Port of Seattle launches free airport luggage service

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

West Coast Departures

Honolulu, Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, San Francisco, Vancouver
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 07:06 AM.
Northern California
3,136 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
Originally posted by ransrider
Oh, I get it now. I'm flying Delta with priority boarding. Southwest must do things differently. Happy travels.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app
Oh, they do it differently for sure! You can buy "Early Bird" and have Southwest check you in early for better placement. Or, you can check yourself in and get your own placement. You get a group: A, B, or C. And you get a number. At boarding time, you line up as your group is called and by numerical order. No assigned seating. Get on, sit down, and buckle up. It works well if you work it well.
51 Posts
Joined Jan 2017
Originally posted by Barnkitty
This is a great service, and I have used it on RC, Carnival and NCL in both Ft Lauderdale and Miami.

However-- it only works on certain airlines, and the flight must leave after a specified time...like in Miami, the flight had to leave after 11:45, I think. So check the flight departure times carefully.

And you do end up paying like $20 per bag. But so much easier than slepping off the ship and to ground transportation, and checking it in at the airport.

I cannot say enough good things about the Port of Seattle offering free valet luggage service. I flew Southwest, so my two bags were free. A big plus for me was that I didn't have to pay an overweight charge for my over-50 lb. bag! Thank you Seattle, Celebrity, and Southwest! My bags were both delivered to my home airport baggage claim.
WA state
2,864 Posts
Joined Oct 2014
Originally posted by Barnkitty
This is a great service, and I have used it on RC, Carnival and NCL in both Ft Lauderdale and Miami.

However-- it only works on certain airlines, and the flight must leave after a specified time...like in Miami, the flight had to leave after 11:45, I think. So check the flight departure times carefully.

And you do end up paying like $20 per bag. But so much easier than slepping off the ship and to ground transportation, and checking it in at the airport.
The Port Valet program is only available at the Seattle ports but it is almost identical to Princess' EZ-Check program and Holland-America's program (whose name slips my mind right now) as well as programs that other cruise lines have. Port Valet only works with flights on American, Alaska, JetBlue, Delta (domestic only) United and Southwest.

Tom
Tucson, AZ
335 Posts
Joined Jan 2006
Question - We are flying Alaska, using "the Port Valet service". Will I still have to pay the $25. checked bag fee - if the service reads from ship to arrival baggage claim" free. ???
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jim & Wools
WA state
2,864 Posts
Joined Oct 2014
Originally posted by GYMIL
Question - We are flying Alaska, using "the Port Valet service". Will I still have to pay the $25. checked bag fee - if the service reads from ship to arrival baggage claim" free. ???
You will be charged the airline baggage fee.

Tom
United States
749 Posts
Joined Jun 2014
Originally posted by GYMIL
Question - We are flying Alaska, using "the Port Valet service". Will I still have to pay the $25. checked bag fee - if the service reads from ship to arrival baggage claim" free. ???
Tom is correct, you will need to pay your baggage fee as the Port of Seattle Cruise Luggage Valet Program states. The following link answers your question under the heading: Is the Service Really Free?
http://www.portseattle.org/Cruise/Pages/Port-Valet.aspx
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature





Tucson, AZ
335 Posts
Joined Jan 2006
Thanks again Tom and ransrider. I have only used the free shipping when on a Grand cruise endind in Europe Ship to door step and it was GREAT!
Jim & Wools
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jim & Wools
WA state
2,864 Posts
Joined Oct 2014
Originally posted by GYMIL
Thank you, Do I pay that fee when I ticket my flight?
You will be charged the baggage fee appropriate to your airline to your shipboard account. If there is some reason that you have free luggage then you will indicate that reason on the back of the form which you will get onboard the ship. Unless something has changed in the past few weeks, you will get the form early in the week of your cruise and it MUST be turned in by 12 noon of day you are in Juneau. You will receive all your paperwork the day you are in Victoria.

Any more questions, feel free to ask. I tried to include a copy of the form but it' a .jpg and I can't seem to do it. Sorry

Tom
2 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
Originally posted by GYMIL
Question - We are flying Alaska, using "the Port Valet service". Will I still have to pay the $25. checked bag fee - if the service reads from ship to arrival baggage claim" free. ???
Yes, you will still have to pay the baggage fee. The charge will appear on your shipboard account as "Airline Baggage Charge"
New Jersey
8,925 Posts
Joined May 2007
Originally posted by Pierlesscruisers
You will be charged the baggage fee appropriate to your airline to your shipboard account. If there is some reason that you have free luggage then you will indicate that reason on the back of the form which you will get onboard the ship. Unless something has changed in the past few weeks, you will get the form early in the week of your cruise and it MUST be turned in by 12 noon of day you are in Juneau. You will receive all your paperwork the day you are in Victoria.

Any more questions, feel free to ask. I tried to include a copy of the form but it' a .jpg and I can't seem to do it. Sorry

Tom
That sounds like the HAL 14-day cruise. We were on that itinerary and I think we had a bit more time than you state, but best to fill it in early and be done with it.

The form is very simple. If you know for certain that you will have no baggage fees, you have to state the reason. If you hope to be upgraded to first or business from coach/economy, you will be charged the fees that go with your booked coach/economy ticket. I don't know what happens to the fee you paid if your upgrade goes through.

We had no baggage fees because we were in first class. When we got our bags at Newark, I saw that the bags were double tagged, the Port Valet tag I put on and United's own tag--and they even remembered to add their Priority tag, so our bags came up pretty quickly.

