Hotel near San Pedro pier?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

West Coast Departures

Honolulu, Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, San Francisco, Vancouver
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 07:00 AM.
Surprise, Arizona
338 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Can anyone recommend a decent hotel in or near San Pedro that also includes parking for the duration of the cruise and a shuttle to and from the hotel to the pier?

What about restaurants in the area? We have stayed in Long Beach a couple of times and know what's there, but don't know anything about San Pedro.

Thanks to everyone in advance for all of your help!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
PAST MEMORABLE CRUISES. . .
CROWN Princess - Mexican Riviera 11/14/2015
Carnival INSPIRATION - Ensenada Mexico 12/13/13
RUBY Princess - Transatlantic - Venice to Fort Lauderdale 10/9/12
CORAL Princess - Panama Canal 9/24/2011
Carnival SPLENDOR - Mexican Riviera 5/15/2011
RUBY Princess - Caribbean 11/7/2010
Costa ATLANTICA - Caribbean 1/23/2010
ISLAND Princess - Alaska 6/22/2009
MSC ORCHESTRA - Caribbean 1/17/2009
Carnival PRIDE - Mexican Riviera 6/22/2008
Costa MEDITERRANEA - Caribbean 1/19/2008
RCCL MARINER OF THE SEAS - Caribbean 7/1/2007
Holland America OOSTERDAM - Alaska 5/11/2007
Costa MEDITERRANEA - Caribbean 1/21/2007
NCL PRIDE OF AMERICA - Hawaii 4/22/2006
Carnival HOLIDAY - Mexican Riviera 5/2001
Carnival HOLIDAY - Mexican Riviera 6/1999
Calabasas, CA, USA
11,675 Posts
Joined Dec 2002
Originally posted by LadyLeo84
Can anyone recommend a decent hotel in or near San Pedro that also includes parking for the duration of the cruise and a shuttle to and from the hotel to the pier?

What about restaurants in the area? We have stayed in Long Beach a couple of times and know what's there, but don't know anything about San Pedro.

Thanks to everyone in advance for all of your help!
There are several hotels in San Pedro, but only two have my full recommendation...

http://www.ihg.com/crowneplaza/hotel...pv/hoteldetail

http://doubletree3.hilton.com/en/hot...PDT/index.html

Both have "park and cruise" offers available that include parking during your cruise...but, of course, remember that any such rate really just incorporates the parking charges into the room rates. Both will shuttle you to the Pier.

But, in any event, these are the nicest two hotels in San Pedro--best locations, most amenities, nicest rooms, etc. The Doubletree is located in a little more remote, but very pleasant, location--down by the marina--downchannel from the cruise port near the harbor entrance...very picturesque, but really only one good restaurant choice in walking distance--the 22nd Street Landing. But the hotel will shuttle you to restaurants in the Downtown San Pedro area. The Crowne Plaza is in the heart of Downtown San Pedro. The cruise port is really only short walking distance--but the hotel will provide a shuttle. There are a great number of good restaurants close by. My favorite is the San Pedro Brewing Company--within a block of the Crowne Plaza...But, also, there are the Green Onion, Acapulco, the Whale and Ale, Rafaello, Niko's, Neil's Pasta and others all within about a two block radius.

There are a few other "lesser" hotels in San Pedro that you may hear mention of--The Best Western Suites, the Vagabond and the Sunrise, to name three. The BW and the Vagabond are on Gaffey right where the 110 Freeway dumps out into San Pedro...not a great location and not really first class hotels. The Sunrise is close to the Cruise port, but, also, not a first class hotel. There are lots of people who are fine with staying at any of these--but, remember, people have varying standards as to what they think is a "decent" hotel. Read the reviews.

Good luck.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Next:
12/22/17 RCCL Navigator of the Seas-S Caribbean
6/29/18 Celebrity Millennium-Alaska-7 nt
7/18/18 Viking Aegir-E. Europe-13 nt

