What about ports/islands that are damaged/devastated by hurricane Irma?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:33 PM.
Sacramento, CA
8,277 Posts
Joined Apr 2001
Originally posted by coevan
i used to keep my boat in St.Martin, sold it in January. There was never a storm like this in SXM. The airport is gone. The marinas are gone. hopefully they have electricity and running water in 6-8 weeks. The 4 biggest and "structurally sound" gov't buildings did not make it. You can pretty much say STT, BVI, and SXM will not be cruise ports for some time to come.
The physical airport building lost a lot of roof and is basically flooded, but the airport is open and military and commercial rescue flights are arriving and departing without problems.

The port is receiving rescue cruises (like Royal Caribbean) and military resupply ships.

Both sides of the island have electricity and water being provided, neighborhood by neighborhood.

What are the government buildings you are referring to?

gary
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
A succinct signature is a superb signature.
Bucks County, PA
421 Posts
Joined Jul 2013
Cruise Critic is keeping a running update on the status of the Eastern Caribbean ports and when they'll be open for cruising. More than you might expect are already open, including Barbados, Antigua, Grand Turk and St. Kitts. We will continue to update this story as information comes in from the CTO and cruise lines: https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=8067
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Chris Gray Faust
Senior Editor, Cruise Critic

Exploring the world, one ship at a time.

Carnival Fantasy * IWJ Diamant * Un-Cruise Wilderness Discoverer * Arabella * Uniworld, River Tosca * Un-Cruise Safari Endeavour * Grand Circle River Adagio * Viking Aegir * TDI Yorktown * Vantage River Splendor * Viking Rurik (Russia) * Alaskan Dream, Baranof Dream * Cunard, Queen Mary 2 * IWJ Sagitta * Norwegian Breakaway * Norwegian Getaway * Celebrity Summit Top Chef cruise to Bermuda) * HAL CruiseTour, Alaska (Anchorage-Skagway, plus Zuiderdam) * Celestyal Olympia * Naming ceremony, Regal Princess * Costa neoRiviera, Arabian Gulf * Celestyal Crystal, Cuba * Carnival Triumph * Azamara Journey, Greece & Turkey * Celebrity Eclipse, Norwegian Fjords * Oasis of the Seas * Viking Star, Western Med * Seabourn Sojourn, Hong Kong to Singapore * Avalon Passion, Danube * America, American Cruise Lines * MSC Divina, Caribbean * IWJ Vela, French West Indies * Tauck ms Grace, Rhine * Fathom Cuba * AmaSonata wine cruise * Uniworld India * Viking Hild * Avalon Visionary * Scenic Diamond * Carnival Magic * American Duchess * (upcoming) CroisiEurope Douce France * (upcoming) CroisiEurope Deborah (Loire Valley barge) * (upcoming) Silver Muse, SA * (upcoming) HAL Panama Canal
The Finger Lakes
2,268 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
https://cruisefever.net/4-cruise-por...urricane-irma/

4 Cruise Ports Closed Indefinitely Due to Damage Caused by Hurricane Irma

St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Tortola, Key West: All four ports are closed indefinitely.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
02-15-2005 Carnival Inspiration W.Caribbean
08-15-2012 Island Princess, Alaska
NCL Pearl Dec. 2014 Southern Caribbean
NCL Star June, 2015 Norway Fjords

Angelito Galapagos cruise Dec, 2015
NCL Spirit Feb, 6, 2016 E. Caribbean cruise
NCL Sun Nov-Dec, 2016 South America
NCL Jade- Jan. 2017 W. Caribbean
NCL Dawn Sept . 2017 Bermuda
Diamond Princess Feb, 2018 Australia & New Zealand
Gulf Breeze, Florida
214 Posts
Joined Dec 2013
Thanks to everyone posting links and news on this thread! Thoughts and prayers to all affected!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

---------------------------------------------------------
12/2016 Coral Princess - Panama Canal - - - 5/2017 Caribbean Princess - British Isles
5/2016 CIE Tours Jewels Of Ireland - - - 12/2016 Royal Princess - Eastern Carib'
10/2015 NCL Gem - New England - - - 12/2015 Island Princess - Panama Canal
1/2015 Celebrity Constellation - - - 5/2015 NCL Getaway - Caribbean
5/2011 Island Princess - Alaska - - - 1/2014 Carnival Conquest
3/2002 Carnival Fantasy - - - 3/2004 Carnival Triumph
9/1987 Dolphin SS Dolphin - Bahamas - - - 4/1995 Commodore Enchanted Seas
Durham, NC
11,948 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
I would think you could check with Carnival. Or Mr. Google. I won't have room in my suitcase for dry goods!

