Port Shuttle info from P&O pages

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your P&O cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 05:05 AM.
West Country, UK
4,254 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
https://ask.pocruises.com/resources/...le_Information
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Host Sharon

Cruise Photos:
https://photos.google.com/albums
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sharonsshiptravels/
Blog: http://sharonp-shipsinmylife.blogspot.com/

Ships sailed on:
Vistafjord, Caronia, QE2, Queen Mary 2, Queen Victoria, Queen Elizabeth Maiden Voyage, Aurora, Arcadia, Oriana, Oceana, Artemis, Ventura, Balmoral, Braemar, Adonia, Discovery, Royal Princess (2013 ship), Nautica, MV Funchal, Zaandam, Saga Pearl, Anthem of the Seas, Norwegian Escape, Harmony of the Seas. Also Rhine and Dutch river cruises

Ships visited:
Independence of the Seas, Azura, Artania, Prinsendam, Maasdam, Crystal Symphony, Saga Sapphire, Saga Pearl II, Marco Polo

To come:-
Adonia Round Britain 2017

Saga Sapphire Xmas Markets 2017
Aurora circumnavigation of South America 2018
Arcadia - USA & Canada Sept 2018

>
1 Posts
Joined Jul 2011
FYI, at Rome (civitavecchia) - yes you get a free shuttle bus from the ship, but you are now dropped off at the back door of the port - where you have to either walk (20mins) or pay €2pp to get the bus back to the station
West Country, UK
4,254 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Also I understand that the drop-off point for the Rome on Your Own tour has been changed from St Peter's Square to beside the statue of Victor Emmanuel near the Forum.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Host Sharon

Cruise Photos:
https://photos.google.com/albums
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sharonsshiptravels/
Blog: http://sharonp-shipsinmylife.blogspot.com/

Ships sailed on:
Vistafjord, Caronia, QE2, Queen Mary 2, Queen Victoria, Queen Elizabeth Maiden Voyage, Aurora, Arcadia, Oriana, Oceana, Artemis, Ventura, Balmoral, Braemar, Adonia, Discovery, Royal Princess (2013 ship), Nautica, MV Funchal, Zaandam, Saga Pearl, Anthem of the Seas, Norwegian Escape, Harmony of the Seas. Also Rhine and Dutch river cruises

Ships visited:
Independence of the Seas, Azura, Artania, Prinsendam, Maasdam, Crystal Symphony, Saga Sapphire, Saga Pearl II, Marco Polo

To come:-
Adonia Round Britain 2017

Saga Sapphire Xmas Markets 2017
Aurora circumnavigation of South America 2018
Arcadia - USA & Canada Sept 2018

>
Yorkshire, UK
479 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
There would be hell to pay if I had booked select and then had to pay for the shuttle if it was provided by P&O, as per their terms.

Complimentary use of shuttle buses in port (where provided by P&O Cruises)
Wales, UK
1,505 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
At Civitavecchia Port the Shuttle buses are provided by the Port Authority not P&O and are free to everyone. You are not allowed to walk thru the port area.
74 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
We walked through the Port the year before last, as did people from other ships. We then made our way to the Station which was about 10 minutes. The free Shuttle would not stop at the Port gates to let us off. We knew it went into the town and we would have to either walk to the Station from there or catch a bus. Has the Port changed its policy about walking through it?
Toronto
845 Posts
Joined Apr 2006
Going on our first P&O cruise to the Baltic in May 2017.
The P&O port shuttle bus list is not something I shall be relying on.

Example: we call at Copenhagen - but not at the quay that P&O shows in its list*.
I'm wondering if the list is not kept too current.

My first impressions of P&O are that they are not very communicative about what's going to happen on our cruise and when.
Example: we now have a glossy "Holiday Handbook" from them, which is mainly about booking shore excursions while on this cruise. But we have yet to be formally told of each port's arrival and departure times; fairly essential, basic material when visiting a port, I'd say.

Does anyone have views on P&O's ability to share information with its passengers, either before or during the cruise?

* We found this out from Copenhagen's own port website, P&O have been silent so far about this.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
M.S. Odessa: New York - Montreal, 76.06.
QE2: Southampton - New York, 02.05.
Carnival Holiday: Mobile - W. Carib - Mobile, 05.04.
Legend of the Seas: Tampa - Southampton, 06.05.
Carnival Spirit: San Diego - Hawaii, 07.06.
Celebrity Galaxy: Miami - Rome, 08.05.
Emerald Princess: Ft Lauderdale - S. Caribbean - FL, 08.11.
Splendour of the Seas: Lisbon - Sao Paulo, 09.12.
Ocean Princess: Dover - Greenland - New York, 10.06.
Serenade of the Seas: San Juan - E. Caribbean - San Juan, 11.05
Crown Princess: New York - Quebec, 11.09.
Rotterdam VI: Ft Lauderdale - Rotterdam, 12.04
Queen Mary 2: New York - Southampton, 13.07
Queen Mary 2: Southampton - New York, 13.08
Queen Victoria: Ft. Lauderdale - Southampton, 14.04
Norwegian Pearl: Miami - E. Carib - Miami 15.03
Queen Mary 2: New York - Southampton, 15.08
Queen Mary 2: Southampton - New York, 15.08
Queen Mary 2: New York - Southampton, 16.07
Queen Mary 2: Southampton - New York, 16.08

