Everything Half Moon Cay

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Private Islands
Disney's Castaway Cay, Carnival Corp.'s Grand Turk & Half Moon Cay, RCI's Labadee & Coco Cay, Princess Cays etc.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 05:22 PM.
Centerville, Ohio, USA
8,653 Posts
Joined Apr 2002
Patronizing the "I Could Stay Here Forever" Bar: overlooks the beach, the beautiful water, and the ship.

Listening to the music at the Bar at the entrance plaza

Glass Bottom Boat Trip

Walking along the Beach and wading in the ocean
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
52 cruises: 31 Holland America, 4 Princess, 4 Carnival, 3 Pacific Far East Line, 2 Cunard, 2 Royal Viking Line, 1 each: Celebrity Cruises, NCL, Royal Caribbean, Sitmar, American Hawaii, Home Lines
NC
266 Posts
Joined Oct 2016
We had a cabana booked but lost it when we switched sailings. I've never heard a bad thing about them. Now we'll probably just rent a clamshell and lounge on the beach. We have a toddler, so many excursions are out for us. I'm crossing my fingers that weather is calm so we get there!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
sailed...Carnival Ecstasy 8/2017
next up... Disney World on dry land
then... Carnival Conquest 1/2018!
Raleigh, NC
213 Posts
Joined Apr 2017
Originally posted by bmetz34
We had a cabana booked but lost it when we switched sailings. I've never heard a bad thing about them. Now we'll probably just rent a clamshell and lounge on the beach. We have a toddler, so many excursions are out for us. I'm crossing my fingers that weather is calm so we get there!

Do you know how much the Clamshell rentals are? It seems to be a very beautiful place. I can't wait. Seeing that it is a Carnival owed island. If you decide not to do an excursion. I was wondering what else is there to do. Can you explore the island by yourself?
NC
266 Posts
Joined Oct 2016
I think the clamshell are maybe $30? You let them know when you get there where you want one. We are looking for a beach bum day. I believe there are non motorized water equipment you can rent. If you wanted to explore the island, there are bike and motorized tour excursions. I'd go with one of those if it were me.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
sailed...Carnival Ecstasy 8/2017
next up... Disney World on dry land
then... Carnival Conquest 1/2018!
Raleigh, NC
213 Posts
Joined Apr 2017
Originally posted by bmetz34
I think the clamshell are maybe $30? You let them know when you get there where you want one. We are looking for a beach bum day. I believe there are non motorized water equipment you can rent. If you wanted to explore the island, there are bike and motorized tour excursions. I'd go with one of those if it were me.

Yeah. I really want this trip to be great for my husband because he has never been on a cruise. Most of the islands I have been to have so much going on. This is the first island I have been to that is chill. I just hope he enjoys it. I am looking at excursions too.
Centerville, Ohio, USA
8,653 Posts
Joined Apr 2002
Originally posted by gottaluvcruises12
Do you know how much the Clamshell rentals are? It seems to be a very beautiful place. I can't wait. Seeing that it is a Carnival owed island. If you decide not to do an excursion. I was wondering what else is there to do. Can you explore the island by yourself?
Explore the island by yourself? Absolutely. I know people who have walked nearly the entire distance around the bay where the ships anchor.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
52 cruises: 31 Holland America, 4 Princess, 4 Carnival, 3 Pacific Far East Line, 2 Cunard, 2 Royal Viking Line, 1 each: Celebrity Cruises, NCL, Royal Caribbean, Sitmar, American Hawaii, Home Lines
Raleigh, NC
213 Posts
Joined Apr 2017
Originally posted by rkacruiser
Explore the island by yourself? Absolutely. I know people who have walked nearly the entire distance around the bay where the ships anchor.

Good to know. Is there a lot to look at. I know it is a beautiful island.
Ohio
442 Posts
Joined Jan 2006
We did the sting ray excursion. It was $40 a person and we had 20 minutes to swim in the area with the rays and other sea life. We then got into a circle and the guide helped us feed the rays. It didn't last very long but it was a great way to give the kids a taste of swimming with the rays. Since a couple of the kids didn't enjoy it as much as me, I know not to take them to Sting Ray City in Grand Cayman. For us, it was worth the money for the excursion. One nice bonus, a ship photographer was taking pictures during the excursion.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Enchantment of the Seas- July 2006
Mariner of the Seas-August 2008
Adventure of the Seas-June 2016
Carnival Conquest-June 2017
Freedom of the Seas-June 2018
New York
232 Posts
Joined Nov 2011
Originally posted by gottaluvcruises12
This thread has a price list. It may have changed because it's from last year, but I wouldn't it changed that much.
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...hlight=lockers
milwaukee wisconsin
538 Posts
Joined Sep 2009
Could someone post a picture of what a clamshell looks like? We've never cruised the Caribbean and are looking to do this coming Feb.
Raleigh, NC
213 Posts
Joined Apr 2017
Please delete this post.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming:
Carnival Splendor September 14, 2017

