Carnival Cruising Etiquette 101

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:28 PM.
Midwest
1,062 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Originally posted by asylum575
Wemjam,

Do not take the Elation out of Jacksonville.

We were onboard last month on the second half of a back to back with another ship.
We found the check-in process very stressful and and the buffet down right mayhem.

On disembarkation we were told, actually warned, not to try to disembark until your number is called. We were told our number would be called between 10 and 10:30.
We had a late breakfast in the MDR and proceeded to the theatre as instructed. The theatre was practically empty. They were around disembarkation number 8, we were 14. A staff member instructed us to disembark. I told him we were told to wait for our number. He informed us that we were probably the only ones who heeded the warning and the ship was just about done with disembarkation. We then proceeded to disembark and breezed through the process.

My thoughts were that there can't be that many people who didn't go to kindergarten and learn how to stand in line and follow instructions.
Our disembarkation was delayed because so many people rushed down to the lobby to get off the ship.
Midwest
1,062 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
If you want a lounger on the lido deck, walk around and look for one. Don't come out at 6-7 am and put your belongings on one and then disappear and not come back until later or not at all. If you need loungers together, most people will move over a few so you can lounge together.
Concord, NC USA
1,200 Posts
Joined May 2001
Excellent points. This applies to all cruise lines and is sound advice.
++++ to the "do not reserve chairs" rule. If you are going to be gone more than 10-15 minutes please move your stuff so someone else can use the spot. If everyone would do this there would probably be another empty spot when you return anyway. I realize that this will never happen, but maybe someone will get the message. By the way, we give up our spot if we are going to be away for a while. It is common courtesy to other people. Sometimes we find an even better place to hang out as a result.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Happy Cruisers since 1994.
Completed Cruise Count: Royal Caribbean 22, Big Red Boat 1, Carnival 2
Bad Cruises: 0 (Not counting RCCL Liberty of the Seas cancellation)
Great Cruises: 25
Future Cruises Booked: 2 : 2 Carnival

From the Mrs. : "My cruise isn't over, I'm just on a really long shore excursion."
Ohio
228 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
Originally posted by shof515
my biggest pet peeve is something i see at home everywhere and that is:
Step to the side, let the other people get off the elevator first then get on the elevator. it makes getting on/off the elevator quicker for everyone
Elevator etiquette, slamming doors and misbehaving kids.
551 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Step to the side, let the other people get off the elevator first then get on the elevator. it makes getting on/off the elevator quicker for everyone

YES! This has to be my # 1 pet peeve. #2 of course goes to the chair hogs!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Sensation Oct 2010: Nassau & Freeport
Carnival Inspiration Oct 2011: Cozumel & Costa Maya
Carnival Paradise Oct 2012: Cozumel & Grand Cayman
Carnival Ecstasy Oct 2013: Little Stirrup Cay, Nassau & Freeport
Carnival Dream Nov 2013: Nassau, St Thomas, St Maartin
Carnival Vista Nov 2016: Repo Cruise New York, Grand Turk, Bonaire, Aruba, St Martin, Miami
Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas Oct 2014: Labadee, Falmouth, Grand Cayman, & Cozumel
Royal Caribbean Vision of the Seas Jan 2015: Belize, Roatan, Costa Maya & Cozumel
Royal Caribbean Brilliance of the Seas Oct 2015: St. Kitts, St Lucia, Barbados, Aruba, & Curacao
Royal Caribbean Enchantment of the Seas Nov 2016: Nassau, Coco Cay, Key West
Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas B2B Oct 2017: Southampton, Rotterdam, Brussels, Cherbourg & Le Havre
Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas Transatlantic Oct 2017: Southampton, St. Maarten, St. Kitts, St. Thomas, San Juan, Labadee, Fort Lauderdale.
Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas B2B Oct 2018: Labadee, Falmouth, Cozumel.
Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas Oct 2018: Nassau, St. Thomas, St. Maarten.
Royal Caribbean Vision of the Seas Jan 2019: New Orleans, Cozumel, Costa Maya, Grand Cayman
Georgia
8,686 Posts
Joined Jun 2004
Originally posted by Drazil65
I honestly believe that many people are not raised with manners (see it everywhere not just cruise ships) any longer and ultimately those people are now raising a generation of kids that do not have manners or a general respect for those around them either. When you have kids running through hallways, playing on elevators (a big reason to take the stairs) and leaving food EVERYWHERE around the ship (stairways seem to be the big area to leave dishes for kids) and running their little mouths in a very disrespectful way is all the proof you need.
Perhaps, but let's not forget that our grandparents said roughly the same about our parents and our parents said roughly the same about us. There are noticeable differences with regard to the Millennials, especially having much to do with their valuing of things versus experience in general, but the truth is that people have been complaining about rowdiness, messiness, and potty mouths since we were young and probably a lot longer than that.

