New! OFFICIAL Meet & Mingles on Your Next 7-day or Longer Carnival Cruise!

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:33 PM.
mansfield, tx
2,760 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
Originally posted by Justinetime2cruise
Need to know what this is and what is in it "the Fishbowl"...sounds kinda interesting.
I had a painkiller. Many of their menu items can be ordered as a fishbowl. I think it's about 40 ounces. They put several straws in it to share with friends. My friends didn't help me quite enough.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Jubilee 6/03
Carnival Elation 8/8/04
Carnival Valor 7/13/08
Carnival Conquest 8/2/09
Carnival Liberty 7/10/10
Royal Caribbean Enchantment of the Seas 9/18/10
Carnival Liberty 11/05/11
Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas 9/15/12
Carnival Glory 9/06/14
Carnival Magic 1/25/15
Carnival Freedom 5/16/15
Carnival Breeze 9/26/15
Carnival Freedom 4/30/16
Regal Princess 11/6/16 Thank you, Imperial Sugar!!

www.facebook.com/deannamcs
Ontario, Canada
1,591 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
Hi

So are these Carnival Meet & Greets officially a no go?

We have just returned from the May 16 Carnival Legend, Alaska cruise. Had a great cruise...beautiful weather, no rain at all, Vancouver, Seattle, any of the ports, the glacier touring days...incredible!!!

Checked the Fun times every day to make sure we didn't miss it.
...but no meet and greet

Is it just inconsistent or just not going to happen? Either way if they (Carnival) don't make an effort to let us know one way or another, it is very bad form.

I agree that the Cruise Critic moderators should reach out for clarification. The arrangement wasn't made with us and it would seem that those who have tried to get some answer from their (Carnival) most well known public rep. (J.H.) haven't received any clear responses.

I hope this gets settled because if they (Carnival) are not able to handle this task, then we can go back to arranging our own. Somebody at Carnival made the decision, so what is the problem?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Jax, FL
1,459 Posts
Joined Jun 2006
OK, this is going to be a frank and honest review of both the CCL side, and the CC side of the CC/CCL M&M debacles (IMHO) so far!

M & M - CC/CCL Meet and Mingle
M & G - CC Roll Call organized
Meet and Greet.

We sailed the Magic last week 5/21/16.

CC - PRO

There was a sign up page dedicated to the Magic 21 May 2016 cruise.
There were 52 PAX registered for the CCL/CC M&M

I was able to post in the roll call several times about an informal M&G at sail away and on the first sea day.

CC - CON

I attempted to have a CC informal M&G at sail away and on the first sea day, no one attended either one.

No advance info available on CC about when the CC/CCL M&M would be held!

Only 4 people who signed up for the event attended.

CCL - PRO

The event was held in a large lounge (Vibes). There were soft drinks, coffee, tea and chocolate chip cookies available.

CCL Officers and Crew were already there when we arrived at 3:45, 1st port day. Amber Cove, DR.

The Cruise Director, Dr. E ; Hotel Director, Lyubormir G.; Entertainment Director, Lav; a Guest Relations REP and the Food and Beverage director.

Several of the officers/crew stayed for an entire hour, even though only 4 of us (CC members) were there.

The officers/crew were entirely receptive to feedback about how to change the format to make it work. Times, dates, crew attendance, venues, and more were all discussed. Even though this was only one ship, their input to the beards and CC Mgt, should help out in the long run.

CCL- CON

Poor announcement of the event. Small print in the Fun Times. Time was just after all PAX were to be onboard before sailing. (3:45 M&M, 4:00 departure)

Weather did play a part in the attendance, which again was scheduled to close to sailing on a port day.

