Vigie Beach

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 04:21 AM.
North Dakota
2,469 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
HI All~ since I was very curious, and couldn't find a lot of information about Vigie Beach, I made a quick video when I made the trip to it last cruise. I thought if anyone is interested in the beach, you might like to see the video and read my mini review that I copied from my video upload. Any questions, please ask.

"I am uploading this video because in the cruise world Vigie Beach does not get a lot of notice, but a lot of people ask about it because it looks like a close walk from the cruise port. It is walkable, but you can't go across the airport, so you do have to go around the airport. Like any airport it is closed off by a fence. It took us about 30 minutes to walk to it, it's an easy flat walk and we enjoyed it. The beach wasn't really worth the walk, unless you enjoy just walking and enjoying the view. We did not swim or get in the water, there were no facilities to change, no chairs to rent or snacks to be had anywhere. It was a nice quiet walk to the beach and lovely to walk the beach. It did seem like the beach would be fine for some wading and people at the resort down the beach were doing water activities. It did not seem to be maintained much, although there was a grounds crew there cleaning when we were there. The beach rests against a graveyard to the point where it seemed a few graves had washed into the beach in years past, maybe hurricanes. It was a picturesque grave yard and we did walk thru it. We also went to the right (facing the ocean) and walked into the resort area for the resort that was there. We walked thru the resort to get back to the road and a guard at the road was quite upset that we walk thru the resort, we explained there were no signs and no one told us we couldn't walk there. The grounds of the resort were quite nice. Would I go there again, probably not, am I glad I went, yes, it was fun to see a new part of the island. A side note, when we were back to the road, instead of going back to the port, we went more thru the town area, noticed we were really alone, a guy who seemed to be an American who lived there, told us we were in a really bad area and we should head right back to port. He walked with us aways. I didn't not feel unsafe in the beach area or on the way, only when we veered into town."
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
sonadora
63 days at sea and counting...

Carnival Fascination Jan 22 2017
Adventure of the Seas Jan 14 2017
Carnival Glory Jan 10 2015
Carnival Glory Jan 3 2015
Adventure of the Seas Jan 13 2013
Victory Feb 2011
Victory Jan 2009
Voyager of the Seas Feb 3rd 2007
Holiday Jan 5th 2002
St. Lucia, West Indies
3,372 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
Originally posted by seashinesunshine
HI All~ since I was very curious, and couldn't find a lot of information about Vigie Beach, I made a quick video when I made the trip to it last cruise. I thought if anyone is interested in the beach, you might like to see the video and read my mini review that I copied from my video upload. Any questions, please ask.

"I am uploading this video because in the cruise world Vigie Beach does not get a lot of notice, but a lot of people ask about it because it looks like a close walk from the cruise port. It is walkable, but you can't go across the airport, so you do have to go around the airport. Like any airport it is closed off by a fence. It took us about 30 minutes to walk to it, it's an easy flat walk and we enjoyed it. The beach wasn't really worth the walk, unless you enjoy just walking and enjoying the view. We did not swim or get in the water, there were no facilities to change, no chairs to rent or snacks to be had anywhere. It was a nice quiet walk to the beach and lovely to walk the beach. It did seem like the beach would be fine for some wading and people at the resort down the beach were doing water activities. It did not seem to be maintained much, although there was a grounds crew there cleaning when we were there. The beach rests against a graveyard to the point where it seemed a few graves had washed into the beach in years past, maybe hurricanes. It was a picturesque grave yard and we did walk thru it. We also went to the right (facing the ocean) and walked into the resort area for the resort that was there. We walked thru the resort to get back to the road and a guard at the road was quite upset that we walk thru the resort, we explained there were no signs and no one told us we couldn't walk there. The grounds of the resort were quite nice. Would I go there again, probably not, am I glad I went, yes, it was fun to see a new part of the island. A side note, when we were back to the road, instead of going back to the port, we went more thru the town area, noticed we were really alone, a guy who seemed to be an American who lived there, told us we were in a really bad area and we should head right back to port. He walked with us aways. I didn't not feel unsafe in the beach area or on the way, only when we veered into town."
Interesting review. When did you visit Vigie Beach? I ask, as Vigie installed and opened a Boardwalk in Dec 2016 that has 6-8 small local restaurants and bars/snack bars, two sets of restrooms, showers and changing spaces, several chair vendors, etc. However, you have to walk down past the graveyard towards the entrance of the airport, maybe another 10 minute walk....
Rendezvous is the resort located before the graveyard. It's and adult and couples only resort. Their day pass is reasonably economical for those interested in such things...
And yeah, best to stick to the "highway" when going back and forth.
Hope you enjoyed your visit. Perhaps next time, you'll make it all the way down to the facilities available on Vigie. Or maybe explore some other lesser known areas..
Happy sails!!
Cabot, AR
1,620 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
My husband will be scuba diving when we are in St. Lucia. Is Vigie a safe place for me to go on my own?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
March 2018-- Fascination-- St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Kitts, St. Lucia, St. Maarten
March 2016--Valor--Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, Costa Maya
March 2015-- Jewel of the Seas-- St. Thomas, St. Croix, Antigua, St. Lucia, Grenada
March 2013--Victory--Nassau, Half Moon and Freeport
March 2010--Victory--Southern Carib
March 2009-- Destiny--Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios
March 2008-- Fascination-- Key West & Cozumel
March 2007-- Elation--Grand Turk, Half Moon, Nassau
March 2006-- Fascination--Key West & Calica