Originally posted by Drazil65
I have heard some of these parents comment that they are on vacation and they love cruising because they basically dont see their kids for a week (let them roam/run free), like the ship is a giant babysitter cuz they cannot go far.
Parents in the younger generations do seem to be more laissez faire than parents in our generation were, but at best that just accounts for an incremental amount of hubbub. That much is undeniable.

Originally posted by asylum575
My thoughts were that there can't be that many people who didn't go to kindergarten and learn how to stand in line and follow instructions.
I don't think it is so much that people didn't go to kindergarten but rather than they're learning how to behave from our society. I think there is a rather unhealthy attitude very pervasive in society that has many excessively narrowly concerned about their own considerations and dreadfully inadequately considerate of how things affect other people. It was very interesting this past week hearing Governor Scott of Florida trying to teach people the kindergarten lesson on sharing, imploring them not to top off their gasoline tanks and instead take just as much gasoline as they'll need to get to a local shelter, so that there is gasoline left for others to have some so that they can also evacuate.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming:
11/11/2017 Carnival Magic (W. Caribbean) [Roll Call]
6/30/2018 ms Nieuw Amsterdam (Alaska) [Roll Call]
Companies that subscribe to the notion of the always rational consumer risk misunderstanding the factors that motivate individual customers’ buying decisions. - WSJ 11/11/2014
3,515 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
Originally posted by wemjam
So I was sitting here reading some posts on cruise critic, and something dawned on me. We have alot of very experienced cruisers and some not so much. I got to thinking about all the things on all my cruises that have annoyed me about fellow cruisers and all the things I have learned to make sure I do. I had to wonder is it all just due to extremely poor manners or just inexperience others are not doing these things? I would like to think that most people are considerate and maybe just “don’t realize” what impact they have on others. Keeping in mind we are talking about a lot of people in a pretty confined space for days on end, I thought I would give my 2 cents worth to any newbie’s out there, or just plain oblivious people, about those things you need to think about when cruising on a Carnival vacation. Please join in!!

Don’t let you room door slam – this literally sends shockwaves through the walls of the room next to you and I can’t count how many times my head has bounced off the wall while watching TV from this – and it is VERY loud

Your voice carries! Please don’t stand in the hallway having extended conversations or walk down the hall yelling at the person 10 feet in front of you.

Please don’t carry on/off the ship more luggage than you can handle! I have been tripped at least 3 times because the 100 lb. lady in front of me dropped her 200 lb. suit case because she couldn’t manage it. And Ihave seen at least 10 times as many suit cases dropped over on someone else! If you can’t handle it, let theporters do it for you it's free! But always tip the help lol!

Please don’t cut in line! Everyone else has waited their turn to get to whatever it is, so should you! This is especially true for the buffet where you just got to get one more serving of that awesome whatever you had. Now I will be glad to step aside and let you grab that silverware/bowl/plate you forgot or even that pat of butter, but me and the 50 other people behind me have waited our turn at that food, and so should you – even if it is just one serving of just that one thing!

Don’t reuse a dirty plate, glass, etc. This REALLY is important. I don’t feel like spending my vacation in the 3x2 bathroom because you decided to put the glass you drank out of back under the dispenser and get some more lemonade. Always grab a clean vessel for any food. This applies to those of us, like me, who like to bring their own Tervis, or other such glass. Always use a clean glass they provide and fill it, then fill yours!

PLEASE use the hand sanitizer before you start eating! Same thing as above! Unless you JUST washed your hands and didn’t touch anything, I really don’t want your germs on my hands too!

PLEASE, please, please mind your children. This is coming from someone that has cruised with kids before and now does not. I know you are on vacation, and so are they – but so are the other 2000 people onboard with you! We should not have to deal with your kids because you are not. I don’t want to stop at every single floor in the elevator, when the one I step into mysteriously has all the buttons lit up. I don’t want to eat out of that tray of food they just picked up something out of with their bare fingers and threw it back in! I don’t want to be plowed down in the hallway as they run wild.

Don’t leave your garbage/dirt dishes/etc. all over. Come on people! There are proper places everywhere on the ship you can hand these items off at. It is gross to get in an elevator and see your ˝ eaten slice of pizza or knock over that glass of whatever you didn’t finish.

