Silver Spirits Beverage Packageed

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Viking Ocean
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:50 AM.
Rochester, NY
151 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Will be sailing on transatlantic cruise in November for the first time on Viking. Looking at the Silver Spirits Beverage Package that they offer which costs $219/pp. Wondering if this is worth while since there is beer and wine available at lunch and dinner?

On the Viking web site the package description says that the mini bar is replenished daily. We have a deluxe verandah cabin and I wonder if they put alcohol in your mini bar if you buy the Silver SpiritsPackage?

Looking for experienced feedback on this.
New Hampshire
484 Posts
Joined Jun 2015
Best feature is that you get a wider premium selection of wines with this package. I never buy it because I only have an occasional cocktail and my wife only wants a different wine a couple nights. At 8 or so euros a pop for the extra drinks we'd each need to be having several a day to break even. My cruise bar bill has never exceeded $50. If you're a serious wine aficionado and like Viking's upgrades, it's probably worth it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Viking Sea Viking Homelands May-June 2017
Viking Lofn Switzerland to Amsterdam October 2016
Silverseas Silver Spirit Mediterranean September 2015
Viking Buri Portraits of Southern France April 2015
Viking Freya Romantic Danube September 2014

D.C.
81 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
We have done the Silver Spirits and thought it was well worth it. Upgraded wines, cocktails and "whenever" drinks, plus the staff really seems to spoil you a bit more when you have it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app
Belle Harbor, NY
628 Posts
Joined Nov 2013
Originally posted by Bill'sBride
We have done the Silver Spirits and thought it was well worth it. Upgraded wines, cocktails and "whenever" drinks, plus the staff really seems to spoil you a bit more when you have it.

Definitely, on the star, our favorite server would recommend different drinks to try. So we did, if I didn't like it, then I didn't finish it and ordered something else
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

184 Posts
Joined Jul 2016
Originally posted by Bill'sBride

I agree. The "whenever" drinks are very nice to have. Wine paring in Chef's table is incomparable to non package plus you have a special glass for each wine/drink. Sorry, I know that some people don't care about that but we like it and do the same at home.
I also tried Armagnac I never tried before. Kier (spell?) from Torshavn ( Viking Star) introduced me to it and I loved it. BTW, he is very nice guy.
If you have a Silver Package, you don't need to worry about mini bar. We used 1 mini bottle of vodka for DIY air fresher to stabilize essential oils. That was it. You have any kind of drinks anywhere including Mimosa with breakfast that there is no time to use mini bar.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Viking Vili, Viking Skirnir-Grand European September 2016
Viking Star - Viking Homelands July 2017
Tucson AZ
1,926 Posts
Joined Nov 2009
We just did the included wine and beer with lunch and dinner and we were in a DV which doesn't have alcohol replenished. We were very happy. We are not afficionados by any means but we had more than enough. You can even go to the buffet and ask for wine or beer "to go" during meal hours and they will give you a couple of glasses. We would do that and then go to the show, then to dinner. You can also bring onboard wine (or, I understand, beer or liquor..we didn't) and they not only don't care they give you a corkscrew and wineglasses. We bought a few bottles in port and stored them in our minibar. Unfortunately we didn't drink them all....the includeds were fine. So I guess it depends on what you want!
New Jersey
12 Posts
Joined Jul 2017
Originally posted by vnb2003
I agree. The "whenever" drinks are very nice to have. Wine paring in Chef's table is incomparable to non package plus you have a special glass for each wine/drink. Sorry, I know that some people don't care about that but we like it and do the same at home.
I also tried Armagnac I never tried before. Kier (spell?) from Torshavn ( Viking Star) introduced me to it and I loved it. BTW, he is very nice guy.
If you have a Silver Package, you don't need to worry about mini bar. We used 1 mini bottle of vodka for DIY air fresher to stabilize essential oils. That was it. You have any kind of drinks anywhere including Mimosa with breakfast that there is no time to use mini bar.
We agree. Love the opportunity to try premium and exotic wines and cocktails. But to each his/her own.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Viking Ocean - Homelands - June 2017
Viking Ocean - West Indies Explorer - February 2017
Viking River - Rhine Getaway - June 2017
Upcoming:
Viking Ocean - Cities of Antiquities and the Holy Land
Viking Ocean - Empires of the Mediterranean
Viking Ocean - Capitals of the Far East
Viking Ocean - Bangkok, Bali & Beyond
Rhode Island
589 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
Does anyone have a more recent list of wines by the glass available with the Silver Spirits Package? Thanks
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jean
New York
8,277 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
The Silver Spirits package would cost us $40 per day, and DW doesn't drink. So I'm thinking I will buy a bottle of wine every other day and as long as they average less than $80 per bottle I'll come out ahead.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email me: [email protected]
Blogs: Jazzbeaux Blogs

