Tips for New Viking Ocean Cruisers

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Viking Ocean
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:53 PM.
Jersey City, NJ
11 Posts
Joined Dec 2015
Speaking of documents and files from Viking, I've received a package containing luggage tag and a booklet. Are we expected to get another mailing approximately three weeks before the sailing as stated on myVikingjourney.com?


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Northern Virginia
625 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
Originally posted by sleepybobo
Speaking of documents and files from Viking, I've received a package containing luggage tag and a booklet. Are we expected to get another mailing approximately three weeks before the sailing as stated on myVikingjourney.com?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Did you receive a fairly sizable box? The booklet should have been printed expressly for you. And relatively thick. It contains everything about your trip - flight itinerary etc including info on optional pre and/or post extensions (hotels etc).

I find that box is a keeper. Use it, after we get home, to store all the little things accumulated during the cruise. Ticket stubs etc. I maintain and carry with me on the trip a 3 ring binder (1/2" or 1") containing printed copies of all the pdf docs received from Viking (latest invoice, excursion bookings etc) and 3 or 4 plastic pocket dividers to hold all the things accumulated during the cruise inc every Viking Daily, maps, pamphlets, etc. And then transfer all the small stuff to the sturdy silver Viking box after we get home.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Boston MA
5,993 Posts
Joined Dec 2006
Originally posted by sleepybobo
Speaking of documents and files from Viking, I've received a package containing luggage tag and a booklet. Are we expected to get another mailing approximately three weeks before the sailing as stated on myVikingjourney.com?


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Yup, that is the box you have been waiting for. Sometimes they get things out a little early.

The box should contain a pair of red luggage tags, strip luggage tags pre-printed with your name and cabin number (these go on the bag right before you hand your luggage over for transfer to the ship), a red circle sticker if you have Viking transfers (put it as you leave customs; it helps the staff find you and point you in the right direction) and one booklet full of helpful information about your cruise. There are no vouchers in the box. Your personal cruise details are printed in the booklet (one for each guest). You do not need to bring both booklets with you.

The booklet answers a lot of questions -- like what pier you are embarking at, what your flights are if you are using Viking Air, telephone numbers/e-mail for the ship, hints on what to pack and what the dress code is, how gratuities work on the ship, money and currency issues and a whole bunch more. Some of that 'whole bunch more' is about the port cities or the optional tour, so I take one of the booklets and tear our all the stuff I will need while I am away and I leave everything else home.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"Caminante no hay camino, se hace camino al andar." Antonio Machado
Expand for links to links to photos and more.
The high value put upon every minute of time, the idea of hurry-hurry as the most important objective of living, is unquestionably the most dangerous enemy of joy Herman Hesse





Click on the links below for photos

AT SEA: 1983/NCL Caribbean ~ 1985/Premier DisneyWorld+Cruise ~ 1997/NCL Alaska ~ 2000/Renaissance Istanbul to Athens ~ 2001/Celebrity Horizon Southern Caribbean ~ 200?/NCL Boston to Bermuda ~ 2005/Celebrity Zenith Central America/Western Caribbean ~ 2006/RCCL L.A. to Ensenada ~2007/Celebrity Century Scandinavia & Baltic Capitals ~2009/Celebrity Infinity South America around the Horn ~ 2016/Viking Sea Midnight Sun ~ 2016/Viking Sea NYE on the Med

RIVER DAYS: 2010/Viking River Cruises "China's Cultural Delights" ~ 2013/Viking "Footsteps of the Cossacks" ~ 2015/Viking "Passage to Eastern Europe"

Save
Southern California
686 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
Originally posted by Viking Cruises
Dear Peregrina651,

We appreciate your invitation to clarify.

In general, all guests with the Silver Spirits Beverage Package will receive mini-bar replenishments of alcoholic beverages - regardless of cabin category. This service is a recent addition to the package’s amenities.

Our World Cruise, however, will operate a bit differently. Specific details will be released to guests as the sailing approaches.

Thanks again for the invite. We hope this response has been helpful and want to take the opportunity to remind the Cruise Critic community that we are always happy to answer questions or clarify concerns at [email protected].

Kind regards,
Viking Cruises
Found the post with change in replenishing the mini bar..hope this helps everyone
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

New Hampshire
484 Posts
Joined Jun 2015
Originally posted by Peregrina651
Yup, that is the box you have been waiting for. Sometimes they get things out a little early.

The box should contain a pair of red luggage tags, strip luggage tags pre-printed with your name and cabin number (these go on the bag right before you hand your luggage over for transfer to the ship), a red circle sticker if you have Viking transfers (put it as you leave customs; it helps the staff find you and point you in the right direction) and one booklet full of helpful information about your cruise. There are no vouchers in the box. Your personal cruise details are printed in the booklet (one for each guest). You do not need to bring both booklets with you.

The booklet answers a lot of questions -- like what pier you are embarking at, what your flights are if you are using Viking Air, telephone numbers/e-mail for the ship, hints on what to pack and what the dress code is, how gratuities work on the ship, money and currency issues and a whole bunch more. Some of that 'whole bunch more' is about the port cities or the optional tour, so I take one of the booklets and tear our all the stuff I will need while I am away and I leave everything else home.
I suggest pasting the red sticker on your forehead so you won't be missed!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Viking Sea Viking Homelands May-June 2017
Viking Lofn Switzerland to Amsterdam October 2016
Silverseas Silver Spirit Mediterranean September 2015
Viking Buri Portraits of Southern France April 2015
Viking Freya Romantic Danube September 2014

Northern Virginia
625 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
Originally posted by philw1776
I suggest pasting the red sticker on your forehead so you won't be missed!

Make sure you show your passport to each other before you leave the house for the taxi to the airport too! Speaking from experience with a forgetful husband. Fortunately we're only 10 miles from the airport and arrive a good 2.5 to 3 hrs in advance. Paying extra ($100) to check in both his bag and mine while he caught a taxi home to retrieve his passport is no fun and nerve wracking to me while I waited for him at the gate. The rule now - at his request btw - is to ask him to show me his passport as we leave. Not just ask if he has it as I did the 2nd time this happened. Ain't love grand?


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Boston MA
5,993 Posts
Joined Dec 2006
Originally posted by CharTrav
Make sure you show your passport to each other before you leave the house for the taxi to the airport too! Speaking from experience with a forgetful husband. Fortunately we're only 10 miles from the airport and arrive a good 2.5 to 3 hrs in advance. Paying extra ($100) to check in both his bag and mine while he caught a taxi home to retrieve his passport is no fun and nerve wracking to me while I waited for him at the gate. The rule now - at his request btw - is to ask him to show me his passport as we leave. Not just ask if he has it as I did the 2nd time this happened. Ain't love grand?


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
LOL, we all have our own systems for getting this job done. In our household, I'm in charge of paperwork and that includes passports. Fortunately, our passports spend their down-time together in the same drawer (along with our stash of travel euros) and gathering them up for packing does not involve a mad "now where did he hide it this time" kind of a hunt. He's in charge of the "did you remember?" list before the limo arrives--because, really, I'm the ditz in this relationship. Yes, love is grand.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"Caminante no hay camino, se hace camino al andar." Antonio Machado
Expand for links to links to photos and more.
The high value put upon every minute of time, the idea of hurry-hurry as the most important objective of living, is unquestionably the most dangerous enemy of joy Herman Hesse





Click on the links below for photos

AT SEA: 1983/NCL Caribbean ~ 1985/Premier DisneyWorld+Cruise ~ 1997/NCL Alaska ~ 2000/Renaissance Istanbul to Athens ~ 2001/Celebrity Horizon Southern Caribbean ~ 200?/NCL Boston to Bermuda ~ 2005/Celebrity Zenith Central America/Western Caribbean ~ 2006/RCCL L.A. to Ensenada ~2007/Celebrity Century Scandinavia & Baltic Capitals ~2009/Celebrity Infinity South America around the Horn ~ 2016/Viking Sea Midnight Sun ~ 2016/Viking Sea NYE on the Med

RIVER DAYS: 2010/Viking River Cruises "China's Cultural Delights" ~ 2013/Viking "Footsteps of the Cossacks" ~ 2015/Viking "Passage to Eastern Europe"

Save
Northern Virginia
625 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
Originally posted by Peregrina651
LOL, we all have our own systems for getting this job done. In our household, I'm in charge of paperwork and that includes passports. Fortunately, our passports spend their down-time together in the same drawer (along with our stash of travel euros) and gathering them up for packing does not involve a mad "now where did he hide it this time" kind of a hunt. He's in charge of the "did you remember?" list before the limo arrives--because, really, I'm the ditz in this relationship. Yes, love is grand.

Note that I let HIM suggest the fix.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Boston MA
5,993 Posts
Joined Dec 2006
Originally posted by CharTrav
Note that I let HIM suggest the fix.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
And he KNEW that you would not let him get away with having you take charge of the passports.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"Caminante no hay camino, se hace camino al andar." Antonio Machado
Expand for links to links to photos and more.
The high value put upon every minute of time, the idea of hurry-hurry as the most important objective of living, is unquestionably the most dangerous enemy of joy Herman Hesse





Click on the links below for photos

AT SEA: 1983/NCL Caribbean ~ 1985/Premier DisneyWorld+Cruise ~ 1997/NCL Alaska ~ 2000/Renaissance Istanbul to Athens ~ 2001/Celebrity Horizon Southern Caribbean ~ 200?/NCL Boston to Bermuda ~ 2005/Celebrity Zenith Central America/Western Caribbean ~ 2006/RCCL L.A. to Ensenada ~2007/Celebrity Century Scandinavia & Baltic Capitals ~2009/Celebrity Infinity South America around the Horn ~ 2016/Viking Sea Midnight Sun ~ 2016/Viking Sea NYE on the Med

RIVER DAYS: 2010/Viking River Cruises "China's Cultural Delights" ~ 2013/Viking "Footsteps of the Cossacks" ~ 2015/Viking "Passage to Eastern Europe"

Save