Do remember to thank those that serve you, and praise the people taking care of you! They work sohard and they are not on vacation! A little respect and thoughtfulness goes a long way.

Do ask others for information. Watch for those Gold/Platinum(Silver)/Diamond (White) cards hanging around people’s necks. Almost all of us will be glad to talk cruising with you and give you the “inside” scoop on our best secrets. We love to share our insight and love of cruising with you!

If it is your first time on the ship, or cruising in general, grab a little fold out map right at the customer care desk… this will help you when you get lost lol! Also watch for ship diagrams right by the elevators.

Always read your Carnival fun times delivered to your room each night, this is where you can get a bunch of great info on things you might otherwise miss. This is usually the last thing I do at night before we settle in to go to sleep. There is also a “tear off” tab on one outside edge of the page that lists all the great highlights of activities for the day, this is perfect to slide into your pocket and carry around with you so you can make sure to be a part of all the great stuff that interests you.

Oh and finally - Don't try to smoke where you shouldn't. I have been woke up by a officer in uniform knocking at my door inquiring if we were smoking on our balcony because someone in our area was! I know it sucks that it is limited where you can smoke, but don't make others suffer for your attempts at "bending the rules." This goes for vaping too... you can only vape where you can smoke on board - not where ever it suits you.

This is my master list… anyone else with words of wisdom please join in!
Everything you said above I say ditto to that! We're thinking about cutting back on cruising, it may be burn out from dealing with everything above. I'd like to add one pet peeve to the list, passengers licking their fingers then go back to the buffet to handle the serving spoons. I sat across from a young woman who was working her fingers out in her mouth. I finally said something to her, I did not care about her reaction or if I hurt her feelings. It was just plain nasty.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Cruises

05/2017 Grand Princess - Alaska
02/2017 Grand Princess - Hawaii
11/2016 Royal Princess - Caribbean
10/2016 Caribbean Princess - New England
5/2016 Carnival Legend - Alaska
4/2016 Coral Princess - Panama Canal
2/2016 Ruby Princess - Mexican Riviera
1/2016 Ruby Princess - Hawaii
12/2015 Island Princess - Panama Canal
9/2015 Carnival Miracle - Mexico
5/2015 Golden Princess - Alaska
4/2015 Crown Princess - California Coastal
1/2015 Star Princess - Hawaii
10/2014 Star Princess--Mexico
8/2014 Carnival Imagination--Mexico
5/2014 Star Princess (Alaska)
2/2014 Sapphire Princess--Mexico
11/2013 Grand Princess--Hawaii
8/2013 Carnival Miracle--Alaska
1/2013 Inspiration--Mexico
1/2013 Inspiration (b2b)--Mexico
10/2012 Island Princess (Panama Canal)
10/2010 Carnival Spirit--Mexico
10/2010 Carnival Spirit-b2b--Mexico
1/2010 Carnival Splendor--Mexico
1/2009 Carnival Spirit--Mexico
11/2007 Carnival Spirit--Mexico
1/2004 Diamond Princess--Mexico
11/2003 Carnival Pride--Mexico
12/2002 Carnival Elation--Mexico
1/2001 Carnival Elation--Mexico
5/2000 Carnival Elation--Mexico
1986 - RCCL Song of America--Caribbean
1984 - RCCL Song of Norway-
-Caribbean
Oklahoma
34 Posts
Joined May 2010
Originally posted by SPKEMO
How do they manage charging for drinks if you don't have a Sail and sign card?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
I have read on a few threads that you can use your boarding pass to add your drinks to your S&S account before you get your card.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Triumph ~ October 2017 ~ Big Cruise With My Family & Lots O’ Friends!
Carnival Conquest ~ April 2013 ~ With My Girls!
Carnival Dream ~ November 2011 ~ Family Cruise!
Carnival Conquest ~ October 2010 ~ First Time Cruiser!

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

MarkTwain
Paris IL
1,781 Posts
Joined Sep 2014
Originally posted by shortyjoesmith
I have read on a few threads that you can use your boarding pass to add your drinks to your S&S account before you get your card.
This is true. Also, people are worried that their cards might be stolen out of the mailbox and someone would run up charges on it. Thing is, when you use your card or boarding pass to buy something, your picture appears on the screen. So, unless the thief looks alot like you, you should be safe....

