Weirdness on The Pride

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:32 PM.
#21
Virginia
863 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
They don't tell people what is going on because it is not an emergency and they don't want people to panic. Imagine taking a bus that breaks down. Does the bus driver tell you what exact mechanical problems they are having? No, because it doesn't make a difference.

A few years ago on a southern caribbean cruise on Liberty, I noticed we were going a little bit slow and then at St. thomas, we stayed later than scheduled (until around 1am) due to "routine maintenance." Of course, knowing about the problems on Liberty, it was anything but routine...but who cares? We were not in danger, we did not miss any ports, so there's nothing to tell.


Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app
#22
Delaware,USA
14 Posts
Joined Jul 2012
Originally posted by tigger292
We are taking our first cruise out of Baltimore on the Pride on October 1st . . . can't wait. It sounds like she is a beautiful ship. Hope you all have a great time on your cruise this week, New England/Canada sounds like a great adventure!!!
Very nice ship. She's our favorite !
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


Carnival Conquest 10/1/2016
Carnival Pride 9/13/15
Carnival Conquest 9/07/14
Carnival Pride 8/25/13
Carnival Victory 9/09/12
Carnival Pride 9/11/11
Carnival Pride 3/21/10
NCL Pride of America-Hawaii 3/19/06
Carnival Imagination 3/04/02
#23
Ohio
40 Posts
Joined Apr 2002
Originally posted by Doggielover68
They don't tell people what is going on because it is not an emergency and they don't want people to panic. Imagine taking a bus that breaks down. Does the bus driver tell you what exact mechanical problems they are having? No, because it doesn't make a difference.

A few years ago on a southern caribbean cruise on Liberty, I noticed we were going a little bit slow and then at St. thomas, we stayed later than scheduled (until around 1am) due to "routine maintenance." Of course, knowing about the problems on Liberty, it was anything but routine...but who cares? We were not in danger, we did not miss any ports, so there's nothing to tell.


Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app
If it's going to cause unexpected dangerous conditions on board, then passengers should know. On the 9/3 cruise, my mom had glasses go careening off her counter at 3am and cut her hand cleaning up the shattered glass...if the condition of the ship sailing in clear conditions causes lurching that bad, the passengers should know. It's a hazard to them to not know how bad (slight, bad, worsening, constant) and how often (sporadically, all the time) the ship may experience lurching issues related to mechanical issues. My son fell on the water spray park the same day and got a bloody nose during the sunny, clear afternoon during a similar "lurch". I hadn't previously mentioned this incident (b/c it didn't cause more than 30 minutes of little kid trauma and some ruined pics for that night), but 2 safety incidents just in my family plus all the puking I saw during the 28+ hour event (and I'm sure I wasn't the only one who had safety incidents in their family)...I want to know what's wrong with that ship, and I did request to know (at 2:30am after 26+ hours, since the lurching again got so bad it woke me up b/c I was rolling from side to side as a side sleeper) and eventually got the lead customer service manager who called me the next evening and said "she knew nothing", and when I told her what I knew from other employees, she said "so you found your answer then." That's not how to make repeat cruisers happy or feeling like they should book again. I've got 5 under my belt with the last 3 on Carnival and everyone in my fam wants another cruise b/c so many things did go right (even if big things went really wrong)...but we are waiting to book until we see what response, if any, Carnival will make towards the people on this cruise.

I mean, my spouse says this 9/3 Pride cruise sums up "disappointing" - when it had all the elements to hit a home run (great low level staff, great food, great drinks, great entertainment, great weather) but it fell far short b/c of the top-level decisions by corporate and staff (bad decision and handling of intial reroute, bad communication everywhere on everything, bad decision to keep the ports in the Bahamas instead of refunding all port fees when it was clear they were closed and in states of emergency, the maintenance issue and dangerous conditions when you finally thought you'd get a good day, the lack of any consideration when the next Pride cruise got both warning and compensation and open ports for their change, etc)...it's like you went to a prix fixe dinner with filet mignon on the menu and someone hands you a hamburger and tells you there's no filet - you still really liked the hamburger, but you are disappointed it's not the filet...and you just can't shake that desire for the filet and it's gonna bother you...maybe enough to find another restaurant who might have that filet...
#24
Maine
11,381 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
Okay, I read the last post and didn't know what the poster was discussing with "mechanical issues" that caused lurching, so I went and searched their posts, and I see that they determined that the stabilizers "broke". My question is, who were the "multiple crew" that confirmed that the stabilizers were broken? Because unless you saw some engineers wandering around the public areas, or talked to very senior management, I would not trust anything that front line hotel crew said about technical issues. I've stood in the passageway while a steward explained some operation of the ship to a guest, knowing full well I was there, and I had to step in and contradict everything the steward had said, because 90% of them know nothing about how the ship they live on works. So, please tell me who you got your information from.

For stabilizers, you do understand that stabilizers do not stop a ship from rolling, never have, and never will, and never were designed to do so. Cruise ships, due to their high centers of gravity, tend to roll very quickly and sharply, and stabilizers are designed to dampen the roll to a comfortable level. Stabilizer effectiveness is also affected by ship speed, and whether the current is with or against the ship's direction, as they rely on water flow over the stabilizer, just like an airplane wing does. And even if the ship's speed is sufficiently high, and the stabilizers are working correctly, the waves in the ocean are not consistent, so when a wave of significantly higher peak, or different period than the rest strikes the ship, lurching is very common. Ships roll. Even in "clear conditions" (your term, not sure how you define it), seas can be running from storms thousands of miles away, and the ship will roll from these seas.

With regards to the turbocharger "bark" that was experienced (the loud noise from the funnel, and after 42 years at sea on diesel powered ships, I can just about guarantee that's what it was, based on the description), this is a moderately common phenomenon of diesels when a sudden load is applied. I don't know what they were in process of doing on the Pride at the time, but I would suspect they were changing over engines, and a "cold" engine didn't appreciate a sudden quick application of load. Barking is just a pressure wave in the exhaust, and this can sometimes temporarily open up joints in the exhaust pipes, and set off smoke alarms in the engine room, which have to be investigated by fire teams.

If there was a dangerous condition from the turbo bark, the Captain would have notified the guests. There wasn't, so he didn't. Sorry, I don't feel the Captain needs to hold the hand of every nervous nellie onboard. Does the pilot of an airplane get on the PA and explain after every single time the plane lurches in the air?

And before you ask, I don't have any dog in this fight, as I've never worked for, nor sailed on a Carnival ship. I just try to explain shipboard operations and phenomenon in terms that lay people can understand.

What do you consider a "mechanical issue" that should be announced to the passengers? Do you know that nearly every cruise ship out there operates for weeks at a time with one engine completely torn down for overhaul? These diesels are torn completely down every 12,000 hours (about 2 years), and this overhaul takes 2-3 weeks. However, itineraries are set so that the ship does not need to have full power available to make the schedule, so thousands of passengers sail on ships with one engine out of commission without knowing a thing about it, and without creating a "dangerous condition".


As to the much vaunted "cruise passenger bill of rights", you do understand that this was voluntarily adopted by CLIA, since the bill passed in Congress has no jurisdiction over foreign flag cruise ships, and CLIA decided that it didn't really affect the bottom line, and looked like good PR, so at Congress' request they adopted it.
#25
Enosburg Falls, VT
17,508 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Originally posted by chengkp75
Okay, I read the last post and didn't know what the poster was discussing with "mechanical issues" that caused lurching, so I went and searched their posts, and I see that they determined that the stabilizers "broke". My question is, who were the "multiple crew" that confirmed that the stabilizers were broken? Because unless you saw some engineers wandering around the public areas, or talked to very senior management, I would not trust anything that front line hotel crew said about technical issues. I've stood in the passageway while a steward explained some operation of the ship to a guest, knowing full well I was there, and I had to step in and contradict everything the steward had said, because 90% of them know nothing about how the ship they live on works. So, please tell me who you got your information from.

For stabilizers, you do understand that stabilizers do not stop a ship from rolling, never have, and never will, and never were designed to do so. Cruise ships, due to their high centers of gravity, tend to roll very quickly and sharply, and stabilizers are designed to dampen the roll to a comfortable level. Stabilizer effectiveness is also affected by ship speed, and whether the current is with or against the ship's direction, as they rely on water flow over the stabilizer, just like an airplane wing does. And even if the ship's speed is sufficiently high, and the stabilizers are working correctly, the waves in the ocean are not consistent, so when a wave of significantly higher peak, or different period than the rest strikes the ship, lurching is very common. Ships roll. Even in "clear conditions" (your term, not sure how you define it), seas can be running from storms thousands of miles away, and the ship will roll from these seas.

With regards to the turbocharger "bark" that was experienced (the loud noise from the funnel, and after 42 years at sea on diesel powered ships, I can just about guarantee that's what it was, based on the description), this is a moderately common phenomenon of diesels when a sudden load is applied. I don't know what they were in process of doing on the Pride at the time, but I would suspect they were changing over engines, and a "cold" engine didn't appreciate a sudden quick application of load. Barking is just a pressure wave in the exhaust, and this can sometimes temporarily open up joints in the exhaust pipes, and set off smoke alarms in the engine room, which have to be investigated by fire teams.

If there was a dangerous condition from the turbo bark, the Captain would have notified the guests. There wasn't, so he didn't. Sorry, I don't feel the Captain needs to hold the hand of every nervous nellie onboard. Does the pilot of an airplane get on the PA and explain after every single time the plane lurches in the air?

And before you ask, I don't have any dog in this fight, as I've never worked for, nor sailed on a Carnival ship. I just try to explain shipboard operations and phenomenon in terms that lay people can understand.

