Traveling with an iPhone or iPad

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:05 PM.
Rancho Mirage, Ca.
252 Posts
Joined Jun 2005
I have the iPhone 6+, and I love it, it will even fit in the front pocket of my skinny jeans. I find the battery is extra long-lasting. you can go a few days without a recharge, and it does everything that I want to do.
Aliso Viejo, CA
41,793 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
Originally posted by smilin jack
I have the iPhone 6+, and I love it, it will even fit in the front pocket of my skinny jeans. I find the battery is extra long-lasting. you can go a few days without a recharge, and it does everything that I want to do.
Lucky dog! I was away when the new iPhones were announced and pre-orders started but when I got home a week ago, I was able to snag the last iPhone 6 at the store. After using it for a few days, I decided to return it and order the 6+. Now I have to wait until mid-November. In the meantime, my 5 feels clunky, slow and "old" in comparison to the 6. Just 5-6 weeks to go!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
-- Pam Email (to be my friend on Facebook, email me. ) PLEASE identify yourself with your Cruise Critic name.

Boston. Strong.

* Me ziplining across Victoria Falls: https://plus.google.com/photos/10147...83463276981969
* Safari photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/1014740...eat=directlink

Upcoming:
Island Princess -- 19-day Partial Panama Canal 11/16/16
Ruby Princess -- 6-day Wine Country Coastal 4/29/17
Emerald Princess -- 12-day round-trip LA <> Alaska 4/27/18
Burlington, VT
6,904 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Originally posted by Pam in CA

I was away when the new iPhones were announced and pre-orders started but when I got home a week ago, I was able to snag the last iPhone 6 at the store. After using it for a few days, I decided to return it and order the 6+. Now I have to wait until mid-November. In the meantime, my 5 feels clunky, slow and "old" in comparison to the 6. Just 5-6 weeks to go!
If you cruise, you lose, Pam…. Can't be on the high seas when pre-orders start!

I can understand you liking the 6+, but for me the 6 is perfect. I picked mine up at the AT&T Store the first day and haven't thought twice about my decision. Either way, their great iPhones.

Lew
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

XXRoll Calls - 2017: Royal - October 11, 2017Royal - October 21, 2015
XXRoll Calls - 2018: Royal - Jan 19, 2018Royal - Jan 29, 2018Royal - Feb 8, 2018Regal - Sep 8, 2018
XXRoll Calls - 2019: Reflection - January 18, 2019 Reflection - January 28, 2019 Golden - Apr 16, 2019
Aliso Viejo, CA
41,793 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
Lew, I was torn between the two but after using the 6 for several days, I realized that I use it less as a phone and more as an electronic device. The larger phone has a bigger screen making it easier to read and write.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
-- Pam Email (to be my friend on Facebook, email me. ) PLEASE identify yourself with your Cruise Critic name.

Boston. Strong.

* Me ziplining across Victoria Falls: https://plus.google.com/photos/10147...83463276981969

Upcoming:
Burlington, VT
6,904 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Originally posted by Pam in CA

Lew, I was torn between the two but after using the 6 for several days, I realized that I use it less as a phone and more as an electronic device. The larger phone has a bigger screen making it easier to read and write.
I hear you loud and clear, Pam. It doesn't surprise me at all that you've decided to go with the 6+. I know you'll enjoy it.

Lew
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

XXRoll Calls - 2018: Royal - Jan 19, 2018Royal - Jan 29, 2018Royal - Feb 8, 2018Regal - Sep 8, 2018
XXRoll Calls - 2019: Reflection - January 18, 2019 Reflection - January 28, 2019 Golden - Apr 16, 2019
Burlington, VT
6,904 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Is anyone still monitoring this thread? If so, I'd like to tell you about KnowRoaming.

After learning about KnowRoaming in this article and doing a lot of research I ordered two for our iPhone 6s. I mentioning it here because I feel it's the answer to being able to use our iPhones while traveling internationally at a reasonable cost.

Here's a link to the KnowRoaming website. Google KnowRoaming for independent reviews.

See the info I copied from the KnowRoaming website below.

Lew
KnowRoaming supports unlocked GSM phones and tablets:
Android running 4.0 and newer
iPhone 4S and newer
Windows Phones
iPads
Android Tablets
KnowRoaming does not currently support:
CDMA devices (Verizon or Sprint in the USA.) Contact [email protected] if you would like to sign up for our CDMA beta test.
BlackBerry
Blackphone
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Aliso Viejo, CA
41,793 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
Lew, yes, I'll still monitoring. This looks like a great option. I need to do more research. Thanks for the info!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Boston. Strong.

Upcoming:
686 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Thanks for the info, Lew. Our carrier is Verizon and unfortunately not supported by KnowRoaming. I'll keep monitoring the KnowRoaming website. Verizon may be added at some point. (Wishful thinking)

Jan
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming Cruises:
Emerald Princess - Hawaii & South Pacific (Tahiti Repeatee) - October 8, 2017
Caribbean Princess - Panama Canal (New Locks) - February 16, 2018

Emerald Princess - Hawaii & South Pacific (Tahiti Repeatee) - October 23, 2018

Burlington, VT
6,904 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Originally posted by I object 2

Thanks for the info, Lew. Our carrier is Verizon and unfortunately not supported by KnowRoaming. I'll keep monitoring the KnowRoaming website. Verizon may be added at some point. (Wishful thinking)

Jan
Hi Jan...

Somewhere on the KnowRoaming website there is mention that they are beta testing the service with CDMA phones. Verizon's network is CDMA, so they are working on it.

Lew
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

686 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Originally posted by -Lew-
Hi Jan...

Somewhere on the KnowRoaming website there is mention that they are beta testing the service with CDMA phones. Verizon's network is CDMA, so they are working on it.

Lew
There might be hope for Verizon after all.

Jan
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming Cruises:
Emerald Princess - Hawaii & South Pacific (Tahiti Repeatee) - October 8, 2017
Caribbean Princess - Panama Canal (New Locks) - February 16, 2018

Emerald Princess - Hawaii & South Pacific (Tahiti Repeatee) - October 23, 2018

Burlington, VT
6,904 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Hello to anyone who might still be subscribed to this thread. I posted the text below on the Princess board in response to a question and I thought I'd make it available here for anyone who might be interested. Some favorite apps we discussed here just a few years ago have been replaced while others are still going strong.

Below are a few iOS apps I find essential for travel abroad. Many are available for Android also...

HERE...For online and offline navigation:
HERE is a great GPS Maps app. You can download the maps you’ll need before you leave and then use the app in offline mode so you don’t use cellular data. Put your app in offline mode, your iPhone in Airplane mode and you’re good to go.

Set up an account at HERE.com. Save favorite locations to Collections…hotel, Vatican, Pantheon, restaurants, etc….then login on the iPhone app and your locations will sync to your iPhone. Great app!!
WhatsApp Messenger:
NancyR2 introduced me to WhatsApp Messenger. It will allow you to make phone calls and text over Wi-Fi for free to others who have the app. I haven’t used it in Europe yet, but I’ve been told it works great. Be sure people back home install the app also.
Rick Steves' Audio Europe:
Is this the one you use? Download audio tours to your iPhone after you install the app. Excellent audio tours allow you to explore and learn about various important sites on your own…no need for a guide. Be sure you have your earbuds with you.
MetrO:
Rome and Barcelona both have subway service. Be sure to download the data for whatever city you're visiting before you leave home. We used it extensively in Paris a few years ago...fantastic app!
Citymapper:
Citymapper works a lot like HERE in that it has a website where you can enter favorite locations and then sync them over to your iPhone. It’ll get you from point A to B using walking, public transportation and taxis…or a combination.. Unfortunately, full use requires a data connection for accurate bus schedules, etc. However, you could map your route at the hotel before you leave using Wi-Fi then take a screen shot to refer to after you leave.
Google Translate:
Google Translate now does translation offline. Be sure to download the language data files you'll need before you leave for Europe.
TextGrabber:
TextGrabber is another very good translation app. I got it when it was free...I believe there is a nominal charge for it now.
Uber:
I know Uber operates in many European cities...but not Barcelona. If you use the app in North America, you should have it available to use in Europe.
FlightView / Tripit:
I use both FlightView and Tripit for flight tracking. Both have websites for syncing flight info with their app on your phone. FlightView does a much better job with tracking and notifying you of flight changes; Tripit also handles hotels, transfers, tours or anything else you might want to input.

With both apps you can forward your flight itinerary from the airline to them and the data will automatically be input into the app once you sync.
Evernote:
I couldn't function without Evernote. I use it for storing all kinds of documents, but it really shines for travel documents...confirmations, itineraries, etc. Evernote will work on all computers and devices and keep everything in sync everywhere.

It's free with limited syncing and very reasonable for unlimited syncing.
A word about using GPS apps on an iPhone. I have an iPhone 6 on which GPS functions properly when in Airplane Mode. With some older iPhones GPS will not work when in airplane Mode. If you're planning to use GPS apps on an iPhone, try it out before leaving home. Put your iPhone in Airplane Mode then trying using your apps.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Aliso Viejo, CA
41,793 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
Thanks, Lew!

I use an app called "FlightBoard" that is exactly like looking at the flight board you see at the airport with arrival/departure times, delays, gate changes, etc. It coordinates with "Flight Track" (a separate app) to view the location, height and minutes left to arrival (for arriving flights.) I've had flights change gates at the last minute too many times and this app has been great.

Another app I love is MarineTraffic which shows you exactly where your ship is, speed, direction, itinerary, etc.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Boston. Strong.

Upcoming:
971 Posts
Joined Jun 2015
Apps I love:

iCatcher for downloading and playing podcasts (nice for standing in long lines).

OneNote (I've switched to it rather than EverNote).

VoiceDream -- text to speech program that will "read" documents, web pages, etc.,

SimplyNoise -- free white noise app. (Brown noise is actually the best.)
Beaufort, SC
184 Posts
Joined Jul 2011
Thanks Lew,

I agree that Evernote is invaluable for a place to retain all your travel documents. I am able to sync all my documents and note between different platforms.

Another GPS app that I have used Is Galileo Pro. You download the country of interest and then can use the offline feature.

Don
Burlington, VT
6,904 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
I'm in Rome for a few days prior to a cruise and am happy to report that two apps new to me are really working well. Whatsapp and HERE are performing as advertised. I can wholeheartedly recommend both.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature