Tender ports with wheel chair or scooter

shootingstar07

Good morning everyone,

My 79 y.o. sister is booked on a Hawaii cruise next April on RCL. She currently uses a wheel chair for long hauls like through airports, tours, etc. She can walk slowly. She has 2 bad knees which makes a lot of steps very difficult. She can handle 3 or 4.

My question:

I am looking at renting a portable scooter for her for the ports. However, I have read a few threads where it says scooters are not allowed on tender ports. Just wondering, does this mean if the are folded as well? If she can negotiate the step down to the platform and down to the sitting area (would depend on calm seas) will they load the scooter?

BTW: I am finding a wealth of information on this board. I am trying to read up since I may be her travel companion for this cruise if one of her daughters don't go with her.

She so wants to see Pearl Harbor. Thanks so much for your help.

I own a travelscoot which only weighs 35 lbs. I have cruised with Princess mostly (at least recently). I have to get off the scooter and walk on the tender. Then my husband and the crew put the scooter on the tender but it is not folded. The scooter is the last on and first off so as not to be in the way of the other cruisers. I do have to walk on the tender on my own.

I rented a travelscoot for my cruise next week. I will be in Belize which is a tender port. Not sure yet if we will get off the ship, but I will find out if it is even a possibility with the travelscoot. I read that scooters and wheelchairs can not tender, but the travelscoot is so much lighter and easier (hopefully) to move around.

I will follow up after my trip and post on my experience!

I rented it in hopes that it will allow my family to not have the hassel of wheeling me around and for me to have the freedom to go and do on the ship as I wished.

Hoping it is worth the $$ I am paying to rent it. All the reviews and post I've read said it is! :)

When on Celebrity, Princess, Carnival or Royal Caribbean, they would not allow the scooter on the tenders. You may want to bring a lightweight companion wheelchair for the tenders. Also, if the seas are rough, you may want to revisit taking tenders. It's difficult enough for those with strong legs to get on those things in rough seas.

I rented a travelscoot for my cruise next week. I will be in Belize which is a tender port. Not sure yet if we will get off the ship, but I will find out if it is even a possibility with the travelscoot. I read that scooters and wheelchairs can not tender, but the travelscoot is so much lighter and easier (hopefully) to move around.

I will follow up after my trip and post on my experience!

I rented it in hopes that it will allow my family to not have the hassel of wheeling me around and for me to have the freedom to go and do on the ship as I wished.

Hoping it is worth the $$ I am paying to rent it. All the reviews and post I've read said it is! :)

punkin35,

good luck on your cruise next week. I hope you have a great time. Please do post when you return.

Can I ask where you rented the scooter? I am assuming you had it shipped to your house for airport travel.

Thanks to everyone who posted.

punkin35,

good luck on your cruise next week. I hope you have a great time. Please do post when you return.

Can I ask where you rented the scooter? I am assuming you had it shipped to your house for airport travel.

Thanks to everyone who posted.

Thanks! I am having it delivered to my home the day before my flight so I don't have to use the manual wheelchair or crutches.

After the trip, you just drop it off @ a UPS store with the prepaid shipping label they send.

Here's the link. When I called, the guy was very helpful and answered all my ??'s.

http://www.travelscoot.com/

I will post my review after the trip!! :)

punkin, does the travelscoot arrive in a box and do you have to re-box it? I'm thinking of renting one, just to see if it works for me, before I spend the money to purchase one. If I may ask, what was the cost of the rental and how many days did you rent it for?

Thanks !!!!

punkin, does the travelscoot arrive in a box and do you have to re-box it? I'm thinking of renting one, just to see if it works for me, before I spend the money to purchase one. If I may ask, what was the cost of the rental and how many days did you rent it for?

Thanks !!!!

4 night is $219 and 7 is $249 which includes shipping and ships in a "hard case". Here is the link to pricing schedule:

http://www.scootanywhere.com/rates.php

I am quite large (6'3" and approximately 400 lbs) and use a mobility scooter. I have not been able to get off the boat at any port that uses tenders. They have said to me that they just do not want to take a chance of me getting hurt in rough seas, and there really isn't any way to get a big scooter on/off the tender. So in Princess Cays and Grand Cayman, I just have an extra Budweiser and wait for all the nice folks to come back and tell me about the fun they had.

I rent my cruise scooters from CareVacations. They will deliver it directly to the cruise ship at most common ports. I was told by a Celebrity representative that if the scooter will come apart, they will allow it on the tender, however, I think it's my husband who will be the one to carry it on. I have very bad knees, and we're cruising the Mediterranean in 2 weeks. The only port that has a tender is Villefranche.

Archived