Port of Seattle launches free airport luggage service

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

West Coast Departures

Honolulu, Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, San Francisco, Vancouver
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 07:19 PM.
Phoenix,AZ
10,279 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
Originally posted by Love the beach
I don't think so. You don't actually get your luggage...it's just that if customs decides they want to inspect yours the luggage can be retrieved and it's still early enough to then get it to the airport along with all the others for the flights.
Oh , OK....so it isn't really routine to have your luggage pulled. It is just something that MIGHT happen.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sean
Brooklyn, NY
2,489 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
Originally posted by Tinknock50
Oh , OK....so it isn't really routine to have your luggage pulled. It is just something that MIGHT happen.
Yes, just like it MIGHT while you are doing a regular disembarkation with your luggage in tow.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

HAL Amsterdam 7/17/2017 14 night Alaska
HAL OOsterdam 9/16/16 12 night Eastern Med
HAL Koningsdam 8/14/16, 14 night Northern Isles
HAL Oosterdam 2/19/2016 10 day Southern Caribbean
RCCL Freedom of the Seas 5/24/2015 7 night Western Caribbean
HAL Noordam 10/8/14, 11 night Mediterranean
Carnival Splendor 4/18/14, 8 night Caribbean
HAL Nieuw Amsterdam 2/24/13, 14 day Caribbean
RCCL Navigator of the Seas 1/29/12 14 day Caribbean
Disney Dream 11/6/11 4 day Bahamas
HAL Noordam 9/5/11 20 day Mediterranean
HAL Noordam 2/15/11 10 day Southern Caribbean
Princess Crown Princess 8/22/10 12 day British Isles
HAL Noordam 1/24/2010 10 day Southern Caribbean
HAL Statendam 8/16/09 14 day BtoB Alaska
HAL Zuiderdam 1/28/09 So. Caribbean & Panama Canal
Hal Eurodam 8/29/08 -3 day NY Introduction
HAL Noordam 1/26/2008 Southern Caribbean
HAL Noordam 1/27/2007 Southern Caribbean
Carnival Legend Of The Seas 7/7/2006 Eastern Caribbean
RCCL Majesty Of The Seas 1/22/2000 Southern Caribbean
RCCL Majesty Of The Seas 2/14/1999 Western Caribbean
RCCL Monarch OF The Seas 6/7/1998 Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Inspiration 10/20/1996 Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Fascination 1994 Eastern Caribbean
Celebrity Horizon ?? Bermuda
Cunard QE2 1980's
Chandris Galileo 1980's
Chandris Amerikannis 1980's
Chandris Britannis 1980's
Phoenix,AZ
10,279 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
Originally posted by Love the beach
Yes, just like it MIGHT while you are doing a regular disembarkation with your luggage in tow.
That's good ....thanks.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sean
Las Vegas
64 Posts
Joined Nov 2010
Has anybody used the free airport luggage service yet and if so how did it work? It is a great idea and if it is working I might get a later flight out of Seattle after my cruise. Would be nice to spend a little time in the city and not have to worry about hauling luggage.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Phoenix,AZ
10,279 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
Originally posted by bardo
Has anybody used the free airport luggage service yet and if so how did it work? It is a great idea and if it is working I might get a later flight out of Seattle after my cruise. Would be nice to spend a little time in the city and not have to worry about hauling luggage.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
I am also hoping for some feedback before I leave in 3weeks. When do you sail?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sean
Las Vegas
64 Posts
Joined Nov 2010
I am also hoping for some feedback before I leave in 3weeks. When do you sail?
I sail August 28 so have more time than you to learn more about it.
Barb
Phoenix,AZ
10,279 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
Originally posted by bardo
I sail August 28 so have more time than you to learn more about it.
Barb
I will let you know how it goes if I use it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sean
Phoenix,AZ
10,279 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
Originally posted by JudithLynne
It does not surprise me that the progressive city of Seattle, home of the Seahawks, is doing this.....good job!
Of course, it is not actually "free". I am sure the high Hotel fees visitors helps pay for it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sean
Cincinnati. OH-Go Reds
5,615 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
I think Holland America and Princess just started sailing out of Seattle this week; so hopefully people who are on those ships will chime in if they use the service
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Phoenix,AZ
10,279 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
Originally posted by AF-1
I think Holland America and Princess just started sailing out of Seattle this week; so hopefully people who are on those ships will chime in if they use the service
They started last week (or was it the week before that?) Anyway your point is well made because not many have been able to partake of this service to gauge how it is working.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sean
Brooklyn, NY
2,489 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
I will let you know how it goes if I use it.
That would be great....we are waiting to hear from people as to how it goes.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

