Cosol Tours Island Tour

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:49 PM.
Charlotte, NC
2,651 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Originally posted by Giantfan13
Just a word of warning. This tour does go thru some very step very winding mountain roads. MY DW did get a bit car sick, so if anyone is prone to that, be forewarned.

Cheers

Len

I agree - it was a little unnerving at times, too! But we were prepared and took a dose of meclizine prior and all was well

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

9/2012 - Carnival Victory
5/2012 - Carnival Elation
6/2011 - Carnival Fascination
London, Ontario
1,811 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
My wife and I did this tour about 3 years ago and thought it was fantastic. For those going to the island for the first time, I highly recommend Cosol. I am going back to St. Lucia again this Christmas and will likely take my daughters on with Cosol that visit. I had considered doing one of the other highly rated excursions that are similar but have more of a boat component to them but am not crazy about paying an extra $25-$35 per person (times six) for this.

I recommended Cosol to a buddy who did it with his family last year and he said it was the best tour he took on his cruise. I thought the meal was outstanding and different and there was so much extra food left over they were begging us to eat it. When my buddy went a year later he said that Cosol had so many vans there that the food got picked over FAST and they ran out. Keep this in mind if you do the tour - grab the food fast if you can in case this happens to you. The rum punch they served was THE BEST drink I have ever had. If I could buy it and take it onto the ship to take home, I would have ordered a barrel of it. Too strong for many people, but all the more for me.

We missed out on the waterfall when we went since a bad storm came through and washed out the road to it. Roads curve a lot but never felt sick in the vehicle like others reported. LOTS of stops on the way. Would have liked more time at the stops but I fully realized that there was so much to see and only so much time. We got back to the port with about 45 minutes to spare and were dropped at the shopping area right outside the ship.

Cannot say enough positive things about Cosol and I hope we get to experience his tour with our kids again later this year.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Freedom of the Seas - March 12, 2017
Freedom of the Seas - March 13, 2016
Allure of the Seas - March 15, 2015
Independence of the Seas - March 9, 2014
Celebrity Summit - December 28, 2013
Oasis of the Seas - March 9, 2013
Liberty of the Seas - March 12, 2012
Carnival Valor - March 13, 2011
Norwegian Spirit - March 10, 2007
Norwegian Sun - March 8, 2003
KY, USA
46 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Question for those of you that have done private tours with COSOL. How much is appropriate to tip the guide? 15%? 20%?

This is the first time we've done a private tour and it will just be my wife and I. Any recommendations would be appreciated!
wisconsin
1,232 Posts
Joined Oct 2014
We did a private tour and we tipped about 20%.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mary

Harmony of the Seas - Lg. Family Cruise - 2017
Adventure of the Seas - 2016
Liberty of the Seas - 2015
Oasis of the Seas - 2015
Enchantment of the Seas 2014 - Lg. Family Cruise
Monarch of the Seas 2009 - Lg. Family Cruise
Carnival Valor - 2004
Carnival Elation - 1999
Winnipeg, Canada
49 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
We are also booked on a private tour, as our ship anchors off Pigeon Island. This appears to be the reason he only offered private. Does the private tour join up with the caravan, or are we lagged behind?

D.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past Cruises

Norewegian Crown 1996
Norwegian Dream 1997
RCL Majesty of the Seas 1998
Carnival Ecstasy 2000
The Norway 2001
RCL Monarch 2002
Celebrity Century 2006
NCL Jewel 2013
Carnival Valour 2014
Hal Alaska 2014
Oceania Riviera 2015

And I think we did NCL Leeward at some point but can't remember when!
Toronto On. Canada
5,876 Posts
Joined Mar 2003
I ( single passenger) am thinking of taking this tour.

I do not swim. At the mud bath and swim/snorkel stops is there a place to sit while waiting for the others in the van.

How long a stop do they give you at the mud bath and swim?
wisconsin
1,232 Posts
Joined Oct 2014
Originally posted by phabric
I ( single passenger) am thinking of taking this tour.

I do not swim. At the mud bath and swim/snorkel stops is there a place to sit while waiting for the others in the van.

How long a stop do they give you at the mud bath and swim?
We were at the mud bath about 45 minutes and the beach stop by the pitons for an hour. You do not need to swim for either of these activities, but yes there is a place to wait for the others.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mary

Harmony of the Seas - Lg. Family Cruise - 2017
Adventure of the Seas - 2016
Liberty of the Seas - 2015
Oasis of the Seas - 2015
Enchantment of the Seas 2014 - Lg. Family Cruise
Monarch of the Seas 2009 - Lg. Family Cruise
Carnival Valor - 2004
Carnival Elation - 1999
Illinois
74 Posts
Joined Dec 2007
Just returned from our cruise and we did use Cosol tours for the day. Our driver was Baptist and he was great, Very knowledgable about the island. The van held about 12 of us and enough room. The roads are not very wide and agree with other posts about the winding roads. Would recommend the company for a lans tour
88 Posts
Joined Feb 2017
Originally posted by rzmz89
Just returned from our cruise and we did use Cosol tours for the day. Our driver was Baptist and he was great, Very knowledgable about the island. The van held about 12 of us and enough room. The roads are not very wide and agree with other posts about the winding roads. Would recommend the company for a lans tour

Hello, Im thinking of booking, where did you lunch ?
Charlotte, NC
2,651 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Originally posted by menis
Hello, Im thinking of booking, where did you lunch ?

