Tubing - Is It Safe For A 5 Year Old ?

Colorado Buffalo

My daughter can't swim ....she's just learning.

I'm aware that life vests are worn. Is the hole in the tube covered

so a child can't fall through ?

What if the tube flips ?

I'd love to hear from those with small children who have done it.

Thanks

Do not know which tubing your asking about. We went down one in Ocho Rios and the tube had a bottom on it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Yes, the tubes have bottoms in them. The water is very shallow with tiny rapids. If she gets scared - she can always sit on your lap. My DD has done it since she was 4. She loves the idea of being in her own tube. The guides are very vigilant. I'd suggest going with a private tour - not the ship. They go in large groups - much more chaotic that I care to be involved in. We use Noel "Steve" Smith. He is very friendly and will make sure you have a great day. noelsmith66@yahoo.com

We did the tubing first and then went to the Falls. It was awesome. We arrived as all the massive ship tour buses were leaving. We climbed the falls on our own without a guide. Just took our time and took tons of gorgeous photos - sooo fun. DD just loved it. On the way back, we stopped for Jamaican jerk chicken and pork. Spectacular day with Noel(Steve). I must ask him how he got the nickname Steve?!?

When are you traveling?

Is there a water park in your home town with a lazy river in it so your child can see what it is like.

I would hate for you to get to the river and you child has a melt-down and wont get in.

Good luck

The river tubing we did thru RCI was bottom closed tubes, lame river, very slow, stopped to swim, it said some rough waters......not.

Sea Ya

• 2 weeks later...

We did river tubing privately with Courtney Taylor with our 4 year old and I'm almost positive it was not the same place as the ships go, but our son had absolutely no problem. We brought his puddle jumper with, the tubes had a bottom, and it's shallow. I think the deepest it got was right towards the end, and it was maybe 4 feet? There were some very small "rapids" but nothing our son didn't enjoy. They all had ropes so we could hang on to each other as well.

I have done cave tubing with .bz twice now. The first time my daughter was 3 years old and loved it. The second time was last year when she was 5 years old (and my 5 year old grandson went as well).

It all depends on you and your child's comfort level. I personally would only let my daughter (who is very daring to begin with and loves the water) sit on my lap during the excursion.

I have 2 reviews listed in my signature that you are welcome to look at.

***edit, I forgot I was in the Jamaica thread. My reviews are from Belize, but they still list our experiences during a cave tubing event if you are interested.***

Edited by mitsugirly