San Diego Zoo

Has anyone gone to the San Diego Zoo on your own instead of doing the ship excursion? I will be on the Sapphire Princess, visiting San Diego on April 11. Does anyone know where the ship will dock and what the taxi fare would be from the dock to the zoo? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. :)

• 2 weeks later...

It's walkable if you're in good enough condition. We did that a few years back - walked up from the ship and all around at the zoo. I wimped out and we took a taxi back down to the ship. I still hear about that from time to time.

It's walkable if you're in good enough condition. We did that a few years back - walked up from the ship and all around at the zoo. I wimped out and we took a taxi back down to the ship. I still hear about that from time to time.

I'm very impressed that you walked it, but wouldn't recommend it for most people. You'd have to be in very good shape, as it's over 3 1/2 miles one way, unless you find a shortcut through the wooded canyons. Then, the zoo itself covers 99 acres, all of it up and down pretty steep hills. Take a cab - won't be very expensive and much more enjoyable!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Has anyone gone to the San Diego Zoo on your own instead of doing the ship excursion? I will be on the Sapphire Princess, visiting San Diego on April 11. Does anyone know where the ship will dock and what the taxi fare would be from the dock to the zoo? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. :)

If we do the zoo on our own....Does anyone have any suggestions how to get around the park efficiently without wasting a lot of time?

If we do the zoo on our own....Does anyone have any suggestions how to get around the park efficiently without wasting a lot of time?

1) Order tickets online so you don't have to stand in line to purchase them

2) As soon as you enter the park, turn right towards the bus ride that takes you all around the zoo so you can get the "lay of the land"

3) If you have time for a nice lunch, I recommend "Albert's"--a very nice eatery in the park

I second taking a cab from the port to the Zoo. There's no way in hades that I'd attempt to walk there!!!

Here's a link to the zoo's map that you can download. The "Walking the Zoo" section in the upper left corner of the map gives the estimated time to walk each road in the zoo, and also describes the terrain. Notice that the word "steep" appears for most roads. They're not kidding! I was exhausted schlepping up and down the sides of a canyon trying to see everything. I suggest you take the bus around the park first, then walk to the animals you're most interested in seeing close up, based on the info on the map.

http://www.sandiegozoo.org/zoo/zoo_map

Xyankee--We have been to the zoo many times while on a cruise. You can catch the public bus not far from the pier. You may need to transfer, but the bus drivers are friendly and helpful. They will drop you off right at the zoo. To go back, you will catch the bus in the same spot where they dropped you off. It is simple as can be.

Often, there is a person just outside the cruise terminal who has brochures for activities in San Diego and they will sometimes have coupons to get a reduced ticket at the zoo.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
1) Order tickets online so you don't have to stand in line to purchase them

2) As soon as you enter the park, turn right towards the bus ride that takes you all around the zoo so you can get the "lay of the land"

3) If you have time for a nice lunch, I recommend "Albert's"--a very nice eatery in the park

I second taking a cab from the port to the Zoo. There's no way in hades that I'd attempt to walk there!!!

Does anyone know if the bus in the zoo functions as a hop on/hop off, I don't think my husband could walk it if there is a lot of steep up and down.

Does anyone know if the bus in the zoo functions as a hop on/hop off, I don't think my husband could walk it if there is a lot of steep up and down.

It does allow hop on and off privileges. As I recall there is the main bus "tour" which takes you on a route with an explanation from the driver/guide and then there's different buses that do the hopping. There's also a sky ride that takes you to and from the front and back of the park if you like.

It does allow hop on and off privileges. As I recall there is the main bus "tour" which takes you on a route with an explanation from the driver/guide and then there's different buses that do the hopping. There's also a sky ride that takes you to and from the front and back of the park if you like.

Perfect - Thanks so much!!!

There is only one pier terminal in San Diego. Balboa Park is relatively close to port.

taxifarefinder dot com is a good resource for approximating taxi fares.

I just took a taxi Sunday from the cruise port to the San Diego Zoo and it cost me $16.00 to get there and a little over $14 to get back. It depends how much traffic there is. They are on a meter, not a set price.

Edited by smitty3000

I was just at the zoo Sunday and was very impressed how it is set up. They have a bus that does a 35 minute tour and then they have other bus/trolley type vehicles that are hop on hop off. There are five stops. Only had to walk up 1 hill and that was because I wanted to walk from the Polar Rim back to the aerial lift. Really set up nice. They even have a moving sidewalk going up hill that you can stand on and ride up. Like an escalator but without steps. :)

Edited by smitty3000

• 6 months later...

We visited the zoo last Thursday and used the bus. The closest bus stop to the cruise terminal is at Broadway and 1st street, which is a hike from the terminal - much farther than I was lead to believe on these boards. Take the #7 bus. The fare is $2.25 per person each way. It will drop you at the zoo. I recommend using a cab if you are not up to walking.

• 1 month later...

Oh my goodness, I would never consider walking from the pier to the zoo even though it may be possible. Taking a taxi will make best use of your time in port.

One of the things that I love about the zoo, is every time we go, it's a different experience. There is no logical route to take where you will see everything. The advice to take the bus tour, and then hit your favorites is a good one. Personally, the orangutans are my favorite, followed by walking through Elephant Odyssey. My kids always insist on riding the sky ride, which also gives you a birds-eye view of some of the Balboa Park architecture.