I'm RUNNING to the ship!

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Lose Before You Cruise
A place for cruisers to share their stories of how to lose weight before a cruise. Virtual snacks allowed, but only in small quantities.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:19 PM.
Duluth, GA
484 Posts
Joined May 2003
Cruise Cat, while I am not a doctor, I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express. You may want to see a sports doctor. Many times they have a better insight as to stretches, etc that you can do, than your primary care might. I know that when I am injured, my PCP tells me to stop running, at which point I instruct him, "Just give me a referral and I'll come back to you when I have a cold, thanks"

Got my 6 mile tempo run in yesterday. Today is another easy 3
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
11/16 Enchantment of the Seas
6/14 Norwegian Getaway
11/13 Norwegian Sky
6/13 Allure of the Seas
4/13 Disney Dream
6/12 Carnival Freedom
6/10 Celebrity Solstice
11/09 Carnival Imagination
6/08 Adventure of Seas
6/06 Carnival Valor
6/03 Grand Princess
6/98 Majesty of the Seas
(Can't remember the rest)
937 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
Two mile walk yesterday over lunch hour yesterday plus 3.5 miles on the treadmill this morning.

Start date: 3/5/06
Miles Behind Me: 13
Miles to Go: 1149
Days Remaining: 368

Starting to jog for longer stints; I'm going to work into that slowly.

Dan

937 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
Originally posted by MikeNKim
Hey Adam way to go on your 3 miles. I would love to run a marathon....along way from that goal but I was thinking the Disney one in January 2007 or 2008 depending on how I do.

Well, it is 2220.6 KMS to Tampa....so that would be just shy of 10 kms per day.....this will be tough....I might do it by the way the Crows fly...that will be less.... only 1831 KMS. I will start working on my goal today.

Thank you for starting this thread.

Kim
Kim - I'm going as the crow flies, although I'm thinking in fairness perhaps I should try to swim the portion that would be over Long Island Sound!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Celebrity Zenith, 2/95; Carnival Ecstasy, 4/96; Sunprincess, 2/97; Costavictoria, 3/00; Disney Magic 8/02; Celebrity Constellation; 3/13/04; Disney Magic 8/21/04; Disney Magic, 12/24/05; Constellation, 3/12/07. Freedom of the Seas, 2/14/2010; Liberty of the Seas Western Mediterranean, 6/25/2011; Carnival Freedom 4/15/2012
STAMFORD CT.
241 Posts
Joined Nov 2001
Good morning all........ Put me down for 4 miles yesterday the first one I did in 8 minutes!
Weather is going to break here in CT. this weekend, Maybe hit 70 WOO HOO!

REPEAT AFTER ME....Nothing tastes as good as the feeling you get when you put on a pair of pants that are LOOSE!!!!!!!!
937 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
Originally posted by seaver
Weather is going to break here in CT. this weekend, Maybe hit 70 WOO HOO!
Another nutmegger shares your joy for coming spring, which takes some of the bite out of yesterday's fiasco at the Madison Square Garden.

Go Huskies!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Celebrity Zenith, 2/95; Carnival Ecstasy, 4/96; Sunprincess, 2/97; Costavictoria, 3/00; Disney Magic 8/02; Celebrity Constellation; 3/13/04; Disney Magic 8/21/04; Disney Magic, 12/24/05; Constellation, 3/12/07. Freedom of the Seas, 2/14/2010; Liberty of the Seas Western Mediterranean, 6/25/2011; Carnival Freedom 4/15/2012
STAMFORD CT.
241 Posts
Joined Nov 2001
I can't get over what happen yesterday! Maybe a rest will do them good for the NCAA's
Where in Ct are you? I am in Stamford.
Ann Arbor, MI
7,759 Posts
Joined Apr 2002
OK I'll bite. I start back running on Sunday and I have a half Ironman this summer so I will be logging some serious miles running (help me). I will begin posting miles on Monday since I will be out of town when I start this seasons training. You know I have no desire to start running again and I have no idea why because I really like it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
All about my addictions: Cruising, my boys, writing romance and being a triathlete: blog.liedel.org
937 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
I can't get over what happen yesterday! Maybe a rest will do them good for the NCAA's
Where in Ct are you? I am in Stamford.
I live in Glastonbury (near Hartford). I have tickets to the final on Saturday night, too! I'm still going, though, and hoping for a Pitt - Syracuse matchup.

I don't think they needed the rest as much as they needed the wake up call. If they're going to the Final Four, they are going to have to start playing hard for 40 minutes!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
B - Ohio, R - Ohio, L - Texas
19,796 Posts
Joined Aug 2002
OK - Keep up the good work everyone!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruise Cat - Chuck

Co-Founder of the Proud Indulgent Rum And Tequilla Enjoyment Society

Carnival Breeze 10/30/2016 (Back and Better Than Ever!!!!)

REBOOT 2015-2016
Magic 2015, Magic-2014, Breeze-2013, Magic-2012,
Conquest-2011, Oasis B2B 2011, Conquest-2010, Ecstasy-2010,
Conquest-2009, Ecstasy-2009, Brilliance-2008, Miracle-2007, Conquest-2006,
Rhapsody-2005, Vision-2003, Rhapsody-2002, Inspiration-2001, Jubilee-1999
CT
5,361 Posts
Joined Apr 2004
I have really enjoyed reading this thread and have a few questions for the runners.

I compete in ballroom dancing, and I am rather protective of my knees! Since the ballroom dance position is always with a bent knee it does put a lot of stress on ones knees. The upper body stretches up and out while the lower body(the bent knees )stays very low to the floor. I wonder if running would increase the stress on my knees? We have a competition coming up and I am trying to increase my stamina and thought this would be good if it will not damage my knees any further.

Then the problem... I am just scared to death of treadmills because I just dont know how to do it. I belong to a gym and frankly am just to embarrased to ask for help. I have to be the only person in the world not quite sure how to operate the machine.... Do you turn it on, begin to walk or visa versa?
STAMFORD CT.
241 Posts
Joined Nov 2001
Most treadmills now a days have a quick start button all you have to do is get on hit the button and start walking, Then you can increase the speed by pressing the up arrows.
As far as your knees, As long as you buy GOOD SHOES you won't hve a problem, Go to a running store not a sporting goods store for your first pair.
B - Ohio, R - Ohio, L - Texas
19,796 Posts
Joined Aug 2002
SmoothDancer - When doing any type of excercise with your legs, body position/posture is the key to not injuring your knees and ankles. I can't go through it all and I am not an expert, but you might ask some trainers at your gym about it.

Chuck
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruise Cat - Chuck

Co-Founder of the Proud Indulgent Rum And Tequilla Enjoyment Society

Carnival Breeze 10/30/2016 (Back and Better Than Ever!!!!)

REBOOT 2015-2016
Magic 2015, Magic-2014, Breeze-2013, Magic-2012,
Conquest-2011, Oasis B2B 2011, Conquest-2010, Ecstasy-2010,
Conquest-2009, Ecstasy-2009, Brilliance-2008, Miracle-2007, Conquest-2006,
Rhapsody-2005, Vision-2003, Rhapsody-2002, Inspiration-2001, Jubilee-1999
937 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
Three miles on treadmill Friday evening. Yesterday, while in NYC to see Big East Championship, walked from cross-town, subway to WTC site, walked to Battery Park, up to South Street Seaport, to Chinatown for lunch, up Little Italy, across to Lower East Side, and Up to Soho, and cross-town again. Total time walking (w/ 74 year old father in tow, bless him!): 2.5 hours. Figure 4 miles.

Start date: 3/5/06
Miles Behind Me: 20
Miles to Go: 1142
Days Remaining: 365
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
STAMFORD CT.
241 Posts
Joined Nov 2001
Yesterday was a great day, Put me down for 8 miles @ 9 1/2 minute miles.

Just for your info started Jan. 9th @ 187.7 lbs and 13.9 % body fat
Today March 12th 174.2 lbs and 11.4 % body fat

Today is the first day of the rest of our lives.
Ann Arbor, MI
7,759 Posts
Joined Apr 2002
Originally posted by smoothdancer
I have really enjoyed reading this thread and have a few questions for the runners.

I compete in ballroom dancing, and I am rather protective of my knees! Since the ballroom dance position is always with a bent knee it does put a lot of stress on ones knees. The upper body stretches up and out while the lower body(the bent knees )stays very low to the floor. I wonder if running would increase the stress on my knees? We have a competition coming up and I am trying to increase my stamina and thought this would be good if it will not damage my knees any further.

Then the problem... I am just scared to death of treadmills because I just dont know how to do it. I belong to a gym and frankly am just to embarrased to ask for help. I have to be the only person in the world not quite sure how to operate the machine.... Do you turn it on, begin to walk or visa versa?
Dreadmills. I hate them but they work on snowy days. You would be better off on a dirt road imo.

Also running. If your knees are, well you compete in ballroom. Running is really hard on your joints, knees. I would walk instead for a while and see how you do first.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
All about my addictions: Cruising, my boys, writing romance and being a triathlete: blog.liedel.org
STAMFORD CT.
241 Posts
Joined Nov 2001
Originally posted by Nliedel
Dreadmills. I hate them but they work on snowy days. You would be better off on a dirt road imo.

Also running. If your knees are, well you compete in ballroom. Running is really hard on your joints, knees. I would walk instead for a while and see how you do first.
After years of running the only people that say that Running is really hard on your joints / knees are the people that don't run!
I know people do get injured BUT..............................................
If you start out slow and buy good shoes and listen to your body you will do fine.
Ann Arbor, MI
7,759 Posts
Joined Apr 2002
After years of running the only people that say that Running is really hard on your joints / knees are the people that don't run!
I know people do get injured BUT..............................................
If you start out slow and buy good shoes and listen to your body you will do fine.
So you are saying that I don't run? Last year I competed in several triathlons and running races including several 5 and 10K's as well as a 10 mile race, the results of which (CRIM) are available online if you do a search. I run about 30-35 miles a week. I also know a lot of runners with damaged knees from going to fast too soon. I have no reason to lie about my record and since race results are on the internet it would be to my detriment to.

I am also a (ISSA) certified personal trainer. I have been running for several years now and know what I am talking about. You are not required to agree with me but I find your veiled assertion that I lie to be offensive.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
STAMFORD CT.
241 Posts
Joined Nov 2001
Sorry, Did not mean to say that you are not a runner (when I reread it seems that way,SORRY), What I meant was that the people I come in contact with, When I tell them I am a runner and they are not, They always bring up the knee issue which I think at times is just a cop out.
And like I/WE said people do get hurt but If you take it slow or not fast you will be on the road to healthy running.

Again so sorry for the misunderstaing.
Ann Arbor, MI
7,759 Posts
Joined Apr 2002
Sorry, Did not mean to say that you are not a runner (when I reread it seems that way,SORRY), What I meant was that the people I come in contact with, When I tell them I am a runner and they are not, They always bring up the knee issue which I think at times is just a cop out.
And like I/WE said people do get hurt but If you take it slow or not fast you will be on the road to healthy running.

Again so sorry for the misunderstaing.
Apology accepted and moving on from here. I just urge caution. The first year I was running I badly overtrained. I was so into it I didn't look for the signs that it was too much. I got pneumonia and missed my marathon. I was miserable for months because of it. I just like people to build up slowly to their obessions.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature