From UK. Fly into Seattle or Vancouver

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

West Coast Departures

Honolulu, Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, San Francisco, Vancouver
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:58 AM.
Truro
260 Posts
Joined Nov 2011
We are doing a cruise from Anchorage and trying to work out whether it is better to fly into either Seattle or Vancouver from the UK and then a another flight to Anchorage.

Can anybody be able to help please. Also any advise on best paced flights greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Lou
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Ventura 2012
Ventura 2013
Thomson Dream 2014
Ruby Princess 2015
Thomson Majesty 2017
Regal Princess 2017
Cork
1,004 Posts
Joined Jul 2013
I would recommend seatle as once you are in the country it's an internal flight to Alaska. If you fly in to Canada, you will have to go through border control twice. Once to get in to Canada & then in to the US.

A few years ago, I went from LA to Hawaii and the internal flight was a lot easier as I just walked of the plane when I got to Honalulu.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

02-07-2015 Norwegian Getaway
10-04-2014 Norwegian Jade
08-10-2013 Crown Princess
cruising.cockroach {at} gmail hotmail and yahoo
1,581 Posts
Joined May 2012
There are a lot more flight options from SEA, a lot fewer from YVR (might even be/probably is seasonal) to Alaska.. If you're not fussy, you might be able to book the flights on one ticket which would point toward Delta (UK-SEA-ANC/YVR-SEA (or elsewhere)-UK) . AA/BA may work with Alaska Airlines and provide competitive though.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Using cruise lines as a cheap means of comfortable if not speedy intercontinental travel....

Upcoming Sep 2017 Celebrity Millennium Vancouver-Yokohama

May 2017 MS Chi-Cheemaun Tobermory - South Baymouth
Mar 2016 Star Princess San Pedro-Vancouver
Mar 2016 CMA CGM Libra HongKong - Long Beach
Jan 2016 RV Yandabo Bagan-Mandalay

Nov 2015 Tirrenia Bithia Janas Arbatax - Civitavecchia
Oct 2015 Saremar Ichnusa Bonifacio-Santa Teresa de Gallura
Oct 2015 Corsica Ferries Corsica Victoria Savona - Bastia
Oct 2014 HAL Zaandam Vancouver-Valparaiso
Mar 2014 Corsica Ferries Mega Express 3 Toulon-Ajaccio & Bastia-Nice
Oct. 2012 HAL Prinsendam Civitavecchia-Fort Lauderdale
April 2012 Island Princess San Pedro-Vancouver
Kasr Ibrim Abu Simbel-Aswan Feb. 2007

Way, way back....
P&O Cathay between Singapore and Hong Kong and back, March 1968 + August 1969
Koeln-Dusseldorfer Line Rotterdam - Bern
Thomson Ithaca Tanger to Brindisi April 1974
Chandris Bruge-Norway-Tilbury August 1974
Chandris Southampton - Canary Islands + Madeira - Southampton August 1976
Truro
260 Posts
Joined Nov 2011
Thank you very much.

Cruising cockroach can you explain a little further please. Im not the brightest.

Thanks

Lou
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Ventura 2012
Ventura 2013
Thomson Dream 2014
Ruby Princess 2015
Thomson Majesty 2017
Regal Princess 2017
Middle of the Sahara Desert
11,804 Posts
Joined Aug 2006
Originally posted by louand47
We are doing a cruise from Anchorage and trying to work out whether it is better to fly into either Seattle or Vancouver from the UK and then a another flight to Anchorage.

Can anybody be able to help please. Also any advise on best paced flights greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Lou
I would recommend Seattle. There are more flights between Seattle and Anchorage than Vancouver.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past
Plymouth, UK
828 Posts
Joined Nov 2010
I think you can fly with Icelandic air to Seattle. Short hop from uk to Reykjavik then on to Seattle. This may be a lot cheaper than a direct flight to Seattle. Have done this in reverse (Seattle to UK) and found the airline very good.
Just another idea for you!

Sent from my iPad using Forums
1,581 Posts
Joined May 2012
I guess you want to fly to Anchorage and then home from Vancouver. If so, go to the airline website of choice and try a booking (multiple destination) BRS or LON (generic code for all London area airports) to ANC and then YVR-LON (or wherever) and see what fare you get. You can also do the same on Kayak to check (but book directly through the airline website).

This way, you don't have to pay for separate tickets and possibly extra baggage fees (checked bags cost extra on domestic U.S. flights but will be included if on a single international ticket). Just price everything in.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Using cruise lines as a cheap means of comfortable if not speedy intercontinental travel....

Way, way back....
Truro
260 Posts
Joined Nov 2011
Many Thanks.

Just looked at Icelandic air and they don't seem any cheaper at present.

Lou
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Ventura 2012
Ventura 2013
Thomson Dream 2014
Ruby Princess 2015
Thomson Majesty 2017
Regal Princess 2017
1,581 Posts
Joined May 2012
It looks like FI (Icelandair) does fly into ANC (though only bi-weekly) so you could fly via KEF. It'll avoid all the misery of unnecessary flight changes. And you can fly from Vancouver (or Seattle if you particularly want to visit) on your way home so best to fly if the fares are competitive. All the US majors fly to ANC from many of their hubs so it'll be at least one change of flights anyway.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Way, way back....
San Diego
4,540 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
You might want to check out Norwegian Air, depending on when you are flying (you don't say in your original post). One-way from London to Seattle can run as low as $180. You could then connect with a domestic USA flight such as on Alaska or Delta from Seattle to Anchorage.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

1986 HA Constitution: Hawaii 7 day
1988 NCL Skyward: Western Caribbean 7 day
1992 Crystal Harmony: Transcanal 15 day
1994 Golden Princess: Mexican Riviera 7 day
1995 HA Independence: Hawaii 7 day
1997 Celebrity Zenith: Transcanal 15 day
1999 Grand Princess: Mediterranian 14 day
2000 Regal Princess: Alaska Inside Passage 7 day
2000 Crystal Harmony: SF to Sydney 20 day
2001 HAL Ryndam: Cape Horn/SA 17 day
2003 HAL Statendam: Hawaii RT San Diego 15 day
2003 RCI Vision of the Seas: Mexican Riviera 7 day
2004 HAL Ryndam: Sea of Cortez 10 day
2004 Island Princess: Hawaii RT LA 15 day
2005 Island Princess: Hawaii RT LA 15 day
2006 Celebrity Mercury Mexican Riviera RT San Diego 10 day
2009 Sapphire Princess Mexican Riviera RT Los Angeles 7 day
2010 Sapphire Princess Mexican Riviera RT Los Angeles 7 day
2013 HAL Westerdam Alaska Inside Passage RT Seattle 7 day
2015 Hurtigruten Trollfjord RT Bergen 11 day
2017 AmaCerto Tulip Time-RT Amsterdam 7 day

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save
Truro
260 Posts
Joined Nov 2011
Thank you very much.

Lou
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Ventura 2012
Ventura 2013
Thomson Dream 2014
Ruby Princess 2015
Thomson Majesty 2017
Regal Princess 2017
Truro
260 Posts
Joined Nov 2011
Just wonder as the Seattle flight is approx 12 hours from London and the Vancouver is approx 15 hours which wold people recommend.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Ventura 2012
Ventura 2013
Thomson Dream 2014
Ruby Princess 2015
Thomson Majesty 2017
Regal Princess 2017
11,804 Posts
Joined Aug 2006
Just wonder as the Seattle flight is approx 12 hours from London and the Vancouver is approx 15 hours which wold people recommend.
The Vancouver to London - Hearthrow is about 10 hours direct.seattle probably similar. To fly from Seattle add about 3 hours extra from Vancouver. If cruising to Vancouver from Alaska . There are at least two nonstops to Hearthrow and one to Gatwick.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past
Truro
260 Posts
Joined Nov 2011
Sorry are you saying Seattle and Vancouver are the same trade time. oe 10ish hours.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Ventura 2012
Ventura 2013
Thomson Dream 2014
Ruby Princess 2015
Thomson Majesty 2017
Regal Princess 2017
Seattle WA
4,492 Posts
Joined Jan 2002
"Block" (i.e.nominal) time for LHR-SEA is 9h 55m while LHR-YVR is 9h 30m. Both are around an hour shorter flying TO London due to prevailing tailwinds. In other words, flying nonstop, LHR-YVR is actually around 20 minutes shorter than LHR-SEA; Vancouver is actually 80 miles closer. Of course if one is changing planes someplace, all bets are off.

Because it's an international route, there's only one daily flight between YVR and ANC (Air Canada) in the summer, vs. around 25 flights daily from Seattle.
YVR & PDX
3,780 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Seattle & Vancouver have almost negligible differences in flight time from any UK airport - it's all Great Circle routes over the pole, with Seattle a smidgen further therefore on average a very slightly longer flight time (e.g. Seatac is ~65 nautical miles extra compared to YVR from Heathrow - a few minutes extra in the air). A 3 hour difference I guarantee is down to a much longer layover somewhere on the particular Vancouver route you're looking at rather than how long you're in the air.