Past:
Carnival Fantasy 2015
Carnival Victory 2013
Carnival Destiny 2008
Raleigh, NC
213 Posts
Joined Apr 2017
Originally posted by Paulinda
Could someone post a picture of what a clamshell looks like? We've never cruised the Caribbean and are looking to do this coming Feb.

Check out this video.

Also you can youtube the islands you are going to, to learn more about them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ita0Rtn138&t=4s
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming:

Past:
Carnival Fantasy 2015
Carnival Victory 2013
Carnival Destiny 2008
milwaukee wisconsin
538 Posts
Joined Sep 2009
Thank you for the Youtube idea! Do they rent the clam shells at the beach site or do you do so on the ship? Is it worth renting one, it does appear that you have a bit more privacy as all the loungers look like they are all in long rows inches apart.
Raleigh, NC
213 Posts
Joined Apr 2017
Originally posted by Paulinda
Thank you for the Youtube idea! Do they rent the clam shells at the beach site or do you do so on the ship? Is it worth renting one, it does appear that you have a bit more privacy as all the loungers look like they are all in long rows inches apart.

Yeah it does. It is still open in the front but it will give you some shade. Some people say you don't really get a breeze when you are under it. In the Caribbean it is all sun unless it is a cloudy day. If you get hot or aren't use to sun and want shade. I would suggest you get one. You can move the loungers around. From my understanding if you walk down a ways you can spread out a little more not be on top of each other. Some people put the loungers at the edge of the water. A lot people rent the tubs or the mats to float on. We will probably get one when we go.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming:

Past:
Carnival Fantasy 2015
Carnival Victory 2013
Carnival Destiny 2008
Spring Hill, FL
382 Posts
Joined May 2004
We have been there a few times and always rent a clamshell. We will be there again in November and just reserved our clamshell thru the HAL excursions. Once we get to the Ship we will have our voucher waiting in our Cabin which we bring with us to Half Moon and our clamshell is waiting for us with 2 lounge chairs. It is well worth it!!!! The attendants on Half Moon will set up the clam shell wherever we want to. Perfect day at the beach, great BBQ lunch, and incredible water - truly the best spot of the entire Cruise!!!!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Gloria
20 Posts
Joined Sep 2004
I was also wondering if you could wander around the island on your own. I see there are walking tours and bike tours as excursions (like there are trails). Can you walk them on your own?
Raleigh, NC
213 Posts
Joined Apr 2017
Originally posted by kcdd
I was also wondering if you could wander around the island on your own. I see there are walking tours and bike tours as excursions (like there are trails). Can you walk them on your own?

From my understanding yes. I go on the cruise Sept 14 so I will know then.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming:

Past:
Carnival Fantasy 2015
Carnival Victory 2013
Carnival Destiny 2008
Florida
2,412 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
We grab a hammock and order drinks - fun and relaxing day.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Wayfairers
12/06 RC Navigator of the Seas - 7d Eastern Caribbean
01/08 HAL Ryndam - 30d Hawaii/South Pacific
03/08 Carnival Spirit - 7d Mexican Riviera
06/08 Princess Sapphire - 10d Alaska
01/09 Celebrity Galaxy - 10d Southern Caribbbean
10/11 HAL Maasdam - 45d Atlantic Adventurer (RT FLL to Europe)
05/14 Carnival Legend - 7d Western Caribbean
06/14 Carnival Conquest - 7d Eastern Caribbean
07/15 HAL Veendam - 1st 18d of Voyage of the Vikings (Boston-Amsterdam)
10/15 Norwegian Spirit - 28d Transatlantic (Venice-Orlando)
01/16 HAL Rotterdam - 89d Passage to the Far East

Looking forward to.....
01/19 HAL Prinsendam- 80d Grand South America and Antarctica Voyage