Private Excursions - Maderia (Funchal)

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:04 PM.
Palmdale, Ca
33,441 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Started this thread so everyone would have a central point for private excursions for this port.....

Bob
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Future: Star Princess Hawaii R/T From LA 11/18
Future: Emerald Princess Alaska R/T From from Los Angeles 04/18
Pacific Princess Panama Canal Cruise 05/17 - 17 Days
Caribbean Princess Iceland/Norway T/A 09/16 - 17 Days **First Princess Elite Cruise**
Caribbean Princess Iceland/Norway T/A 09/15 - 16 Days
Golden Princess West Coast Getaway 04/15 - 3 Days
Royal Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/13 - 18 Days Inaugural T/A Crossing
Sapphire Princess Hawaii R/T From LA 03/13 - 14 Days
Ruby Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/11 - 18 Days
Golden Princess Hawaii R/T From LA 02/11 - 14 Days
Ruby Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/09 - 18 Days
Diamond Princess AUS/NZ 01/09 - 12 Days
Emerald Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/08 - 18 Days
Celebrity Constellation British Isles/Norway 07/06 - 14 Days
Celebrity Summit Alaska Repo 05/05 - 14 Days
Celebrity Summit Panama Canal 10/02 - 14 Days
RCCL Rhapsody OTS Alaska 09/01 - 7 Days
RCCL Splendour OTS Baltic/Northern Europe 09/99 - 12 Days
HAL Veendam Eastern Caribbean 07/96 - 7 Days
Carnival Holiday Western Caribbean 07/93 - 7 Days

240 Days At Sea: 167 Days Princess , 42 Days Celebrity. 19 Days RCCL, 7 Days HAL, 7 Days Carnival.....

My Cruise Pictures on Flickr

Roll Call Thread

Roll Call Thread
Kailua,Hi 96734
1,501 Posts
Joined Jan 2001
Originally posted by Woobstr112G
Started this thread so everyone would have a central point for private excursions for this port.....

Bob
Harold and I are very interested in this Port!

Bev
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bev
Eastern Virginia
6,086 Posts
Joined Feb 2001
Between my real life and my cruising one I’ve been pretty busy the last 2 days (my fellow Royal Cruisers had something to do with the latter). Anyway, I’m posting this on all our various port threads so people will know where to send info.

On our spreadsheet I have pages for private tours. On previous cruises I think the Roll Call members found it handy to have a central place to look at what tours had been booked and which had space available. As you book tours if you send me information re: destination (brief – as in Amalfi Coast), organizer of the tour and participants (including CC names), and cost, I will add the tour to the pages. I will notate if the tour is full or has space available.

My e-mail address is Sunviking2013 at gmail.com
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
North Coastal San Diego county
8,246 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Bob great port .We have been there before & want to see other things .Got to do research when we have time .

Bob thanks again for opening these threads & being pro active .We need all these private tour groups.

Cliff
Kailua,Hi 96734
1,501 Posts
Joined Jan 2001
Just received the lasted Guide, this time to Maderia! How luck are we?

Thank you Tom.
I hope everyone takes the time to read his guides. What a wealth of info!

Bev
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bev
NJ
2,382 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
We just also read this one, Tom we both thank you and can't wait see Madeira.

Joyce & John
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Joyce
Southern Cal/Maui No Ka Oi
18,607 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
We'd be interested in joining a private tour.

If anyone has been to Maderia & to Ponta Delgada, Azores...are they similar volcanic islands? I've been to the Azores & it was a beautiful volcanic island.
8,246 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Originally posted by WineCountryCruiser
Barb & I very interested in this port too!

Craig
Craig we are working on Maidera port now .Juyst sent a e-mail out to a recommended tour operator from past cruise critic members . we will let you know the results via e-mail when we hear back .You & the others on our Messina & Naples tours are the first to hear about this prt & Cannes

We have visited this port once in the past & it is a very nice port . Their wine is world famous & they sell nice wool sweaters

Cliff
Napa Valley, California
1,977 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Originally posted by mcrcruiser
Craig we are working on Maidera port now .Juyst sent a e-mail out to a recommended tour operator from past cruise critic members . we will let you know the results via e-mail when we hear back .You & the others on our Messina & Naples tours are the first to hear about this prt & Cannes

We have visited this port once in the past & it is a very nice port . Their wine is world famous & they sell nice wool sweaters

Cliff
Excellent. We enjoy the wine and look forward to the port tour.

Craig
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past Cruises:

Princess - 46 Cruises, 545 Days
HAL - 1 Cruise, 22 Days
San Diego
5,997 Posts
Joined Jul 2006
Three years ago we booked Strawberry tours in Madeira. Everyone booked directly with them on line. They had very comfortable Mercedes buses.
If this was done in advance, price was half of what it was for same day people. The tours were for West or East Madeira. Don't remember which one we took but it was all day for 37 euros (for both of us total). Lunch on our own but tour operator made some very reasonable suggestion as to where to eat.
We covered all the fabulous towns on the island, went up the mountain for spectacular photos. Our tours filled two of their buses. Funny, they sat us in the bus based on who booked first. We were lucky to get the first two seats.We paid day of tour and they did take credit cards or Euros.
Pick up was at the pier.
The town of Funchal is a beautiful town for people that just want to walk around and enjoy it. We did that two years ago since we saw the island previously. Wine is yummy. Tastes cost a Euro, not free.
However, the liquor store in the cruise terminal gives you tastes of several before you buy at no cost. We were able to buy brandy as well and bring it on board since it was made in Madeira. Security at port, not ship security so maybe that was why it was okay.
Gloria
Napa Valley, California
1,977 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Originally posted by san diego sue
Three years ago we booked Strawberry tours in Madeira. Everyone booked directly with them on line. They had very comfortable Mercedes buses.
If this was done in advance, price was half of what it was for same day people. The tours were for West or East Madeira. Don't remember which one we took but it was all day for 37 euros (for both of us total). Lunch on our own but tour operator made some very reasonable suggestion as to where to eat.
We covered all the fabulous towns on the island, went up the mountain for spectacular photos. Our tours filled two of their buses. Funny, they sat us in the bus based on who booked first. We were lucky to get the first two seats.We paid day of tour and they did take credit cards or Euros.
Pick up was at the pier.
The town of Funchal is a beautiful town for people that just want to walk around and enjoy it. We did that two years ago since we saw the island previously. Wine is yummy. Tastes cost a Euro, not free.
However, the liquor store in the cruise terminal gives you tastes of several before you buy at no cost. We were able to buy brandy as well and bring it on board since it was made in Madeira. Security at port, not ship security so maybe that was why it was okay.
Gloria
Thanks Gloria. Sounds great. Any particular wines that you liked?

Craig
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past Cruises:

Princess - 46 Cruises, 545 Days
HAL - 1 Cruise, 22 Days
Anchorage, AK
1,303 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
George & Karen (KofAK) would be interested in joining a tour in this port.

George
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
KofAK
mccain.george AT aol DOT com

Sacramento, CA
1,631 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
Originally posted by KofAK
George & Karen (KofAK) would be interested in joining a tour in this port.

George

Ken and I would also be interested in a tour in this port...Thanks, Claudia and Ken aka kennykat
8,246 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
We have one opening for 2 people on our Madiera /Funchal tour . It is a all day tour of the beautiful west side of the island & Funchal itself . The tour operator was recomended by prior cruise critic members on the port boards .

We will have a total of 14 people in a 15 seater van & the cost each ,all day tour is 23 euros each (luunch not included )

If you want to be on this tour ,send me a e-mail with your names & state room # . We need your steroom # so that if we need to communicate with you aboard ship .

When we get your e-mail we will e-mail to you the vendors details .

We have 3 tours detailed & one we are still working on in Cannes .

When we finish (fill the cannes tour ) & the last couple for this tour ,i will send a recap of all tours out to all 4 tour participants .

Cliff Send e-mail to me at :[email protected]
8,246 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Originally posted by mcrcruiser
We have one opening for 2 people on our Madiera /Funchal tour . It is a all day tour of the beautiful west side of the island & Funchal itself . The tour operator was recomended by prior cruise critic members on the port boards .

We will have a total of 14 people in a 15 seater van & the cost each ,all day tour is 23 euros each (luunch not included )

If you want to be on this tour ,send me a e-mail with your names & state room # . We need your steroom # so that if we need to communicate with you aboard ship .

When we get your e-mail we will e-mail to you the vendors details .

We have 3 tours detailed & one we are still working on in Cannes .

When we finish (fill the cannes tour ) & the last couple for this tour ,i will send a recap of all tours out to all 4 tour participants .

Cliff Send e-mail to me at :[email protected]
This opening filled in jet spead .Tour all filled

Cliff
San Diego
5,997 Posts
Joined Jul 2006
For the person that asked if Madeira and Ponta Del Gado are similar.
No, . Funchal (Madeira) is a beautiful modern city and much larger.
The countryside is similar , however Madeira has beautiful resorts and much more of a place to vacation. No comparison, other than both have pretty countryside. Madeira much more prosperous and a favorite port for us.
Pennsylvania
588 Posts
Joined Nov 2009
Tom and I arranged a 6.5 hour tour of the western side of Madeira. Cost will be 30 euros for the tour with an additional 12 euros for lunch. The west part of Madeira is very mountainous with views of the sea and is said to be extremely beautiful. We can customize this tour if there are places we want to see other than the suggested itinerary. Tom has been working with this tour agent for our trip on the Ruby in April. Tom will be cecking tyhings out for bis guides. It generally follows the description of the west country full day tour found on www.MadeiraIsland Tours.com. Lunch is three courses with chicken, beef, fish or vegetarian menu. We have room for four more people. Contact me at [email protected].