Birding in the Caribbean

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:44 AM.
Ontario - Canada
1,430 Posts
Joined Dec 2004
Originally posted by hvbaskey
Connie, did you reach a guide for St. Maarten?
Forgot to mention, there were quite a few guides mentioned for St. Maarten on birding pal. One of them looks promising, "Sea Grape Tours" will cater to cruise ship passengers, so have sent them an email for our Southern Caribbean Holiday Cruises in December. Will keep everyone posted!

Heather
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Heather & Anthony - We cruise and we bird
7 Cruises; 38 Ports; 71 Nights at Sea
Next Up: South America (=X= Infinity Dec 2017) Roll Call Chart
__________________________________________________ ____________________
Personal Travelogues (click individual links, below):
Texas
271 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
Heather,
i'm anxious to hear about your Tuscan birding!!

If you do the Caribbean, let me know if you need help with some of the ports.
Cinda
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Independence of the Seas The fun continues 01/9/17 NCL Sky Sailing w/friends 01/6/17 Explorer of the Seas TP SEA to SYD 10/6/16Celebrity Millennium Alaska On Our Own 8/7/16Navigator of the Seas EB TA 5/8/16Adventure of the Seas B2B 10/31/15 Celebrity Equinox Ultimate Caribbean/birding 2/23/2015;Celebrity Silhouette Rome TA 11/1/2014;Pride of America Hawaii 6/21/2014 Independence of the Seas Caribbean 2/9/2014;Celebrity Summit Southern Caribbean 10/26/2013; Allure of the Seas E. Caribbean May 5,2013; Adventure of the Seas Southern Caribbean 4/7/2013;Liberty of the Seas Barcelona TA 10/27/12; Rhapsody of the Seas Alaska 7/27/12; Mariner of the Seas W.Carib/40th 3/25/2012; Navigator of the Seas E.Carib/ Dia N Dec. 12/10/11; Liberty of the Seas E. Caribbean 3/5/11; Voyager of the Seas TA 11/7/10; Majesty of the Seas Bahamas 9/3/10; Grandeur of the Seas Cozumel 5/27/10 Serenade of the Seas Panama Canal 11/1/09 Majesty of the Seas Bahamas 2/23/09 Splendour of the Seas TA 4/23/07 Grandeur of the Seas W.Caribbean 12/4/04 Grandeur of the Docks MardiGras/Gulf 2/21/04
Seeing the world one cruise at a time!
New England, USA
2 Posts
Joined Sep 2013
Hi Folks,
I realize this is an old thread but there's a lot of great info in here.
Thanks!
I'm going to Cozumel and Roatan in Feb! Hope to see some lifers
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Norwegian Pearl, 2014- Mountain Song at Sea- Miami-Cozumel- Key West
Norwegian Pearl, 2015- Cayamo- Miami- St. Barts- St. Croix
Norwegian Pearl, 2016- Cayamo- Miami- St. Maarten- Tortola
Norwegian Jade, 2017- Cayamo- Tampa- Cozumel- Roatan
***Booked*** Norwegian Pearl, 2018- Cayamo- New Orleans- Cozumel- Harvest Caye
beautiful Jersey Shore
926 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
It would be really great if some of the people who posted RFIs here pre-cruise would post a little birding trip report for those of us still watching this thread.

Happy holidays,
Dena
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Manassas VA
14 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
Did a quick Bahama cruise in October on Majesty of the Seas out of Port Canaveral. Did a half-day birding tour at Nassau with Carolyn Wardle (Google her). She's a Brit who has been on the island for 50 years.

We drove around in neighborhoods, a wildlife reserve, seashore, and even sat outdoors in a person's back yard (Carolyn pretty much knows everybody on the island, it appears).

Lifers:

Smooth-Billed Ani
Red-Legged Thrush
Cuban Grassquit
Ovenbird
Cape May Warbler
La Sagra's Flycatcher
Least Grebe
White-Cheeked Pintail

Other good ones I already had:

White-Crowned Pigeon
Bahama Woodstar
Various Plovers, Gulls, etc.

Overall a very good day, highly recommended.

Jerry
Manassas VA USA
beautiful Jersey Shore
926 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
Originally posted by gidewey52
Did a quick Bahama cruise in October on Majesty of the Seas out of Port Canaveral. Did a half-day birding tour at Nassau with Carolyn Wardle (Google her). She's a Brit who has been on the island for 50 years.

We drove around in neighborhoods, a wildlife reserve, seashore, and even sat outdoors in a person's back yard (Carolyn pretty much knows everybody on the island, it appears).
(snip)

Overall a very good day, highly recommended.

Jerry
Manassas VA USA
Thanks for a great report, Jerry. I wish there were resources like this on every Caribbean island!

Best regards,
Dena (smooth_sailin)
NJ
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Ontario - Canada
1,430 Posts
Joined Dec 2004
Just came home from a Caribbean & Bermuda Cruise (via the Celebrity Summit)

Here are our sightings from Sint Maarten (Dutch & French side); we hired Ilja of Seagrape Tours and she was wonderful!