Event should have been held on the 1st Sea Day. CCL staff claims that the only times are in the late mornings on the 1st sea day, to which we told them, PERFECT! 10:30 - 12:00

In closing, again this is all IMHO.
I would hope that CC staff take note of this review, and work with CCL to refine the CC/CCL M&M's to make them more convenient for attendance to all CC Roll Call members.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
jw

1995 - Seabreeze - E. Caribbean
1997 - Oceanbreeze - W. Caribbean
1998 - Big Red Boat - Bahamas
2005 - C.Celebration - Bahamas
2006 - NCL Pride of Hawaii (now the Jade) 7 day Island Cruise
2008 - C.Fascination - Bahamas/HMC
2009 - C.Legend - W. Caribbean
2009 - C. Fascination - Bahamas
2009 - C. Victory - S. Caribbean
2011 - C. Dream - E. Caribbean
2011 - RCL Oasis of the Seas - Haiti, Jamaica, Cozumel
2012 - C. Fascination - Key West/Bahamas
2013 - C. Fascination - 7 Day - Grand Turk/HMC
2013 - RCL Enchantment of the Seas-Bahamas
2013 - C. Fascination - LS Cay/Nassau
2014 - C. Freedom - Aruba/Curacao
2014 - C. Fascination B2B- Bahamas
2015 - C. Valor, E. Caribbean
2015 - C. Fascination, HMC Bahamas
2016 - C. Magic - DR, VI, PR, GTurk
Upcoming:
10/30/17 C. Elation - Bahamas

4/7/18 - C. Elation - Bermuda/HMC

Ontario, Canada
1,591 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
Hi JWJAX

Well at least they held the event for your group.

I was under the impression that they didn't schedule one for our cruise at all (the other people in our roll call said the same) because I was looking every day in the Fun Times. Now that you have suggested how hard it was to spot the notice, I am wondering if I had missed it myself. You know, if you write it in invisible ink nobody will see it.

My thought is...what's up with these people? If it was you, and you were to host a party, you would make sure that the people that you wanted to attend were made aware. You wouldn't place a small notice in the back of the classifieds. Second, and I mentioned this before, was that you would schedule it at a time when people would likely be able to attend.

We have been scheduling these events for years on our own. Sometimes successful and sometime not so much. Here we have a cruise line that can manage to move millions of people around the world every year and yet it seems that they have a real problem organizing a party. It is mystifying!!

As a cruise critic member it feels disappointing. Big announcement of their intentions and yet the effort is inconsistent at best. That is why I felt the CC moderators should reach out to clarify some of the issues so people can know what to expect. It shouldn't be a mystery when the event will be held. We should at least know where to look for a time and date. At least then if nobody showed up you could say it was because they couldn't or didn't want to attend as opposed to not knowing it was happening.

Not many comments so I don't know if these parties are happening or not. I guess by the time we go on our next cruise it will be sorted out one way or another. We won't be able to go again till the fall at least.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

9 Posts
Joined Apr 2016
I was able to locate the event in the fun times listed in the hourly schedule of events.. scan the list looking for the *. It signifies the event is not affiliated / sanctioned / whatever by CCL as stated below the list in the legend. Maybe this will help find it.
South florida
945 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
Recently returned from the Valor (8 day departing on 6/4) we had a very active roll call and 133 people signed up! Nothing! Ships command was NOT EVEN AWARE of the event (hotel director nor ship was not notified and thus did not organize anything).

Cruise critic has been silent on this since the "big announcement" but there is certainly a glitch with CC for the organization of these which is a shame because when Carnival does not host the events, CC members are disappointed and of course mark down the ship on guest satisfaction which brings down the score for the ship. The hotel department heads have to answer for these negatives and it is not correct if they are not even being made aware that they have a qualified sailing and people are expecting this.

I hope that this communication glitch can be remedied otherwise, better to not even offer any "official" M&M.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
_____/7_/7_/7________
\:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Southwest Florida
3,250 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
We had over 100 signed up for our Vista cruise and Carnival scheduled it for the LAST day of the cruise at a time when people would still be in port.

I sent them several emails, contacted John Heald on facebook and even spoke to John Heald on the ship to no avail. They stuck with 4 pm on the last port day of the cruise.

Needless to say, no one showed up.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
9 Day Med - Jewel May 30, 2018 - Rome, Messina, Mykonos, Kusadasi, Santorini, Athens, Naples
10 Day Mediterranean - Vista May 2016 - Athens, Rhodes, Valleta, Messina, Naples, Rome, Florence, Marseille, Barcelona
7 Day Eastern - Glory - St.Thomas,SanJuan,GrTurk,HalfMoonCay
7 Day Western Mediterranean - NCL EPIC out of Barcelona - 5/2013
7 Day Eastern - Liberty '11 - St.Thomas,SanJuan, GrTurk
7 Day Western - Glory 2009 - Cozumel, Gr. Cayman, Belize, Roatan
4 Day Western - Imagination 2006 - Key West, Calica
7 Day Western - Triumph 2005 -Cozumel, Ocho Rios, Grand Caymen

Connecticut
21,356 Posts
Joined Apr 2006
Originally posted by BaseballMomof4
We had over 100 signed up for our Vista cruise and Carnival scheduled it for the LAST day of the cruise at a time when people would still be in port.

