Traveling with an iPhone or iPad

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:25 PM.
#1
Burlington, VT
6,905 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Hello fellow users of iOS devices...

In response to suggestions for an onboard gathering in order to discuss traveling with iPhones and iPads, I suggest that rather than waiting until we're all onboard we begin now so everyone will be up to speed sooner rather than later. Why wait to become proficient with our devices when we can do so beginning today?

So if you have questions or suggestions, post them here. I'll begin by reposting information about two apps I use everyday...not just for traveling...in the following post.

As a point of information, I have an iPhone 4, Nan has an original iPad and we each have MacBook Pros. When submitting questions to participants of this thread it may be helpful if we know which device and model you're using. This isn't limited to just Mac user...Windows users are welcome also.

Lew
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


XXRoll Calls - 2017: Royal - October 11, 2017 • Royal - October 21, 2015
XXRoll Calls - 2018: Royal - Jan 19, 2018 • Royal - Jan 29, 2018 • Royal - Feb 8, 2018 • Regal - Sep 8, 2018
XXRoll Calls - 2019: Reflection - January 18, 2019 • Reflection - January 28, 2019 • Golden - Apr 16, 2019
#2
Burlington, VT
6,905 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Here are two apps I use all the time. I mention them here because I find them invaluable for travel.

Evernote works on iOS devices and computers and it's free. It allows you to capture documents and will sync to your other devices. I find it wonderful for filing trip confirmations, etc. so that I don't have to print everything.

Dropbox is free and works on computers and iOS devices. Installing the program on your computer will create sub-folders...just drag documents to Dropbox and they will sync with the Dropbox app on your iPhone and iPad. Again, it's a great way to have documents with you without having to print everything.

Both Evernote and Dropbox are great ways to have a copy of your passport, drivers license, confirmations and other travel docs with you at all times. You can set up both apps so can view your documents without having to turn data access on and incur charges while traveling in Europe.

Both of the above links will bring you to the app's website where you can learn about them before downloading and installing. For the free iOS apps you'll need to go to the iTunes app store or your smart phone's app store.

If you decide to use Dropbox or Evernote, you'll need to open the app on your iOS device in order to let it synch before you head to Europe to be sure all the latest data is on your device.

Be sure to go into settings on each app to set how much space (Dropbox) you want to devote to data, or which notebooks (Evernote) you want to reside on your device.

Lew
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


XXRoll Calls - 2017: Royal - October 11, 2017 • Royal - October 21, 2015
XXRoll Calls - 2018: Royal - Jan 19, 2018 • Royal - Jan 29, 2018 • Royal - Feb 8, 2018 • Regal - Sep 8, 2018
XXRoll Calls - 2019: Reflection - January 18, 2019 • Reflection - January 28, 2019 • Golden - Apr 16, 2019
#3
Burlington, VT
6,905 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
A few more app suggestions...

Tripit (FREE) will automatically convert confirmations you forward to their web site into an itinerary that you can view on their app. You can print your itinerary from their web page and then send it to those who need to know.

Navigon Europe (NOT FREE) is an absolute lifesaver if you do any amount of driving anywhere in Europe. It's a GPS navigation app that contains all the map data it needs so you do not need to keep data access turned on. It's not cheap, but it works! There are frequent map updates if you subscribe to that service. It's works great for finding your way while walking also...think of walking Rome, Paris, London or any location in Europe without a map! Navigon has apps for a number of different locations.

If you do decide to purchase any navigation app, I suggest you take a look at the Arkon Windshield/Dashboard Mount for All iPhone Models. You should also own a car charger so you can keep your iPhone charged on long drives.

Lew
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


XXRoll Calls - 2017: Royal - October 11, 2017 • Royal - October 21, 2015
XXRoll Calls - 2018: Royal - Jan 19, 2018 • Royal - Jan 29, 2018 • Royal - Feb 8, 2018 • Regal - Sep 8, 2018
XXRoll Calls - 2019: Reflection - January 18, 2019 • Reflection - January 28, 2019 • Golden - Apr 16, 2019
#4
Vancouver, BC
17,685 Posts
Joined Feb 2002
I would recommend downloading AppShopper, which is a free app and lets you know when apps are on sale or free. I tried the free version of Tripit for a while, but without the pay version, it doesn't alert you to flight changes. I've switched to Worldmate Gold which has been as high as $14.99 - I bought it last year for .99 cents.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Coming next
September 2017..Solstice Vancouver to Hawaii
November 2017...Queensland Land Trip
April 2018...Kauai Land Trip
September 2018...Santorini & Crete land trip

Crete Land Trip 2017/Australia Land Trip - Celebrity Constellation - Greek Isles 2016/Hawaii Land Trip 2015/Christmas and New Years in Hawaii/European Christmas Markets - Land Trip/Hawaii - VCR Celebrity Solstice 2014/Paris Land Trip/Hawaii Land Trip X 2 - 2013/Grand Med. - Ruby Princess/South of France 2012/Hawaii - Land Trip 2012/Hawaii - Land Trip - 2011/Panama Canal and Florida Keys - Coral Princess - 2011/Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - 2010/France 3 Week Land Trip - Burgundy/Loire/Normandy/French Riviera/Provence 2010/Mexican Riviera - Sapphire Princess 2009/Coastal - Sapphire Princess 2009/Alaska - Voyage of the Glaciers - Zuiderdam - 2009/Greek Islands cruise + Monaco and Paris by land - Grand Princess - 2008/Land Trip - Maui - 2008/3 Week Land - Paris to Rome - 2007/Hawaii - Pride of America - 2007/14 Day Caribbean - Sea Princess - 2006/Coastal - Dawn Princess - 2006/Barcelona to Venice - Millennium - 2005/UK & Ireland - Land Trip - 2004/AI Mexican Riviera -2003/Coastal - Island Princess - 2002/Maui - Land Trip x 2/Alaska - Dawn Princess - 2001/UK Land Trip x 3/11 Day Circle the Caribbean - Splendour of the Seas - 2000/Mexican Riviera - Rhapsody of the Seas - 1999/2 Week Land Bermuda - Girls Trip - 1997/Married - Maui - 1997
#5
Burlington, VT
6,905 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
How do you keep your iOS devises charged while traveling?

I take my Belkin Mini Surge Protector Dual USB Charger with me whenever I travel. It's small and has two USB charging ports and three A/C receptacles. It works onboard ship and in your hotel before or after your cruise with the proper adapter.

It's not a quick charger, especially if you have all your devices plugged in at the same time, but will do the job overnight so everything will be fully charged in the morning.

Lew
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


XXRoll Calls - 2017: Royal - October 11, 2017 • Royal - October 21, 2015
XXRoll Calls - 2018: Royal - Jan 19, 2018 • Royal - Jan 29, 2018 • Royal - Feb 8, 2018 • Regal - Sep 8, 2018
XXRoll Calls - 2019: Reflection - January 18, 2019 • Reflection - January 28, 2019 • Golden - Apr 16, 2019
#6
Burlington, VT
6,905 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Originally posted by Cruise Junky

I tried the free version of Tripit for a while, but without the pay version, it doesn't alert you to flight changes. I've switched to Worldmate Gold which has been as high as $14.99 - I bought it last year for .99 cents.
You're right about the free version of Tripit. I've tried a number of apps, both free and paid, for use while traveling by air and have settled on these:

TravelTracker Pro

Flight Update Pro

FlightBoard

The first two interface with Tripit and will download your itinerary or flight info. Flight Update will warn of delays, gate changes, etc.

FlightBoard will show you the actual arrivals and departures board of just about any airport.

Lew
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


XXRoll Calls - 2017: Royal - October 11, 2017 • Royal - October 21, 2015
XXRoll Calls - 2018: Royal - Jan 19, 2018 • Royal - Jan 29, 2018 • Royal - Feb 8, 2018 • Regal - Sep 8, 2018
XXRoll Calls - 2019: Reflection - January 18, 2019 • Reflection - January 28, 2019 • Golden - Apr 16, 2019
#7
Burlington, VT
6,905 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Here's a link to a list of some travel apps of interest on the SeatGuru web site. SeatGuru also has its own app.

Some other trip planning apps:

Kayak is a great place to start looking for flights, hotels, car rental, etc.