HAL Maasdam 7 nt Canada 7/17*RCCL Jewel OTS 7 nt Greece 7/17*RCCL Jewel OTS 7 nt W Med 6/17*Ruby Princess 8 nt Mex Riviera 12/16*Celebrity Constellation 13 nt Iberia 7/16*Celebrity Silhouette 7 nt W. Carib 3/16*Star Princess 5 nt Cabo 11/15*Celebrity Xpedition 10 nt Galapagos/Quito 7/15*Celebrity Millennium 7 nt Alaska 6/15*Crown Princess 3 nt Baja 1/15*Golden Princess 3 nt Baja 11/14*Viking Emerald 17 nt China 6/14*RCCL Allure OTS 7 nt E. Carib 1/14*Golden Princess 3 nt Baja 11/13*Celebrity Silhouette 13 nt Adriatic 6/13*RCCL Mariner OTS 7 nt W. Carib 12/12*Celebrity Eclipse 14 nt Iceland/Norway 7/12*Celebrity Century 13 nt Australia/New Zealand 12/11-12*Oceania Marina 16 nt W. Europe 8/11*Carnival Paradise 3 nt Baja 2/11*RCCL Allure OTS 7 nt W. Carib 1/11*Celebrity Eclipse 14 nt Baltic 7/10*Celebrity Summit 7 nt S. Carib 3/10*RCCL Mariner OTS, 7 nt Mex Riviera 1/10*Oceania Nautica 14 nt Med/Egypt/Israel 6/09*RCCL Mariner OTS 1 nt Pre-Inaugural 2/09*Sapphire Princess 7 nt Mex Riviera 12/08-9*Celebrity Constellation 14 nt Baltic 7/08*RCCL Vision OTS 7 nt Mex Riviera 3/08*Carnival Liberty, 8 nt Panama 7/07*RCCL Liberty OTS 7 nt W. Caribbean 6/07*RCCL Monarch OTS 5 nt Baja 1/07*Oceania Nautica 14 nt Med 7/06*RCCL Monarch OTS 3 nt Baja 4/06*Celebrity Constellation 14 nt N. Europe 7/05*Celebrity Constellation 7 nt S. Carib 3/05*Celebrity Summit 13 nt Alaska Cruisetour 7/04*RCCL Monarch OTS 3 nt Baja 1/04*Celebrity Millennium 13 nt Med 8/03*RCCL Grandeur OTS 7 nt Mex Riviera 7/02*Crown Princess, 10 nt Baltic/Russia 8/01*Carnival Elation 7 nt Mex Riviera 8/00*RCCL Grandeur OTS 7 nt E. Carib 8/98*Carnival Jubilee 7 nt Mex Riviera 7/97*RCCL Viking Serenade 4 nt Baja 7/96*RCCL Viking Serenade 3 nt Baja 6/94*Norwegian Southward 3 nt Baja 12/89*Premier Big Red Boat Atlantic 7 nt Disney 3/89
Surprise, Arizona
338 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by Bruin Steve
There are several hotels in San Pedro, but only two have my full recommendation...

http://www.ihg.com/crowneplaza/hotel...pv/hoteldetail

http://doubletree3.hilton.com/en/hot...PDT/index.html

Both have "park and cruise" offers available that include parking during your cruise...but, of course, remember that any such rate really just incorporates the parking charges into the room rates. Both will shuttle you to the Pier.

But, in any event, these are the nicest two hotels in San Pedro--best locations, most amenities, nicest rooms, etc. The Doubletree is located in a little more remote, but very pleasant, location--down by the marina--downchannel from the cruise port near the harbor entrance...very picturesque, but really only one good restaurant choice in walking distance--the 22nd Street Landing. But the hotel will shuttle you to restaurants in the Downtown San Pedro area. The Crowne Plaza is in the heart of Downtown San Pedro. The cruise port is really only short walking distance--but the hotel will provide a shuttle. There are a great number of good restaurants close by. My favorite is the San Pedro Brewing Company--within a block of the Crowne Plaza...But, also, there are the Green Onion, Acapulco, the Whale and Ale, Rafaello, Niko's, Neil's Pasta and others all within about a two block radius.

There are a few other "lesser" hotels in San Pedro that you may hear mention of--The Best Western Suites, the Vagabond and the Sunrise, to name three. The BW and the Vagabond are on Gaffey right where the 110 Freeway dumps out into San Pedro...not a great location and not really first class hotels. The Sunrise is close to the Cruise port, but, also, not a first class hotel. There are lots of people who are fine with staying at any of these--but, remember, people have varying standards as to what they think is a "decent" hotel. Read the reviews.

