FTTF Luggage

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:16 PM.
North-Central Texas
36 Posts
Joined May 2016
Does Carnival not have an expedited luggage "que" for FTTF guests, similar to the way they do boarding?

I ask because, we've purchased it twice, and both times, our luggage didn't arrive for a few hours.

I've seen it on the carts just buried amongst all the other passenger bags by the elevators. This time, 4 of our 5 bags (Family of 5) came between 3:30 & 4:00 pm. The 5th bag got there sometime after 5:45pm and a visit to guest services, since it was delivered while at dinner.

The time from the curb dropping off our bags with a porter, to our room has been no more than 15 minutes both times. (Porter was tipped $15)

The luxury of having my room ready upon boarding, along with priority guest services, & tender alone is worth it in MY opinion. It's great to lounge in my room instead of navigating the ship looking for an empty seat while I wait for my room.

I just haven't seen the advertised benefit of having my luggage promptly delivered. I know that it's pressing to have it processed and delivered by the time I've gotten to my room in 15 minutes. But, I would think that luggage would at least be separated and placed on "priority" carts for, yes of course first for the Platinum/Diamond, and then for the FTTF cruisers.

Anyway, my disclaimer here is that I'm not mad or even griping. Just sitting here in Montego Bay, waiting for the wife to get dressed for the MDR, and figured I'd ask. I will continue to purchase it as long as it is offered. I'm just sharing my experiences with FTTF, and inquiring if my experiences have just been flukes, or if it's the norm.

Happy Sailing to you all from the beautiful Carnival Breeze!

Sent from my Moto Z Droid.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Liberty ~ April 2016 Progreso & Cozumel
Beaverton, OR
315 Posts
Joined Oct 2008
I can't quote times, but three of our bags were delivered very early. The fourth bag didn't arrive until after dinner. I wasn't terribly impressed... especially since all the luggage was dropped off together?? The early luggage delivery wasn't one of the key reasons we purchased FTTF on that cruise, though, and everything else was exactly as promised.

Thanks for the peek of your view. It looks gorgeous, enjoy!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cheers! Michelle

March 2009 - Carnival Conquest, Western Caribbean ~ Montego Bay, Cozumel, Grand Cayman
June 2012 - Carnival Inspiration ~ Ensenada
March 2013- Carnival Freedom, Southern Caribbean ~ Freeport (replaced Grand Turk), La Romana DR, Curacao, Aruba
July 2016 - Carnival Inspiration ~ Ensenada
October 2016 - Carnival Imagination ~ Catalina Island, Ensenada **Gold!**
18,190 Posts
Joined Nov 2009
Originally posted by Defender1791
Does Carnival not have an expedited luggage "que" for FTTF guests, similar to the way they do boarding?

I ask because, we've purchased it twice, and both times, our luggage didn't arrive for a few hours.

I've seen it on the carts just buried amongst all the other passenger bags by the elevators. This time, 4 of our 5 bags (Family of 5) came between 3:30 & 4:00 pm. The 5th bag got there sometime after 5:45pm and a visit to guest services, since it was delivered while at dinner.

The time from the curb dropping off our bags with a porter, to our room has been no more than 15 minutes both times. (Porter was tipped $15)

The luxury of having my room ready upon boarding, along with priority guest services, & tender alone is worth it in MY opinion. It's great to lounge in my room instead of navigating the ship looking for an empty seat while I wait for my room.

I just haven't seen the advertised benefit of having my luggage promptly delivered. I know that it's pressing to have it processed and delivered by the time I've gotten to my room in 15 minutes. But, I would think that luggage would at least be separated and placed on "priority" carts for, yes of course first for the Platinum/Diamond, and then for the FTTF cruisers.

Anyway, my disclaimer here is that I'm not mad or even griping. Just sitting here in Montego Bay, waiting for the wife to get dressed for the MDR, and figured I'd ask. I will continue to purchase it as long as it is offered. I'm just sharing my experiences with FTTF, and inquiring if my experiences have just been flukes, or if it's the norm.

Happy Sailing to you all from the beautiful Carnival Breeze!