ITA OnTheFly They also have a fantastic flight search site here.

Need to learn whether you can take something onboard an aircraft? Here's the My TSA app.

Lew
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


XXRoll Calls - 2017: Royal - October 11, 2017 • Royal - October 21, 2015
XXRoll Calls - 2018: Royal - Jan 19, 2018 • Royal - Jan 29, 2018 • Royal - Feb 8, 2018 • Regal - Sep 8, 2018
XXRoll Calls - 2019: Reflection - January 18, 2019 • Reflection - January 28, 2019 • Golden - Apr 16, 2019
#8
Central Florida
1,706 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
Originally posted by -Lew-
Here are two apps I use all the time. I mention them here because I find them invaluable for travel.

Evernote works on iOS devices and computers and it's free. It allows you to capture documents and will sync to your other devices. I find it wonderful for filing trip confirmations, etc. so that I don't have to print everything.

Dropbox is free and works on computers and iOS devices. Installing the program on your computer will create sub-folders...just drag documents to Dropbox and they will sync with the Dropbox app on your iPhone and iPad. Again, it's a great way to have documents with you without having to print everything.

Both Evernote and Dropbox are great ways to have a copy of your passport, drivers license, confirmations and other travel docs with you at all times. You can set up both apps so can view your documents without having to turn data access on and incur charges while traveling in Europe.

Both of the above links will bring you to the app's website where you can learn about them before downloading and installing. For the free iOS apps you'll need to go to the iTunes app store or your smart phone's app store.

If you decide to use Dropbox or Evernote, you'll need to open the app on your iOS device in order to let it synch before you head to Europe to be sure all the latest data is on your device.

Be sure to go into settings on each app to set how much space (Dropbox) you want to devote to data, or which notebooks (Evernote) you want to reside on your device.

Lew
Thanks for the tip Lew. I downloaded dropbox to my computer and Android phone and it works beautifully.
#9
Central Florida
1,706 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
Originally posted by -Lew-
How do you keep your iOS devises charged while traveling?

I take my Belkin Mini Surge Protector Dual USB Charger with me whenever I travel. It's small and has two USB charging ports and three A/C receptacles. It works onboard ship and in your hotel before or after your cruise with the proper adapter.

It's not a quick charger, especially if you have all your devices plugged in at the same time, but will do the job overnight so everything will be fully charged in the morning.

Lew

Last year we ran into a travel surge protector strip that was not dual voltage. Some people had problems with it in countries with 220 volts if they just used the ordinary US 2 prong to European 2 pin adapter. It shorted out the hotel lines and sometimes damaged equipment. Do you use a voltage converter with your Bilkin in Europe?
#10
Burlington, VT
6,905 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
E
Originally posted by carib

Do you use a voltage converter with your Bilkin in Europe?
No, I haven't needed to since all of our electronic devices are dual voltage. I've used the Beklin in England, France, Spain and Italy along with the proper plug converter with no issues at all.

Lew
-----
Posted from my iPhone
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


XXRoll Calls - 2017: Royal - October 11, 2017 • Royal - October 21, 2015
XXRoll Calls - 2018: Royal - Jan 19, 2018 • Royal - Jan 29, 2018 • Royal - Feb 8, 2018 • Regal - Sep 8, 2018
XXRoll Calls - 2019: Reflection - January 18, 2019 • Reflection - January 28, 2019 • Golden - Apr 16, 2019
#11
San Pedro, CA
1,791 Posts
Joined Jun 2008
Lew - this thread is a brilliant idea. I've had the IPad 2now for over a year & realize I don't use it or know how to use it to it's full capacity.

It has worked well while aboard the Ruby on my 2 recent Ruby trips. I was able to connect easily to their WiFi (when available)!

I have very few apps on it so I welcome your new suggestions. Thank you again.

Judy
#12
Palmdale, Ca
33,441 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Originally posted by -Lew-
Here's a link to a list of some travel apps of interest on the SeatGuru web site. SeatGuru also has its own app.

Some other trip planning apps:

Kayak is a great place to start looking for flights, hotels, car rental, etc.

ITA OnTheFly They also have a fantastic flight search site here.

