Welcome To Viking Oceans !

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Viking Ocean
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:49 PM.
Nottingham, England
2,141 Posts
Joined Sep 2009
The opportunity to travel is just awesome, I'm sure I was a gypsy in a former life!

I can see a Western Med itinerary in our future in 2015 so the Med Odyssey looks good but I am a bit obsessed with the Eastern Med and seem to need a regular fix of going there and we are a big fan of Istanbul too!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
COMING UP!!!

MSC MERAVIGLIA - JULY 2017

SAILED!

Britannia - P&O Cruises - Mini Cruise to Bruges - May 2017 - 2 nights - (Superior Deluxe Balcony)
REVIEW - http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2502268
Celebrity Reflection - Miami to Puerto Rico, St Thomas & St Maarten - April 2016 - 7 nights - (Aqua Class Hump Balcony)
REVIEW - http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/sho....php?t=2334071

NCL Escape - NCL - Inaugural Cruise from Hamburg to Southampton - Oct 2015 - 3 nights - (Spa Mini Suite Balcony)
REVIEW - Still not finished - sorry!

Britannia - P&O Cruises - Norwegian Fjords - June 2015 - 7nights - (Superior Deluxe Balcony)
REVIEW! http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/sho....php?t=2230373

Azamara Quest - Azamara Club Cruises - Cruise to the Greek Islands and Turkey - June 2014
7 nights (Balcony)

REVIEW!
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2063572

Norwegian Jade - NCL - Eastern Med from Rome - March 2013 - 10 nights (Mini Suite Balcony)
REVIEW!
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...hlight=kikki21

Norwegian Epic - NCL - Hurricane Earl West/East
Caribbean special from Miami - August 2010 - 7 nights (Balcony)
Splendour of the Seas - RCCL - Eastern Med from Venice - October 2009 - 7 nights (Outside)
Celebrity Galaxy - Celebrity - Eastern Med from Rome - October 2008 - 10 nights (Concierge Class Balcony)
Majesty of the Seas - RCCL - Bahamas from Miami - Nov 2007 - 4 nights (Outside)
New Jersey
3,713 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
Hi Everyone! Just wanted to drop by and say hello. Looking forward to seeing you in this forum!
~Chrystal
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
~Chrystal
Email Me Friend Me on FB (Please message me your screen name on CC)

Previous Cruises:
NCL Norwegian Crown-NYC to Bermuda (2006)
RCI Adventure S. Caribbean-Barbados Route (2009)

Complete Photo Reviews:
RCI Serenade S. Caribbean-Barbados Route (2010)
l Carnival Glory from Norfolk-Bahamas (2011) l RCI Serenade S. Caribbean-Aruba Route (2011) l RCI Liberty to Cozumel (2012) l Fort Lauderdale Pre-and-Post-Cruise l RCI Allure W. Caribbean-Babymoon (2012) l RCI Liberty to Cozumel-Baby's First Cruise (2014)

Up Next:
Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas, November 2016
Excellence Playa Mujeres, Mexico, March 2017 (Girls' Trip)
Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas, March 2017
Rome and Tuscany Land Tour, August 2017
Royal Caribbean Anthem of the Seas, August 2017
Excellence Playa Mujeres, Mexico, October 2017 (Couples' Trip)
Royal Caribbean Harmony of the Seas, January 2018

Travel Blog

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
~Mark Twain

Southern California
214 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
What do you think the average age will be on the ship? We did a Oceania cruise to the Med and loved it but the shore excursions were with some older folks with walking difficulties. We have also done a river boat trip in Europe but the average age was younger. I am wondering how the excursions will be handled with the passengers? We are considering the Baltic in May or July.
Sydney, Australia
88 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Thanks Wes,

I will let you know if we are going to book & maybe I can be your next referral.

Caroline
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Azamara Quest 12-28-2013
Oceania Riviera 1-23-2013
Seabourn Pride 1-3-2012
Azamara Journey 5-1-2011
Crystal Serenity 4-29-2010
Azamara Quest 7-26-2009
:Windsurf 2007
Nottingham, England
2,141 Posts
Joined Sep 2009
I showed the Mr the new ship and he liked it a lot.... waiting for that UK website to launch!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
COMING UP!!!

MSC MERAVIGLIA - JULY 2017

SAILED!

Britannia - P&O Cruises - Mini Cruise to Bruges - May 2017 - 2 nights - (Superior Deluxe Balcony)
REVIEW - http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2502268
Celebrity Reflection - Miami to Puerto Rico, St Thomas & St Maarten - April 2016 - 7 nights - (Aqua Class Hump Balcony)
REVIEW - http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/sho....php?t=2334071

NCL Escape - NCL - Inaugural Cruise from Hamburg to Southampton - Oct 2015 - 3 nights - (Spa Mini Suite Balcony)
REVIEW - Still not finished - sorry!