That is why FTTF is a waste of $$$$$$$$$
Northern Wisconsin
3,697 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
When you get to the port, be sure to ask the luggage handlers where the FTTF luggage goes.
They're supposed to note the luggage tags and place it in the "priority" wagon.
Same goes for Platinum, etc.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Big Red Boat 1995
CCL Triumph 2005
CCL Triumph 2007
CCL Valor 2009
CCL Freedom2010
CCL Miracle 2011
CCL Legend 2012
CCL Splenor 2013
CCL Valor 2015
CCL Conquest 2016
CCL Glory 2017

Atlanta, GA
1,747 Posts
Joined Jun 2011
Originally posted by jayscore
When you get to the port, be sure to ask the luggage handlers where the FTTF luggage goes.
They're supposed to note the luggage tags and place it in the "priority" wagon.
Same goes for Platinum, etc.
The porters are also supposed to tie an orange "Priority" tag to your luggage if you're entitled to priority delivery (FTTF, Plat, Diamond). In practice, I've found that they tend to forget...seemingly regardless of how much you tip them.

As the porters don't actually work for Carnival, in some cases these delays might not be Carnival's fault.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Magic, 10/07/2018 -- great itinerary and a new ship class to explore!
Independence of the Seas, 2/1/2018 -- 70,000 Tons of Metal music cruise, 60 bands, 4 stages!
Carnival Vista, 10/1/2017 -- with 6 friends, new ship and first time to Grand Cayman!
Independence of the Seas, 2/2/2017 -- 70,000 Tons of Metal music cruise, third year "survivor"!
Carnival Conquest 10/9/2016 -- HMC (missed), Amber Cove and Grand Turk.Cruise Critic review
Independence of the Seas, 2/04/2016 -- 70,000 Tons of Metal music cruise, second-year "survivor"!
Carnival Conquest, 10/12/2015 -- Nassau, HMC (missed) and Grand Turk -- Columbus Day escape
Liberty of the Seas, 1/22/2015, 70,000 Tons of Metal music cruise, my first time and it was amazing!
Carnival Freedom, 10/13/2014, HMC, Grand Turk and Nassau -- two faves and one meh port
Carnival Victory, 10/14/2013, HMC, Nassau and Grand Turk -- good inexpensive getaway!
Review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1933799
Carnival Liberty, 9/29/2012, HMC (missed), St. Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk -- great 7-day itinerary! Review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1721966
Carnival Imagination, 1/30/2012, Key West, Cozumel -- birthday cruise and mom's anniversary cruise! Review: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=96886
RCCL's Majesty of the Seas, 10/25/2010, Nassau, Key West, Cococay -- first cruise and hooked on cruising!
Georgia
8,686 Posts
Joined Jun 2004
Originally posted by cfr70
Do you get a partial refund on FTTF if your bags arrive to your cabin late?
Someone pointed out to me several weeks ago that FTTF guarantees availability of your stateroom "as soon as you board", but only promises "priority" handling of your luggage because they "process thousands of bags". There is no guarantee that it'll be available early.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming:
11/11/2017 Carnival Magic (W. Caribbean) [Roll Call]
6/30/2018 ms Nieuw Amsterdam (Alaska) [Roll Call]
Companies that subscribe to the notion of the always rational consumer risk misunderstanding the factors that motivate individual customers’ buying decisions. - WSJ 11/11/2014
North-Central Texas
36 Posts
Joined May 2016
Originally posted by riclop
That is why FTTF is a waste of $$$$$$$$$
Wow, such an insightful response! I totally forgot that the post asked for "opinions" from people who clearly didn't read the entire post! Congrats on adding one more to your post count ticker!

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Central Ohio
2,194 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
Wow, such an insightful response! I totally forgot that the post asked for "opinions" from people who clearly didn't read the entire post! Congrats on adding one more to your post count ticker!

Riclop is our resident anti-FTTF crusader. His posts are always short and always stating how FTTF is a waste of money.

