Nee Paris hotel advice

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
France Ports
Cannes, Corsica, Marseille, Nice, Sete, St. Tropez, Toulon, Villefranche. Includes Monaco (Monte Carlo)
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:51 PM.
Atlanta
110 Posts
Joined Jan 2017
Hotel Tourville in the 7th.......easy walk to Invalid, Champs de Mar, Eiffel Tour. Quiet very upscale neighborhood, plenty of bakeries, restaurants on Rue Cler. Between two metro stops that connect to the rest of Paris. 10 minutes to St. Germaine and shopping......very Parisienne.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Erfurt, Thuringen Germany
1,406 Posts
Joined Oct 2008
Originally posted by love to cruz
This will be our first trip to Paris. Planning on spending 3 days prior to getting ship at LeHavre.
What is the best area to book a hotel? Is Paris walkable or quite spread out?
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
I would highly recommend you to check Paris Marriott Champs Elysees Hotel
181 Posts
Joined Dec 2005
I LOVE Paris. I leave next Friday for my 7th trip in 4 years.
I like the 6th near the Luxembourg Gardens.

If I am going to Montmartre or Canal Saint Martin I take the metro there.
Canal Saint Martin if I'm heading to the very far end I take the metro there and back.
Montmartre it depends how exhausted I am. I might take the metro up there and back.
Other than that I mostly walk. My average is 10 miles a day.
A few times in a trip I'll do 13 miles.

Lots of people have a fear of the metro but it is easy to use and very efficient.

Do yourself a favor and book your hotel as far out as possible. Hotels and apartments book up and they normally get more expensive.

Have a great time!!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival - 7 - 1997- 2013
Disney - 5 - 2009 - 2017
RCCL - 3 - 2013 - 2017
Viking Rinda 2015
Azamara Journey Sept 25th 2017
MSC Seaside April 2018
RCCL Harmony November 2018
2,228 Posts
Joined Jul 2006
We will be staying in Paris for several days before a British Isles cruise next August. My 85 year old mother in law will be traveling with us. We would like a convenient location so that we wouldn't have to do a whole lot of walking. Plus, having a HOHO stop near our hotel would be perfect. Any suggestions?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
11,756 Posts
Joined Dec 2004
We have stayed in three different areas. First time was in Marais, the 5th/6hth (or even just inside the 13th), twice in Montparnasse, and once in Port Mailot. Most times it was based on Priceline winning bids. We preferred the 5th and Montparnasse because of proximity to RER and the metro. We typically take the RER to and from Paris because we only have carry on.

We enjoyed Montparnasse and area. We stayed once near the rail station (very handy for the train to Versaille) and the second time close to Eiffel. It was also good for HOHO access, as was Marais.

The Paris Metro is so good and so easy to use/get around. As is the RER and their rail system. I think your best bet is to narrow down the areas/hotels and then select the hotel that appeals to you most for whatever reason. Lots of fine places. We are members of the Accor Hotel chain. They sometimes have very good specials-especially for higher end business hotels during we weekends when business people are not travelling. You generally have to book, pay in advance w/no cancellation to get these rates. Having said that Priceline bidding has been very good for us in Paris and at the CDG area for those nights prior to an early flight.
Scotland and France
374 Posts
Joined Jan 2016
Originally posted by CruzinNoony
We will be staying in Paris for several days before a British Isles cruise next August. My 85 year old mother in law will be traveling with us. We would like a convenient location so that we wouldn't have to do a whole lot of walking. Plus, having a HOHO stop near our hotel would be perfect. Any suggestions?
If you want to visit sites within easy reach of the River Seine, then tickets for the Bateau Bus river taxis are really good. It's a hop on, hop off service across 9 stops - Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame etc.
11,756 Posts
Joined Dec 2004
The Paris Metro is our all time favourite subway system. Add the RER to that and you have a first class public transportation system that is easy to use.

IF you decide to take RER from CDG to Paris try and have some coins available. Sometimes there is a line up to buy RER tickets at the CDG stop but there is seldom a line at the self serve machines. These machines only take coins. Or at least this was the case when we last used the RER at CDG.

We made a mistake last time and just hopped on the Air France bus to Montparnasse. Problem was that Putin or someone was in town and traffic was a zoo. That is a huge benefit to using RER over bus or taxi. It can be much faster during rush hour or during special events.
Cambs. U.K
1,537 Posts
Joined Apr 2003
Originally posted by CruzinNoony
Have a look at hotels in the 1st Arondissement- you can't get more central & walkable than this. Look at hotels near rue de Faubourg St Honore and the Rue Rivoli if you want to be near the Louvre and some nice restaurants. The Hotel Castiglione is pleasant and worth a Google.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Dave & Marge Morgan
Severn, MD
413 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
Loved the Mercure Paris Centre Tour Eiffel. Right next to Eiffel tower. Very clean. Rooms smallish but that's normal in Europe. Prices reasonable.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
April Knighton
Voyager of the Seas 9/14/03 Western Caribbean Brilliance of the Seas 9/11/04 Western Mediterranean Grandeur of the Seas 9/11/05-Baby Bradley's First Cruise! Freedom of the Seas 9/17/06 Western Caribbean-Bradley's Second Cruise! X Century 1/04/07 Bahamas Queen Mary 2 1/06/07 St. Thomas Carnival Sensation 3/29/07 Bahamas X Constellation 8/4/07 Baltics Carnival Fascination 9/28/07 Bahamas X Century 1/19/08 Nassau Monarch of the Seas 2/18/08 Baja Explorer of the Seas 9/11/08 Canada Pacific Princess 9/28/09 Hawaii/Tahiti Carnival Pride 1/24/10 Bahamas Carnival Destiny 8/9/10 Grand Turk/Bahamas Oasis of the Seas 11/13/10 W. Car. X Century 1/15/11 Nassau Carnival Imagination 2/7/11 W. Carib Enchantment of the Seas 7/28/11 E. Carib. Celebrity Millennium 11/19/11 W. Carib. Carnival Glory 3/4/12 Exotic W. Carib. Enchantment of the Seas 7/12/12 Bermuda, Boston, Newport Carnival Pride 11/2/12 Cruise to Nowhere Carnival Destiny 11/17/12 W. Carib Disney Wonder 3/25/13 W. Carib Carnival Breeze 9/28/13 S. Carib Carnival Ecstasy 12/12/13 Bahamas Grandeur of the Seas 4/12/14 Bahamas Carnival Victory 1/10/15 W. Carib.Norwegian Breakaway 3/29/15 Bahamas Ruby Princess 8/9/15 Alaska Carnival Pride 11/22/15 Bahamas Carnival Liberty 2/14/16 Southern Caribbean X Summit 8/14/16 Bermuda Norwegian Getaway 11/20/16 W. Carib Disney Magic 2/8/17 Key West Coral Princess 4/7/17 Panama Canal Norwegian Sky 7/3/17 Havana, Cuba X Equinox 8/27/17 Exotic Caribbean

Total cruise count: 39!

Next Cruise:

Boca Raton, FL
286 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
I'm so glad I found this thread. I've been looking at hotels in Paris for weeks now and finally made a decision to stay in Saint Germain De Pres, I booked La Villa Saint Germain on Rue Jacob (near Cafe De Flore). I was debating between Saint Germain and the 1st Arrondisment and finally made my decision. This will be my 2nd time in Paris, I was there over 40 years ago, so it's pretty much like my first time again.

Hubby and I will be there for 4 nights next May and I'm open to any and all suggestions of places to eat, the best way to get to Versailles. We aren't big museum people, of course we'd like to see Mona at the Louve but we don't want to spend the entire day there. I'm thinking of buying the Paris pass for the museums, has anyone done that? We also would love to take a boat ride on the Seine in the evening.
New Cumberland,PA, USA
27,428 Posts
Joined May 2000
Originally posted by cruisinrg
I'm so glad I found this thread. I've been looking at hotels in Paris for weeks now and finally made a decision to stay in Saint Germain De Pres, I booked La Villa Saint Germain on Rue Jacob (near Cafe De Flore). I was debating between Saint Germain and the 1st Arrondisment and finally made my decision. This will be my 2nd time in Paris, I was there over 40 years ago, so it's pretty much like my first time again.

Hubby and I will be there for 4 nights next May and I'm open to any and all suggestions of places to eat, the best way to get to Versailles. We aren't big museum people, of course we'd like to see Mona at the Louve but we don't want to spend the entire day there. I'm thinking of buying the Paris pass for the museums, has anyone done that? We also would love to take a boat ride on the Seine in the evening.
We do not know your hotel (there are thousands of hotels throughout Paris) but we do know St Germain des Pres, Rue Jacob and the 6th. You have chosen our favorite neighborhood and you are going to find all kinds of interesting cafes, restaurants and shops in your neck of the woods. Not sure about the Paris pass as you need to look at the cost/benefit against what you plan on doing during the stay. Hope you love the Left Bank as much as we do .

Hank