving 😂
Illinois
1,549 Posts
Joined Aug 2006
Well things didn't go as planned. I did sign up and then the next day I casually saw a house (new build) that we fell in love with. We weren't even considering moving. The next 2 weeks we searched for a lot we loved in the best school district for our son's autism and frantically tried to get our messy and cluttered house ready to show.

2 weeks in, we put our offer in on the lot on Tuesday night, it was accepted Wednesday morning and our house went on the market that morning. Within minutes we had a showing scheduled for lunch. He immediately put an offer in and we accepted that evening. Everything moved so fast! Now we have to move in with my inlaws for 6+ months and we're packing up what goes where.

Needless to say, I haven't even had a chance to look at the WW materials. The great thing is that I had talked my mother in law into joining so we can help each other while we live with them. And I have made attending meetings a priority. And I've lost 4 lbs the last few weeks from the stress of moving 😂
Wow! Good for you! It's nice to have a buddy to join with, especially since you're going to be living with them. it will make it easier food wise.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Illinois
1,549 Posts
Joined Aug 2006
Down 20.5 lbs since May. Slow loss but steady. I was able to fit into some smaller tops and pants!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature