Considering Windstar but Hesitant

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Windstar Cruises
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:40 AM.
Seattle, WA
49 Posts
Joined Oct 2016
We didn't have any particularly heavy seas. One or two nights I could feel the boat moving slightly, but overall it was like being in a floating hotel in that regard.
Don't miss the all-day (lunch included) tour out of Akureyri!
New York
8,254 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
Originally posted by Geezer Cruiser
We didn't have any particularly heavy seas. One or two nights I could feel the boat moving slightly, but overall it was like being in a floating hotel in that regard.
Don't miss the all-day (lunch included) tour out of Akureyri!
Thanks for the quick response! Did you publish a review?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email me: HostJazzbeau@CruiseCritic.com
Blogs: Jazzbeaux Blogs

I am not an employee of Cruise Critic and I don't speak for Cruise Critic. All opinions are mine alone. Also, I'm only a Host on the various River forums -- everywhere else I'm "just plain Jazz."

Booked:
Crown Princess Classic Canada & New England 10-2017
Azamara Quest Costa Rica 1-2018
AMA Discover Africa 5-2018
Viking Sun British Isles Explorer 8-2018
Celebrity Edge Caribbean B2B / Celebrity Equinox Caribbean B2B 1-2019 [will choose one!]

Completed:
Norwegian Pride of America Hawaii 10-2016; Azamara Quest Norwegian Fjords 8-2016; Celebrity Constellation Greek Isles 5-2016; AmaDagio Provence 9-2015; Celebrity Xpedition Galapagos 5-2015; Celebrity Eclipse Southern Carib 3-2015; Fresco Tours A Kinder Camino walking tour 9-2014; Crystal Serenity Mediterranean 5-2014; Coral Princess Panama Canal 1-2014; AmaCello Rhine 8-2013; Coral Princess Alaska 6-2013; Ireland Fly-Drive 9-2012; Norwegian Dawn Caribbean 3-2013 / Celebrity Summit Caribbean 1-2012 / Oceania Insignia Mediterranean 5-2011 / Fair Dinkum (Erie Canal bareboat) 7-2003 / Costa Italia Caribbean 5-1974
Haddonfield, NJ
140 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Originally posted by Host Jazzbeau
We are looking for a circumnavigation of Iceland itinerary, and I see that Windstar has offered them recently (although fewer for 2018 than 2017). Everything I have read so far looks really interesting, but I have two questions:
(1) How do the yachts do in heavy seas?
(2) When will Windstar release their summer 2019 schedules?
Jazzbeau, From personal experience I would say don't expect a smooth ride when the seas get rough on the yachts. We were on Legend (when it was a Seabourn ship) in the Gulf of Lions when seas were bad. It was the most seasick I have ever been. Most of the passengers were down for the count that day judging by how empty the public spaces were. I will add that my husband was fine and had a nice deck side barbecue lunch by the pool bar. He was absolutely the only person there!

Last summer we were on Legend again with Windstar. The cruise before ours was the Iceland cruise you mentioned. There were a few passengers who were on that sailing and they and the crew shared stories of getting caught in a storm, having to hunker down in a protected bay (I want to say it was off the coast of Scotland but don't quote me). They were pretty much all in agreement that it was very scary. The storm was quite extreme and not the usual but I guess it can happen.

On the other hand we were prepared for the worst on the Bay of Biscay and the day we sailed through that the water was like glass!

So I'm not saying don't go, I'm sure the Windstar experience in Iceland will be amazing but keep in mind that rough seas could happen and you could have an unpleasant 1/2 day, day or two. You never know.
New York
8,254 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
Thanks Jagger.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email me: HostJazzbeau@CruiseCritic.com
Blogs: Jazzbeaux Blogs

I am not an employee of Cruise Critic and I don't speak for Cruise Critic. All opinions are mine alone. Also, I'm only a Host on the various River forums -- everywhere else I'm "just plain Jazz."

Booked:
Crown Princess Classic Canada & New England 10-2017
Azamara Quest Costa Rica 1-2018
AMA Discover Africa 5-2018
Viking Sun British Isles Explorer 8-2018
Celebrity Edge Caribbean B2B / Celebrity Equinox Caribbean B2B 1-2019 [will choose one!]