I sent them several emails, contacted John Heald on facebook and even spoke to John Heald on the ship to no avail. They stuck with 4 pm on the last port day of the cruise.

That is disappointing.
Belleville, MI
5,148 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Originally posted by BaseballMomof4

That sounds like the "farewell party" that they had a few years ago. It was at 5:00 on the last night when people were busy packing.

If you plan something at an inconvenient time, no one will come, then we can cancel due to lack of interest. Right?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

1/07/17 Carnival Conquest - 8-day Exotic Eastern Caribbean B2B with
1/15/17 Carnival Conquest - 6-day Eastern Caribbean
1/09/2016 - Carnival Glory Eastern B2B with
1/16/2016 - Glory Western - Honeymoon cruises
1/18/2015 - Carnival Conquest Western B2B with
1/24/2015 - Carnival Conquest Southern
1/18/2014 - Carnival Liberty Eastern B2B with
1/25/2014 - Carnival Liberty Western
1/20/2013 - Carnival Freedom Western B2B with
1/26/2013 - Carnival Freedom Eastern (Platinum)
1/29/2012 - Carnival Legend-Exotic W.Caribbean
1/22/2011 - Carnival Miracle-Exotic So.Caribbean
2/24/2010 - Carnival Miracle - Southern Caribbean
1/11/2009 - Carnival Valor - Eastern Caribbean
1/19/2008 - Carnival Liberty-S.Caribbean B2B with
1/13/2008 - Carnival Liberty - Western Caribbean
1/21/2006 - Carnival Triumph -Western Caribbean
5/21/2005 - NCL Wind-Hawaii & FanningIsland
11/30/2003 - Carnival Victory - Eastern Caribbean

USA
6,096 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
Originally posted by Sparky2
That sounds like the "farewell party" that they had a few years ago. It was at 5:00 on the last night when people were busy packing.

If you plan something at an inconvenient time, no one will come, then we can cancel due to lack of interest. Right?
Sounds familiar for sure
Anchorage, Alaska
465 Posts
Joined Jun 2007
I think some people may be getting confused. On one hand if you're on the roll call for your cruise & someone is arranging an informal meet & greet (usually on sail away) you don't have to sign up. You're on the roll call & that's good.
The more "formal" meet & mingle sponsored by CRUISE CRITIC with Carnival is a MUST sign up and is NOT organized by anyone on the roll call. You are not counted as "going" if you have not signed up. People can still go if not signed up officially but if the minimum didn't sign up with CC then it won't happen.
I just received an email for my July 16 cruise on Valor that said: "This is just a reminder for the Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle aboard your Carnival Cruise Line ship that you helped organize on the 07/16/2016 sailing of Carnival Valor. Once onboard, you will receive an invitation stating the date, time and place of your party." Doesn't that sound like I will get an invitation and NOT find it printed in the Fun Times? Confusing!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
mansfield, tx
2,760 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
I just received an email for my July 16 cruise on Valor that said: "This is just a reminder for the Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle aboard your Carnival Cruise Line ship that you helped organize on the 07/16/2016 sailing of Carnival Valor. Once onboard, you will receive an invitation stating the date, time and place of your party." Doesn't that sound like I will get an invitation and NOT find it printed in the Fun Times? Confusing! [/quote]