I am not an employee of Cruise Critic and I don't speak for Cruise Critic. All opinions are mine alone. Also, I'm only a Host on the various River forums -- everywhere else I'm "just plain Jazz."

Booked:
Crown Princess Classic Canada & New England 10-2017
Azamara Quest Costa Rica 1-2018
AMA Discover Africa 5-2018
Viking Sun British Isles Explorer 8-2018
Celebrity Edge Caribbean B2B / Celebrity Equinox Caribbean B2B 1-2019 [will choose one!]

Completed:
Norwegian Pride of America Hawaii 10-2016; Azamara Quest Norwegian Fjords 8-2016; Celebrity Constellation Greek Isles 5-2016; AmaDagio Provence 9-2015; Celebrity Xpedition Galapagos 5-2015; Celebrity Eclipse Southern Carib 3-2015; Fresco Tours A Kinder Camino walking tour 9-2014; Crystal Serenity Mediterranean 5-2014; Coral Princess Panama Canal 1-2014; AmaCello Rhine 8-2013; Coral Princess Alaska 6-2013; Ireland Fly-Drive 9-2012; Norwegian Dawn Caribbean 3-2013 / Celebrity Summit Caribbean 1-2012 / Oceania Insignia Mediterranean 5-2011 / Fair Dinkum (Erie Canal bareboat) 7-2003 / Costa Italia Caribbean 5-1974
Boston MA
5,998 Posts
Joined Dec 2006
Originally posted by HaveDogWillTravel
We are on a 14 day Rome to Rome 2018 Christmas cruise. The beverage package is $279 each for our cruise.
That is $39.85 per day for both of you, since everyone in the cabin must buy the package.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"Caminante no hay camino, se hace camino al andar." Antonio Machado
Expand for links to links to photos and more.
The high value put upon every minute of time, the idea of hurry-hurry as the most important objective of living, is unquestionably the most dangerous enemy of joy Herman Hesse

Click on the links below for photos

AT SEA: 1983/NCL Caribbean ~ 1985/Premier DisneyWorld+Cruise ~ 1997/NCL Alaska ~ 2000/Renaissance Istanbul to Athens ~ 2001/Celebrity Horizon Southern Caribbean ~ 200?/NCL Boston to Bermuda ~ 2005/Celebrity Zenith Central America/Western Caribbean ~ 2006/RCCL L.A. to Ensenada ~2007/Celebrity Century Scandinavia & Baltic Capitals ~2009/Celebrity Infinity South America around the Horn ~ 2016/Viking Sea Midnight Sun ~ 2016/Viking Sea NYE on the Med

RIVER DAYS: 2010/Viking River Cruises "China's Cultural Delights" ~ 2013/Viking "Footsteps of the Cossacks" ~ 2015/Viking "Passage to Eastern Europe"

Save
New Hampshire
484 Posts
Joined Jun 2015
Originally posted by Peregrina651
That is $39.85 per day for both of you, since everyone in the cabin must buy the package.
And there lies the rub. With one non-cocktail drinker, the $40/day package is expensive unless you're in love with the premium wine selection. I found buying an occasional premium glass of wine for my wife was very inexpensive. My 3 cocktails per cruise were also reasonably priced (that was river; I had included nips in my PV cabin).