Completed:
Norwegian Pride of America Hawaii 10-2016; Azamara Quest Norwegian Fjords 8-2016; Celebrity Constellation Greek Isles 5-2016; AmaDagio Provence 9-2015; Celebrity Xpedition Galapagos 5-2015; Celebrity Eclipse Southern Carib 3-2015; Fresco Tours A Kinder Camino walking tour 9-2014; Crystal Serenity Mediterranean 5-2014; Coral Princess Panama Canal 1-2014; AmaCello Rhine 8-2013; Coral Princess Alaska 6-2013; Ireland Fly-Drive 9-2012; Norwegian Dawn Caribbean 3-2013 / Celebrity Summit Caribbean 1-2012 / Oceania Insignia Mediterranean 5-2011 / Fair Dinkum (Erie Canal bareboat) 7-2003 / Costa Italia Caribbean 5-1974
Titusville, NJ
144 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
My husband and I always bring a prescription of scopolamine patches on our Windstar cruises. That way we have them if we need them. We did the re-positioning cruise on the Wind Star from Colon to Bermuda several years ago and had 10 to 14' seas for most of the journey. We were so glad to have the patches and never missed a meal!
Southlake, Texas
1,132 Posts
Joined Sep 2004
Originally posted by jagger16

Last summer we were on Legend again with Windstar. The cruise before ours was the Iceland cruise you mentioned. There were a few passengers who were on that sailing and they and the crew shared stories of getting caught in a storm, having to hunker down in a protected bay (I want to say it was off the coast of Scotland but don't quote me). They were pretty much all in agreement that it was very scary. The storm was quite extreme and not the usual but I guess it can happen.
We were on this cruise. I was told the seas were 25 feet. We left Bergen a bit early. The captain wanted to book it across the North Sea so we could shelter behind an island which I think was in Ireland. We could see several tankers around us doing the same thing.

They managed to serve a breakfast, minus most of the buffet. I had a bite and returned to our cabin. I was not seasick myself nor were any of the other three in our group. We were rocking and rolling but it was possible (if not pleasant) to walk while holding on. Every item in the public spaces, like chairs, was lashed together and tied to the ship. We were not scared. We did miss Isle of Man port due to the storm.

Many years ago we were on HAL when a surprise storm wound up in the Caribbean. Seas were reported as 12-14 feet. I felt much worse on that one than this time. It could be that we had a cabin on a high upper deck and the movement was magnified.
Cobourg, On, Canada
6,565 Posts
Joined Oct 2008
Looking at star Breeze for an April crossing
https://www.windstarcruises.com/crui...d=112&sid=1593

I been on Celebrity s-class ships for 5 crossings and was think about this cruise
I getting a knee replaced mid Dec so I should be pretty Mobile by than
With getting an OV room is there enough public space to sit around , the one cruise we did on Azamara I found it crowded on sea days by outside public areas
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mlkozlowski@gmail.com
Southlake, Texas
1,132 Posts
Joined Sep 2004
Sorry about your knee; I'll be doing the same in a couple of years. Your cabin size will make no difference in the amount of outdoor space available to you. There are no balconies with the exception of the six or so suites.

We did not feel a lack of outdoor spaces on the Legend. However we prefer the outdoor areas on the Windsurf.
Europe
347 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
Fab choice for a honeymoon. Why would you need other things to do onboard?! If they do Liars Club any evening, don't miss it, great fun. Its known as 'Call my Bluff' in the UK. Windstar is our favourite, you will have a great time.
Phoenix, AZ
164 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
Thinking about a Windstar cruise (sailing ships) four our 30th anniversary in 2019. Everything I am reading on this post confirms our thoughts. Looking for the smaller ship experience, getting to know other passengers, great food, great itineraries, etc. We are in our mid-50's, and do not want all the water parks, obnoxious pool games, etc.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past Cruises:

MSC Divina - 11/12/2014 - Southern Caribbean/Panama Canal
Carnival Paradise - 9/2010
Holland America Oosterdam - 3/13/2010 - Mexican Riviera
Norwegian Star 2009 - Cruise to Nowhere
Premier Cruise Lines (Big Red Boat) - 1989 - Bahamas
Haddonfield, NJ
140 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Thanks, Pudgesmom for filling in the blanks. Twenty five foot waves?! You are a survivor. I would have had a heart attack. It was a crazy storm. We experienced some of it while in Ireland pre-cruise. I thought I was going to blow off the promenade in Galway because the winds were so strong.

But to anyone pondering - Is Windstar the right cruise for me/us? I have to add that it was our first cruise with them and it won't be our last. We loved the ship, the crew, the passengers and the food. It was a memorable cruise for sure.