Evening Entertainment???

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Viking Ocean
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:51 AM.
Newport Beach
125 Posts
Joined May 2016
Looking at a Viking cruise in ,2019

No one really discusses evening entertainment. Besides the outdoor movies,what are evenings like onboard.

Thanks
Howard

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
New Hampshire
484 Posts
Joined Jun 2015
Relative to the large ocean cruise ships, Viking's entertainment is less spectacular to say the least.
If entertainment is a priority, best to choose a different ocean cruise line.
We enjoyed the trio playing at various places on the ship, the Living Room, Explorer's Lounge & Wintergarden. Good guitar player too.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Viking Sea Viking Homelands May-June 2017
Viking Lofn Switzerland to Amsterdam October 2016
Silverseas Silver Spirit Mediterranean September 2015
Viking Buri Portraits of Southern France April 2015
Viking Freya Romantic Danube September 2014

Pennsylvania
64 Posts
Joined Jun 2016
In July we took the Viking Homelands cruise, and we enjoyed the entertainment. Philw1776 is correct - the shows are not the big glitzy shows that one sees on other cruise lines. There were 3 young men and 3 young female singers, and a young couple who were the dancers. The guys did a Rat Pack Show, the entire cast did an ABBA show, the young ladies did a show, and there was a Broadway music show. In addition, as Philw1776 indicates there is a guitarist, a pianist, and a classical music trio who perform in different locations on the ship.
New Hampshire
484 Posts
Joined Jun 2015
Well said
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Viking Sea Viking Homelands May-June 2017
Viking Lofn Switzerland to Amsterdam October 2016
Silverseas Silver Spirit Mediterranean September 2015
Viking Buri Portraits of Southern France April 2015
Viking Freya Romantic Danube September 2014

Cherry Hill NJ
451 Posts
Joined Jun 2001
After pounding the pavements in port all day (Viking Homelands) I'll be lucky to be able to stay awake for any evening entertainment. Not a deal breaker for me.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cindy

Zenith, Bermuda 09/97
Rhapsody of the Seas, Southern Caribbean 2/98
Zenith, Bermuda 6/99
Sea Princess, Alaska 7/01
Mercury, Western Caribbean 01/03
NCL Dawn, Florida & Bahamas 9/04
Golden Princess, Canada/New England Oct 2005
NCL Dawn, Canada/New England 9/30/06
NCL Gem, Mediterranean, 10/21/2007
Viking Gullveig, Rhine Getaway, April 25,/2014
Viking Rinda, Paris and Normandy, April 6, 2015

Viking Baldur, Tulips and Windmills, April 14, 2017

Boston MA
5,998 Posts
Joined Dec 2006
Originally posted by CEV426
After pounding the pavements in port all day (Viking Homelands) I'll be lucky to be able to stay awake for any evening entertainment. Not a deal breaker for me.
To be honest, in two cruises I have seen two shows. By the time dessert came to the table each night, I was ready for quiet time. It had nothing to do with the shows themselves; I was just done (in?) for the day. On the other hand, DH, who is in bed by 9 pm most nights, did not miss a single show, even if it was the second time he was seeing it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"Caminante no hay camino, se hace camino al andar." Antonio Machado
Expand for links to links to photos and more.
The high value put upon every minute of time, the idea of hurry-hurry as the most important objective of living, is unquestionably the most dangerous enemy of joy Herman Hesse

Click on the links below for photos

AT SEA: 1983/NCL Caribbean ~ 1985/Premier DisneyWorld+Cruise ~ 1997/NCL Alaska ~ 2000/Renaissance Istanbul to Athens ~ 2001/Celebrity Horizon Southern Caribbean ~ 200?/NCL Boston to Bermuda ~ 2005/Celebrity Zenith Central America/Western Caribbean ~ 2006/RCCL L.A. to Ensenada ~2007/Celebrity Century Scandinavia & Baltic Capitals ~2009/Celebrity Infinity South America around the Horn ~ 2016/Viking Sea Midnight Sun ~ 2016/Viking Sea NYE on the Med

RIVER DAYS: 2010/Viking River Cruises "China's Cultural Delights" ~ 2013/Viking "Footsteps of the Cossacks" ~ 2015/Viking "Passage to Eastern Europe"

Save
Nottingham, MD
119 Posts
Joined Aug 2015
We met such interesting people that dinner with new friends followed by a stroll around the decks took up most of our evenings. We would stop to listen to some of the music in the Atrium.Then we would head back to our cabin to watch the port talk that we had not seen in person that day. I guess that sounds rather low key, but it suited us perfectly.
NC
203 Posts
Joined Jul 2016
We were on the Homeland cruise-- Viking Sky Aug. 15-31. We loved the shows at night! The dancing and singing performers were wonderful and very talented. We enjoyed the Caberet, Rat Pack, Abba, Broadway shows as well as the other ones I can't name! We attended one movie night in the theater which included popcorn--not hungry but ate it anyway! We also attended a show with dancing by performers and guests --I think it was by the pool one night. After 2 Viking River cruises (which I loved!) with only piano playing, cooking demo and port talks for entertainment, the ocean cruise was a wonderful change having so much more to offer on a larger ship.
Pennsylvania, USA
104 Posts
Joined Mar 2015
Viking Oceans hires very talented musicians, though there are only a few of them. The pianist on our 2015 Viking Homelands was marvelous, as were the classical trio. Viking Daily always tells you who will be playing where and when (Living Room, Explorer's Lounge, etc.). There was a music trivia game in Explorer's Lounge one night, and some folks also danced to the piano there other evenings. Watch the Viking Daily!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Eaglewatchers (Candy and David)

Viking Homelands (on Viking Star), July, 2015
Tulips and Windmills (on Viking Bragi), Mar-April, 2016
Romantic Danube (Viking Jarl) May, 2017
Grand Pacific Explorer (Viking Spirit) 2019
Belle Harbor, NY
628 Posts
Joined Nov 2013
Originally posted by luvnps
In July we took the Viking Homelands cruise, and we enjoyed the entertainment. Philw1776 is correct - the shows are not the big glitzy shows that one sees on other cruise lines. There were 3 young men and 3 young female singers, and a young couple who were the dancers. The guys did a Rat Pack Show, the entire cast did an ABBA show, the young ladies did a show, and there was a Broadway music show. In addition, as Philw1776 indicates there is a guitarist, a pianist, and a classical music trio who perform in different locations on the ship.
We had the same rotation when we went in June. We saw all the shows and tried to relax for the early entertainment and they were all great. On our tour, we also had a very funny comic. So sometimes, you get guest acts.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

London
1,887 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
Must admit I thought the evening entertainment on our Viking Sea January cruise rather weak. Just my opinion of course but I was a little disappointed.

It did not however spoil our enjoyment of the cruise. Everything else was wonderful
56 Posts
Joined Mar 2017
Only thing to add is on some nights, primarily is the ship over nights, they will have local entertainment, Russian opera singers in St. Petersburg were excellent,.
Boston MA
5,998 Posts
Joined Dec 2006
Originally posted by Fpacifico
We had the same rotation when we went in June. We saw all the shows and tried to relax for the early entertainment and they were all great. On our tour, we also had a very funny comic. So sometimes, you get guest acts.
There were comments a few months back that Viking was adding variety acts to the line up--and retiring one of the musical shows.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
The high value put upon every minute of time, the idea of hurry-hurry as the most important objective of living, is unquestionably the most dangerous enemy of joy Herman Hesse

AT SEA: 1983/NCL Caribbean ~ 1985/Premier DisneyWorld+Cruise ~ 1997/NCL Alaska ~ 2000/Renaissance Istanbul to Athens ~ 2001/Celebrity Horizon Southern Caribbean ~ 200?/NCL Boston to Bermuda ~ 2005/Celebrity Zenith Central America/Western Caribbean ~ 2006/RCCL L.A. to Ensenada ~2007/Celebrity Century Scandinavia & Baltic Capitals ~2009/Celebrity Infinity South America around the Horn ~ 2016/Viking Sea Midnight Sun ~ 2016/Viking Sea NYE on the Med

RIVER DAYS: 2010/Viking River Cruises "China's Cultural Delights" ~ 2013/Viking "Footsteps of the Cossacks" ~ 2015/Viking "Passage to Eastern Europe"

Save
Arizona
126 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
We just finished the Homelands cruise and agree with Spursgirl- we thought the singing acts were weak. Heather Clancy, the cruise director, performed one night and she was fabulous. The music in the atrium was pleasant. I think there might have been a movie or two under the stars, but I'd need several heated blankets and a small campfire in order to brave the very cool temps we had. Sometimes just watching and talking with fellow travelers was the most enjoyable way to pend our time.
Boston MA
5,998 Posts
Joined Dec 2006
Originally posted by Krisval
We just finished the Homelands cruise and agree with Spursgirl- we thought the singing acts were weak. Heather Clancy, the cruise director, performed one night and she was fabulous. The music in the atrium was pleasant. I think there might have been a movie or two under the stars, but I'd need several heated blankets and a small campfire in order to brave the very cool temps we had. Sometimes just watching and talking with fellow travelers was the most enjoyable way to pend our time.
Movies under the stars is by the pool and if the weather is too cool, they close the roof.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Save
AKRON, OH. USA
3,810 Posts
Joined Aug 2002
Friends want us to join them on the Sky. We love to dance the night away. Most of the ships we have been on have dancing at least 2 -3 places every night. Is this possible on the Sky?