Thrilling Mystery on Board Ship

Felicia123

Does anyone have a suggestion for an engrossing mystery novel to read during the crossing? I've enjoyed Donna Leon, Elizabeth Peters, Martin Walker in the past. Ideas?

No, sorry, no ideas...but, kudos - that is a very catchy title for a thread, and certainly one to divert from any subject that might be controversial.:) Cheers -S.

Does anyone have a suggestion for an engrossing mystery novel to read during the crossing? I've enjoyed Donna Leon, Elizabeth Peters, Martin Walker in the past. Ideas?

Might I suggest one of the following titles:

The case of the missing formal night

Murder in the Commodore Club

The man without a tie at dinner

Tragedy in the Princess Grill

Drowning at the Spa

The crime of the substandard afternoon tea

The Bingo Killer

The hanging in the Atrium

Slaughter at sail away

The case of the unwanted upgrade

The story of how the QM2 isn't as good as the QE2 (it's quite a long story though!)

The unfortunate case of the dress code defier

The story of the passenger who booked a disembarkation day flight before midday (it's a real page turner as you wait to see if they make their flight)

might i suggest one of the following titles:

murder in the commodore club

the man without a tie at dinner

tragedy in the princess grill

drowning at the spa

the crime of the substandard afternoon tea

the bingo killer

the hanging in the atrium

slaughter at sail away

the case of the unwanted upgrade

the story of how the qm2 isn't as good as the qe2 (it's quite a long story though!)

the unfortunate case of the dress code defier

the story of the passenger who booked a disembarkation day flight before midday (it's a real page turner as you wait to see if they make their flight)

roflol!

Drowning at the Spa

The Bingo Killer

Slaughter at sail away

The story of how the QM2 isn't as good as the QE2 (it's quite a long story though!)

The story of the passenger who booked a disembarkation day flight before midday (it's a real page turner as you wait to see if they make their flight)

Excellent list :) Simply superb, I'm ordering copies now! Thank you, thank you :)

(Just so you know, having seen it well advertised on here previously, I'm already on Volume "E" (I think, except it doesn't show everything) of the "QM2 isn't as good as QE2" tome, however I'm having great difficulty finding my way around it, it is so badly laid out. None of the pages seem to lead to things I want to read, and I keep missing huge chunks of the volume that I do want to see (I turn the corner, of a page... and I'm completely lost). It is a real mess frankly, but thankfully, for the sanity of future generations of readers, it is now out of print)

Thank you again :) .

Edited by pepperrn

Drowning at the Spa

The Bingo Killer

Slaughter at sail away

:D :D :D Thanks for this, just great!

Congratulations, Felicia123, on leading the "Best Thread Title" sweepstakes.

Back in January there was a Library collections thread in which I posted:

The libraries on all the Cunard ships are supplied by Ocean Books (http://www.oceanbooks.com). I've sent them an email asking if the QM2 library catalog is available to the public. If I get a reply, I'll post it.

I'm still awaiting their reply.

For Felicia123...

Here are a couple titles from books I've read..."MURDER ON THE QE2" (Murder She Wrote) by Jessica Fletcher and Donald Bain -and- "TO LOVE AND TO CHERISH" by Lyn Andrews which is set in the 1920's and involves a Transatlantic journey and working life aboard the SS Amazonia...but probably can't be classified as a "mystery".

Then there is "CROSSINGS" By Danielle Steele about the great NORMANDIE set in 1938, but I haven't read this one, so can't attest to its "mystery" value.

What could be more fitting than to read about ships while you are on a ship!

For austcruise84...

You got a big grin from me with your tell-tale titles!

For pepperrn...

And those are the very things that we loved about the "QM2 isn't as good as QE2"...feeling like a rat caught in a maze in the QE2 was one of the exploratory highlights of our trip! Even with our fold-out deck plan, the going was rough! :-) Now, all the other ships seem so much alike and don't stand out in the vestiges of our memories.

Debjo

I "met" S J Bolton in the QM2 library a couple years ago. Well, I met one of her books. Quite a story-teller and I enjoy the UK settings, because they are novel to me. I've read several of her books since that time and all have held my interest. (I've also found her books in my US library)

Have a pleasant crossing!

Just to add that I always travel with one old paperback murder mystery by Agatha Christie. I like the smell of the book. I like the feel of the book. I like the sense of knowing the book. It's a crème brulee to die for. I would suggest A Pocket Full of Rye. A detestable businessman is murdered while at work, and a handful of rye is found in his pockets. Soon after, members of his household fall victim to a killer intent on recreating scenes from a popular nursery rhyme. Need I say more?

Don, Lord Kay of Shandon.

May I suggest anything by:

Colin Dexter (inspector Morse)

Elizabeth George (inspector Lynley)

Peter Robinson ( inspector Banks)

Henning Mankell (Wallender series)

These are all series with character development, so they are better enjoyed read in sequence.

I do agree about reading an Agatha Christie novel. The period in which they are set seems to go perfectly with a crossing on the QM2!

Ricki

You could try reading the Cunard 2015 Cruise Brochure. See if you can solve the mystery of where all the interesting itineraries have disappeared to! :eek::D

J

Go for a light, hilarious book instead. I love Janet Evanovich's books. They are laugh-out-loud reads. Start with 'One for the money'.

The heroine is a bail bonds agent who always gets mixed up in murder and solves it more by good luck than skill.

Stand in a bookshop and read the first two pages. You'll know by the end of that if you want to keep going.

You could try reading the Cunard 2015 Cruise Brochure. See if you can solve the mystery of where all the interesting itineraries have disappeared to! :eek::D

J

They were last seen hiding under a mountain of self tied bow ties.:eek::D

Thunderstruck is an excellent turn of 19th/20th century murder, the coming of age of Marconi wireless, and and transatlantic dash chasing a felon. All true, absolutely engrossing

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk

I also enjoyed Broken Harbour. Am just about to read Tana French's first book, In the Woods. Would recommend the Stuart McBride 'Lennox' series, set in Aberdeen, and the Craig Russell 'Glasgow' series. Both series are a bit gritty but i enjoyed both - try to read in order - Fantastic Fiction is a good reference site. Libraries are my day job so spend a fair amount of time sampling the wares.

If any other posters try any of these books, might be fun to post comments, could have our very own reading group.

Enjoyed the list of books by the way. Am going to look for them on the Library Catalogue next time i am in work!

Sandie