Saint Martin (French side)

White-cheeked Pintail - Anas bahamensis
Magnificent Frigatebird - Fregata magnificens
Great Egret - Ardea alba
Snowy Egret - Egretta thula
Common Gallinule - Gallinula galeata
American Coot - Fulica americana
Black-necked Stilt - Himantopus mexicanus
Black-bellied Plover - Pluvialis squatarola
Semipalmated Plover - Charadrius semipalmatus
Killdeer - Charadrius vociferus
Whimbrel - Numenius phaeopus
Ruddy Turnstone - Arenaria interpres
Least Sandpiper - Calidris minutilla
Semipalmated Sandpiper - Calidris pusilla
Short-billed Dowitcher - Limnodromus griseus
Willet - Tringa semipalmata
Lesser Yellowlegs - Tringa flavipes
Laughing Gull - Leucophaeus atricilla
Royal Tern - Thalasseus maximus
Eurasian Collared-Dove - Streptopelia decaocto
Common Ground-Dove - Columbina passerina
White-winged Dove - Zenaida asiatica
Zenaida Dove - Zenaida aurita
Green-throated Carib - Eulampis holosericeus
Antillean Crested Hummingbird - Orthorhyncus cristatus
American Kestrel - Falco sparverius
Bananaquit - Coereba flaveola
Black-faced Grassquit - Tiaris bicolor
Lesser Antillean Bullfinch - Loxigilla noctis

Sint Maarten (Dutch Side)

White-cheeked Pintail - Anas bahamensis
Pied-billed Grebe - Podilymbus podiceps
Magnificent Frigatebird - Fregata magnificens
Brown Pelican - Pelecanus occidentalis
Great Egret - Ardea alba
Green Heron - Butorides virescens
Black-crowned Night-Heron - Nycticorax nycticorax
Common Gallinule - Gallinula galeata
Spotted Sandpiper - Actitis macularius
Laughing Gull - Leucophaeus atricilla
Royal Tern - Thalasseus maximus
Common Ground-Dove - Columbina passerina
Zenaida Dove - Zenaida aurita
Antillean Crested Hummingbird - Orthorhyncus cristatus
Gray Kingbird - Tyrannus dominicensis
Yellow Warbler - Setophaga petechia
Bananaquit - Coereba flaveola
Lesser Antillean Bullfinch - Loxigilla noctis
Carib Grackle - Quiscalus lugubris
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

beautiful Jersey Shore
926 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
Just came home from a Caribbean & Bermuda Cruise (via the Celebrity Summit)

Here are our sightings from Sint Maarten (Dutch & French side); we hired Ilja of Seagrape Tours and she was wonderful!
Wonderful list! We are visiting St. Maarten in October and tried to book Seagrape, but they were booked. they recommended another local birder to us, Binkie van es, for a private birding tour. He is a well known photographer, and we actually have mutual birding friends! Small world. Needless to say, we are really looking forward to our visit to St. Maarten!

Dena Temple
Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Ontario Canada + Florida snowbirds
183 Posts
Joined Nov 2011
We have just booked birding tour with Carefree Birding tours for Jan 29 2018 on Celebrity Reflection. My original plan was 7 day cruise with few shore birdings with local guides but it soon became an 11 day cruise with Carefree, Kevin Karlson will be a guide. Will visit Grand Cayman, Costa Rica, Colombia, Cozumel and Panama. This is our first trip south of Florida so we are sure to get lots of life birds.
Texas
271 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
Originally posted by noah53
We have just booked birding tour with Carefree Birding tours for Jan 29 2018 on Celebrity Reflection. Kevin Karlson will be a guide. Will visit Grand Cayman, Costa Rica, Colombia, Cozumel and Panama. This is our first trip south of Florida so we are sure to get lots of life birds.
You Made a Great Choice!
I sailed with Carefree Birding in 2015 and pretty much the same itinerary. I loved it and saw over 150 life species. We were accompanied by James Currie of the "Nikkon Birding Adventure" show. I can't express how great it was to see so many birds in that period of time & so easy. I usually hire my own guides when I travel, but this was awesome. In Panama, there were so many birds that it was hard to see them all. The local guides were very knowledgeable (ears/eyes) Here is a total of species seen @ each port.
Grand Cayman -- 36 species
Colombia -- 91 species/7hrs
Panama -- 89 species/6hrs
Costa Rica -- 60 species/6hrs (even though it was a wet day!)
Belize -- 77 species/6hrs
Cozumel -- 70 species/ 5 hrs.
Ken & Linda of Carefree Birding are so much fun and really take care of everyone. They balance each other well. Ken wore his signature pink Crocs most times! James Currie was one of the presenters for the Celebrity cruise. He's a very interesting guy from South Africa with lots of stories.

If you want specifics, feel free to email me: jackcin at juno dot com

Say hi to Ken & Linda for me!
Cinda Crosley
near Austin, TX
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Independence of the Seas The fun continues 01/9/17 NCL Sky Sailing w/friends 01/6/17 Explorer of the Seas TP SEA to SYD 10/6/16Celebrity Millennium Alaska On Our Own 8/7/16Navigator of the Seas EB TA 5/8/16Adventure of the Seas B2B 10/31/15 Celebrity Equinox Ultimate Caribbean/birding 2/23/2015;Celebrity Silhouette Rome TA 11/1/2014;Pride of America Hawaii 6/21/2014 Independence of the Seas Caribbean 2/9/2014;Celebrity Summit Southern Caribbean 10/26/2013; Allure of the Seas E. Caribbean May 5,2013; Adventure of the Seas Southern Caribbean 4/7/2013;Liberty of the Seas Barcelona TA 10/27/12; Rhapsody of the Seas Alaska 7/27/12; Mariner of the Seas W.Carib/40th 3/25/2012; Navigator of the Seas E.Carib/ Dia N Dec. 12/10/11; Liberty of the Seas E. Caribbean 3/5/11; Voyager of the Seas TA 11/7/10; Majesty of the Seas Bahamas 9/3/10; Grandeur of the Seas Cozumel 5/27/10 Serenade of the Seas Panama Canal 11/1/09 Majesty of the Seas Bahamas 2/23/09 Splendour of the Seas TA 4/23/07 Grandeur of the Seas W.Caribbean 12/4/04 Grandeur of the Docks MardiGras/Gulf 2/21/04
Ontario - Canada
1,430 Posts
Joined Dec 2004
Not sure if anyone here knows about this thread, but I started a new one for Birding & Cruising (not specific to the Caribbean):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2527845

Hoping all birders who cruise unite and share their global stories! our next cruise is South America and cannot wait to report back with Southern Hemisphere specialities

Heather
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Texas
271 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
Not sure if anyone here knows about this thread, but I started a new one for Birding & Cruising (not specific to the Caribbean):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2527845

Hoping all birders who cruise unite and share their global stories! our next cruise is South America and cannot wait to report back with Southern Hemisphere specialities

Heather
Hi Heather! I'll check that board. Amazing, we are also doing a SA cruise. When is yours? Ours is 3 December 2017 on the Emerald Princess. I've scheduled with some private guides, and reached out on CC looking for birders, but no luck
Cinda
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

183 Posts
Joined Nov 2011
Originally posted by texcin
You Made a Great Choice!
I sailed with Carefree Birding in 2015 and pretty much the same itinerary. I loved it and saw over 150 life species. We were accompanied by James Currie of the "Nikkon Birding Adventure" show. I can't express how great it was to see so many birds in that period of time & so easy. I usually hire my own guides when I travel, but this was awesome. In Panama, there were so many birds that it was hard to see them all. The local guides were very knowledgeable (ears/eyes) Here is a total of species seen @ each port.
Grand Cayman -- 36 species
Colombia -- 91 species/7hrs
Panama -- 89 species/6hrs
Costa Rica -- 60 species/6hrs (even though it was a wet day!)
Belize -- 77 species/6hrs
Cozumel -- 70 species/ 5 hrs.
Ken & Linda of Carefree Birding are so much fun and really take care of everyone. They balance each other well. Ken wore his signature pink Crocs most times! James Currie was one of the presenters for the Celebrity cruise. He's a very interesting guy from South Africa with lots of stories.

If you want specifics, feel free to email me: jackcin at juno dot com

Say hi to Ken & Linda for me!
Cinda Crosley
near Austin, TX
Thanks for the species #s, they are impressive and will be mostly lifers for us. Did you enter them on ebird?
Funny, I have many crocs too, pink is definitely one of them. Will have questions for you when I have some free time, thanks.
Ontario - Canada
1,430 Posts
Joined Dec 2004
Originally posted by texcin
Hi Heather! I'll check that board. Amazing, we are also doing a SA cruise. When is yours? Ours is 3 December 2017 on the Emerald Princess. I've scheduled with some private guides, and reached out on CC looking for birders, but no luck
Cinda
Hi Cinda - we arrive in Buenos Aires on Dec 21st and will sail via the Celebrity Infinity to Santiago.

Like you, no one interested in birding adventures on our roll call - so right now, all private tours!

How long is your cruise? we are sailing Dec 23 - January 7. Birding in BA prior and in Santiago after and then birding in between

Heather
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Texas
271 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
Originally posted by noah53
Thanks for the species #s, they are impressive and will be mostly lifers for us. Did you enter them on ebird?.
Yes I use ebird. Here are my checklists:

Grand Cayman -- 41 species: https://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S22264007 ; https://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S22243800 ; https://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S22244121
https://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S22244068

Colombia -- 93 species/7hrs: https://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S22244175

Panama -- 93 species/6hrs; https://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S22263050

Costa Rica -- 60 species/6hrs (even though it was a wet day!) https://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S22263523

Belize -- 77 species/6hrs https://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S22263692 https://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S22263017

Cozumel -- 70 species/ 5 hrs. https://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S22263352
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

183 Posts
Joined Nov 2011
Thanks Cinda for ebird reports, I am so impressed with them, so many birds that I now need to research to have some idea of what they look like. Any day with over 50 birds is a great birding day and these lists are fantastic. Also watched some of Ken's videos and they are great. This cruise and birding will be wonderful for us. Thanks alot.