Just received an email from HAL regarding my upcoming 11/8 sailing that has St Martin as the first stop and St Thomas and the next-to-last.

Here's part of the email...

"We are currently assessing itinerary impacts and an update on our 2017 cruises will be provided next week. 2018 itineraries are also currently being evaluated and an update will be provided on October 5."

So, it's obvious that it will take considerable time for some of these ports to recover.

They also said HMC experienced minimal damage and will be fully operational tomorrow.

I imagine similar notices are going out (or will soon) from other lines.

I know people are concerned with both the residents and their cruise vacations, but we all just need to be patient. The cruiselines will let us know as soon as they know. Random, incessant speculation on these boards isn't really helpful. Just creates "noise" and the useful info falls through the cracks.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival: 8/30/17 Ecstasy; 10/30/16 Splendor; 5/1/16 Vista Inaugural (Milestone); 11/28/15 Sunshine Journeys; 10/23/15 Splendor; 5/31/15 Conquest; 11/29/14 Freedom; 11/1/14 Splendor; 5/4/14 Pride; 11/16/13 Conquest; 9/1/13 Fantasy; 5/3/13 Fantasy; 10/22/12 & 10/27/12 B2B Fantasy; 11/26/11 Fascination; 10/16/11 Glory; 5/23/10 Fantasy; 12/14/09 Miracle (Platinum!); 10/24/09 Triumph (CTN); 5/17/09 Victory; 12/13/08 Fascination; 5/17/08 Glory; 12/17/07 Miracle; 12/18/06 Elation; 05/13/06 Fantasy; 06/20/04 Fantasy; 04/16/01 Jubilee
HAL: 1/5/17 Zuiderdam; 11/21/10 Zaandam
Royal Caribbean: 04/19/03 Nordic Empress
Atlanta, GA
1,752 Posts
Joined Jun 2011
Originally posted by Cruise Critic Chris
Cruise Critic is keeping a running update on the status of the Eastern Caribbean ports and when they'll be open for cruising. More than you might expect are already open, including Barbados, Antigua, Grand Turk and St. Kitts.
John Heald has amended his earlier "it's open!" statement and now says that Grand Turk remains closed to cruise traffic while they make some repairs.
CC members have confirmed that Grand Turk is being replaced with, e.g., Amber Cove on sailings this week.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Magic, 10/07/2018 -- great itinerary and a new ship class to explore!
Independence of the Seas, 2/1/2018 -- 70,000 Tons of Metal music cruise, 60 bands, 4 stages!
Carnival Vista, 10/1/2017 -- with 6 friends, new ship and first time to Grand Cayman!
Independence of the Seas, 2/2/2017 -- 70,000 Tons of Metal music cruise, third year "survivor"!
Carnival Conquest 10/9/2016 -- HMC (missed), Amber Cove and Grand Turk.Cruise Critic review
Independence of the Seas, 2/04/2016 -- 70,000 Tons of Metal music cruise, second-year "survivor"!
Carnival Conquest, 10/12/2015 -- Nassau, HMC (missed) and Grand Turk -- Columbus Day escape
Liberty of the Seas, 1/22/2015, 70,000 Tons of Metal music cruise, my first time and it was amazing!
Carnival Freedom, 10/13/2014, HMC, Grand Turk and Nassau -- two faves and one meh port
Carnival Victory, 10/14/2013, HMC, Nassau and Grand Turk -- good inexpensive getaway!
Review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1933799
Carnival Liberty, 9/29/2012, HMC (missed), St. Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk -- great 7-day itinerary! Review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1721966
Carnival Imagination, 1/30/2012, Key West, Cozumel -- birthday cruise and mom's anniversary cruise! Review: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=96886
RCCL's Majesty of the Seas, 10/25/2010, Nassau, Key West, Cococay -- first cruise and hooked on cruising!
Virginia
863 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Originally posted by eileenfa
Wow - u got email. I got nothing about mine. My cruise is November 4. Still waiting.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm pretty sure they have only sent out emails for next week. I wouldn't expect an answer until at least a few weeks before sailing. I have an upcoming back to back cruise as well in November and have been speculating myself, but it has just become exhausting.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app