Spencer ambrose beach break or land and sea and beach break?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 04:25 AM.
27 Posts
Joined Jul 2011
Originally posted by pghsteelerfan
I'm prone to motion sickness and will even feel the effects on a ship on smooth seas when you really can't even feel any motion but I've never gotten sea sick on a speedboat. But that can vary for everyone, some can feel it on a speedboat and be fine on a ship. Both times we've been to St. Lucia and been in Spencer's speedboat, the water was on the calmer side. The water wasn't "flat calm", but far from being rough. But it is really hard to know from day to day what the water will be like because the seas can change from day to day and for many reasons. Some of the smoothest seas we've seen was our cruise were two years ago, during the middle of September (at the peak hurricane season). Some of the choppiest seas (and I sure felt it on the ship) were a cruise we did in April. When in St. Lucia on Spencer's tours, you will be on St. Lucia's Caribbean (calmer) side. But that would be a tough call.

Do you get motion sickness or were you just asking if it's possible on a speedboat? The two times we've been on the speedboat on Spencer's tours, we have not seen anyone get motion sickness. As I said, I'm prone to it, but for some reason speedboats don't bother me so I've never felt it myself. I do take Dramamine, non-drowsy (over the counter), for cruise ships' motion but haven't needed it for a speedboat. Are you just asking in general or do you get motion sickness? If so, is it bad? Do motion sickness meds or patches help?

I usually take Bonine for the cruise ship and have never gotten sick. We have done sailboats, also with the bonine, and never got sick. I've been on a fishing charter boat in lake Michigan, and the waters were rough, and I was a little green...even with the bonine. So, I guess I was just looking for opinions on the speedboat. My husband seems to think that the motion would be less on a speedboat, since you go fast enough to go "over" the waves, so I guess that's what we will hope for! I think his tour sounds fabulous, so I really want to do it!
1,592 Posts
Joined Jun 2013
I take Bonine as well, and am more concerned with the windy roads in a van than I am with a speedboat from a motion sickness standpoint. So I will take the Bonine and cover both basis!! Also take some ginger - it's a great back up m
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Grand Princess - SFO RT to Vancouver BC, Sept 2018
VikingSea - San Juan-Amazon-San Juan Dec 2017
Viking Star - Bergen- Stockholm 2015
Viking Star - Barcelona-Bergen 2015
HAL Ryndam - Istanbul- Barcelona 2014
HAL Ryndam - Athens -Istanbul 2014
Viking Skadi - Amsterdam- Budapest 2013
Princess - Western Mediterranean - 2010
Princess Golden - Alaska - 2010
Virginia
3,920 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
Originally posted by jas0202
I usually take Bonine for the cruise ship and have never gotten sick. We have done sailboats, also with the bonine, and never got sick. I've been on a fishing charter boat in lake Michigan, and the waters were rough, and I was a little green...even with the bonine. So, I guess I was just looking for opinions on the speedboat. My husband seems to think that the motion would be less on a speedboat, since you go fast enough to go "over" the waves, so I guess that's what we will hope for! I think his tour sounds fabulous, so I really want to do it!
I have to laugh when you mentioned the charter boat in lake Michigan. It's been close to 20 years ago now, but a group of friends went in on a fishing charter on the Chesapeake Bay. The water was choppy but not what I'd call rough. I took Dramamine about an hour before we went out, just in case. They took us out to a spot a few miles out where we were "bottom fishing", so the boat was just out there rocking while we were fishing. After a couple of hours I was more than a little green...and so were a good quarter of our group. We were so happy when it was time to go back that day. The only other times I've "felt green" have been on cruise ships, but it's when I've forgotten to take the Dramamine. I know that feeling and it hits kind of suddenly, so I'll take the Dramamine ASAP and in a half hour, good to go. I've been on speedboats many times, have never taken any Dramamine/other motion sickness med and have never had an issue. I think your husband nailed it with his explanation. But I really enjoyed Spencer's tour and next time we get back there (already twisting DH's arm to to another cruise out of San Juan...2018???), we're doing the beach break again.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

CARNIVAL LIBERTY - September 20 - 27, 2015 (Southern Caribbean: San Juan, St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, St. Maarten, San Juan); LIBERTY 2015 REVIEW: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2275573
CARNIVAL LIBERTY - April 5 - 12, 2014 (Western Caribbean: Miami, Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, Grand Cayman...missed port, Miami); LIBERTY 2014 REVIEW: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2039919
CARNIVAL VALOR - May 5 - 12, 2013 (Southern Caribbean: San Juan, St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, St. Maarten, San Juan); VALOR 2013 REVIEW: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1917645
CARNIVAL GLORY - May 9 - 16, 2010 (Eastern Caribbean: Miami, HMC Bahamas, St. Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk, Miami)
CARNIVAL MIRACLE - March 12 - 19, 2006 (Western Caribbean: Tampa, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize, Costa Maya, Tampa)
Royal Caribbean Rhapsody of the Seas - January 16 - 23, 2000 (Mexican Riviera: Los Angeles, Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, Los Angeles)
CARNIVAL FESTIVALE - June 14 - 21, 1992 (Southern Caribbean: San Juan, St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Dominica, Barbados, Martinique, San Juan)

Virginia
3,920 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
Originally posted by Vineyard View
I take Bonine as well, and am more concerned with the windy roads in a van than I am with a speedboat from a motion sickness standpoint. So I will take the Bonine and cover both basis!! Also take some ginger - it's a great back up m
You're doing the land, sea, and beach adventure, right? I never had a problem in the vans. Since there were several stops, and they were all fairly close, we weren't really spending a lot of time in the vans. But I don't want to tell you not to take anything, just in case.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

CARNIVAL LIBERTY - September 20 - 27, 2015 (Southern Caribbean: San Juan, St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, St. Maarten, San Juan); LIBERTY 2015 REVIEW: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2275573
CARNIVAL LIBERTY - April 5 - 12, 2014 (Western Caribbean: Miami, Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, Grand Cayman...missed port, Miami); LIBERTY 2014 REVIEW: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2039919
CARNIVAL VALOR - May 5 - 12, 2013 (Southern Caribbean: San Juan, St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, St. Maarten, San Juan); VALOR 2013 REVIEW: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1917645
CARNIVAL GLORY - May 9 - 16, 2010 (Eastern Caribbean: Miami, HMC Bahamas, St. Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk, Miami)
CARNIVAL MIRACLE - March 12 - 19, 2006 (Western Caribbean: Tampa, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize, Costa Maya, Tampa)
Royal Caribbean Rhapsody of the Seas - January 16 - 23, 2000 (Mexican Riviera: Los Angeles, Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, Los Angeles)
CARNIVAL FESTIVALE - June 14 - 21, 1992 (Southern Caribbean: San Juan, St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Dominica, Barbados, Martinique, San Juan)

1,592 Posts
Joined Jun 2013
Pghstellerfan- we are doing that tour and thank you for this information. That is really helpful and I appreciate it.
Very much looking forward to the day with Spencer after all I have read.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Grand Princess - SFO RT to Vancouver BC, Sept 2018
VikingSea - San Juan-Amazon-San Juan Dec 2017
Viking Star - Bergen- Stockholm 2015
Viking Star - Barcelona-Bergen 2015
HAL Ryndam - Istanbul- Barcelona 2014
HAL Ryndam - Athens -Istanbul 2014
Viking Skadi - Amsterdam- Budapest 2013
Princess - Western Mediterranean - 2010
Princess Golden - Alaska - 2010
29 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
With the Spencer Ambrose beach break, are there any umbrellas or the opportunity to rent some? If not, any available shade to lounge in? Love the beach but my pale complexion doesn't allow me in the sun long!
OH
24,070 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Originally posted by danstr1
With the Spencer Ambrose beach break, are there any umbrellas or the opportunity to rent some? If not, any available shade to lounge in? Love the beach but my pale complexion doesn't allow me in the sun long!
Almost all of the beach area at Jolousie is in the shade over by the free side they take you to. The chairs are under the trees and they also have palapa's in that area as well. No worries. There are a few out in the sunny area, but most are covered.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL:
EPIC studio SPIRIT PEARL STAR JEWEL GETAWAY SUN SKY DAWN BREAKAWAY JADE EPIC
CARNIVAL:
Dream Pride Breeze Fascination
BAHAMAS: Great Stirrup Cay Blue Lagoon Melia Junkanoo Freeport: Paradise Cove
BARBADOS: Boatyard
BELIZE: Cavetubing Cavetubing Bannister Island Shark Ray Alley Goffs
BERMUDA: Horseshoe Bay Snorkel Park Tobacco Bay St Catherines Beach Achilles Bay Jet Ski & boat rental Warwick-Horseshoe Long Bay-Clearwater Tobacco Bay Snorkel Park
COSTA MAYA:Almaplena Maya Chan Nohoch Blue Kay
COZUMEL: Chankanaab Dolphin Swim Chankanaab Nachi Playa Mia Sanchos Passion IslandPalancar
GRAND CAYMAN: Stingray Sandbar Stingrays, Rum Point
GRAND TURK: BOHIO Governors
HALF MOON CAY
JAMAICA: Sunset Hilton Rose
ROATAN: Little French Key LFK Maya Key West Bay ZiplineLFK
SAN JUAN:Pamelas
ST KITTS: Reggae Carambola
ST LUCIA: Jalousie
ST MAARTEN: Orient & Maho Mullet Maho Divi Pinel
ST THOMAS: Saphhire Coki Linquist Coki
TORTOLA: Baths
Allentown, Pa.
1,445 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Hope you don't catch Spencer on a bad day, he has a short temper. Most people enjoy his tours. Our group did not