Note also that without the package, you spend $50/couple for the premium wine selection at Chef's Table. We passed but our dinner companions on the package said the pairings were excellent.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Viking Sea Viking Homelands May-June 2017
Viking Lofn Switzerland to Amsterdam October 2016
Silverseas Silver Spirit Mediterranean September 2015
Viking Buri Portraits of Southern France April 2015
Viking Freya Romantic Danube September 2014

1,604 Posts
Joined Jun 2013
It's a difficult decision, particularly on longer itineraries it really adds up.
We are not heavy drinkers, but we do enjoy nice wines, and having a cocktail or two while on vacation. We have discussed whether to go for it or not on this next sailing, and still haven't made a decision.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Grand Princess - SFO RT to Vancouver BC, Sept 2018
VikingSea - San Juan-Amazon-San Juan Dec 2017
Viking Star - Bergen- Stockholm 2015
Viking Star - Barcelona-Bergen 2015
HAL Ryndam - Istanbul- Barcelona 2014
HAL Ryndam - Athens -Istanbul 2014
Viking Skadi - Amsterdam- Budapest 2013
Princess - Western Mediterranean - 2010
Princess Golden - Alaska - 2010
Michigan
1,268 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
I think it also depends how "busy" the cruise will be. A few sea days and mid morning excursions might increase the likely hood of an afternoon cocktail or before bed cognac!!!! If you are gone from 7am to 5pm everyday ...probably not worth it!

We are in no way wine experts but I could tell on some occasions that the premium wines were more enjoyable especially in the Chef's Table venue.
California
316 Posts
Joined Oct 2015
To me $20 a day per person is less than the cost of 2 premium drinks on any other ship I have been on. Even off the ship every day I will have 2 glasses of wine in the evening. Sometimes I may have a pre dinner premium martini or a decaf Irish Coffee or glass of port with dessert. I have asked my Viking person who booked me for some more details on this package. I don't drink much but I really do want what I drink to be of a higher quality.
Houston, TX
5,046 Posts
Joined Apr 2003
FWIW, we hadn't planned on buying the Silver Spirits package because as other's have said, Viking's cocktail prices are so reasonable but our TA included an onboard credit for our spring transatlantic and since other than massages, we can't figure out what we would use it for, we are now planning on buying the SS package once we board. Like others have said, this will upgrade the wines at meals which will be welcome but not necessary and will us to try some new things...thanks VNB2003 for mentioning Armagnac, I was worried it might not be covered...but glad to hear it is. Looking forward to trying it out, especially after watching Karine's video about it...speaking of Karine, shall I plan on her greeting me each morning at breakfast, or does she only come out at night? LOL

I do have to disagree with VNB2003 about the inroom consumption. I was pleased to learn that buying the package means our mini bar will get replenished, I feel sure we will enjoy at least ONE afternoon on the balcony sipping a G&T!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Clay

CruiseBlog: www.CruisinWithClay.wordpress.com
Norwegian Cruise Lines Platinum
Sailed: NCL Gem-Southern Carribean-April 2017 / Viking Njord-Danube-April 2016 / NCL Sun-Panama Canal-April 2015 / PRINCESS Caribbean Princess-Western Caribbean-Jan 2014 / NCL Jade- Rome to Venice - April 2013/NCL Gem- Canada - Sep 2012 /NCL Sun - Western Caribbean - Oct 2010 / NCL Sun - South America - March 2010 / Costa Atlantica - Caribbean - Nov 2009 / NCL Star-Mexican Riviera-Thanksgiving 2008 / NCL Jade-Eastern Med-Apr-May 2008 - 50th Birthday Celebration / Celebrity Infinity-Southern Caribbean-March 2006-Atlantis Charter / NCL Sun-Western Caribbean-New Years 2005 / Celebrity Summit-Alaska-August 2003-DDP's 40th Birthday Celebration / Carnival Mardi Gras-Eastern Caribbean-March 1980
136 Days at Sea.....not nearly enough!
Florida
166 Posts
Joined May 2013
I'm really sorry to hear that everyone in the cabin must purchase the SS package! I don't drink, but my husband likes higher grade scotches and sometimes an upgraded wine with dinner. We are booked on the Sun next June for our first Viking experience. He was planning on buying the SS package for himself. We are accustomed to upgrading my husband's drink package on Celebrity, while I have never had to do so. This goes into the "con" column when we are comparing the lines after we sail on the Sun.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Janice