Sent from my Galaxy 4
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
I suffer from CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are in alphabetical order, as they SHOULD be...
"An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications" - Lazarus Long
Growing old is mandatory - growing up is optional.....
NY
355 Posts
Joined May 2013
Please do not leave your balcony light on all night............so that it shines in my cabin. When out on your balcony use an "indoor voice". Yes, you are outside, but do I need or want to hear every word of your convo including cursing? TY.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Pride Journeys Panama Canal Feb 2017
Carnival Vista Journeys Eastern Caribbean Nov 2016
Carnival Sunshine NE & Canada Sept 2016
Carnival Vista Inaugural Mediterranean May 2016
Carnival Pride "Hurricane Joaquin" Cruise Sept 2015
Carnival Splendor NE & Canada 2015
Carnival Pride Repo Cruise March 15 2015
Carnival Splendor NY-Caribbean Oct 2014
Carnival Pride Exotic Eastern Caribbean Sept 2014
Carnival Valor Southern Caribbean March 2014
Carnival Splendor Eastern Caribbean Sept 2013
Carnival Glory Western Caribbean April 2013
Carnival Glory Canada Cruise July 2012
Norwegian Gem Bahamas March 2011
Regent Sun Eastern Caribbean March 1990
697 Posts
Joined Jun 2014
Originally posted by Loving My Life
I'll second the slamming doors. Please just don't do it.

I'll add:

Please don't leave trays full of plates and half eaten food in the hallways. Not only is it unpleasant to see and smell, it makes it difficult to walk down the hall and it makes it especially hard for drunk people to walk down the hall. It's really not fun to be woken up in the middle of the night to the sounds of breaking dishes, bodies hitting the wall on the way down to the floor, and then laughing or crying.

Please don't bring your diaper clad baby or toddler into a pool, hot tub, or splash area unless it is a dedicated diaper area. The rule is in place to prevent the spread of illnesses. Similarly, if you are an adult, please don't wear an adult diaper/liner in the pools or hot tub, and if you are drink and need to pee, get out and use a bathroom. Don't pee in the pool/hot tub.

Carnival specifically asks you to leave your tray in the hallway. This dead horse has been beaten. It's their boat, they make the rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
www.daveandlorigotstogo.com
White Plains, NY
201 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
The hot tubs are not kiddie pools
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Victory - Western Caribbean - 8/21/17
Disney Dream - Bahamas - 1/25/16
Norwegian Breakaway - CTN - 2/13/15
Disney Dream - Bahamas - 12/7/14
Norwegian Epic - Eastern Caribbean - 1/5/13
Carnival Destiny - Western Caribbean - 3/31/11
Crown Princess - Western Caribbean - 12/5/09
Crown Princess - Eastern Caribbean - 3/22/09
Carnival Victory - Western Caribbean - 2/25/07
Greensboro,NC
188 Posts
Joined Feb 2001
Hallelujah and Amen! My pet peeve also!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Soapbxking

If you can walk outside and see only water, it is a great day indeed.

USS Worden CG-18(US Navy)
Imagination 11/2001
Triumph 07/2002
Paradise 05/2003
Paradise 5/2012
Liberty 4/2013
Magic(booked for 2-17-2018)
Southwest Texas
140 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
My mom is in a wheelchair and sister on a scooter. We have spent a lot of time waiting for elevators because the able bodied people who rush in front of us. We can be standing right in front of the elevator, but get pushed aside. We either see incredibly rude people or incredibly nice people who help us.
U.S.
5,889 Posts
Joined May 2006
Originally posted by soapbxking
Hallelujah and Amen! My pet peeve also!!

Soapbxking, I had to laugh at your signature:

"If you can walk outside and see only water, it is a great day indeed."

I'll bet the people around Houston would disagree. Lol.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
39 cruises and counting.....
Portland, OR
431 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
1) I you are able bodied, take the stairs (especially if it is only one or two flights)
2) If you see someone struggling with their 150 pound suitcase...offer to help cause it's the nice thing to do. You may just make a new friend or at least make someone's day.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruises:
March 2008 - Western Caribbean - Grand Princess
December 2008 - Baja Mexico - Carnival Elation
April 2009 - Mexican Riviera detoured to San Francisco - Mariner of the Seas
March 2011 - Spring Break on the NCL Star to Mexican Riviera
Feb 2012 - Eastern/Southern Caribbean - NCL Dawn
August 2014 - Alaska - NCL Jewel
November 2015 - Western Caribbean - Emerald Princess
Central Nebraska
125 Posts
Joined Feb 2016
Originally posted by lax19
1) I you are able bodied, take the stairs (especially if it is only one or two flights)
2) If you see someone struggling with their 150 pound suitcase...offer to help cause it's the nice thing to do. You may just make a new friend or at least make someone's day.
Agreed!