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
upstate NY
999 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
Originally posted by rjrpar
Hope you don't catch Spencer on a bad day, he has a short temper. Most people enjoy his tours. Our group did not

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Can you elaborate about what happened?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Christine
nevada
27 Posts
Joined Sep 2011
Originally posted by Harrylinden
Which one is better? Just going to the beach or doing the entire package? Is there enough time for all? I,m a little nervous in doing the entire package.Don,t want to miss the ship!
The service was at 5-star rating. The guide was really trying to provide a great service. The only reason we gave it a 4-star rating is because the whole experience was aggravated by not having a shelter during the boat ride part of the tour. We understand we were on a tropical island where rain is expected anytime. However, being on a speed boat during a heavy rain, no canopy, no shelter - we were miserable, fully wet, face hurting from the rain drops hitting the skin on a high speed of the moving speed boat, our belonings wet: backpacks and contents (including electronics) and towels, and a guide talking, feeding us with "interesting facts", which was the last thing we needed at that specific moment. Spencer Ambrose Tours should think of some rain cover on the boat. We picked this tour operator over Cosol Tour, which offers similar itinerary, only with bus ride instead of a speed boat ride to Soufriere. We did not want the longer bus ride, instead choosing a more expensive tour, but with a faster boat ride. However, truly, when we were on a boat during that rain, we wished we were on the bus at that moment.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Liberty - Eastern Caribbean - 08/22/2014
Carnival Fascination - Bahamas- 08/16/2014
Carnival Miracle - Hawaii - 10/19/2013
Carnival Inspiration - Catalina & Ensenada - 04/29/2013
Carnival Splendor - Mexican Riviera - 09/30/2012
Carnival Spirit - Mexican Riviera - 03/30/2012
Carnival Spirit - Mexican Riviera - 10/07/2011
Carnival Splendor - Mexican Riviera - 08/29/2010
Carnival Paradise - Catalina & Ensenada - 07/13/2009
nevada
27 Posts
Joined Sep 2011
The service was at 5-star rating. The guide was really trying to provide a great service. The only reason we gave it a 4-star rating is because the whole experience was aggravated by not having a shelter during the boat ride part of the tour. We understand we were on a tropical island where rain is expected anytime. However, being on a speed boat during a heavy rain, no canopy, no shelter - we were miserable, fully wet, face hurting from the rain drops hitting the skin on a high speed of the moving speed boat, our belonings wet: backpacks and contents (including electronics) and towels, and a guide talking, feeding us with "interesting facts", which was the last thing we needed at that specific moment. Spencer Ambrose Tours should think of some rain cover on the boat. We picked this tour operator over Cosol Tour, which offers similar itinerary, only with bus ride instead of a speed boat ride to Soufriere. We did not want the longer bus ride, instead choosing a more expensive tour, but with a faster boat ride. However, truly, when we were on a boat during that rain, we wished we were on the bus at that moment.