June 2018 -- Viking Ocean Cruises, Sun -- Majestic Fjords & Vibrant Cities with 3 day PreCruise Tour of Iceland
February 2018 -- Celebrity, Solstice -- Australia and New Zealand
June 2017 -- Celebrity, Millennium -- Alaska Southern Glacier (following land tour #8B from Fairbanks to Seward)
January 2017 -- Celebrity, Reflection -- Western Caribbean
February 2016 -- Celebrity, Eclipse -- Southern Caribbean
September 2015 -- Celebrity, Summit -- Canada and New England
March 2015 -- Celebrity, Equinox –- Ultimate Caribbean
July 2014 -- Holland America Line, Eurodam -- Baltic
May 2014 -- Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines, Vision of the Seas -- Western Caribbean
June 2013 -- Celebrity, Equinox -- Mediterranean
Thanksgiving 2011 -- Carnival, Fascination -- Bahamas
March 2001 -- Norwegian Caribbean Line, Sun -- Bahamas
April 2000 -- Premier, Rembrandt -- Eastern Caribbean
Summer 1991 -- Premier, Big Red Boat -- Bahamas
June 1983 -- American Hawaii Cruises, Independence -- Hawaiian Islands
May 1980 -- Cunard, Countess -- Eastern Caribbean
Boston MA
5,998 Posts
Joined Dec 2006
Originally posted by Papillon612
I'm really sorry to hear that everyone in the cabin must purchase the SS package! I don't drink, but my husband likes higher grade scotches and sometimes an upgraded wine with dinner. We are booked on the Sun next June for our first Viking experience. He was planning on buying the SS package for himself. We are accustomed to upgrading my husband's drink package on Celebrity, while I have never had to do so. This goes into the "con" column when we are comparing the lines after we sail on the Sun.
Since not all drinks are free under the package, maybe you don't want the drinks package at all. It would be helpful for you to know what the cost is of the various higher end scotches that your husband is interested in, especially the ones served in Torshavn and the cost by the glass for the premium wines before you make your decision. Perhaps someone has pictures of the current bar menu and the current Torshavn menu that they can share a link to and perhaps someone can tell us the current by the glass prices of the premium wines.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"Caminante no hay camino, se hace camino al andar." Antonio Machado
Expand for links to links to photos and more.
The high value put upon every minute of time, the idea of hurry-hurry as the most important objective of living, is unquestionably the most dangerous enemy of joy Herman Hesse

Click on the links below for photos

AT SEA: 1983/NCL Caribbean ~ 1985/Premier DisneyWorld+Cruise ~ 1997/NCL Alaska ~ 2000/Renaissance Istanbul to Athens ~ 2001/Celebrity Horizon Southern Caribbean ~ 200?/NCL Boston to Bermuda ~ 2005/Celebrity Zenith Central America/Western Caribbean ~ 2006/RCCL L.A. to Ensenada ~2007/Celebrity Century Scandinavia & Baltic Capitals ~2009/Celebrity Infinity South America around the Horn ~ 2016/Viking Sea Midnight Sun ~ 2016/Viking Sea NYE on the Med

RIVER DAYS: 2010/Viking River Cruises "China's Cultural Delights" ~ 2013/Viking "Footsteps of the Cossacks" ~ 2015/Viking "Passage to Eastern Europe"

Save
San Antonio,Texas
628 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
Since not all drinks are free under the package, maybe you don't want the drinks package at all. It would be helpful for you to know what the cost is of the various higher end scotches that your husband is interested in, especially the ones served in Torshavn and the cost by the glass for the premium wines before you make your decision. Perhaps someone has pictures of the current bar menu and the current Torshavn menu that they can share a link to and perhaps someone can tell us the current by the glass prices of the premium wines.
I questioned Viking about the higher priced drinks in Torshavn and was told that drinks there that are also available at other bars on board are the same price but the premium drinks, that only the club has, will be more.
184 Posts
Joined Jul 2016
Originally posted by Clay Clayton
.thanks VNB2003 for mentioning Armagnac, I was worried it might not be covered...but glad to hear it is. Looking forward to trying it out, especially after watching Karine's video about it...speaking of Karine, shall I plan on her greeting me each morning at breakfast, or does she only come out at night? LOL

I do have to disagree with VNB2003 about the inroom consumption. I was pleased to learn that buying the package means our mini bar will get replenished, I feel sure we will enjoy at least ONE afternoon on the balcony sipping a G&T!
You are welcome Both vsop and 10 years included in the package.
As for the inroom consumption I am all for it and we also thought we will be sipping a cocktail on the balcony...but in reality we didn't have time in a room nor couldn't have another drink...LOL. The lounges are so nice and the view is so beautiful...and you don't need to make a drink yourself
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Viking Vili, Viking Skirnir-Grand European September 2016
Viking Star - Viking Homelands July 2017