Save a life, adopt a pet
St. Lucia, West Indies
3,372 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
Originally posted by 2PinaColadas
My husband will be scuba diving when we are in St. Lucia. Is Vigie a safe place for me to go on my own?
Yup, should be no problem. The boardwalk area is right across from the airport, well populated and patrolled, no problem. Castro (cruise critic contributor) will put up a sign with your name on it if you want to meet him, use his chairs, etc..
Enjoy.
2,763 Posts
Joined Jan 2006
We went to Vigie beach in March They have a restaurant bathrooms lots of chairs and I had no problem getting in the water . Princess had a tour that went there. TAXI was $10. Make sure that they take you down the small road which is parallel to the airport. We will go back there in January. OntarioCruiser
Cabot, AR
1,620 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
Originally posted by reedprincess
Yup, should be no problem. The boardwalk area is right across from the airport, well populated and patrolled, no problem. Castro (cruise critic contributor) will put up a sign with your name on it if you want to meet him, use his chairs, etc..
Enjoy.
Awesome Thank you!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
March 2018-- Fascination-- St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Kitts, St. Lucia, St. Maarten
March 2016--Valor--Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, Costa Maya
March 2015-- Jewel of the Seas-- St. Thomas, St. Croix, Antigua, St. Lucia, Grenada
March 2013--Victory--Nassau, Half Moon and Freeport
March 2010--Victory--Southern Carib
March 2009-- Destiny--Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios
March 2008-- Fascination-- Key West & Cozumel
March 2007-- Elation--Grand Turk, Half Moon, Nassau
March 2006-- Fascination--Key West & Calica

Save a life, adopt a pet
A small town in NC
455 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
Originally posted by Ontario Cruiser
We went to Vigie beach in March They have a restaurant bathrooms lots of chairs and I had no problem getting in the water . Princess had a tour that went there. TAXI was $10. Make sure that they take you down the small road which is parallel to the airport. We will go back there in January. OntarioCruiser
Thanks!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
July 2016 - Carnival Valor Graduation Cruise with Granddaughter
January 2016 - Royal Brilliance of the Seas, Western Caribbean
August 2014 - Celebrity Eclipse, Norwegian Fjords
December 2013 - Emerald Princess, Southern Caribbean Medley
June 2012 - Alaska CruiseTour, Coral Princess
November 2010 - Bahamas, Carnival Glory
st lucia
58 Posts
Joined May 2016
hello to all, who will read this post. there is a beach facility at the vigie beach opposite the airport and there are 6 booths that servers food and drink. there are also two washroom facilities and beach chairs u can get from me. be sure to look out for my little sign boards also look out for beach massages this season.

best regards
castro
2,812 Posts
Joined Dec 2006
Originally posted by castro1n3
hello to all, who will read this post. there is a beach facility at the vigie beach opposite the airport and there are 6 booths that servers food and drink. there are also two washroom facilities and beach chairs u can get from me. be sure to look out for my little sign boards also look out for beach massages this season.

best regards
castro
Considering going to Vigie Beach in December but would like to know if there are many vendors on the beach or will we not be bothered? Also, are there taxis at the beach to take us back to the ship? Thank you.
St. Lucia, West Indies
3,372 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
Originally posted by allentownahoy
Considering going to Vigie Beach in December but would like to know if there are many vendors on the beach or will we not be bothered? Also, are there taxis at the beach to take us back to the ship? Thank you.
Taxis are readily available to take you back to the ship. There's few to no vendors. And the ones that are around are polite and will take a polite no and move on. Any problems, just ask the chair guys, or any number of the boardwalk operators to handle them. It's a well patrolled area, right across from the airport, you won't be hassled. Enjoy.
massachusetts
805 Posts
Joined Jul 2008
Enjoy.

HOw do you get in contact with Castro????
St. Lucia, West Indies
3,372 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
Originally posted by dancersp119
HOw do you get in contact with Castro????
He's a poster on this forum, you can private message him from here, or message him on the forum itself.
Or meet him on the beach. He's there most days.
10,077 Posts
Joined Apr 2003

best regards
castro
How much are the chairs? Are the chairs "cushioned"? (Do you have a picture of chairs?) Do you have umbrellas also? What is the cost?

Thanks.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Skiiergirl (and Mr. Ski)

Register for the Meet and Mingle here: https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/ccEntry.do
(You will need the ship name, sailing date, and booking number.)

Most posts are done from my iPad. So please overlook the typos/stupid autocorrect that I don't catch! Interpret what I mean not how it reads.

No children, No guilt, Spending the cats' inheritance one cruise at a time!
St. Lucia, West Indies
3,372 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
Originally posted by skiiergirl
How much are the chairs? Are the chairs "cushioned"? (Do you have a picture of chairs?) Do you have umbrellas also? What is the cost?

Thanks.
Chairs are around $5-10usd per chair. Umbrellas aren't really necessary as there's tons of natural shade all around.. Seriously, tons.
st lucia
58 Posts
Joined May 2016
Originally posted by skiiergirl

Thanks.

good day
no their not cushioned however there are or is a vendor with cushioned sunbeds and their 10usd per chair, the umbrellas yes but no need as there is lots of natural shade from trees.
10,077 Posts
Joined Apr 2003
Chairs are around $5-10usd per chair. Umbrellas aren't really necessary as there's tons of natural shade all around.. Seriously, tons.
good day
no their not cushioned however there are or is a vendor with cushioned sunbeds and their 10usd per chair, the umbrellas yes but no need as there is lots of natural shade from trees.
Thank you both for the info!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Skiiergirl (and Mr. Ski)

Register for the Meet and Mingle here: https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/ccEntry.do
(You will need the ship name, sailing date, and booking number.)

Most posts are done from my iPad. So please overlook the typos/stupid autocorrect that I don't catch! Interpret what I mean not how it reads.

No children, No guilt, Spending the cats' inheritance one cruise at a time!
Barnegat, NJ
1,010 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
When we were in St. Lucia last year, a water taxi operator suggested VIgie Beach. Am I remembering incorrectly that there was, indeed, water taxi across from cruise port to Vigie? Or am I remembering that the water taxi driver we took into town suggested Vigie but we have to take a land taxi? Can someone who went there recently straighten me out? Confused.....

Thanks!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time"
..... James Taylor

Celebrity Silhouette - Caribbean - 11/26/17 - 12/8/17
Celebrity Eclipse Caribbean Holiday - 12/21/17-1/2/18

Celebrity Eclipse Caribbean - 1/21/18 - 2/4/18
Crown Princess TA - Rome-FLL - 11/3/18
Celebrity Solstice Alaska - Vancouver-Seattle 5/17/17-5/26/17
Celebrity Solstice Hawaii-Vancouver 5/7/17-5/17/17
Celebrity Solstice Tahiti (Sydney-Honolulu) 4/20/17

Celebrity Eclipse Exotic Caribbean (15 days) 1/22/17
Caribbean Princess (9 days) 1/6/17
Celebrity Equinox Ultimate Caribbean (11 days) 12/9/16
Celebrity Eclipse Southern Caribbean Holiday 9 day 12/27/15
Celebrity Silhouette TA Reposition Rome - FLL (16 days) 10/31/15
Celebrity Silhouette HolyLand and Mediterranean 10/17/15

Celebrity Silhouette TA FLL to Amsterdam 4/19/15 (15 days)
Celebrity Eclipse Caribbean Holiday 12/21/14 (14 nights)
Royal Princess Baltic and TA (Copenhagen-NY) 8/30/2014 (30 days)
Crown Princess Ultimate Caribbean 1/17/14 (14 nights RT FLL)
Celebrity Eclipse Caribbean 12/28/13 (14 nights RT FLL)
Royal Princess Maiden TA! 10/9/13 (18 nights, Venice-FLL)
Star Princess S America 2/25/13 B2B (29 days)
Grand Princess 11/3/12 14 dayTA London/FLL
Celebrity Summit 5/27/12 - Bermuda 7 day
RT Bayonne
Celebrity Silhouette 2/10/12 12 day S. Caribbean RT Bayonne
Caribbean Princess 10/29/11 NY/FLL 10 day (Caribbean repo)
Crown 17 day London/Iceland/Greenland/NY 8/28/11
Emerald Princess 10 day Caribbean 3/18/11
Grand Princess 14 day Caribbean 1/3/2011
Ruby Princess 7 day Caribbean 10/31/10
Caribbean Princess 9 day from NYC 6/14/10
Celebrity Solstice 7 day Caribbean 3/28/10
Emerald Princess Caribbean 1/31/2010
10 other Princess and 8 Celebrity 2009 and prior
St. Lucia, West Indies
3,372 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
Originally posted by bellasorella
When we were in St. Lucia last year, a water taxi operator suggested VIgie Beach. Am I remembering incorrectly that there was, indeed, water taxi across from cruise port to Vigie? Or am I remembering that the water taxi driver we took into town suggested Vigie but we have to take a land taxi? Can someone who went there recently straighten me out? Confused.....

Thanks!
While in sure you could take a water taxi to Vigie beach, it would be an incredibly long and super expensive way to get there. You'd have to exit the port, then out the harbor, then around Vigie peninsula, up the coast and back into the bay where the beach is located.
Versus a quick direct 5-10 minute cab ride, or 20-30 minute flat walk..
Don't waste your time or money in a water taxi to Vigie, that would be serious overkill!
Barnegat, NJ
1,010 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
While in sure you could take a water taxi to Vigie beach, it would be an incredibly long and super expensive way to get there. You'd have to exit the port, then out the harbor, then around Vigie peninsula, up the coast and back into the bay where the beach is located.
Versus a quick direct 5-10 minute cab ride, or 20-30 minute flat walk..
Don't waste your time or money in a water taxi to Vigie, that would be serious overkill!

Thank you for the helpful response. DH reminded me today that it was a land taxi driver who wanted to take us to Vigie, so you are correct! Do you happen to remember how much the cab ride was? 5-10 min would have to mean it wasn't too far.... And did you enjoy Vigie? Chairs and umbrella rentals available? And bathrooms, I will assume....
Again, thanks.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time"
..... James Taylor

Celebrity Silhouette - Caribbean - 11/26/17 - 12/8/17
Celebrity Eclipse Caribbean Holiday - 12/21/17-1/2/18

Celebrity Eclipse Caribbean - 1/21/18 - 2/4/18
Crown Princess TA - Rome-FLL - 11/3/18
Celebrity Solstice Alaska - Vancouver-Seattle 5/17/17-5/26/17
Celebrity Solstice Hawaii-Vancouver 5/7/17-5/17/17
Celebrity Solstice Tahiti (Sydney-Honolulu) 4/20/17

Celebrity Eclipse Exotic Caribbean (15 days) 1/22/17
Caribbean Princess (9 days) 1/6/17
Celebrity Equinox Ultimate Caribbean (11 days) 12/9/16
Celebrity Eclipse Southern Caribbean Holiday 9 day 12/27/15
Celebrity Silhouette TA Reposition Rome - FLL (16 days) 10/31/15
Celebrity Silhouette HolyLand and Mediterranean 10/17/15

Celebrity Silhouette TA FLL to Amsterdam 4/19/15 (15 days)
Celebrity Eclipse Caribbean Holiday 12/21/14 (14 nights)
Royal Princess Baltic and TA (Copenhagen-NY) 8/30/2014 (30 days)
Crown Princess Ultimate Caribbean 1/17/14 (14 nights RT FLL)
Celebrity Eclipse Caribbean 12/28/13 (14 nights RT FLL)
Royal Princess Maiden TA! 10/9/13 (18 nights, Venice-FLL)
Star Princess S America 2/25/13 B2B (29 days)
Grand Princess 11/3/12 14 dayTA London/FLL
Celebrity Summit 5/27/12 - Bermuda 7 day
RT Bayonne
Celebrity Silhouette 2/10/12 12 day S. Caribbean RT Bayonne
Caribbean Princess 10/29/11 NY/FLL 10 day (Caribbean repo)
Crown 17 day London/Iceland/Greenland/NY 8/28/11
Emerald Princess 10 day Caribbean 3/18/11
Grand Princess 14 day Caribbean 1/3/2011
Ruby Princess 7 day Caribbean 10/31/10
Caribbean Princess 9 day from NYC 6/14/10
Celebrity Solstice 7 day Caribbean 3/28/10
Emerald Princess Caribbean 1/31/2010
10 other Princess and 8 Celebrity 2009 and prior