Port Transportation - San Pedro to LAX

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

West Coast Departures

Honolulu, Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, San Francisco, Vancouver
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 07:02 AM.
Fort Worth, TX
508 Posts
Joined Jun 2006
For those that have experience with Princess and the port at San Pedro, I have a question. We have a later flight (~3:00 P.M.) leaving from LAX on the day of debarkation, and am wondering about transportation options back to the airport. I could purchase a transfer through Princess, but from memory, they have a tendency to leave way too early. Does anyone know the approximate cost, just for comparison ? Prior Princess cruises, through Fort Lauderdale, would have debarkation around 8:30 A.M. for a flight leaving in our time frame. I have no desire rushing to exit the ship, only to have to wait in the bus/airport for hours on end. I know a taxi would run in the $75 price range, and there should be plenty of them. That is always the fallback, if nothing else works out. Is there dedicated, unreserved shuttles that make airport runs waiting, like in Fort Lauderdale ? Or, do they only allow shuttles that have passenger with prior reservations ? Thus, I would have to make reservations for Supershuttle or something equivalent. The wife and I aren't Uber/Lyft type of people, so I don't want tp put them in the equation. I am asking about a shuttle, since there are only 2 of us, and am in no great hurry to exit the ship. So, if we could catch one, on the fly, around 10:00 - 10:30. that would be ideal. Thanks for any insights you may have.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Ruby Princess 12/17 (Coming Soon)
RCCL Liberty of the Seas 11/16
Royal Princess 04/16
Caribbean Princess 11/15
Crown Princess 07/15
RCCL Navigator of the Seas 08/14
RCCL Oasis of the Seas 03/14
Caribbean Princess 12/13
Crown Princess 01/13
Ruby Princess 02/12
Carnival Conquest 08/10
Carnival Ecstasy 01/09
Carnival Ecstasy 01/08
Carnival Conquest 10/06
RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas 10/03
Celebrity Mercury 06/02
Carnival Fantasy 10/99
Carnival Imagination 10/96
Carnival Jubilee 06/87
87,704 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
You have a few other options:

One is a private car service. We have used execucar.com

Their web site is www.execucar.com

They are a subsidiary of super shuttle but I would go with a private vehicle and be one of the last off the ship. Schedule a pickup at around 9:30 AM. Till you get to LAX, check in , get through security you can then have lunch there.

Keith
Calabasas, CA, USA
11,675 Posts
Joined Dec 2002
Originally posted by big_schots
...if we could catch one, on the fly, around 10:00 - 10:30. that would be ideal. Thanks for any insights you may have.
The shuttle services WILL have lots of shuttles at the pier...mostly because a lot of folks will make reservations...and because they know there's a market for it...HOWEVER, the problem is that, if you are trying to be among the last off the ship, by that time, those shuttles may have already split the scene...

So, if I were you, I would go ahead and make some sort of reservation. As Keith noted, Execucar is a good deal--if you want a private car service. If you are looking for as low a price as you can get, then I'd just reserve a shared shuttle service--which should run around $17 per person one way. The good thing is that, with so many people leaving a ship and headed for LAX, there's a pretty good chance they will just fill up at the pier and not make any other stops --so, direct service from the pier to LAX...avoiding one of the main problems with shared shuttles--waiting to fill up and then making multiple drop-off stops.

A 3:00 flight means you will have a lot of time to fill...So, I agree with you...Get to the main dining room as late as you can for breakfast and then take as long eating it as they'll let you...Even with that, they'll want to clear the ship by 10:00 am if not earlier...and the MDR way before that...so, 9:30 is not bad for a pick-up estimate...Of course, knowing Super Shuttle, they'd probably have the van there waiting for you. Depending on the day of the week and traffic, you would get to LAX as early as 10:00 am (it's only a 20 mile ride, virtually all freeway, so, if traffic is light--like Sunday morning, for example, you'd arrive around 10:00)...Even with traffic by 10:30 or so...So, expect to have about 4 and a half hours to kill at LAX...Bring a book or other entertainment...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Next:
12/22/17 RCCL Navigator of the Seas-S Caribbean
6/29/18 Celebrity Millennium-Alaska-7 nt
7/18/18 Viking Aegir-E. Europe-13 nt

HAL Maasdam 7 nt Canada 7/17*RCCL Jewel OTS 7 nt Greece 7/17*RCCL Jewel OTS 7 nt W Med 6/17*Ruby Princess 8 nt Mex Riviera 12/16*Celebrity Constellation 13 nt Iberia 7/16*Celebrity Silhouette 7 nt W. Carib 3/16*Star Princess 5 nt Cabo 11/15*Celebrity Xpedition 10 nt Galapagos/Quito 7/15*Celebrity Millennium 7 nt Alaska 6/15*Crown Princess 3 nt Baja 1/15*Golden Princess 3 nt Baja 11/14*Viking Emerald 17 nt China 6/14*RCCL Allure OTS 7 nt E. Carib 1/14*Golden Princess 3 nt Baja 11/13*Celebrity Silhouette 13 nt Adriatic 6/13*RCCL Mariner OTS 7 nt W. Carib 12/12*Celebrity Eclipse 14 nt Iceland/Norway 7/12*Celebrity Century 13 nt Australia/New Zealand 12/11-12*Oceania Marina 16 nt W. Europe 8/11*Carnival Paradise 3 nt Baja 2/11*RCCL Allure OTS 7 nt W. Carib 1/11*Celebrity Eclipse 14 nt Baltic 7/10*Celebrity Summit 7 nt S. Carib 3/10*RCCL Mariner OTS, 7 nt Mex Riviera 1/10*Oceania Nautica 14 nt Med/Egypt/Israel 6/09*RCCL Mariner OTS 1 nt Pre-Inaugural 2/09*Sapphire Princess 7 nt Mex Riviera 12/08-9*Celebrity Constellation 14 nt Baltic 7/08*RCCL Vision OTS 7 nt Mex Riviera 3/08*Carnival Liberty, 8 nt Panama 7/07*RCCL Liberty OTS 7 nt W. Caribbean 6/07*RCCL Monarch OTS 5 nt Baja 1/07*Oceania Nautica 14 nt Med 7/06*RCCL Monarch OTS 3 nt Baja 4/06*Celebrity Constellation 14 nt N. Europe 7/05*Celebrity Constellation 7 nt S. Carib 3/05*Celebrity Summit 13 nt Alaska Cruisetour 7/04*RCCL Monarch OTS 3 nt Baja 1/04*Celebrity Millennium 13 nt Med 8/03*RCCL Grandeur OTS 7 nt Mex Riviera 7/02*Crown Princess, 10 nt Baltic/Russia 8/01*Carnival Elation 7 nt Mex Riviera 8/00*RCCL Grandeur OTS 7 nt E. Carib 8/98*Carnival Jubilee 7 nt Mex Riviera 7/97*RCCL Viking Serenade 4 nt Baja 7/96*RCCL Viking Serenade 3 nt Baja 6/94*Norwegian Southward 3 nt Baja 12/89*Premier Big Red Boat Atlantic 7 nt Disney 3/89
Washington
2,144 Posts
Joined May 2008
There are other private car services besides Execucar that have a lower rate, and have clean cars with courteous drivers. One is onetime1.com. Their rate from Lax to San Pedro is about $55 in a private town car.