One caveat--don't rely on the boarding pass that you get from your cruise line. We got to the passport/ticket check at security and they rejected our boarding passes. The woman said it sometimes happens with the Port Valet pass. So we had to go back to ticketing and have new passes printed. The man I spoke to there said it happens "once in a while" whatever that means. To avoid the possibility of standing in the security line twice, I recommend getting a fresh boarding pass when you arrive at the airport.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Kathy
The THIRD generation in my family to sail on a Cunarder
28 QE2 - including 2 Midnight Sun, 2 Panama Canal, 6 TAs, 4 Canada/New England, and various Caribbean, Bermuda, Europe itineraries
11 QM2 - 7 TAs, Caribbean, Royal Circumnavigation of Australia, Canada
1 Caronia - Baltic
11 HAL -Bermuda, Canada, Caribbean, Alaska
1 Princess
2 RCCL
5 NCL - including 2 on SS Norway (RIP)
1 Uniworld River Cruise (Tulips and Windmills)
1 American Cruise Line - Queen of the West, Columbia & Snake Rivers
Susquehanna Valley, PA
8 Posts
Joined Jun 2017
Just got back from Pacific Coastal cruise. Southwest Valet Service only works if your flight is between 2-6PM. We had a 1:00 flight and they would not allow us to use it. Had to sit longer on the ship and at the airport. We had planned a morning in Seattle. :-(
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Lisa & Marc

Up Next:
March 5, 2018 Independence of the Seas (B2B)

March 10, 2018 Independence of the Seas (B2B)
September 1, 2018 Anthem of the Seas

March 11, 2019 Norwegian Jade
Past Cruises:
September 2017 Explorer of the Seas
May 2017 Anthem of the Seas
February 2017 Oasis of the Seas(B2B)
March, 2017 Oasis of the Seas (B2B)
Sept. 2015 RCCL Anthem of the Seas
May 2015 RCCL Enchantment of the Seas
Mar. 2015 RCCL Quantum of the Seas
Nov. 2014 RCCL Navigator of the Seas
Mar. 2014 RCCL Legend of the Seas
Jan. 2014 RCCL Grandeur of the Seas
Sep. 2013 RCCL Splendour of the Seas
Feb. 2013 RCCL Explorer of the Seas
Mar. 2012 RCCL Allure of the Seas
Nov. 2011 RCCL Explorer of the Seas
Sep. 2011 NCL Pride of America (Hawaii)
Mar. 2011 Uniworld Rhine River Cruise
Sep. 2010 RCCL Explorer of the Seas
Jun. 2008 RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Jul. 2004 RCCL Radiance of the Seas
Apr. 1998 RCCL Enchantment of the Seas
Nov. 1986 Nor. SS Norway
United States
749 Posts
Joined Jun 2014
Port of Seattle complimentary luggage valet program was awesome. We flew out on Delta to Minneapolis at 3:30 p.m. and all went very well. If you use the Delta app, you were able to confirm that your luggage was put into the system the day before embarkation and then tracked when it was loaded onto the plane shortly before take off. Did not use the paper printed boarding pass as I had the app on my phone which showed the boarding pass. We will definitely use this program when in Seattle next year so will need to book out flight out after 2:00 p.m.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature





WA state
2,864 Posts
Joined Oct 2014
Originally posted by ransrider
Port of Seattle complimentary luggage valet program was awesome. We flew out on Delta to Minneapolis at 3:30 p.m. and all went very well. If you use the Delta app, you were able to confirm that your luggage was put into the system the day before embarkation and then tracked when it was loaded onto the plane shortly before take off. Did not use the paper printed boarding pass as I had the app on my phone which showed the boarding pass. We will definitely use this program when in Seattle next year so will need to book out flight out after 2:00 p.m.
The Port Valet program may or may not be around next year. It was announced as a one year program but it might carry on. At this point I don't believe anybody knows for sure one way or the other. But is quite similar to the programs normally offered by Princess and Holland so if it's not around next year, those programs probably will be.

Tom
United States
749 Posts
Joined Jun 2014
Originally posted by ransrider
Port of Seattle complimentary luggage valet program was awesome. We flew out on Delta to Minneapolis at 3:30 p.m. and all went very well. If you use the Delta app, you were able to confirm that your luggage was put into the system the day before debarkation and then tracked when it was loaded onto the plane shortly before take off. Did not use the paper printed boarding pass as I had the app on my phone which showed the boarding pass. We will definitely use this program when in Seattle next year so will need to book our flight out after 2:00 p.m.


Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature





51 Posts
Joined Jan 2017
Originally posted by 2SavoryBites
Just got back from Pacific Coastal cruise. Southwest Valet Service only works if your flight is between 2-6PM. We had a 1:00 flight and they would not allow us to use it. Had to sit longer on the ship and at the airport. We had planned a morning in Seattle. :-(
My 1:10pm flight was eligible - I was on Solstice, flying Southwest. Something everyone needs to keep in mind: Depending on the cruise line, eligible flight times vary. And, for whatever reasons, not all airlines or cruise lines are participating.

You still need to get yourself to the airport. If you don't get information from your cruise line and ship regarding YOUR particular eligibility (prior to sail), go ahead and make your port-to-airport arrangements prior to sailing if you wish. If your ship is participating, there will be a form in your cabin (mine was there the first evening with a bunch of other stuff). FYI: Your flight must be the same day you dock, you do NOT pay anything if your 1-2 checked bags are over 50 lbs., but you do still pay if your airline charges a checked bag fee. I was eligible, did fill out and turn in the form ASAP, received not only luggage tags but printed boarding passes, and my luggage was there in baggage claim when I got to my home airport as promised. Of note, I'm glad I had time to spare, for some reason my pre-printed boarding pass would not scan and TSA sent me back to SW check-in for reprints. I also got PRE-TSA boarding, not sure if was because of port valet luggage program, or my luck. I hope this info helps clear up some of the confusion.