Good luck.
Thank you so much for the info!! I will check out the 2 hotels that you recommended to me. Do you know of a good place to have breakfast before we board the ship?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Georgia
745 Posts
Joined May 2001
We've stayed twice at the Crowne Plaze and have been pleased both times. Very close to lots of places to eat, and close to the pier as well. We've eaten breakfast both times at Grinder's. Nothing fancy, but very good food and excellent service. Only about a 10 minute walk. 511 S Harbor Blvd. is the address.
SF Bay Area
1,469 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
Thank you so much for the info!! I will check out the 2 hotels that you recommended to me. Do you know of a good place to have breakfast before we board the ship?
We stayed at the DoubleTree this past Spring pre-cruise. They have a restaurant on premises. Cook to order or buffet breakfast. Note, if you order something like scramble eggs and bacon, the waiters will get the food from the buffet
BC
250 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
We have stayed twice at the Best Western and have found it to be a very nice hotel. The rooms are very large, the beds are extremely comfortable. The lobby has a lot of antique furniture and we found it to be clean. They have the typical BW free breakfast in the mornings. It is number 22 out of 339 for LA Hotels. Crowne Plaza is 123, Doubletree is 106. They have a free shuttle to the cruise port, I found the staff at the front desk very helpful and friendly. I agree the area can be a bit hinkey at night, but I walked to the McDonald's down the block, and the 7/11 across the street at nite no problem. During the day I found no issues. If you want to go to a nice restaurant at nite, get a cab.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
February -2011 Emerald Princess Eastern Caribbean
March -2013 Carnival Miracle Panama Canal
October - 2014 Golden Princess Pacific Coastal
February - 2015 Crown Princess Mexican Riviera
denver
378 Posts
Joined Sep 2009
Originally posted by rocker57
We have stayed twice at the Best Western and have found it to be a very nice hotel. The rooms are very large, the beds are extremely comfortable. The lobby has a lot of antique furniture and we found it to be clean. They have the typical BW free breakfast in the mornings. It is number 22 out of 339 for LA Hotels. Crowne Plaza is 123, Doubletree is 106. They have a free shuttle to the cruise port, I found the staff at the front desk very helpful and friendly. I agree the area can be a bit hinkey at night, but I walked to the McDonald's down the block, and the 7/11 across the street at nite no problem. During the day I found no issues. If you want to go to a nice restaurant at nite, get a cab.
Thank you for posting your opinion on the Best Western! DH and I are staying there next month pre-cruise and all I hear on CC is how great the Crown Plaza and Doubletree are supposed to be. I'm glad you liked the BW and that the rooms are comfortable and clean. Nice to know that there is a 7/11 right there for last minute items too. We think we will drive over to the San Pedro Brewery for dinner, as I've heard good things about them and the menu looks delicious.

Cathy
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Ruby Princess 2016
Ruby Princess 2015
Carnival Conquest 2014
Golden Princess 2013
Celebrity Eclipse 2011
Holland America Westerdam 2009

BC
250 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
Originally posted by calisilent
Thank you for posting your opinion on the Best Western! DH and I are staying there next month pre-cruise and all I hear on CC is how great the Crown Plaza and Doubletree are supposed to be. I'm glad you liked the BW and that the rooms are comfortable and clean. Nice to know that there is a 7/11 right there for last minute items too. We think we will drive over to the San Pedro Brewery for dinner, as I've heard good things about them and the menu looks delicious.

Cathy
Hi Cathy, If noise bothers you, you may want to request a room in the back overlooking the pool. It is on a busy street, and the traffic noise may get to you. The first time I stayed there, my friends stayed in a room facing the front, they said it was noisy, but they also found it entertaining watching the people on the street. Also, even though it is probably a couple of miles or so away from the port, you can see the ships in the morning, and personally, that always gives me a thrill, and gets me even more excited about boarding.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
denver
378 Posts
Joined Sep 2009
Hi Cathy, If noise bothers you, you may want to request a room in the back overlooking the pool. It is on a busy street, and the traffic noise may get to you. The first time I stayed there, my friends stayed in a room facing the front, they said it was noisy, but they also found it entertaining watching the people on the street. Also, even though it is probably a couple of miles or so away from the port, you can see the ships in the morning, and personally, that always gives me a thrill, and gets me even more excited about boarding.
Noise doesn't bother me too much. I'm really excited now to think we could see the ships from the hotel! So is that an advantage to a street facing room, then? It sounds like a win-win no matter where in the hotel we have a room.
Thank you for posting! I just can't wait! Only 25 more days till we fly out to LA!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Ruby Princess 2016
Ruby Princess 2015
Carnival Conquest 2014
Golden Princess 2013
Celebrity Eclipse 2011

BC
250 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
This are a couple of pictures I took at the hotel. The first one is the picture of the pool from my window, I had a room at the back:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BW Pool.jpg (13.4 KB, 102 views)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
BC
250 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
This picture is a view from my friends window showing the ship in port. I did use a zoom, as it isn't that close
When you get to the hotel, book the shuttle for what time you want it. The only time we could get when my husband and I went the 2nd time was for 10:30, and he didn't want to go that early so we just took a cab down around 1pm, I think it was around $10. Hope you have a wonderful trip!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg view of the ship from BW.jpg (9.2 KB, 95 views)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
denver
378 Posts
Joined Sep 2009
This picture is a view from my friends window showing the ship in port. I did use a zoom, as it isn't that close
When you get to the hotel, book the shuttle for what time you want it. The only time we could get when my husband and I went the 2nd time was for 10:30, and he didn't want to go that early so we just took a cab down around 1pm, I think it was around $10. Hope you have a wonderful trip!
It looks like pretty window views either way! Thank you for posting pictures. Even seeing a ship far away is fun and exciting to wake up to
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Ruby Princess 2016
Ruby Princess 2015
Carnival Conquest 2014
Golden Princess 2013
Celebrity Eclipse 2011

Southern Cal/Maui No Ka Oi
18,610 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
Even seeing a ship far away is fun and exciting to wake up to
Except when at FLL airport waiting to fly home looking at the ship we just sailed & wishing we were still onboard.
BC
250 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
Originally posted by Astro Flyer
Except when at FLL airport waiting to fly home looking at the ship we just sailed & wishing we were still onboard.
True enough!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
denver
378 Posts
Joined Sep 2009
Originally posted by Astro Flyer
Next time you need to book a back to back so you won't have to feel that way!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Ruby Princess 2016
Ruby Princess 2015
Carnival Conquest 2014
Golden Princess 2013
Celebrity Eclipse 2011

Southern Cal/Maui No Ka Oi
18,610 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
Next time you need to book a back to back so you won't have to feel that way!
Great idea except eventually I'd have to disembark the ship.
Surprise, Arizona
338 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
I have a question about the parking at the Best Western in San Pedro. . .

Has anyone parked their car there while on their cruise and if so, did you feel that it was parked in a secure area? I really don't want to have to worry about the safety of our car while we're miles away.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
denver
378 Posts
Joined Sep 2009
I have a question about the parking at the Best Western in San Pedro. . .

Has anyone parked their car there while on their cruise and if so, did you feel that it was parked in a secure area? I really don't want to have to worry about the safety of our car while we're miles away.
I wondered that as well, LadyLeo. But ultimately we skipped booking the park and cruise package and only booked the rooms. We are flying in but my parents are driving to San Pedro from Yuma Arizona, so they will need parking. We decided for convenience sake they would just park at the pier so we will all go from the Best Western to the pier and split the parking cost for the week. No waiting for shuttles in either direction and the price difference was not that much more even with the increase. I will have a better cruise not wondering in the back of my mind if their car is secure or not.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Ruby Princess 2016
Ruby Princess 2015
Carnival Conquest 2014
Golden Princess 2013
Celebrity Eclipse 2011

Surprise, Arizona
338 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
I wondered that as well, LadyLeo. But ultimately we skipped booking the park and cruise package and only booked the rooms. We are flying in but my parents are driving to San Pedro from Yuma Arizona, so they will need parking. We decided for convenience sake they would just park at the pier so we will all go from the Best Western to the pier and split the parking cost for the week. No waiting for shuttles in either direction and the price difference was not that much more even with the increase. I will have a better cruise not wondering in the back of my mind if their car is secure or not.
Calisilent. . .
I think that's a great idea to park at the pier and for all of you to split the cost. Or course, it would cost us more to park there, but we may go ahead and do that for the peace of mind. We have stayed at the Maya Hotel in Long Beach 3 times and left our car parked there as well while we cruised. No problems whatsoever. Just don't know San Pedro at all, so we're concerned with the safety.
When do you sail? We will be on the Crown Princess November 14th. If you sail before us, please let us know what you thought about the hotel, etc.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Ontario, Canada
2,329 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
We just stayed at the BW, San Pedro pre and post cruise. Very nice, very clean and staff were great. There is parking under and inside the hotel. You could always phone the hotel and see what the parking rate is. I would think if you were inside it would be hard to steal a car. The room was a nice size and the bed and pillows were so comfortable. It was certainly not decorated like the usual BW's are. They served homemade waffles, scrambled eggs, pastries, cereal, toast, etc. for breakfast which is included in the room price. We walked to MacDonald's and the 711 and felt fine. The front desk clerk said it was safe to walk. There is a Hawaiin restaurant just up the street from the hotel that the locals enjoy going to. I would stay here again as it is way cheaper than the other 2 mentioned unless you get a deal on Priceline or something like that.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past Cruises

Viking Star- Danube river cruise - 2001
Avalon Tapestry - Rhine river cruise - 2008
Carnival Sensation - Bahamas cruise - 2008
AMA MS Tolstoy - Moscow to St. Petersburg - 2009
Golden Princess - Hawaii - 2010
Insight Vacations- Nile river cruise-2011-Cancelled
Emerald Princess - Baltic Cruise - 2011
Emerald Princess - Eastern Caribbean - 2012
Island Princess - Panama Canal - 2012