What do you consider a "mechanical issue" that should be announced to the passengers? Do you know that nearly every cruise ship out there operates for weeks at a time with one engine completely torn down for overhaul? These diesels are torn completely down every 12,000 hours (about 2 years), and this overhaul takes 2-3 weeks. However, itineraries are set so that the ship does not need to have full power available to make the schedule, so thousands of passengers sail on ships with one engine out of commission without knowing a thing about it, and without creating a "dangerous condition".


As to the much vaunted "cruise passenger bill of rights", you do understand that this was voluntarily adopted by CLIA, since the bill passed in Congress has no jurisdiction over foreign flag cruise ships, and CLIA decided that it didn't really affect the bottom line, and looked like good PR, so at Congress' request they adopted it.
As always thank you for the lucid explanation. I had to shake my head at those calling for the Captain's job for not making a PA announcement.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature






Cruise photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sparks1093/

Previous cruises:

NCL Dream CTN May 2008
NCL Sky Bahamas April 2009 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=54257
NCL Sky Bahamas April 2010 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=66539
CCL Pride Bahamas October 2012 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...EntryID=110323
NCL Gem Bahamas May 2014 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...EntryID=255699
CCL Fascination S. Caribbean October 2016 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...EntryID=551888

US Navy, too many to count but included 4 Med cruises (totaling 21 months) 1975-1992

I cruise because that's where the ocean is.

It beats haze gray and underway any day!
#26
Ohio
40 Posts
Joined Apr 2002
Originally posted by chengkp75
Okay, I read the last post and didn't know what the poster was discussing with "mechanical issues" that caused lurching, so I went and searched their posts, and I see that they determined that the stabilizers "broke". My question is, who were the "multiple crew" that confirmed that the stabilizers were broken? Because unless you saw some engineers wandering around the public areas, or talked to very senior management, I would not trust anything that front line hotel crew said about technical issues. I've stood in the passageway while a steward explained some operation of the ship to a guest, knowing full well I was there, and I had to step in and contradict everything the steward had said, because 90% of them know nothing about how the ship they live on works. So, please tell me who you got your information from.

For stabilizers, you do understand that stabilizers do not stop a ship from rolling, never have, and never will, and never were designed to do so. Cruise ships, due to their high centers of gravity, tend to roll very quickly and sharply, and stabilizers are designed to dampen the roll to a comfortable level. Stabilizer effectiveness is also affected by ship speed, and whether the current is with or against the ship's direction, as they rely on water flow over the stabilizer, just like an airplane wing does. And even if the ship's speed is sufficiently high, and the stabilizers are working correctly, the waves in the ocean are not consistent, so when a wave of significantly higher peak, or different period than the rest strikes the ship, lurching is very common. Ships roll. Even in "clear conditions" (your term, not sure how you define it), seas can be running from storms thousands of miles away, and the ship will roll from these seas.

With regards to the turbocharger "bark" that was experienced (the loud noise from the funnel, and after 42 years at sea on diesel powered ships, I can just about guarantee that's what it was, based on the description), this is a moderately common phenomenon of diesels when a sudden load is applied. I don't know what they were in process of doing on the Pride at the time, but I would suspect they were changing over engines, and a "cold" engine didn't appreciate a sudden quick application of load. Barking is just a pressure wave in the exhaust, and this can sometimes temporarily open up joints in the exhaust pipes, and set off smoke alarms in the engine room, which have to be investigated by fire teams.

If there was a dangerous condition from the turbo bark, the Captain would have notified the guests. There wasn't, so he didn't. Sorry, I don't feel the Captain needs to hold the hand of every nervous nellie onboard. Does the pilot of an airplane get on the PA and explain after every single time the plane lurches in the air?

And before you ask, I don't have any dog in this fight, as I've never worked for, nor sailed on a Carnival ship. I just try to explain shipboard operations and phenomenon in terms that lay people can understand.

What do you consider a "mechanical issue" that should be announced to the passengers? Do you know that nearly every cruise ship out there operates for weeks at a time with one engine completely torn down for overhaul? These diesels are torn completely down every 12,000 hours (about 2 years), and this overhaul takes 2-3 weeks. However, itineraries are set so that the ship does not need to have full power available to make the schedule, so thousands of passengers sail on ships with one engine out of commission without knowing a thing about it, and without creating a "dangerous condition".


As to the much vaunted "cruise passenger bill of rights", you do understand that this was voluntarily adopted by CLIA, since the bill passed in Congress has no jurisdiction over foreign flag cruise ships, and CLIA decided that it didn't really affect the bottom line, and looked like good PR, so at Congress' request they adopted it.
Funny you mention sailing without an engine...when that happen on my RCCL cruise, we knew the hour it happened...and we received on board credit and free internet, since the missing engine was gonna make us a few hours late home - we didn't ask for it - it was given at the same time as the engine announcement, which was within an hour of passengers' "notice"...this was not very recently (about 9 years ago), so I won't compliment the current line too much.

And funny you should mention airlines...it's routine for them to ALWAYS tell you to sit and put on your safety belt and inform you if "turbulence" is coming b/c a rocking plane is so dangerous to the people inside...they also usually inform you if the turbulence will occur for the rest of the flight or not at the time of that announcement.

And "dampen the roll" is exactly what was not happening on the 9/3 ship...if the conditions are enough that they are changing the planned nightly show b/c it would be unsafe for the performers, adapting the afternoon show for the same unsafe conditions, closing the entire sports deck for unsafe conditions the entire day, making parents call to check on puking kids every 30 minutes...that's NOT normal (even skipping the observed puking and my own family's injuries). At SOME POINT, someone from the top deck should have explained what was happening, why, when it might end, and what they were gonna do to mitigate, even if it was just free meds, if they could do anything at all.

And I won't post the employees who told me, although they were not "the guy cleaning up the puke" since I know they were all fed a party line and probably will get in trouble for deviating from it. I don't want it even less likely for passengers to be able to get the truth in the future.

I know we won't agree. But I will say...2 ships I've been on had mechanical issues in my 5 cruises...one Captain made me trust the line...and one did not...

That's all I'll say on this matter...b/c if you weren't there (and not up in the wee hours of the last day before we hit the Chesapeake when it truly got its worst), you don't know how bad the conditions were...this wasn't just "oh, the ship is moving a little side to side and I'm not walking down the hallway straight anymore...tee hee."
#27
Maine
11,381 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
Originally posted by TwoMisfits
Funny you mention sailing without an engine...when that happen on my RCCL cruise, we knew the hour it happened...and we received on board credit and free internet, since the missing engine was gonna make us a few hours late home - we didn't ask for it - it was given at the same time as the engine announcement, which was within an hour of passengers' "notice"...this was not very recently (about 9 years ago), so I won't compliment the current line too much.

And funny you should mention airlines...it's routine for them to ALWAYS tell you to sit and put on your safety belt and inform you if "turbulence" is coming b/c a rocking plane is so dangerous to the people inside...they also usually inform you if the turbulence will occur for the rest of the flight or not at the time of that announcement.

And "dampen the roll" is exactly what was not happening on the 9/3 ship...if the conditions are enough that they are changing the planned nightly show b/c it would be unsafe for the performers, adapting the afternoon show for the same unsafe conditions, closing the entire sports deck for unsafe conditions the entire day, making parents call to check on puking kids every 30 minutes...that's NOT normal (even skipping the observed puking and my own family's injuries). At SOME POINT, someone from the top deck should have explained what was happening, why, when it might end, and what they were gonna do to mitigate, even if it was just free meds, if they could do anything at all.

And I won't post the employees who told me, although they were not "the guy cleaning up the puke" since I know they were all fed a party line and probably will get in trouble for deviating from it. I don't want it even less likely for passengers to be able to get the truth in the future.

I know we won't agree. But I will say...2 ships I've been on had mechanical issues in my 5 cruises...one Captain made me trust the line...and one did not...

That's all I'll say on this matter...b/c if you weren't there (and not up in the wee hours of the last day before we hit the Chesapeake when it truly got its worst), you don't know how bad the conditions were...this wasn't just "oh, the ship is moving a little side to side and I'm not walking down the hallway straight anymore...tee hee."
Well, lets see, I'm talking about routine maintenance that takes an engine out of service and doesn't affect the itinerary, and you are talking about a failure that did affect the itinerary. Yes, you should have been told, and were, that an issue had caused the change. However, the problem on the Pride did not cause a change in itinerary, so why should you be informed?

Of course a pilot informs folks that there will be turbulence, but you're example of the Captain notifying you of every little problem is like the pilot saying "Oh, sorry for that bump, it was clear turbulence" and two minutes later saying the same thing, every time the plane hits a bump.

I really wasn't asking for folks' names, just that as I say, 90% of crew know nothing about a ship's workings. And how did you know that the stabilizers weren't working, yet the sea conditions were such that the stabilizer's dampening effect was insufficient? Oh, that's right, someone in hotel operations told you. I would be willing to bet that every single cruise ship, at one time or another, has had to cancel the production show, closing outside decks, pools, etc, and I doubt that any of them had "broken" stabilizers causing the problem.

And I will be willing to bet that in 42 years at sea, I've been in worse sea conditions than you've experienced, including sailing through several hurricanes and typhoons, and I know what rolling and pitching is all about. How about you look at the videos of RCI's Anthem when she was caught in the tropical storm a couple years ago, and see the amount of rolling the ship did, and guess what? She had working stabilizers. It's weather, it happens, it's nothing the cruise line can do about it, and trust me God is stronger than anything man can build, so a ship is gonna roll, and a ship is gonna pitch, and a ship is gonna lurch if the weather is sufficient.
#28
Florida
2,414 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
We lurched while sailing near Greenland on another cruise line and I looked out the window to see we barely missed 2 whales. Captain didn't announce what happened and I don't blame him. I would rather he do his job keeping us (and the wildlife) safe than to waste time explaining every lurch. You are on a ship...you should always anticipate a possible lurch...just like you should always anticipate possible turbulence on a plane.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Wayfairers
12/06 RC Navigator of the Seas - 7d Eastern Caribbean
01/08 HAL Ryndam - 30d Hawaii/South Pacific
03/08 Carnival Spirit - 7d Mexican Riviera
06/08 Princess Sapphire - 10d Alaska
01/09 Celebrity Galaxy - 10d Southern Caribbbean
10/11 HAL Maasdam - 45d Atlantic Adventurer (RT FLL to Europe)
05/14 Carnival Legend - 7d Western Caribbean
06/14 Carnival Conquest - 7d Eastern Caribbean
07/15 HAL Veendam - 1st 18d of Voyage of the Vikings (Boston-Amsterdam)
10/15 Norwegian Spirit - 28d Transatlantic (Venice-Orlando)
01/16 HAL Rotterdam - 89d Passage to the Far East