Britannia - P&O Cruises - Norwegian Fjords - June 2015 - 7nights - (Superior Deluxe Balcony)
REVIEW! http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/sho....php?t=2230373

Azamara Quest - Azamara Club Cruises - Cruise to the Greek Islands and Turkey - June 2014
7 nights (Balcony)

REVIEW!
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2063572

Norwegian Jade - NCL - Eastern Med from Rome - March 2013 - 10 nights (Mini Suite Balcony)
REVIEW!
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...hlight=kikki21

Norwegian Epic - NCL - Hurricane Earl West/East
Caribbean special from Miami - August 2010 - 7 nights (Balcony)
Splendour of the Seas - RCCL - Eastern Med from Venice - October 2009 - 7 nights (Outside)
Celebrity Galaxy - Celebrity - Eastern Med from Rome - October 2008 - 10 nights (Concierge Class Balcony)
Majesty of the Seas - RCCL - Bahamas from Miami - Nov 2007 - 4 nights (Outside)
South Florida
444 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
Originally posted by Little Rascal
What do you think the average age will be on the ship?
Viking is targeting the same demographic for Oceans as for their River Cruises so it seems likely the age distribution will be similar. But who knows until the tickets are sold.

In their FAQ on the web site, the information for passengers with disabilities does not seem encouraging. Here's what they say.
Viking Cruises welcomes disabled guests but wishes all guests to understand that challenges will exist on board and during shore excursions. Viking Star has elevators, but there may still be thresholds that could make movement difficult. Shore excursions may require movement over cobblestones or up and down stairs; accordingly, a physically challenged guest will require the services of a responsible adult since crew availability is limited. Guests need to provide their own wheelchairs, except in an emergency. Motorized scooters are not typically suited on erernational (sic) cruises and cannot be accommodated.
If I had mobility issues and read this, I'd be looking for another line for my cruising.

-- roy --
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Oceania Sirena: Venice~Miami, Sep 11, 2017
Regent Navigator: World Cruise, Jan 8, 2018
Regent Voyager: Barcelona~Miami, Nov 12, 2018
Celebrity Edge: W+E Caribbean, Jan 6, 2019
Regent Mariner: Japan::Alaska, Apr 15, 2019

PAST CRUISES (E=Esther only) 1955(E) United States: TA; 1958+59(E) America: TA; 1966+67(E) Nieuw Amsterdam: TA; 1976+77+78 Discovery: Bahamas; 1990 Sky Princess: Baltic; 1992 Dolphin: Bahamas; 1993 Carnival Celebration: E. Carib.; 1997 RCI Song of America: NY~Bermuda; 2000 Carnival Celebration: W. Carib.; 2003(E) Carnival Fantasy, W. Carib.; 2004 Carnival Extasy, W. Carib.; 2006 Carnival Imagination,:E. Carib.; 2007 Celebrity Mercury: New Zealand; 2008 Azamara Journey: Panama Canal; 2009 Celebrity Solstice: Nowhere; 2010 Celebrity Infinity: Panama Canal+Alaska; 2011 Celebrity Infinity: Antarctica; 2011 Celebrity Xpedition: Galapagos; 2012 Celebrity Century: Sydney~Hawaii::Ensenada; 2012 RCI Grandeur of the Seas: Venice~Palma de Mallorca; 2012 Celebrity Infinity: Ft. Lauderdale~Valparaiso; 2013 Disney Fantasy: E. Carib.; 2013 Celebrity Equinox: Ft. Lauderdale~Barcelona; Viking Aegir: Amsterdam~Budapest::Bucharest, 2013; Oceania Regatta: Montreal~Miami, 2013; Regent Navigator: Miami~Amazon~Miami, 2013; Celebrity Millennium: Singapore~Indonesia~Singapore::Hong Kong, 2014; Disney Wonder: Bahamas~Key West, 2014; RCI Allure of the Seas: W. Carib., 2014; Regent Voyager: Fjords+Baltic(x2)+British Isles, 2014; Oceania Riviera: Barcelona~Miami, 2014; Azamara Journey: Antarctica, 2015; Regent Voyager: Tokyo~London, 2015; RCI Jewel of the Seas: Alaska, 2015; Oceania Riviera: Istanbul r/t (x2), 2015; Regent Mariner: Cape Town~Rio de Janeiro, 2015; Celebrity Solstice: NZ & Australia::B2B::Top of Australia, 2016; Regent Voyager: London~Reykjavik B3B, 2016; Regent Explorer: Rome~Miami, 2016; Regent Navigator, Miami~Auckland, 2017; Regent Navigator: Miami~Amazon~Miami, 2017; Celebrity Xpedition: Galapagos (x2), 2017
Southern California
214 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
I am thinking about booking the Viking Homeland tour but my travel agent said we have to pay this December for the entire cruise. That seems very early for full payment. Have all of you that booked have the same terms for your cruise? Usually we have to pay the balance within 90 days. I have other trips to pay for for 2013 and 2014. We may wait and book later.
Atlanta
5,839 Posts
Joined Jun 2004
Little Rascal, don't know if it makes a difference (agree it is hard to make final payment 18 months+ out) pls note last paragraph in the post below. Yes, Viking Oceans policy of early final payment is first in our dozen cruises where final payment
is required more than 120 days prior to sailing.

