Do we bring an adaptor?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Viking Ocean
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:56 PM.
Boston MA
5,993 Posts
Joined Dec 2006
Originally posted by azdrydock
On the Star 12/17 and there were USB bedside ports and at least 4ea 110V and 4ea 220V outlets. Only problem is the energy management system shuts off the outlets when you leave the room. If you plan on charging while out, put a card in the retainer near the main room switch. QuietVox worked with standard headphones.
Sweeet!!!!! I am doing the Snoopy dance of joy!!!!!!!!!!! I hated those old headsets that only worked in the left ear and I have been complaining about them any chance I was given for the past seven years!!

Thank you, Viking!!! Thank you! Thank you!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"Caminante no hay camino, se hace camino al andar." Antonio Machado
Expand for links to links to photos and more.
The high value put upon every minute of time, the idea of hurry-hurry as the most important objective of living, is unquestionably the most dangerous enemy of joy Herman Hesse

Click on the links below for photos

AT SEA: 1983/NCL Caribbean ~ 1985/Premier DisneyWorld+Cruise ~ 1997/NCL Alaska ~ 2000/Renaissance Istanbul to Athens ~ 2001/Celebrity Horizon Southern Caribbean ~ 200?/NCL Boston to Bermuda ~ 2005/Celebrity Zenith Central America/Western Caribbean ~ 2006/RCCL L.A. to Ensenada ~2007/Celebrity Century Scandinavia & Baltic Capitals ~2009/Celebrity Infinity South America around the Horn ~ 2016/Viking Sea Midnight Sun ~ 2016/Viking Sea NYE on the Med

RIVER DAYS: 2010/Viking River Cruises "China's Cultural Delights" ~ 2013/Viking "Footsteps of the Cossacks" ~ 2015/Viking "Passage to Eastern Europe"

Save
Northern Virginia
625 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
Originally posted by Peregrina651
Sweeet!!!!! I am doing the Snoopy dance of joy!!!!!!!!!!! I hated those old headsets that only worked in the left ear and I have been complaining about them any chance I was given for the past seven years!!

Thank you, Viking!!! Thank you! Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
82 Posts
Joined Mar 2017
Originally posted by Queenie1603
Hi Pat. Good question. I plug my iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch into the same USB adaptor that goes straight into the mains. I thought I wouldn't need it as I could charge with the USBs in the cabin. Now think I will bring my UK to Euro adaptor just in case. I am sure that between us all we will be able to recharge our appliances. Fellow passengers are always willing to help. X
Hi Val, I just bought an adaptor set myself just to be on the safe side. 👍
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Michigan
1,268 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Our cabin Steward finally wrote on our card DO NOT REMOVE.....frustrating when you return from being gone all day and your IPAD is not recharged or your extra camera batteries were still depleted!
Tucson AZ
1,926 Posts
Joined Nov 2009
I put our AARP card in the hallway dispenser (whatever it is called)the minute we got there...we left it there for the whole 3 weeks and never took it out. We are very good about turning out lights...we always do.. but just having that AARP card in the holder the whole time made it easy to not have to worry about things like chargers or lights!
Harrogate
115 Posts
Joined May 2012
Originally posted by stretchcruz
I put our AARP card in the hallway dispenser (whatever it is called)the minute we got there...we left it there for the whole 3 weeks and never took it out. We are very good about turning out lights...we always do.. but just having that AARP card in the holder the whole time made it easy to not have to worry about things like chargers or lights!
I used to do the same until I realised that there is a risk of fire from changing phones and batteries. Now I remove the card - and only charge my appliances when I am physically present in the room. I also place a fire retardant mat under the devices.
Michigan
1,268 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Never considered that Queenie....
We actually had a blank room key from Guest Services. They never suggested it was a fire hazzard.
Philadelphia
5,078 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by smithp7
Honestly I'm not sure on whether I need a converter. We'll have 2 iPhones, 1 iPad, and a Fitbit to charge. What do you think I need ?
No converter necessary for most items produced in the last 20 years.
La Jolla, Calif.
357 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
Caution: Adapters and converrters are two diffrent devices. An adapter only allows us plugs to work. It does not change the voltage. A converter changes both the voltage and the cycles (60HZ to 50HZ). Most computer/phone type products only need an adapter. But it you have products that run on 50-60 cycles (such as a medical nebulizer) you'll need a converter. However, since the Sun has US power sockets, there will be no problem.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Larry

WC Journal: http://2010voyagerworldcruise.shutterfly.com
56 Posts
Joined Mar 2017
If you are using the original manufacturer supplied charger there is no fire hazard. Look at the charger and if it has the UL logo and says "100V-240V AC 50/60Hz" you can use an adapter. Some devices such as curlers and hair dryers will have a 110/220 switch that must be set to the 220V position with the adapter.. The inexpensive converters are a fire hazard and the outputs can damage delicate electronics. I left one plugged in with nothing attached and found a blob of plastic a few hours latter.
Boston MA
5,993 Posts
Joined Dec 2006
Originally posted by azdrydock
If you are using the original manufacturer supplied charger there is no fire hazard. Look at the charger and if it has the UL logo and says "100V-240V AC 50/60Hz" you can use an adapter. Some devices such as curlers and hair dryers will have a 110/220 switch that must be set to the 220V position with the adapter.. The inexpensive converters are a fire hazard and the outputs can damage delicate electronics. I left one plugged in with nothing attached and found a blob of plastic a few hours latter.
Yes but note that unless you have intentionally bought a dual current dryer/curler there is no switch and you cannot use it in a 220 outlet even with an adapter; it will fry your device--or maybe even worse.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"Caminante no hay camino, se hace camino al andar." Antonio Machado
Expand for links to links to photos and more.
The high value put upon every minute of time, the idea of hurry-hurry as the most important objective of living, is unquestionably the most dangerous enemy of joy Herman Hesse

Click on the links below for photos

AT SEA: 1983/NCL Caribbean ~ 1985/Premier DisneyWorld+Cruise ~ 1997/NCL Alaska ~ 2000/Renaissance Istanbul to Athens ~ 2001/Celebrity Horizon Southern Caribbean ~ 200?/NCL Boston to Bermuda ~ 2005/Celebrity Zenith Central America/Western Caribbean ~ 2006/RCCL L.A. to Ensenada ~2007/Celebrity Century Scandinavia & Baltic Capitals ~2009/Celebrity Infinity South America around the Horn ~ 2016/Viking Sea Midnight Sun ~ 2016/Viking Sea NYE on the Med

RIVER DAYS: 2010/Viking River Cruises "China's Cultural Delights" ~ 2013/Viking "Footsteps of the Cossacks" ~ 2015/Viking "Passage to Eastern Europe"

Save