OP -- I agree. I have never experienced "expedited" luggage service with FTTF, even though on our last cruise I witness the orange sticker being placed on our bags. This cruise, I think we are going to attempt the all-dreaded carry-on.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

2016 - Carnival Sunshine (CA/NE)
2015 - Carnival Paradise
2014 - Carnival Elation
2012 - Carnival Sensation
North-Central Texas
36 Posts
Joined May 2016
Originally posted by cfr70
Do you get a partial refund on FTTF if your bags arrive to your cabin late?
No. I didn't ask, and it wasn't offered. Guest services sent a message via computer somewhere to have the 5th bag looked for.
The only bag arrival time I was a little upset about about was the 5th bag arriving sometime after 5:45pm.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

VA
14,030 Posts
Joined Dec 2004
Whenever we made sure the porter put the orange sticker on the bags, they got to our cabins within a few minutes of us getting there. The one time someone forgot to mention the sticker to the porter, it arrived right before muster.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
If you have any questions, please contact me at firemanbobswife at ymail dot com. I'm always glad to help!
Carnival Conquest 12/2003, 1/2014, 8/2017
Carnival Valor 1/2005
Carnival Liberty 12/2007
Carnival Glory 5/2013, 10/2013, 5/2014, 10/2014, 5/2015, 12/2015, 2/2016, 10/2016

Carnival Vista 3/2017
Celebrity Solstice 12/2008, 12/2009
Celebrity Eclipse 12/2010, 12/2011
Celebrity Reflection 12/2012
North-Central Texas
36 Posts
Joined May 2016
Ok, so there IS evidently a process that's supposed to be followed. Maybe $3 a bag isn't enough to remind some Porters to put this sticker on the already obvious FTTF tags? Who knows. Thanks guys for the information!

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

83 Posts
Joined Jul 2017
Ok, so there IS evidently a process that's supposed to be followed. Maybe $3 a bag isn't enough to remind some Porters to put this sticker on the already obvious FTTF tags? Who knows. Thanks guys for the information!

It is my understanding that you have to ask the porters for the orange FTTF stickers. We intend to do this next weekend for sure!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Freedom 09/23/2017
Carnival Triumph 05/03/2012
Carnival Ecstacy 05/05/2007
Carnival Celebration 05/13/2004
Carnival Jubilee 08/14/2003
Carnival Fantasy 06/1992
744 Posts
Joined Oct 2004
Luggage is a crap shoot at best. We have gotten the FTTF for our cruise out of San Juan free as a suite perk? Anyway, on an NCL cruise, I was shorted one bag. Next day, still no bag and was looked at like I was a BS artist looking for something free. Day 3, came back from breakfast and bag was in the room. Looked like it went thru a thorough search which was ok, it was all normal stuff. I called guest services and they knew nothing about the found bag but they were extremely happy for me and did check with security. Room steward also knew nothing about how it got there. Room door was always closed and locked so never found how it arrived. I wanted to check with the Magician on board but he was terrible so I did not waste my time with him.
VA
14,030 Posts
Joined Dec 2004
You need to tell the porter and watch them put them on. Many don't pay attention to the FTTF logo when grabbing your bags and they get sorted by the orange tags. No tag, no priority. I don't walk away until I see the tag on my bag.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
If you have any questions, please contact me at firemanbobswife at ymail dot com. I'm always glad to help!
Carnival Conquest 12/2003, 1/2014, 8/2017
Carnival Valor 1/2005
Carnival Liberty 12/2007
Carnival Glory 5/2013, 10/2013, 5/2014, 10/2014, 5/2015, 12/2015, 2/2016, 10/2016

Carnival Vista 3/2017
Celebrity Solstice 12/2008, 12/2009
Celebrity Eclipse 12/2010, 12/2011
Celebrity Reflection 12/2012
93 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Recently off the Conquest and our luggage was actually at the door prior to us getting there at 12:30.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Fascination 2006
Sensation 2007
Fascination 2008
Sensation 2008
Triumph 2013

Central Ohio
2,194 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
Originally posted by jackparts
Luggage is a crap shoot at best. We have gotten the FTTF for our cruise out of San Juan free as a suite perk?
It looks as though this is a question? You do not get FTTF as a suite perk (unless your TA purchased it for you). You do get some of the same perks as FTTF, but not all of them. You will get priority check-in and boarding, dining reservation guarantees, tender priority, and debarkation priority. You will not have expedited luggage, your room will not be able to enter your room early, and you will not have access to the priority Guest Services line.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

2016 - Carnival Sunshine (CA/NE)
2015 - Carnival Paradise
2014 - Carnival Elation
2012 - Carnival Sensation
Atlanta, GA
1,747 Posts
Joined Jun 2011
(regarding partial refunds)