Cool Cruiser

Default Glitches in the reservation system
I asked my TA to book a V2 cabin on the 6/27/15 cruise. The price should have been $4,999 per person according to the VS website, but my reservation form showed a price of $5,149 per person. That price does not mach up with any price listed on the VS website; the next higher category is a V1 cabin, for $5,199 per person. So I asked my TA to check with Viking. Viking said "Good catch!" It appears that the computer programming has a flaw that will be addressed shortly. They fixed the price on my confirmation so it matches the V2 website price.

So, if you book something, double check the pricing (which you would probably do anyway but now you have something to look for). Also, I received a $300 per passenger past-passenger discount.

Other tidbits: the deposit is fully refundable through 12/31/13 with no cancellation charge applied. After that date, the full payment is refundable up to 121 days out, less a $100 per person cancellation charge.

Gerry
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
[email protected]
Mill Creek, WA
140 Posts
Joined Apr 2013
Andy, thanks for this forum! Look forward to the next two years of discussion. We've booked Viking Star for Sept 27th 2015 Venice to Istanbul with 2 days pre and 3 days post. On our first Viking River Cruise this Aug 17th Basel to Amsterdam with 2 days pre and 2 days post (Lucerne) Have picked up a lot of good information so far and looking forward to our Viking experience!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bob & Margie:
2020 Tauck China, the Yangtze River& Hong Kong
2019 Tauck Blue Danube
9/18' Viking Sea Sept 18th Montreal to New York
3/18' Viking Sea Mar 17th San Juan to San Juan
8/16' Viking Sea Aug 23rd Venice to Barcelona
9/15' Viking Star Sept 27th Venice to Istanbul
8/13' Viking Rinda Aug 17th Basel to Amsterdam
8/09' Norwegian Pearl 7 day - Glacier Bay

British Columbia, Canada
88 Posts
Joined Mar 2013
Hi Everyone,

My wife (Dianne) and I have just booked on the Sept 15, 2015 sailing from Barcelona to Istanbul. Have a hard time believing we have booked this far in advance having been a big fan of last minute vacations.

We have never taken an ocean cruise before and only this May we had our first river cruise. The river cruise was with Viking and we had such a good time and were so impressed with Viking that as soon as we saw the Viking Ocean brochure and were able to decide on the itinerary we climbed on board.

Note to Kikki21 - I see you live in Leicestershire. My wife spent her childhood in Leicester (am I right this is the same vicinity?) but she has not been back in some time. Perhaps we will meet if you decide to try Viking.

Ed
Welland Ontario Canada
54 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
My husband and I are considering Viking Homelands 15 day cruise starting July 25th with pre and post extensions. We like the idea of a 'smaller' ship. We have a 24 day trip to China next month Sept 15th so are looking forward to our first Viking tour. 2 years is a long time to book for the Ocean cruise but apparently they are booking up quickly. We have until end Dec to pay. This forum is a great place to gather so much information about the trip and the people we will meet.
Lori
DFW, Texas
1,965 Posts
Joined Sep 2002
Can't believe I just found this. We have sailed on Azamara, Silversea, and Seabourn and love the smaller ships and prefer Veranda suites. Just today, I got a pop up and decided to check it out. My wife and I are going to have a discussion tonight. One that looks intriguing to me so far is the Venice to Istanbul itinerary.

Prices and offers look pretty attractive. A little disappointed that tips were not included, but hey, we realize it all comes down to dollars and cents in the total overall cruise fare.