HAL Amsterdam 7/17/2017 14 night Alaska
HAL OOsterdam 9/16/16 12 night Eastern Med
HAL Koningsdam 8/14/16, 14 night Northern Isles
HAL Oosterdam 2/19/2016 10 day Southern Caribbean
RCCL Freedom of the Seas 5/24/2015 7 night Western Caribbean
HAL Noordam 10/8/14, 11 night Mediterranean
Carnival Splendor 4/18/14, 8 night Caribbean
HAL Nieuw Amsterdam 2/24/13, 14 day Caribbean
RCCL Navigator of the Seas 1/29/12 14 day Caribbean
Disney Dream 11/6/11 4 day Bahamas
HAL Noordam 9/5/11 20 day Mediterranean
HAL Noordam 2/15/11 10 day Southern Caribbean
Princess Crown Princess 8/22/10 12 day British Isles
HAL Noordam 1/24/2010 10 day Southern Caribbean
HAL Statendam 8/16/09 14 day BtoB Alaska
HAL Zuiderdam 1/28/09 So. Caribbean & Panama Canal
Hal Eurodam 8/29/08 -3 day NY Introduction
HAL Noordam 1/26/2008 Southern Caribbean
HAL Noordam 1/27/2007 Southern Caribbean
Carnival Legend Of The Seas 7/7/2006 Eastern Caribbean
RCCL Majesty Of The Seas 1/22/2000 Southern Caribbean
RCCL Majesty Of The Seas 2/14/1999 Western Caribbean
RCCL Monarch OF The Seas 6/7/1998 Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Inspiration 10/20/1996 Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Fascination 1994 Eastern Caribbean
Celebrity Horizon ?? Bermuda
Cunard QE2 1980's
Chandris Galileo 1980's
Chandris Amerikannis 1980's
Chandris Britannis 1980's
Phoenix,AZ
10,279 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
Originally posted by robincorn
Anyone knows if this covers all airlines. I am flying Spirit Air (I know but it is the best timed nonstop to BWI) and would love to lose the luggage.
The phone number for "Bags Inc" is 407-849-0670.

Ok ....I called them..... it is only available on American, Alaska, Jet Blu, United , Southwest and Delta for flights leaving at 11:00 or later.

Here is the link to sign up online but you can also do it on board ship...https://www.maketraveleasier.com/bagsvip

This program will be fully operational by the end of May.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sean
Georgia
190 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
Tinknock50, is this the same program? My understanding is this will be a free service just for the Seattle Sea Ports. The link you have lists bag fees. According to the Commission Agenda PDF, it would be available to passengers flying all major airlines, whatever 'major' means. I think last year was a pilot program for Delta flights only.

http://www.portseattle.org/ABOUT/COM...4_11_RM_6c.pdf
Phoenix,AZ
10,279 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
Originally posted by jk04
Tinknock50, is this the same program? My understanding is this will be a free service just for the Seattle Sea Ports. The link you have lists bag fees. According to the Commission Agenda PDF, it would be available to passengers flying all major airlines, whatever 'major' means. I think last year was a pilot program for Delta flights only.

http://www.portseattle.org/ABOUT/COM...4_11_RM_6c.pdf
I asked specifically about the free Seattle program. My previous post is exactly what he told me regarding airlines , etc. He read the list to me on the phone.

I see your are right about that link.....you don't want "Bags VIP", that is the one with the charge.. Maybe the free one is somewhere else on the site. If push came to shove, you could just wait until you get onboard.....probably just as effective anyway. It is not like only so many people are allowed to book it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sean
Phoenix,AZ
10,279 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
I asked specifically about the free Seattle program. My previous post is exactly what he told me regarding airlines , etc. He read the list to me on the phone.

I see your are right about that link.....you don't want "Bags VIP", that is the one with the charge.. Maybe the free one is somewhere else on the site. If push came to shove, you could just wait until you get onboard.....probably just as effective anyway. It is not like only so many people are allowed to book it.
Just called again. Apparently the website is not updated yet. Since they said the program will be fully operational by the end of the month, I would wait till then to try to book online.

Personally, I will wait until I am on the ship anyway....just as easy.

Also got confirmation on which airlines will use this. It is the same as my earlier post.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sean
Georgia
190 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
Just called again. Apparently the website is not updated yet. Since they said the program will be fully operational by the end of the month, I would wait till then to try to book online.

Personally, I will wait until I am on the ship anyway....just as easy.

Also got confirmation on which airlines will use this. It is the same as my earlier post.
Thanks for following-up on that, it is much appreciated!!

I noticed on the Port of Seattle website, there is a terse description about the service. I am glad to see the the Concierge information for luggage storage. Bit of a hike back if storing at Pier 91, so using storage at Pier 66 will probably be more convenient. Another CC member said the Edgewater Hotel will store luggage longer term. Haven't had a chance to call them to find out if they are still offering the service this year.

On Board Airline Check-in

Please check with your cruise line for availability of onboard airline check-in and luggage handling that allows guests to check in for their airline flight, print boarding passes and check their luggage; all while still on board their ship.

Concierge

The cruise terminal concierge offers luggage storage after cruises, plus city information. Hours of operation are 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. on cruise days only.
Phoenix,AZ
10,279 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
Originally posted by jk04

Concierge

The cruise terminal concierge offers luggage storage after cruises, plus city information. Hours of operation are 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. on cruise days only.
I didn't see that about luggage storage before. I agree I would not want to trek back to 91. We can only put one bag out for the pre-check in, so it would be good if the Edgewater would hold them while we trekked up the hill to the Space Needle.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sean
Cincinnati. OH-Go Reds
5,615 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
Since I don't leave until July, I will wait to hear from people in June who had success with it. I will book it once onboard. I plan on spending entire day in Seattle since my flight home does not leave till 1030pm
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Hays, NC USA
133 Posts
Joined May 2003
We disembarked from the Ruby princess yesterday (may 20) and used the port's Free luggage service. We were flying out of SeaTac on Delta at 1:10 and were told this was the first week to use this service. It worked perfectly for us. We had to fill out the request and flight info to return it to customer service desk by Monday noon (Juneau port day). On Friday evening we had our luggage tags and our boarding passes. Your Stewart will even weigh your luggage if you need them to. We used the princess transfer from port to SeaTac and was dropped off at the terminals. We were able to go straight to TSA check in. WHen we arrived in Charlotte, NC last night, our luggage arrived with us. There were no issues and was very pleased. It was nice to disembark and not have to look for our luggage.