Need to learn whether you can take something onboard an aircraft? Here's the My TSA app.

Lew
Lew;

This is so cool. I didn't know Seat Guru had an app. I absolutely love Seat Guru.....


Bob
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Future: Star Princess Hawaii R/T From LA 11/18
Future: Emerald Princess Alaska R/T From from Los Angeles 04/18
Pacific Princess Panama Canal Cruise 05/17 - 17 Days
Caribbean Princess Iceland/Norway T/A 09/16 - 17 Days **First Princess Elite Cruise**
Caribbean Princess Iceland/Norway T/A 09/15 - 16 Days
Golden Princess West Coast Getaway 04/15 - 3 Days
Royal Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/13 - 18 Days Inaugural T/A Crossing
Sapphire Princess Hawaii R/T From LA 03/13 - 14 Days
Ruby Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/11 - 18 Days
Golden Princess Hawaii R/T From LA 02/11 - 14 Days
Ruby Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/09 - 18 Days
Diamond Princess AUS/NZ 01/09 - 12 Days
Emerald Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/08 - 18 Days
Celebrity Constellation British Isles/Norway 07/06 - 14 Days
Celebrity Summit Alaska Repo 05/05 - 14 Days
Celebrity Summit Panama Canal 10/02 - 14 Days
RCCL Rhapsody OTS Alaska 09/01 - 7 Days
RCCL Splendour OTS Baltic/Northern Europe 09/99 - 12 Days
HAL Veendam Eastern Caribbean 07/96 - 7 Days
Carnival Holiday Western Caribbean 07/93 - 7 Days

240 Days At Sea: 167 Days Princess , 42 Days Celebrity. 19 Days RCCL, 7 Days HAL, 7 Days Carnival.....

My Cruise Pictures on Flickr

Roll Call Thread

Roll Call Thread
#13
Burlington, VT
6,905 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Originally posted by Woobstr112G

This is so cool. I didn't know Seat Guru had an app. I absolutely love Seat Guru...
Bob...

Another site like SeatGuru in SeatExpert. They don't have an app, but you can create a home screen icon if you'd like to have it handy.

When I recently purchased my flights for this year's Ruby TA, SeatGuru provided an incorrect airplane seat diagram so I resorted to SearExpert who did have the correct one.

I agree, SeatGuru is a great site. This is the first time I've had an issue with it.

Lew
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


XXRoll Calls - 2017: Royal - October 11, 2017 • Royal - October 21, 2015
XXRoll Calls - 2018: Royal - Jan 19, 2018 • Royal - Jan 29, 2018 • Royal - Feb 8, 2018 • Regal - Sep 8, 2018
XXRoll Calls - 2019: Reflection - January 18, 2019 • Reflection - January 28, 2019 • Golden - Apr 16, 2019
#14
Sacramento, CA
1,631 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
Originally posted by -Lew-
Bob...

Another site like SeatGuru in SeatExpert. They don't have an app, but you can create a home screen icon if you'd like to have it handy.

When I recently purchased my flights for this year's Ruby TA, SeatGuru provided an incorrect airplane seat diagram so I resorted to SearExpert who did have the correct one.

I agree, SeatGuru is a great site. This is the first time I've had an issue with it.

Lew

Lew, I have another iPad question. I just bought the eye-fi for my original iPad to help me load pics from my camera when on vacation, as last year I bought the iPad connectors but even when I connected it to my iPad, it wouldn't download the pics from camera to iPad. I then used my husband's iPad2 and it downloaded without a problem.

So now I bought the eye-fi and when I tried to download it using my apple connection to my iPad this wouldn't load either. It did say to connect directly to iPad, but there is no square hole on my iPad that I could use to do that. So I went into applications in itunes on my iPad and downloaded the app, but there was no where to put in a new login, etc. for this app.

Now when trying to access eye-fi on my iPad, I can't login as I don't have a username or password and there is no where to add my login information...confusing.... Would it be a better idea to load the eye-fi app onto our computer- a Dell and then I will be able to access it with my iPad? .... Thanks, Claudia
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once!
#15
Eastern Virginia
6,086 Posts
Joined Feb 2001
Originally posted by Kennykat
Lew, I have another iPad question. I just bought the eye-fi for my original iPad to help me load pics from my camera when on vacation, as last year I bought the iPad connectors but even when I connected it to my iPad, it wouldn't download the pics from camera to iPad. I then used my husband's iPad2 and it downloaded without a problem.