Looking forward to.....
01/19 HAL Prinsendam- 80d Grand South America and Antarctica Voyage
#29
Maryland
10 Posts
Joined Aug 2017
I was on the 9/3 cruise.

I'm a fisherman and have spent much time in the Chesapeake and canyon fishing in the ocean.

It was a disappointing cruise I feel the the brass should have been more forthcoming overall and it seemed that they weren't totally honest.

When the Pride left Nassau it was calm. we did experience later on an easy 9 foot swell close together.( The Capt announced it)
It still looked calm. no white caps kinda glassy. we were running fast 22-23knts. Maybe backing off would have helped?? they probably wanted to get it over with. I have been in very rough seas on the pride (2011) and they backed off quite a bit and it was still bumpy.

Thing is is if they did slow to say 12-15 knts the could actually steam up the bay instead of floating at 4.4knts.

So you wonder maybe something did happen to the ship on the way back to B-more and they Limped up the bay.

Anyway the crew was awesome we had a blast, wish Irma didn't happen but god bless all the folks who actually had a bad week.

Maybe carnival should throw a few more bones now and then.

Bill
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Pride Bahamas Oct 2011
Carnival Pride Eastern Caribbean Sept 2013
Upcoming Carnival Pride
Eastern Caribbean September 3 2017
#30
Southeast Virginia
2,922 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
Gonna jump in here and add my 2 cents: DW and I have now completed 42 cruises; Carnival, Celebrity, Princess, Disney and Royal Caribbean. In 42 cruises we have never been so displeased with the lack of TIMELY information, communication from the BRIDGE (not individual crew members), lack of preparedness from CARNIVAL. Here is my reasoning: Hurricane Irma was in the Atlantic, predicted to strike the islands with tremendous force, yet, those boarding the Sep 3d cruise were only told of the itinerary change at the end of muster. Obviously, Carnival knew of the itinerary change BEFORE we ever boarded but did not announce it until everyone was onboard. Why did I sign up for their TEXT ALERTS? Then once onboard, Customer Service advised us and apparently others, that Carnival would not make a decision about any refund/or other compensation until FRIDAY SEP 8TH, yet, other passengers were told that if they decided to disembark the ship when it arrived in Charleston South Carolina on Tuesday, they would receive a FULL REFUND! Having been told that the cruise was substituting CHARLESTON for GRAND TURK and that we might or might not make it to either Freeport or Nassau, we would have chosen to disembark and rebook at a later time. Again, no communication from the Bridge. Now as for the rough seas; our cabin was aft facing, a cabin location we have had on many ships. The seas were, in my opinion, not rough; they were high but this ship could not handle it. Whether is was the lack of stabilizers, the stabilizers not working properly or what ever, there was no communication from the Bridge until we had past a storm, the following day, and the CRUISE DIRECTOR announced that the Captain had "sped up to get ahead of the storm" followed by how we would be "cruising up the Chesapeake Bay". Four knots of speed for more than a day, up the Chesapeake Bay does not make a "Caribbean Cruise". Stopping at Freeport and Nassau, which were boarding up in hurricane preparation, also does not make a "Caribbean Cruise". I did not pay to go to Charleston South Carolina or go to Freeport and Nassau to watch residents and business owners boarding up windows and sand bagging. Carnival disappointed, the Captain had no communication with the passengers and this was not the cruise that passengers paid for, period!
You can post your opinion about this cruise, but if you weren't on the ship and personally experienced the "cruise", you don't know. I was there and with all my experience with cruising, this was a Pi** poor effort by Carnival and the Captain.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jon (whitecap)
Princess Elite; Carnival Gold; Celebrity Classic; RCCL Gold
IF YOU AIN'T CRUSIN, YOU'RE LOSIN

Emerald Princess, Sep 2010
Emerald Princess, Mar 2011
Emerald Princess, Sep 2011
Crown Princess, Feb 2012
Carnival Glory, May 2012
Grand Princess, Nov 2012
Ruby Princess, Mar 2013
Celebrity Equinox, Mar 2013
Carnival Pride, May 2013
Disney Dream, Oct 2013
Emerald Princess, Nov 2013
Ruby Princess, Jan 9-27,2014
Ruby Princess, Apr 3, 2014
Ruby Princess, Apr 12, 2014
Carnival Pride, Sep 7, 2014
Royal Princess, Nov 14, 2014
Caribbean Princess, Nov 24 & 29, 2014
Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas, May 2 & May 9, 2015
Carnival Pride, Sep 6, 2015
Regal Princess, Nov 29 & Dec 6, 2015
Emerald Princess, Jan 23 & Jan 30, 2016
Royal Princess, Mar 23, 2016
Celebrity Equinox, Apr 4, 2016
Carnival Pride, Sep 11, 2016
Regal Princess, Nov 20 - Dec 11, 2016
Caribbean Princess, Jan 22 - Feb 5, 2017
Royal Caribbean, Harmony of the Seas, Feb 25 - Mar 11, 2017





#31
Ohio
40 Posts
Joined Apr 2002
Originally posted by whitecap
Gonna jump in here and add my 2 cents: DW and I have now completed 42 cruises; Carnival, Celebrity, Princess, Disney and Royal Caribbean. In 42 cruises we have never been so displeased with the lack of TIMELY information, communication from the BRIDGE (not individual crew members), lack of preparedness from CARNIVAL. Here is my reasoning: Hurricane Irma was in the Atlantic, predicted to strike the islands with tremendous force, yet, those boarding the Sep 3d cruise were only told of the itinerary change at the end of muster. Obviously, Carnival knew of the itinerary change BEFORE we ever boarded but did not announce it until everyone was onboard. Why did I sign up for their TEXT ALERTS? Then once onboard, Customer Service advised us and apparently others, that Carnival would not make a decision about any refund/or other compensation until FRIDAY SEP 8TH, yet, other passengers were told that if they decided to disembark the ship when it arrived in Charleston South Carolina on Tuesday, they would receive a FULL REFUND! Having been told that the cruise was substituting CHARLESTON for GRAND TURK and that we might or might not make it to either Freeport or Nassau, we would have chosen to disembark and rebook at a later time. Again, no communication from the Bridge. Now as for the rough seas; our cabin was aft facing, a cabin location we have had on many ships. The seas were, in my opinion, not rough; they were high but this ship could not handle it. Whether is was the lack of stabilizers, the stabilizers not working properly or what ever, there was no communication from the Bridge until we had past a storm, the following day, and the CRUISE DIRECTOR announced that the Captain had "sped up to get ahead of the storm" followed by how we would be "cruising up the Chesapeake Bay". Four knots of speed for more than a day, up the Chesapeake Bay does not make a "Caribbean Cruise". Stopping at Freeport and Nassau, which were boarding up in hurricane preparation, also does not make a "Caribbean Cruise". I did not pay to go to Charleston South Carolina or go to Freeport and Nassau to watch residents and business owners boarding up windows and sand bagging. Carnival disappointed, the Captain had no communication with the passengers and this was not the cruise that passengers paid for, period!
You can post your opinion about this cruise, but if you weren't on the ship and personally experienced the "cruise", you don't know. I was there and with all my experience with cruising, this was a Pi** poor effort by Carnival and the Captain.
Amen (I wasn't gonna post again...but you nailed it)...
#32
Southwestern, Pa
392 Posts
Joined Nov 2004
Originally posted by whitecap
Gonna jump in here and add my 2 cents: DW and I have now completed 42 cruises; Carnival, Celebrity, Princess, Disney and Royal Caribbean. In 42 cruises we have never been so displeased with the lack of TIMELY information, communication from the BRIDGE (not individual crew members), lack of preparedness from CARNIVAL. Here is my reasoning: Hurricane Irma was in the Atlantic, predicted to strike the islands with tremendous force, yet, those boarding the Sep 3d cruise were only told of the itinerary change at the end of muster. Obviously, Carnival knew of the itinerary change BEFORE we ever boarded but did not announce it until everyone was onboard. Why did I sign up for their TEXT ALERTS? Then once onboard, Customer Service advised us and apparently others, that Carnival would not make a decision about any refund/or other compensation until FRIDAY SEP 8TH, yet, other passengers were told that if they decided to disembark the ship when it arrived in Charleston South Carolina on Tuesday, they would receive a FULL REFUND! Having been told that the cruise was substituting CHARLESTON for GRAND TURK and that we might or might not make it to either Freeport or Nassau, we would have chosen to disembark and rebook at a later time. Again, no communication from the Bridge. Now as for the rough seas; our cabin was aft facing, a cabin location we have had on many ships. The seas were, in my opinion, not rough; they were high but this ship could not handle it. Whether is was the lack of stabilizers, the stabilizers not working properly or what ever, there was no communication from the Bridge until we had past a storm, the following day, and the CRUISE DIRECTOR announced that the Captain had "sped up to get ahead of the storm" followed by how we would be "cruising up the Chesapeake Bay". Four knots of speed for more than a day, up the Chesapeake Bay does not make a "Caribbean Cruise". Stopping at Freeport and Nassau, which were boarding up in hurricane preparation, also does not make a "Caribbean Cruise". I did not pay to go to Charleston South Carolina or go to Freeport and Nassau to watch residents and business owners boarding up windows and sand bagging. Carnival disappointed, the Captain had no communication with the passengers and this was not the cruise that passengers paid for, period!
You can post your opinion about this cruise, but if you weren't on the ship and personally experienced the "cruise", you don't know. I was there and with all my experience with cruising, this was a Pi** poor effort by Carnival and the Captain.
My DW and I have just about the same number of cruises we've taken over the years and we were on the 9-3 sailing also, your are 100% correct about total lack of communication and all the information you provided..We've sailed the Pride 5 times and this will be our last time...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#33
Southeast Virginia
2,922 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
Originally posted by Raymok
My DW and I have just about the same number of cruises we've taken over the years and we were on the 9-3 sailing also, your are 100% correct about total lack of communication and all the information you provided..We've sailed the Pride 5 times and this will be our last time...
As I posted on my Pride review, we have emailed Customer Care with our complaint and request to be compensated. Our future with Carnival will depend on their reply.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jon (whitecap)
Princess Elite; Carnival Gold; Celebrity Classic; RCCL Gold
IF YOU AIN'T CRUSIN, YOU'RE LOSIN