I can't recall from your original batch of posts if you decided to definitely cruise from Vancouver or Seattle - but if it's the former, remember that it will take an absolute minimum of 3 hours to travel between them (and that assumes you are in a rental car right after touchdown, avoid any traffic, have no undue delay at the border, and basically boot it at least a few mph over the speed limit the whole way - bus, train etc. will add at least 4 hours plus whatever time is required waiting for the next scheduled trip).

Edit - actually I see that your first post in this thread did confirm your cruise started in Anchorage! So for your flight over here, an additional factor is did you decide you wanted to hang around and sightsee for a while, then fly up to ANC? Or were you planning to just get all the flights out of the way in one go? If it's the latter then flights from SEA will be more frequent and offer a better chance of a shorter total flight time, as well as a more efficient layover en route based on the two flights you mention.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Princess: Emerald, Golden x3, Island, Star x2
NCL: Gem, Pearl
HAL: Veendam
Edumacational kiddie cruises: SS Uganda
Victoria, Canada
695 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
You will find far more options between London and Vancouver than you will between London and Seattle. Between Heathrow and Vancouver you have BA (A380 during the summer) and Air Canada (with one or two flights daily). Out of Gatwick you will be able to fly WestJet, airTransat and Air Canada Rouge.

You will find fewer flight options between Vancouver and Alaska than you would from Seattle. If you chose to use Vancouver between London and Alaska you do not clear Canada customer. During most of the day you will clear US customers in Vancouver before boarding your flight to Alaska.

The expensive aspect of your flight will be transatlantic part. You want to get that on a single ticket. That will give you the best price. If you can get the Alaska segment on the same ticket even better.

The key advantage of Seattle is there are more flights between Alaska and Seattle than between Vancouver and Alaska. The key advance of Vancouver is it is far less congested in the mid-late afternoon when most of the European flights are operating. Your bags will also be automatically transferred in Vancouver. In Seattle you will have to claim your bags and recheck them in.
Truro
260 Posts
Joined Nov 2011
Thanks for your replies. I seem to be getting myself a bit confused. If I am sailing from Whittier, I think (I'm not to bright) I have 3 options

1 London to Vancouver, Vancouver to Anchorage

2 London to Seattle, Seattle to Anchorage

3 London to Anchorage.

If the above is correct is there a reason why I wouldn't fly directly to from London to Anchorage. What would be the reasons for taking either of the other option. Is it cost, flight availability etc ??

Also can any tell me their preferred option for getting to Anchorage from London.

Thanks again
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Ventura 2012
Ventura 2013
Thomson Dream 2014
Ruby Princess 2015
Thomson Majesty 2017
Regal Princess 2017
11,804 Posts
Joined Aug 2006
If your going to Anchorage .I would fly to Seattle and then to Anchorage . More daily flights on more airlines. Return after Alaska , Vancouver would been my choice..

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past
Seattle WA
4,492 Posts
Joined Jan 2002
1 London to Vancouver, Vancouver to Anchorage
Cost and flight time to Vancouver roughly equal to that flying to Seattle. Cost to fly from Vancouver to Anchorage MUCH higher than flying from Seattle to Anchorage, only one airline serves the route, one flight per day.

2 London to Seattle, Seattle to Anchorage
Roughly same price and flying time as flying from London to Vancouver. Cost to fly to Anchorage MUCH lower than from Vancouver. Many more daily flights.

3 London to Anchorage.
No nonstop flights from the UK, several one-stop options available with plane changes in Germany, Iceland or in the US.

My recommendations:

1. "Open jaw" booking with one airline that flies both to Seattle and Vancouver. London - Seattle, Seattle - Anchorage, Vancouver - London. BA serves both SEA and YVR and are partners with Alaska Airlines (for the Seattle - Anchorage connection.) The "open jaw" itinerary on BA (LHR-SEA//YVR-LHR) will cost about the same as a return trip to either.

2. "Open jaw" on Icelandair - UK - (Iceland) - Anchorage, Vancouver - (Iceland) - UK. This will probably be the fastest and probably the cheapest alternative. In the UK, Icelandair fly out of Birmingham, Manchester, Glasgow, Aberdeen, Heathrow and Gatwick. They have daily flights from both Seattle and Vancouver that connect through Iceland back to those same British airports.