Windstar evening dresses?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Windstar Cruises
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:48 AM.
Alberta, Canada
16 Posts
Joined Jun 2013
Hello,
I am so excited about our first Windstar cruise and looking for as much information (tips, comments, recent photos) about the ship Wind Surf. Also, has anyone ever spent New Years Eve on Windstar? I have read that the evening dress code is casual elegant and we were wondering should we bring the tuxedo and formal evening gown for that night? Does anyone have any pics of the evening dresses they wore while on a Windstar cruise. I am just trying to gauge what dresses to bring?
Clearwater, FL
649 Posts
Joined Dec 2013
Assume you'll be in the islands. Leave the tux home. Bring a sport coat. Dressy tops or dressy dress for women. You'll see mostly casual, Tommy Bahama type shirts. It's relaxation time. Just can't imagine lugging a tux to the islands, even for NYE.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
14,619 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
No tux or formal evening dress, you'd be terribly overdressed. I have never seen a tux or formal dress on any Windstar cruise. A sport port coat is more than enough. I got off a Med. Cruise last week. For dinner, some things I wore were a ballet neck navy linen shift with a statement necklace, a black silk Eileen Fisher shift for dinner with the captain with pearl jewelry, and white pants with a blue linen blouse and nice sandals.
The dressiest I've ever been was with a subdued cocktail dress. It's nice, but "country club casual."
3,810 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
Windstar is very casual. Nobody cares what you wear. Basically, no shorts at dinner. There are some people who enjoy dressing up. I have never seen a tuxedo on Windstar. Some women do wear long dresses. Lots of men wear nice jeans at dinner. The world is becoming more casual. Enjoy being relaxed.
Minnesota
369 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
We spent New Years Eve on the Wind Star in Costa Rica and had a marvelous time! I wore a "dressy" sundress and my husband wore khakis and a silk Tommy Bahama Hawaiian shirt. They passed out hats and noisemakers for all. I have seen pretty maxi dresses that are like sundresses with pretty sandals too. I haven't ever seen a tux or a formal gown on WS. It's just not that type of cruise.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Wind Surf 1.30.2016 "Classic Caribbean"
Carnival Magic 2.8.2015
Wind Spirit 12.27.2014 "Panama Canal & Costa Rica"
Legend of the Seas 6.13.2003 "Alaska"
Royal Olympian 2001 "3 Continents"
Dolphin Cruise Line 11.1995
Monarch of the Seas 2.23.1992 "Southern Caribbean"
Southlake, Texas
1,133 Posts
Joined Sep 2004
Originally posted by Redtravel
Windstar is very casual. Nobody cares what you wear. Basically, no shorts at dinner. There are some people who enjoy dressing up. I have never seen a tuxedo on Windstar. Some women do wear long dresses. Lots of men wear nice jeans at dinner. The world is becoming more casual. Enjoy being relaxed.
Actually, the dress code is no shorts, jeans or flip flops. I have not seen jeans in the dining room, except white jeans on women.

We were on the Windstar on New Years Eve in the Panama Canal. That night was chosen for the on deck barbecue so it was even more casual than usual.
185 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
As everyone said - very casual - no tuxes or even suits. Sportscoats are rare. You will see a lot of men in nice Tommy Bahama type shirts, polos or button down shirts with khaki pants. I generally take a long dress or two but they are the casual summer party type dress, not fancy, like you would find at Chicos or a longer linen Eileen Fischer type dress. You will see sundresses as well.I usually bring a pair of nice black pants and wedge or platform sandal shoes and several nice tops to pair with for evenings.