Norwegian Jade: Tampa - Cork, 17.04
P&O Aurora: Southampton - Baltic - Southampton, 17.05
56 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
Yes you cannot completely rely on the [email protected] shuttle page, it needs updating.
For instance for Quebec it says no shuttle and Le Vieux Port but we were at pier 30 and thank goodness had a shuttle and it wasn't a problem. The only mention was the term berth dependant so I didn't know if there would be a shuttle until I was on-board.
Again with Copenhagen it stills mention the Langelinie Pier when they are just as likely to use the new
Ocean Quay which is quite a distance away. Like the poster above I found this out from the port information and got in touch with [email protected] and have been assured of a shuttle.
So if you are keen to find out where you dock best to look at the individual port sites.
worthing
27 Posts
Joined Dec 2015
After many cruises we are considering a "saver fare" on P&O. Can anyone tell us of your experiences between this and select fares? Would be very much appreciated.
Yorkshire, UK
479 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Originally posted by izzywalker
After many cruises we are considering a "saver fare" on P&O. Can anyone tell us of your experiences between this and select fares? Would be very much appreciated.
Basically you need to check the terms and conditions for each, which doesn't differ massively. My view is that you only book select if you need specifics, such as picking particular cabins or you really want the cruise. We have just returned from the Caribbean where I booked Select because saver fares were not available and the cruise was a 35 nighter to celebrate our retirement and we wanted to be sure we got that cruise. I came close to cancelling and booking saver and losing the initial 15% deposit and the perks of select, if the saving had been a bit more I would have done.

It also depends what grade of cabin you book as the more expensive the cabin the more you usually save. We are all different and look for different things in a cruise, review your requirements and decide whether select is worth the extra cost.
8 Posts
Joined Mar 2017
We are also going on a Baltic cruise with P and O in May and have decided to do a shore excursion with Alla Tours who have been very highly recommended by our friend, when we are in St. Petersburg. It seems that most travellers on Aurora do excursions through the ship which are usually more expensive. Other excursions with Alla include Copenhagen and most of the other stopping ports but as there aren't enough requests for their services in these other ports, they can't do them which then means just using the ship tours. In our experience individual tours are quite a bit cheaper.
uk
79 Posts
Joined Jul 2011
Originally posted by Rabidtraveller
We are also going on a Baltic cruise with P and O in May and have decided to do a shore excursion with Alla Tours who have been very highly recommended by our friend, when we are in St. Petersburg. It seems that most travellers on Aurora do excursions through the ship which are usually more expensive. Other excursions with Alla include Copenhagen and most of the other stopping ports but as there aren't enough requests for their services in these other ports, they can't do them which then means just using the ship tours. In our experience individual tours are quite a bit cheaper.
We arranged a private guide ,ie 12 seat minibus, guide, picked us up at 8-30 both days we were in port, lunch in a "proper" Russian café, with vodka included, back at ship 5-00, could also arrange a Russian folk lore show or ballet as well, cost less than half the price of ships tour. I still have her email if you are interested
East Yorkshire
207 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
On a late saver in June calling at Piraeus. I recall from my Merchant Navy days that this is a busy port. I am wondering if the Port Authority would require free shuttle buses to transport people safely out of the dock gates. This I reckon would be the only stop on the itinerary where a shuttle bus could needed. Can anybody confirm please?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Newport, South Wales, UK
2,402 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
Been to Piraeus 3 times on various cruise lines and never had a shuttle. Always walked out of the port.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sea Princess - Caribbean Dream 3rd Jan 2009
Coral Princess - Panama Canal 22nd Nov 2009
Mariner of the Seas - Mexican Riviera 3rd Oct 2010
P&O Arcadia - Baltics 7th July 2011
Celebrity Solstice - Eastern Med 4th Nov 2011
Caribbean Princess - Norway & Iceland 20th July 2012
Celebrity Millennium - South East Asia 9th Dec 2012
Crown Princess - Mediterranean Medley 11th May 2013
Coral Princess - Alaska Northbound 28th Aug 2013
Emerald Princess - Canaries & Iberia 31st May 2014
Thomson Celebration - Best of the Black Sea 6th Oct 2014 - We cancelled due to Putin's ongoing KGB tactics in Ukraine.
Thomson Majesty - Aegean Delights 10th Oct 2014
Thomson Majesty - Adriatic Explorer 17th Oct 2014
Rhapsody of the Seas - Aegean 22nd June 2015
Explorer of the Seas - Middle East & Asia 23rd Oct 2015
Celebrity Millennium - Ultimate Japan & Hong Kong with Mt Fuji by Bullet Train 13th Oct 2016
Vision of the Seas - Dubai & Emirates 23rd Jan 2017
Crown Princess - Midnight Sun & Summer Solstice 17 Jun 2017
Crown Princess - Classic Canada & New England 4th Oct 2017
P&O Oriana - Canaries & Iberia 9th Mar 2018
Sun Princess - 5 Day NSW Tour and New Zealand 20th Nov 2018

East Yorkshire
207 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Originally posted by newport dave
Been to Piraeus 3 times on various cruise lines and never had a shuttle. Always walked out of the port.
That'll do for me.
Thanks.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
cardiff
5 Posts
Joined May 2012
Did Norwegian Fjiords on Ventura last minute saver. Had to queue to get dining I wanted and no on board spending allowance otherwise no difference. Wasn't charged for shuttles etc.
30 Posts
Joined Nov 2009
Originally posted by Daftlad
On a late saver in June calling at Piraeus. I recall from my Merchant Navy days that this is a busy port. I am wondering if the Port Authority would require free shuttle buses to transport people safely out of the dock gates. This I reckon would be the only stop on the itinerary where a shuttle bus could needed. Can anybody confirm please?
We called at Pireaus on recent P&O Ventura cruise and there was no shuttle bus, we had to walk about 10 mins. to the dock gates.