Lunch is actually at someone's home - tables set up on the patio/driveway with a variety of local foods to sample. Enough to make a decent meal! There was also a stop to get fresh bread and cheese

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

North Carolina
28 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
We did the tour with Cosol 10 years ago and I still talk about it. It was the best tour of any that we have been on. It seems like it has changed some but not too much. The cost has about doubled since then but that is to be expected. We also had Yellow Bird and he was very pleasant and entertaining. Enjoy!!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
  1. CARNIVAL GLORY 5/04
  2. CARNIVAL TRIUMPH 4/05
  3. CARNIVAL DESTINY 6/07
  4. CARNIVAL FASCINATION 9/09

9 Posts
Joined Feb 2017
Hi can anyone tell me what the boat ride is like from Castries to the pitons on a land and water trip, one of our party suffers from vertigo so just wondering if the sea is rough or if the speed of the boat makes is very bouncy.
Thanks
St. Lucia, West Indies
3,374 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
Originally posted by barbara01
Hi can anyone tell me what the boat ride is like from Castries to the pitons on a land and water trip, one of our party suffers from vertigo so just wondering if the sea is rough or if the speed of the boat makes is very bouncy.
Thanks
Probably best to ask in a new post as its unrelated to Cosol's tour
The ride via sea very much depends on what type of boat you go via and Sea conditions that day - which are quite tough to predict in advance. A large catamaran will be smoother than a small speedboat, but both will be rough rides if the seas are rough... Best to have your friend/party member be prepared for the worst and hope for the best. Or consider different excursions. Good luck.
Fort Dodge, Iowa
318 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
We just did this tour last week and I highly recommend it. Everyone in our group of 21 enjoyed it. Was a great tour!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Sensation 11/25/2012
Costa Antlantica - March 2010
Norwegian Sky - March 2009
Holland American Westerdam - February 2007
Avondale, AZ, USA
52 Posts
Joined Apr 2001
For those who have taken the tour with Cosol, how close to the "all-aboard" time (not the actual sailing time) were you back onboard? What happens if there is a traffic delay (or anything else, for that matter), that causes you to arrive after the ship has sailed? I have read that most third party tour operators guarantee that you will be returned to the ship on time, but what exactly does that mean? What do they do for you if, heaven forbid, the ship sails without you? I am seriously considering this tour, but need some facts/reassurance to present to my skeptical husband.
It's my fault -- I have to stop entertaining him with the "pier runner" videos on YouTube.
Charlotte, NC
2,651 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
We were back in plenty of time to walk around the shops in the port area and take our time boarding with time to spare. They've been doing it long enough to know how to schedule the tour and I have never heard of Cosol returning anyone late. As to their guarantee. Not sure what that entails l.....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

St. Lucia, West Indies
3,374 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
Originally posted by Tantsee
For those who have taken the tour with Cosol, how close to the "all-aboard" time (not the actual sailing time) were you back onboard? What happens if there is a traffic delay (or anything else, for that matter), that causes you to arrive after the ship has sailed? I have read that most third party tour operators guarantee that you will be returned to the ship on time, but what exactly does that mean? What do they do for you if, heaven forbid, the ship sails without you? I am seriously considering this tour, but need some facts/reassurance to present to my skeptical husband.
It's my fault -- I have to stop entertaining him with the "pier runner" videos on YouTube.
You'd have to check with Cosol for what his specific guarantee may be.

In general, many operators offer a guarantee similar to the cruise line, that is: they get you back on time, or they are responsible for getting you to the next port of call, with any attendant costs.

It's quite rare for people to miss the ship due to reputable independent operators. Those pier runners are more often those who've been browsing or shopping or drinking on their own and lost track of time, or those who didn't pay attention to ship time vs local time, etc. Independent operators make their living with cruise visitors - getting people back late would put them out of business!!
Keep in mind, the shop can't always wait for their guests either. Their guarantee is to get you back on time, or to get you to the next port of call...Sometimes, the ship can't wait, ie tides, distance to travel, port personnel, etc.

On a small island like St Lucia, it would take something pretty extraordinary to have a tour operator get you back late - and it would affect more than one operator, including those contracted to the ship tours...

I wouldn't hesitate, Cosol has been doing this for many, many years - how many reviews have you read of him getting his guests back late??
Enjoy
Binghamton, NY
1,062 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
Originally posted by EMS8
John,

Yes, plenty of restroom stops. I know what you mean!
Take plenty of small bills as they like to be tipped at the bathroom stops.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
KAYE