Who knows, maybe a new cruise line in our future.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Don

Carnival Mardi Gras 04/75, NCL Skyward 05/84, NCL Southward 04/91, Carnival Ecstasy 12/93, Crown Princess 12/94, Seabourn Legend 05/96, Enchantment of the Seas 08/01, Celebrity Infinity 10/01, Rhapsody of the Seas 11/02, Splendour of the Seas 4/03, Splendour of the Seas 10/03, Silver Whisper 4/04, Caribbean Princess 11/04, Silver Whisper 5/05, Silver Whisper 11/05, Silver Cloud 4/06, Regent Navigator 12/06, Volendam 4/08, Enchantment of the Seas 04/09, Westerdam 10/09, Royal Princess 04/10, Eurodam 10/10, Ruby Princess 10/11, Noordam 04/12, Eurodam 11/12, Azamara Quest 4/13, Disney Wonder 11/13, Caribbean Princess 4/14, Azamara Journey 6/14, Silver Spirit 12/14, Silver Whisper 12/15, Star Breeze 4/16, Azamara Quest 11/16, Silver Spirit 3/17, Seabourn Odyssey 11/17
Staffordshire, UK
224 Posts
Joined Aug 2013
I have booked on the Empires of the Mediterranean cruise from Venice to Istanbul in Sept 2015. Viking have only just released booking to Uk customers in the past few weeks. I was wondering if any of the contributors who may have booked this cruise are aware how the extension bookings are going. I am interested in the Italian Cities 3 night extension pre-cruise as well as the two night Istanbul extension post cruise but I have not yet booked them. The delay in booking is a mixture of a) to limit the amount paid so far in advance and b) I may possibly travel on the Orient Express from London but the train operator have not released their 2015 Timetable yet (no surprise!). I don't wish to leave it too late to book and find the extensions fully booked as I have read elsewhere for earlier cruises in this maiden season. All comments welcome.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Viking Star - Caribbean - 2017
Azura - Guernsey & Amsterdam 2016
Viking Star - Venice to Istanbul - 2015
Queen Victoria - West Mediterranean 2013
Queen Victoria - Norway 2012
Staffordshire, UK
224 Posts
Joined Aug 2013
???
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Staffordshire, UK
224 Posts
Joined Aug 2013
Originally posted by cruisinsince75
Can't believe I just found this. We have sailed on Azamara, Silversea, and Seabourn and love the smaller ships and prefer Veranda suites. Just today, I got a pop up and decided to check it out. My wife and I are going to have a discussion tonight. One that looks intriguing to me so far is the Venice to Istanbul itinerary.

Prices and offers look pretty attractive. A little disappointed that tips were not included, but hey, we realize it all comes down to dollars and cents in the total overall cruise fare.

Who knows, maybe a new cruise line in our future.
In the UK the cruises are being offered including tips if booked by the end of 2013. I have already booked the same cruise as you are considering for a September 2015 departure and I agree the pricing/offer looks attractive. If you believe the website it seems to be selling well!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Mill Creek, WA
140 Posts
Joined Apr 2013
Made final pymt for 2015 Viking Ocean Cruise. Viking Star Sep. 27 to Oct .6, 2015 Venice to Istanbul.

Found some more current 10/11 2013 stuff on the build progress on both new Ocean class ships with (2) more being talked about. Will look forward to seeing where Viking expands with these new ship routes?

Meeting (Happy Hour) with Michael Weldon (Dir Bus Dev) of Viking Cruises next week and look forward to hearing about this. We hope to link up with others on this Ocean Cruise. Bob & Margie

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...227092451.html

http://www.themeditelegraph.com/en/2...8pK/index.html

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...235374211.html
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bob & Margie:
2019 Tauck Blue Danube
8/13' Viking Rinda Aug 17th Basel to Amsterdam
8/09' Norwegian Pearl 7 day - Glacier Bay

1,601 Posts
Joined Jun 2013
We will be joining Viking Star on May 2nd in Barcelona for 29 days ending in Stockholm. My husband and I so much enjoyed our Amsterdam to Budapest River cruise on a Viking that we decided to take the plunge. We look forward to this amazing paid for so far in advance vacation!
1,601 Posts
Joined Jun 2013
We will be joining Viking Star on May 2nd in Barcelona for 29 days ending in Stockholm. My husband and I so much enjoyed our Amsterdam to Budapest River cruise on a Viking that we decided to take the plunge. We look forward to this amazing paid for so far in advance vacation!
Mill Creek, WA
140 Posts
Joined Apr 2013
Viking Star receives first 2 of its 4 new engines. Nice video and update on (2) more new Viking Ocean Cruise sister ships, Viking Sea and Viking Sky.

We're so excited, ready to book another Viking Ocean Cruise for 2016.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO1Or4wmTNk

http://www.corporate.man.eu/en/disco...uise-ship.html

http://worldmaritimenews.com/archive...e-ocean-ships/
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bob & Margie:
2019 Tauck Blue Danube