That's what it sounds like - I looked at my email from my Freedom cruise & it just said it would be listed in the Fun Times - no mention of an invitation. I never saw it in the Fun Times, although someone on CC reported it was only on the printed version, not the app version, which explains why I missed it. Maybe they have heard the complaints & decided to use invitations now. Have fun!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Jubilee 6/03
Carnival Elation 8/8/04
Carnival Valor 7/13/08
Carnival Conquest 8/2/09
Carnival Liberty 7/10/10
Royal Caribbean Enchantment of the Seas 9/18/10
Carnival Liberty 11/05/11
Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas 9/15/12
Carnival Glory 9/06/14
Carnival Magic 1/25/15
Carnival Freedom 5/16/15
Carnival Breeze 9/26/15
Carnival Freedom 4/30/16
Regal Princess 11/6/16 Thank you, Imperial Sugar!!

www.facebook.com/deannamcs
Paris IL
1,781 Posts
Joined Sep 2014
Originally posted by dmdiver
I just received an email for my July 16 cruise on Valor that said: "This is just a reminder for the Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle aboard your Carnival Cruise Line ship that you helped organize on the 07/16/2016 sailing of Carnival Valor. Once onboard, you will receive an invitation stating the date, time and place of your party." Doesn't that sound like I will get an invitation and NOT find it printed in the Fun Times? Confusing!
That's what it sounds like - I looked at my email from my Freedom cruise & it just said it would be listed in the Fun Times - no mention of an invitation. I never saw it in the Fun Times, although someone on CC reported it was only on the printed version, not the app version, which explains why I missed it. Maybe they have heard the complaints & decided to use invitations now. Have fun![/quote]

I would hope CC is working with Carnival to fine tune the M&M so more people would find out about. Cudos to both if this is happening. .
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
I suffer from CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are in alphabetical order, as they SHOULD be...
"An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications" - Lazarus Long
Growing old is mandatory - growing up is optional.....
PA
1,565 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
Originally posted by Raxter54
That's what it sounds like - I looked at my email from my Freedom cruise & it just said it would be listed in the Fun Times - no mention of an invitation. I never saw it in the Fun Times, although someone on CC reported it was only on the printed version, not the app version, which explains why I missed it. Maybe they have heard the complaints & decided to use invitations now. Have fun!
I would hope CC is working with Carnival to fine tune the M&M so more people would find out about. Cudos to both if this is happening. .[/quote]

That explains why so many people are missing it. They are looking at an app. I will remind my roll calls to use the printed fun times. Thanks!

Sue
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
12-08-2012 Grand Princess
06-03-2014 Star Princess
04-12-2015 Carnival Conquest
04-18-2015 Royal Princess

Pennsylvania
36 Posts
Joined May 2016
Originally posted by Raxter54
I would hope CC is working with Carnival to fine tune the M&M so more people would find out about. Cudos to both if this is happening. .[/quote]
Pennsylvania
36 Posts
Joined May 2016
Originally posted by Justinetime2cruise
I would hope CC is working with Carnival to fine tune the M&M so more people would find out about. Cudos to both if this is happening. .
[/quote]

I would suggest that if you want to meet..make your own plans..we got no email or anything in the fun times. We wore leis and I found somebody that way at embarkation
Dont be sorry make your own before you go.
Michigan
6,836 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Originally posted by pusywillow
That explains why so many people are missing it. They are looking at an app. I will remind my roll calls to use the printed fun times. Thanks!

Sue[/quote]

We didn't miss ours. It was printed in the paper fun times. We were there, along with other cc members at the time and place given. Carnival was the no show.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Warm Breezes

Cruise History Summary: 15 Cruises, 86 Nights, 12 Ships, 4 Cruise Lines,19 Ports of Call, 6 Embarkation Ports
Carnival Sunshine 10/2016 - 5 Night Canada, Carnival Dream 5/2016 - 7 Night Western, Carnival Splendor 4/2015 - 7 Night Eastern, Ruby Princess 3/2014 - 5 Night Western, Norwegian Jewel 10/2013 - 7 Night Western, Carnival Freedom 8/2013 - 6 Night Western, Norwegian Epic 12/2011 - 7 Night Eastern, Carnival Glory 7/2011 - 5 Night Canada, Carnival Destiny 11/2010 -4 Night Western, Carnival Freedom 7/2009-8 Night Eastern, Norwegian Jewel 11/2007-5 Night Western, Carnival Elation 12/2006-5 Night Eastern, Carnival Inspiration 11/2005-5 Night Western, Disney Magic 6/2004-7 Night Eastern, Disney Wonder 11/2001-3 Night Bahamas