Wind Spirit in Bora Bora

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Windstar Cruises
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:50 AM.
1,211 Posts
Joined Jun 2003
We love French Polynesia and visit as often as we can, most recently in May. Huahine is our favorite island but a very close 2nd is Moorea.

Moorea is very easy to drive around....it's impossible to get lost. Make sure you drive up to the Belvedere where you can see both Opunahu and Cook's Bay. There's an agricultural school on the way up the mountain where you can stop for homemade jams and ice cream. Good reasonably priced lunch place is Les Tipaniers. Lovely beach and nice outlook. The Hilton offers the best snorkeling in a terrific setting but I think they charge a day use fee. I believe the fee includes lunch and use of SUPs and kayaks.

Huahine is so laid back and authenticly Polynesian. Very little tourism there which is part of the reason we love it. You'll find friendly local folks at the tender dock offering tours if you haven't pre-booked one. Our favorite is Manava. If you're into snorkeling and shark/ray feeding as well as an island tour, Huahine Nautique has a website where you can book their excursion with lunch on a motu which is good fun with great food!

If you're wanting a local experience on Raiatea, the snack at the pier has the best chow mein for a reasonable price and cold Hinanos! The local market is adjacent to the pier.

Any other questions, just ask.
Quebec
936 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
Non, non, non,

Le best chow mien is at the roulotte in Papeete . :-)

And another good spot in Moorea is le snack mahana.

Enjoy your time in paradise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
SeaEscape-Scandinavian Dawn - March 1990
Windstar-Wind Surf -December 2012
Windstar-Wind Surf - December 2013
Celebrity-Constellation - March 2014
Windstar-Wind Star - December 2014
Celebrity-Constellation - March 2015
Celebrity-Summit - January 2016
Celebrity-Constellation - August 2016
Windstar-Wind Spirit - July 2017
Celebrity-Silhouette - February 2018
California
92 Posts
Joined Oct 2016
So, I've been meaning to ask. . . How is Hinano beer? Assuming it's a lager? What well-known beer would it be most similar to?
Quebec
936 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
ia orana everyone

Wind Spirit has the Heineken draft on tap for 5$us most day, pool bar.

There is a local bar in downtown Papeete that sell locally brewed beer (on premise). It's call "Les Trois Brasseurs". Just in front of the pier (2 minute walk tops). http://www.3brasseurs-pacific.com/

And, if you have time, you can have dinner or lunch at LE RETRO, a good restaurant facing the waterfront (and the traffic!), where a great Franco-american singer, Joe Dassin, died in 1980 (https://www.tahitiheritage.pf/chez-joe-dassin/).

I just finished two books I bought at the James Norman Hall House in Papeete (he's the co-author of the Mutiny on the bounty). First one is his autobiography and the second is titled "Running on Empty". Very good read and I can say that a lot of thing haven't changed there since the 30's.

Manuia!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
SeaEscape-Scandinavian Dawn - March 1990
Windstar-Wind Surf -December 2012
Windstar-Wind Surf - December 2013
Celebrity-Constellation - March 2014
Windstar-Wind Star - December 2014
Celebrity-Constellation - March 2015
Celebrity-Summit - January 2016
Celebrity-Constellation - August 2016
Windstar-Wind Spirit - July 2017
Celebrity-Silhouette - February 2018
California
92 Posts
Joined Oct 2016
Thanks, Vaitape! I was hoping you'd say it was most similar to Heineken, LOL! We are not fans of Miller or Coors, so we may end up sticking to water (or rum punch, if offered) on those excursions with motu picnics. I have no doubt we'll be happy with the offerings on the ship itself.
1,211 Posts
Joined Jun 2003
vlaurend: oh well, try one bottle and see what you think.

AND, most definitely, have some Tahiti Drink....nectar of the Gods!! It's available in all markets. Comes in a liter container (like a milk container) but be aware, it's not just fruit juice!

And talking about Tahiti Drink, if you have a rental car, make a quick a visit to the Manutea Tahiti Rotui Juice Factory and Distillery on Moorea. Good tastings plus Tahiti Drink is a little cheaper there. Closed on Sundays and holidays.
California
92 Posts
Joined Oct 2016
Originally posted by vaitape
vlaurend: oh well, try one bottle and see what you think.

AND, most definitely, have some Tahiti Drink....nectar of the Gods!! It's available in all markets. Comes in a liter container (like a milk container) but be aware, it's not just fruit juice!

And talking about Tahiti Drink, if you have a rental car, make a quick a visit to the Manutea Tahiti Rotui Juice Factory and Distillery on Moorea. Good tastings plus Tahiti Drink is a little cheaper there. Closed on Sundays and holidays.
Wait, what? What is this "Tahiti Drink" of which you speak? What is in the Tahiti Drink? I have heard of the Rotui Juice Factory, but where is it, exactly? We will be renting a car, so can definiwtly work it into our Moorea day.
1,211 Posts
Joined Jun 2003
vlaurend: easily found. Big sign on the road. It's mountain side between Cook's Bay and the Hilton. Do Google for a better description/map.

Tahiti Drink is a concoction of Moorea pineapple, passion fruit, mango, papaya juices, vanilla and rhum and some other flavors. Once tasted, always remembered and sought after.....

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Fr...xOADwQ8gEIJTAA

Send us some please....our stash is long gone....