The only time I didn't take the stairs was when my shoes were hurting my feet (on elegant night) and when I'd tweaked my bad knee one day. On elegant night I was waiting for the elevator along with a lovely lady on a scooter. When the doors opened she actually told me to go on ahead of her. I did and I held the "open door" button on the elevator so she could actually back onto the elevator which made it easier for her to get off when we got to our destination. She thanked me profusely and commented she wished everyone would do the same. (I wish more people knew about the "Open door" button on elevators)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Chicagoland Area
2,257 Posts
Joined Aug 2002
Agree with all of these. Especially the smoking on the balcony.

I'll add on - please don't play music on your balcony. I get it, I would like music on my balcony too, especially when I sail with friends and we open the divider. But we're not the only ones out there and not everyone likes our music. :P So please use headphones. I don't want to listen to your music blaring away, with you trying to sing [badly I might add] along with it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Premier Royale 1985
CCL Holiday 09/26/89
CCL Tropicale 09/94

CCL Fantasy 02/98
RCCL Sovereign of the Seas 06/01
CCL Fascination 08/19/02
CCL Imagination 01/20/03
RCCL Sovereign of the Seas 07/03
CCL Inspiration 11//1804
Celebrity Zenith 11/05
CCL Carnival Valor 09/13/09
CCL Carnival Legend 02/27/11
CCL Imagination 12/5/11 b2b 1st solo!
CCL Imagination 12/9/11 b2b, solo and platinum!
CCL Imagination 04//3012
CCL Destiny 11/12/12 solo
CCL Imagination 02/4/13 b2b
CCL Imagination 02/8/13 b2b and solo
CCL Valor 11/10/13 - 1st balcony - extended aft!
CCL Splendor 11/01/14 - Repositioning San Juan to Miami!
CCL Splendor 05/02/15 solo!
CCL Freedom 10/17/15
CCL Glory 02/02/16 11 Day Journey
CCL Dream 09/04/16 Solo
CCL Pride 01/02/17 ~~ 13 Day Solo Journey - Panama Canal!

CCL Glory 05/13/17 Solo
Upcoming:
Kauai and the Big Island, September/October 2017

CCL Horizon 05/09/18 ~ Solo and First Transatlantic!
CCL Legend 09/05/18 ~ Alaska!
Landlubber: Road Trip Out West 1995/Florida Keys 1996, 1999/Grand Cayman 1998, 2002/Hawaii 1997, 2003, 2006, 2012/Belize 2004/Cabo San Lucas 2005/Cozumel 2007/AWESOME FIJI 2008, 2010 and 2014!
Never ask for directions from a starfish.

191 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Sorry...but I will never use hand sanitizer.

Great, way to think about others with your germs and sickness all over the buffet area, the door handles and anythings else you touch. I know you are not in the bathroom washing your hands 24/7 to fight against the possibility of spreading something, it is not possible to actually be washing your hands that much while on the ship. I am sure you will tell us all about sanitizer not being useful and blah, blah, blah and how you rebel against it is at least an attempt to reduce things being spread. You cannot count on people to wash their hands continually or at all in the bathroom.

Sorry, But I will also never use hand sanitizer. I , like most people my age I suspect, was taught to "wash up" before every meal. 50+ years later, I still visit the restroom and wash my hands with SOAP & WATER before every meal. I do the same on a cruise ship. It is quite "possible"

5,356 Posts
Joined May 2010
Originally posted by jma624
Sorry...but I will never use hand sanitizer.

Great, way to think about others with your germs and sickness all over the buffet area, the door handles and anythings else you touch. I know you are not in the bathroom washing your hands 24/7 to fight against the possibility of spreading something, it is not possible to actually be washing your hands that much while on the ship. I am sure you will tell us all about sanitizer not being useful and blah, blah, blah and how you rebel against it is at least an attempt to reduce things being spread. You cannot count on people to wash their hands continually or at all in the bathroom.

Sorry, But I will also never use hand sanitizer. I , like most people my age I suspect, was taught to "wash up" before every meal. 50+ years later, I still visit the restroom and wash my hands with SOAP & WATER before every meal. I do the same on a cruise ship. It is quite "possible"
I can't use the sanitizer as it inflames my Eczema causing my skin to peel and flake off. I've gotten hate looks from many a passenger but would you rather have my flaking skin in your buffet food?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature