Villefrance to Monaco-Nice and Back in one day?

lilghallinsf

We arrive at 9 and leave at 7 in the evening. We are hoping to take the train to Monaco in the am and then take the train to Nice for the late afternoon possibly even laying on the beach and then returning to Villefrance for the tender. Is this at all possible? It seems the train ride is super quick between the two and we would probably not plan to see all of monaco, just the palace since the grand prix is going on .

Yes its possible....especially if you enjoy laying on the pebbles that are all over the Nice beach :). But be forewarned that if you are going to Monte Carlo on the same day as the Grand Prix it is going to crazy. The Grand Prix course winds it's way through the streets of MC so many streets are closed off and there are lots of people. Not sure you can count on public transit or taxis that day, so be prepared to walk up the hill.

Hank

Yes, as Hank say, you can do it,but I would skip the beach part and do a little more seeing the sights. The beaches in France are not all that great for just laying on,and if Nice has one of the markets in Old Town I sure would not miss that.There is more to see in Monaco as well,and the narrow little streets leading down to the JC Ocean. is really a nice little walk.All ou to you of course.Enjoy.

Thanks to both of you.

We plan on doing just a little in Monaco because of the Grand Prix, I think we will also play the beach by ear and possibly only do that in Villefrance. I really want to see the flower market in Nice. We are both interior designers and one an architect so I am sure we will be inspired by Nice. I understand that Monaco will be pretty covered up.

Thanks to both of you.

We plan on doing just a little in Monaco because of the Grand Prix, I think we will also play the beach by ear and possibly only do that in Villefrance. I really want to see the flower market in Nice. We are both interior designers and one an architect so I am sure we will be inspired by Nice. I understand that Monaco will be pretty covered up.

Do spend some time then in old Nice...you will love it.

Thanks to both of you.

We have often recommended the Nice Flower Market in our posts. If you plan on going to the market (it is located in the old town area on the Cours Selaya) we suggest you go to Nice as early in the morning as possible. Although the market is technically open until late afternoon, many of vendors start packing-up shortly after noon. For those that do not know, this market is outdoors around a large square and has not only Flower vendors but also lots of food vendors. You can learn a lot about the local culture by attending European markets and its always part of our itineraries whether we be on a cruise or just spends a few weeks driving around Western Europe.

You might also keep in mind that the Nice bus station is actually closer to the Flower Market then is the train station. When we are going there from a cruise we will often just take the #100 bus to the Nice bus station from where we can walk to the market in about 15 min. But you do need a decent street map (you can download one if you do not have it in a book) as the most direct route winds through the narrow streets of old town,

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

If it is any time near the Grand Prix don't go to Monaco. The stands all over the course spoil all the views, the place is chockablock with people and if the practice sessions or the race itself are on the noise is deafening. Nice would be really "nice" under the circumstances.

BTW there is a wonderful restaurant right on the waterfront at Villefranche "La Mère Germaine". You can sit outside almost at the water's edge. And the food is great, service good and prices correct.