So now I bought the eye-fi and when I tried to download it using my apple connection to my iPad this wouldn't load either. It did say to connect directly to iPad, but there is no square hole on my iPad that I could use to do that. So I went into applications in itunes on my iPad and downloaded the app, but there was no where to put in a new login, etc. for this app.

Now when trying to access eye-fi on my iPad, I can't login as I don't have a username or password and there is no where to add my login information...confusing.... Would it be a better idea to load the eye-fi app onto our computer- a Dell and then I will be able to access it with my iPad? .... Thanks, Claudia
Claudia, my daughter loaded the eye-fi app on myMacBookPro, iPhone4 and original iPad when I got the card. There was a setting for each device to turn it on or off. I chose to have it off on all but the Mack Book because I didn't want every picture I took to go automatically to all 3 devices. I don't have my camera with me (I'm visiting her) but I'll be seeing her in the morning before I go home and I'll ask her about the problem you're having and see if she can provide some insight. I'll let you know once I get home tomorrow evening.

BTW, she uses Evernote and Dropbox all the time and thinks they are great too.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#16
Sacramento, CA
1,631 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
Originally posted by Sunviking
Claudia, my daughter loaded the eye-fi app on myMacBookPro, iPhone4 and original iPad when I got the card. There was a setting for each device to turn it on or off. I chose to have it off on all but the Mack Book because I didn't want every picture I took to go automatically to all 3 devices. I don't have my camera with me (I'm visiting her) but I'll be seeing her in the morning before I go home and I'll ask her about the problem you're having and see if she can provide some insight. I'll let you know once I get home tomorrow evening.

BTW, she uses Evernote and Dropbox all the time and thinks they are great too.
Ann thanks so much! I am sure it is something i am not doing correctly....wish I knew more about the iPad.....thanks again....c
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once!
#17
1,097 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
Originally posted by -Lew-
How do you keep your iOS devises charged while traveling?

I take my Belkin Mini Surge Protector Dual USB Charger with me whenever I travel. It's small and has two USB charging ports and three A/C receptacles. It works onboard ship and in your hotel before or after your cruise with the proper adapter.

It's not a quick charger, especially if you have all your devices plugged in at the same time, but will do the job overnight so everything will be fully charged in the morning.

Lew

I just bought this from Amazon and was going to send it back. I don't understand a lot about electricity, but it looked to me like it couldn't be used in Europe without a converter. I've also ordered an adapter, but I don't want to buy a converter because everything I'd be charging is dual voltage. So, have you used this in Europe without a converter?
#18
1,097 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
Originally posted by -Lew-
Here are two apps I use all the time. I mention them here because I find them invaluable for travel.

Evernote works on iOS devices and computers and it's free. It allows you to capture documents and will sync to your other devices. I find it wonderful for filing trip confirmations, etc. so that I don't have to print everything.

Dropbox is free and works on computers and iOS devices. Installing the program on your computer will create sub-folders...just drag documents to Dropbox and they will sync with the Dropbox app on your iPhone and iPad. Again, it's a great way to have documents with you without having to print everything.

Both Evernote and Dropbox are great ways to have a copy of your passport, drivers license, confirmations and other travel docs with you at all times. You can set up both apps so can view your documents without having to turn data access on and incur charges while traveling in Europe.

Both of the above links will bring you to the app's website where you can learn about them before downloading and installing. For the free iOS apps you'll need to go to the iTunes app store or your smart phone's app store.

If you decide to use Dropbox or Evernote, you'll need to open the app on your iOS device in order to let it synch before you head to Europe to be sure all the latest data is on your device.

Be sure to go into settings on each app to set how much space (Dropbox) you want to devote to data, or which notebooks (Evernote) you want to reside on your device.