No. I didn't ask, and it wasn't offered. Guest services sent a message via computer somewhere to have the 5th bag looked for.
The only bag arrival time I was a little upset about about was the 5th bag arriving sometime after 5:45pm.
They have been known to partially or fully refund the FTTF cost for delayed luggage; it's happened to us twice. On one occasion I was at Guest Services regarding another issue and mentioned the luggage not getting there until/during muster drill, and the GS officer immediately apologized and comped out the cost. --Which was pretty nice considering it's often the porters' oversight, and not Carnival's.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Magic, 10/07/2018 -- great itinerary and a new ship class to explore!
Independence of the Seas, 2/1/2018 -- 70,000 Tons of Metal music cruise, 60 bands, 4 stages!
Carnival Vista, 10/1/2017 -- with 6 friends, new ship and first time to Grand Cayman!
Independence of the Seas, 2/2/2017 -- 70,000 Tons of Metal music cruise, third year "survivor"!
Carnival Conquest 10/9/2016 -- HMC (missed), Amber Cove and Grand Turk.Cruise Critic review
Independence of the Seas, 2/04/2016 -- 70,000 Tons of Metal music cruise, second-year "survivor"!
Carnival Conquest, 10/12/2015 -- Nassau, HMC (missed) and Grand Turk -- Columbus Day escape
Liberty of the Seas, 1/22/2015, 70,000 Tons of Metal music cruise, my first time and it was amazing!
Carnival Freedom, 10/13/2014, HMC, Grand Turk and Nassau -- two faves and one meh port
Carnival Victory, 10/14/2013, HMC, Nassau and Grand Turk -- good inexpensive getaway!
Review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1933799
Carnival Liberty, 9/29/2012, HMC (missed), St. Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk -- great 7-day itinerary! Review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1721966
Carnival Imagination, 1/30/2012, Key West, Cozumel -- birthday cruise and mom's anniversary cruise! Review: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=96886
RCCL's Majesty of the Seas, 10/25/2010, Nassau, Key West, Cococay -- first cruise and hooked on cruising!
Minnesota
219 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
I am not sure which ship I was on or whether I was Platinum or had purchased FFTF...but....My luggage took forever to get to our cabin. My sister, in the same cabin as I was, received her luggage right away but mine didn't show up. It had the orange priority sticker on it etc. So then while going back and forth to our cabin we noticed it sitting on a luggage rack near the elevators. I thought of taking it when I first saw it but then thought, if I do that and they are delivering the luggage the staff might think it had been lifted by someone who shouldn't have it. I couldn't find anyone to ask.....so I left it there. About an hour later I returned and it was still there. All by itself on the rack so I did take it to our cabin. That is the first and last time I had a problem getting my luggage in a timely manner.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming Cruises:::
Carnival Magic. September '17, Eastern Caribbean Rontourage 2
Carnival Conquest, February '18. Southern Caribbean

Past Cruises:
Carnival Vista January '17....Southern Caribbean
Carnival Breeze July '16....Western Caribbean
Carnival Sunshine February '16...Southern Caribbean
Carnival Dream September '15..Western Caribbean
Carnival Conquest February '15..Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Breeze February '14...Southern Caribbean
Carnival Breeze February '13..Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Miracle February '12..Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Glory February 2011...Western Caribbean
Carnival Triumph January 2009..Eastern Caribbean
Leander TX
1,225 Posts
Joined Nov 2009
Originally posted by firemanbobswife
You need to tell the porter and watch them put them on. Many don't pay attention to the FTTF logo when grabbing your bags and they get sorted by the orange tags. No tag, no priority. I don't walk away until I see the tag on my bag.
I was going to say the same thing... I was warned to watch the porters put the orange FTTF baggage tag on all of your suitcases before you hand over any tips...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Breeze - Coming soon! Sep 17/17
Carnival Magic - Oct 2014 My Review http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2127532
Carnival Paradise - Jul 2012 My Review http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1674471
Carnival Sensation - Feb 2010
Carnival Inspiration - Feb 2008
Carnival Inspiration - Aug 1998
Big Red Boat - Feb 1996
Carnival Carnivale - Mar 1988