Emerald Princess, Sep 2010
Emerald Princess, Mar 2011
Emerald Princess, Sep 2011
Crown Princess, Feb 2012
Carnival Glory, May 2012
Grand Princess, Nov 2012
Ruby Princess, Mar 2013
Celebrity Equinox, Mar 2013
Carnival Pride, May 2013
Disney Dream, Oct 2013
Emerald Princess, Nov 2013
Ruby Princess, Jan 9-27,2014
Ruby Princess, Apr 3, 2014
Ruby Princess, Apr 12, 2014
Carnival Pride, Sep 7, 2014
Royal Princess, Nov 14, 2014
Caribbean Princess, Nov 24 & 29, 2014
Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas, May 2 & May 9, 2015
Carnival Pride, Sep 6, 2015
Regal Princess, Nov 29 & Dec 6, 2015
Emerald Princess, Jan 23 & Jan 30, 2016
Royal Princess, Mar 23, 2016
Celebrity Equinox, Apr 4, 2016
Carnival Pride, Sep 11, 2016
Regal Princess, Nov 20 - Dec 11, 2016
Caribbean Princess, Jan 22 - Feb 5, 2017
Royal Caribbean, Harmony of the Seas, Feb 25 - Mar 11, 2017





#34
Daytona Beach, FL
503 Posts
Joined May 2011
Originally posted by chengkp75
Okay, I read the last post and didn't know what the poster was discussing with "mechanical issues" that caused lurching, so I went and searched their posts, and I see that they determined that the stabilizers "broke". My question is, who were the "multiple crew" that confirmed that the stabilizers were broken? Because unless you saw some engineers wandering around the public areas, or talked to very senior management, I would not trust anything that front line hotel crew said about technical issues. I've stood in the passageway while a steward explained some operation of the ship to a guest, knowing full well I was there, and I had to step in and contradict everything the steward had said, because 90% of them know nothing about how the ship they live on works. So, please tell me who you got your information from.

For stabilizers, you do understand that stabilizers do not stop a ship from rolling, never have, and never will, and never were designed to do so. Cruise ships, due to their high centers of gravity, tend to roll very quickly and sharply, and stabilizers are designed to dampen the roll to a comfortable level. Stabilizer effectiveness is also affected by ship speed, and whether the current is with or against the ship's direction, as they rely on water flow over the stabilizer, just like an airplane wing does. And even if the ship's speed is sufficiently high, and the stabilizers are working correctly, the waves in the ocean are not consistent, so when a wave of significantly higher peak, or different period than the rest strikes the ship, lurching is very common. Ships roll. Even in "clear conditions" (your term, not sure how you define it), seas can be running from storms thousands of miles away, and the ship will roll from these seas.

With regards to the turbocharger "bark" that was experienced (the loud noise from the funnel, and after 42 years at sea on diesel powered ships, I can just about guarantee that's what it was, based on the description), this is a moderately common phenomenon of diesels when a sudden load is applied. I don't know what they were in process of doing on the Pride at the time, but I would suspect they were changing over engines, and a "cold" engine didn't appreciate a sudden quick application of load. Barking is just a pressure wave in the exhaust, and this can sometimes temporarily open up joints in the exhaust pipes, and set off smoke alarms in the engine room, which have to be investigated by fire teams.

If there was a dangerous condition from the turbo bark, the Captain would have notified the guests. There wasn't, so he didn't. Sorry, I don't feel the Captain needs to hold the hand of every nervous nellie onboard. Does the pilot of an airplane get on the PA and explain after every single time the plane lurches in the air?

And before you ask, I don't have any dog in this fight, as I've never worked for, nor sailed on a Carnival ship. I just try to explain shipboard operations and phenomenon in terms that lay people can understand.

What do you consider a "mechanical issue" that should be announced to the passengers? Do you know that nearly every cruise ship out there operates for weeks at a time with one engine completely torn down for overhaul? These diesels are torn completely down every 12,000 hours (about 2 years), and this overhaul takes 2-3 weeks. However, itineraries are set so that the ship does not need to have full power available to make the schedule, so thousands of passengers sail on ships with one engine out of commission without knowing a thing about it, and without creating a "dangerous condition".


As to the much vaunted "cruise passenger bill of rights", you do understand that this was voluntarily adopted by CLIA, since the bill passed in Congress has no jurisdiction over foreign flag cruise ships, and CLIA decided that it didn't really affect the bottom line, and looked like good PR, so at Congress' request they adopted it.
Thank you!! As always the voice of reason.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
]
#35
11,366 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Originally posted by sparks1093
As always thank you for the lucid explanation. I had to shake my head at those calling for the Captain's job for not making a PA announcement.
Thank you from me as well!
#36
USA
15 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
I was also on this 9/3 Pride cruise. This was a free cruise for me (free cabin from the casino) so I don't have much room to complain. I figured most people knew about the vacation guarantee which would provide a refund if you were not satisfied and chose to leave the ship at the first available port. One of the trivia host mentioned that less than 100 people chose to debark in Charleston. The ship was definitely rocking on Friday heading back to Baltimore but I didn't think it was too bad. They did replace the 80's show that night with the Heart and Soul show but the rocking wasn't so bad that the dancers couldn't perform. I agree that Carnival should have let us know about the interinary change prior to boarding but it wasn't surprising grand turk & HMC was cancelled given the approaching hurricane.

I do feel bad for those who feel like they didn't get the vacation they paid for and hope Carnival will make this right. With that said, everyone that I talked to on the Lido and in the casino was making the best of things and enjoying themselves.
#38
141 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
Our 7/10 Conquest sailing had a small fire. We heard the announcement for the fire crew. Shortly after, the captain announced it was a small fire behind one of the bars and it was being controlled. A while later captain explained in more detail what had happened and that fire was completely out. We really appreciated that he explained things once he had time. Over, done . Not one bit of fun missed. No crazies. Considerate captain
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Costa T/S Flavia 05/21/1979 Honeymoon
Carnival Paradise 07/25/2004 25th Anniversary/Family Cruise
Carnival Inspiration Family Cruise 08/05/2006
Carnival Fascination Family Cruise 08/18/2012
Carnival Victory 08/22/2015 Just the 2 of us once again
Carnival Valor 09/25/2016 Kids? What kids??
Carnival Conquest 07/10/2017 Looking forward to this!
#39
Georgia
1,808 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
LOL....it is funny how important some people think they are.


Chengkp75 is dead on as usual with his explanation.
#40
Southeast Virginia
2,922 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
Originally posted by ray98
LOL....it is funny how important some people think they are.


Chengkp75 is dead on as usual with his explanation.
I too think that the information provided by Chengkp75 is pretty good however, I believe that one of the main issues noted with this thread was the "lack of communication from the bridge". A simple, "good morning folks, just wanted to let you know that the sounds you just heard was __________________". Calming those nervous nellies and simply keeping others informed. When explanations don't happen, well we all know the rumors that can start and how each time it is repeated it gets more exaggerated. On our past Pride cruise, Sep 3-10, 2017, most all information provided over the PA system came from the Cruise Director, who didn't sound to confident in what he was providing.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jon (whitecap)
Princess Elite; Carnival Gold; Celebrity Classic; RCCL Gold
IF YOU AIN'T CRUSIN, YOU'RE LOSIN

Emerald Princess, Sep 2010
Emerald Princess, Mar 2011
Emerald Princess, Sep 2011
Crown Princess, Feb 2012
Carnival Glory, May 2012
Grand Princess, Nov 2012
Ruby Princess, Mar 2013
Celebrity Equinox, Mar 2013
Carnival Pride, May 2013
Disney Dream, Oct 2013
Emerald Princess, Nov 2013
Ruby Princess, Jan 9-27,2014
Ruby Princess, Apr 3, 2014
Ruby Princess, Apr 12, 2014
Carnival Pride, Sep 7, 2014
Royal Princess, Nov 14, 2014
Caribbean Princess, Nov 24 & 29, 2014
Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas, May 2 & May 9, 2015
Carnival Pride, Sep 6, 2015
Regal Princess, Nov 29 & Dec 6, 2015
Emerald Princess, Jan 23 & Jan 30, 2016
Royal Princess, Mar 23, 2016
Celebrity Equinox, Apr 4, 2016
Carnival Pride, Sep 11, 2016
Regal Princess, Nov 20 - Dec 11, 2016
Caribbean Princess, Jan 22 - Feb 5, 2017
Royal Caribbean, Harmony of the Seas, Feb 25 - Mar 11, 2017