Lew
Lew, thank you for the information about Dropbox. I had it on my computer at my nephew's request for pictures, but I hadn't done anything with it. You're idea of being able to keep trip information on the computer and iPod motivated me to add it to my iPod Touch. Now I can see folders I have future cruise information in. I'm on the Caribbean in June and then the Ruby and Royal transatlantics in 2012 and 2013 plus the Emerald next February. Now I have all that information at my fingertips. Thank you for posting this.

I have an iPod Touch (no iPhone) and I'm planning on buying an iPad probably this week. So I'll probably be back here with lots of questions.

First question - How do you set up the folders so you can access your information off line?

Thank you!

Karen
#19
Burlington, VT
6,905 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Originally posted by Kennykat

Lew, I have another iPad question. I just bought the eye-fi for my original iPad to help me load pics from my camera when on vacation, as last year I bought the iPad connectors but even when I connected it to my iPad, it wouldn't download the pics from camera to iPad. I then used my husband's iPad2 and it downloaded without a problem.

So now I bought the eye-fi and when I tried to download it using my apple connection to my iPad this wouldn't load either. It did say to connect directly to iPad, but there is no square hole on my iPad that I could use to do that. So I went into applications in itunes on my iPad and downloaded the app, but there was no where to put in a new login, etc. for this app.

Now when trying to access eye-fi on my iPad, I can't login as I don't have a username or password and there is no where to add my login information...confusing.... Would it be a better idea to load the eye-fi app onto our computer- a Dell and then I will be able to access it with my iPad? .... Thanks, Claudia
Claudia...

I'm so happy Ann jumped in to offer her help because, other than knowing what Eye-Fi is and is supposed to do, I know absolutely nothing about it. I did, however, find some help on the Eye-Fi web site that may be of use to you. Follow this link to their support site where they appear to have multiple support options including speaking with a live person.

You may want to be sure you have the latest version of iOS (5.1) on your iPad. Also, Eye-Fi's latest version is 2.0.90.

With respect to using the iPad Camera Connection Kit, follow this link for support information on the Apple site.

If, after hearing back from Ann and following the above links, you're still having issues, please re-post and we'll do our best to get to the bottom of this issue for you.

Lew
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


XXRoll Calls - 2017: Royal - October 11, 2017 • Royal - October 21, 2015
XXRoll Calls - 2018: Royal - Jan 19, 2018 • Royal - Jan 29, 2018 • Royal - Feb 8, 2018 • Regal - Sep 8, 2018
XXRoll Calls - 2019: Reflection - January 18, 2019 • Reflection - January 28, 2019 • Golden - Apr 16, 2019
#20
Burlington, VT
6,905 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Originally posted by Sea Day Cruiser

I just bought this from Amazon and was going to send it back. I don't understand a lot about electricity, but it looked to me like it couldn't be used in Europe without a converter. I've also ordered an adapter, but I don't want to buy a converter because everything I'd be charging is dual voltage. So, have you used this in Europe without a converter?
Defining the terms converter and adapter with respect to electric power in Europe would help.
Power converter:
Foreign electricity (220V/440V) is different from standard use U.S. electricity (110V/120V). To use your 110V/120V travel appliances or charge single voltage 110V/120V electronics overseas, you must use a converter to reduce foreign electricity. Using the foreign travel converter is simple. Just plug it into a foreign wall outlet, then plug your appliance into the female side of the converter and use your appliance as you would at home.
Plug Adapter:
A plug adapter is used to adapt the female electric receptacle configuration in a foreign country to one that can be used by an American appliance. An adapter has no effect on the voltage at all. Here is an example of various plug adapters...
Now, to answer your specific question... Yes, I have used the Belkin Mini Surge Protector Dual USB Charger without a converter. However, I have had to use a plug adapter between the wall outlet and the Belkin device.

Incidentally, since we're talking plug adapters, the All-in-One Travel Power Plug Adapter for US, UK, EU, AU is like the one we use which has worked very well for us...
Lew
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


XXRoll Calls - 2017: Royal - October 11, 2017 • Royal - October 21, 2015
XXRoll Calls - 2018: Royal - Jan 19, 2018 • Royal - Jan 29, 2018 • Royal - Feb 8, 2018 • Regal - Sep 8, 2018
XXRoll Calls - 2019: Reflection - January 18, 2019 • Reflection - January 28, 2019 • Golden - Apr 16, 2019