Half Moon Caye Snorkel

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Private Islands
Disney's Castaway Cay, Carnival Corp.'s Grand Turk & Half Moon Cay, RCI's Labadee & Coco Cay, Princess Cays etc.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:55 PM.
126 Posts
Joined Dec 2002
Hi All,

I keep hearing how beautiful Half Moon Caye Beach is - white sand... that usually means poor snorkeling. Just curious of anyone's experience with snorkeling off the beach there. Any tips/suggestions? Coming on the pride in two weeks.

Thanks!
No. Virginia
1,049 Posts
Joined Sep 2000
We snorkeled at the very far end of the beach once. Nothing super but we did see some fish. It is fairly isolated so be careful.
Arlington, Virginia
2,623 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
We snorkeled in two places on HMC -- the "designated" snorkel area near the private Oasis Cabana. We saw some fish and a barracuda, but there's no coral.

Next we walked down the beach toward the horse stable and there is a large rock that you can snorkel around and see some fish. The current is pretty strong here, so I don't recommend going unless you are a good swimmer.

If you have your own snorkel and mask, snorkeling at HMC can be fun for awhile. But don't waste your money on renting snorkeling equipment. There's not that much to see.
O.C, California
12,107 Posts
Joined Jun 2004
We snorkeled at the location on the map and was pleased, its not a real wall reef but they had it built it up with many fish, star fish, and handmade little reefs to attract the fish there.

https://cruisingmartinistyle.shutterfly.com/pictures/45
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past Cruises: Carnival Splendor - March 2011 ... Carnival Paradise - April 2010 ... Ruby Princess - Nov 2009 ... Mariner of the Seas - April 2009 ... Mariner PreInagural - Feb. 19, 2009 ... Carnival Pride - April 2008 ... Carnival Spirit - Nov 2007 ... Monarch of the Seas - May 2007 ... Carnival Paradise - March 2007 ... Westerdam - Oct 2006 ... Monarch of the Seas - May 2006 ... Monarch of the Seas - Dec 2005 ... Caribbean Princess B2B - May 2005 ... Zuiderdam B2B - Aug 2004- Hurricane Charley ... Sitmar Fair Sea - Jan 1986
Stone Mountain GA
9,433 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
If you are wanting to snorkel then choose the excursion, but if you can accept a perfect beach day at the perfect beach, with the softest sand, then snorkel at another port and enjoy HMC for it's beachness.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past Cruises
Cunard-Queen Mary 1961 NY to Cherbourg
Cunard-Queen Elizabeth 1963 Cherbourg to NY
MWA- Heritage 8/05, 8/06
Carnival- Sensation-10/08
Carnival- Legend 01/10, 9/12, 9/16
Carnival- Fascination 12/10,11/11,10/13,11/14, 9/15
Carnival- Elation 1/14, 1/16

I will try one thing today,
that I have never done before,
and when I have finished something new,
I'll go try one thing more.
aem

"Hurray for ships!.....Let us keep them alive as a token of love,to make the last romantics happy. Let us use them to cure the depressed. Let us prescribe sea journeys..." Tiziano Terzani

America-It doesn't matter what ship our ancestors came here on, we're all in the same boat now.

[/url]