Questions about Carnival Miracle and Power Scooter

PGF

We are going to be on the Carnival Miracle possibly in June, was wondering if anyone has had experience in traveling with a scooter on the Miracle, as well as Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay and Nassau...We want to take my parents on a cruise, and my mom has a Scooter, she can et out of the scooter and walk short distances, but would prefer having it at ports of call. Any and all tips will be greatly appreciated!

I have rented a scooter on my last two cruises as I have muscular dystrophy. It is a godsend for my wife as we can go places that we haven't been able to go before. You will love the Miracle. She is a beautiful ship and very spacious. I don't know about Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay, but the scooter will work great in Nassau. The area along the waterfront, at the pier, has a lot of shops. However, your mom may need to take a cane with her, if possible, as the shops are small and maneuvering them with a scooter would be difficult. If you plan on taking an excursion in Nassau, your mom may need to be shuttled to the end of the pier for transportation pickup. There are several companies that will be competing for your business.

Lastly, be sure your mom books a handicap accessible room for herself and her scooter. Some regular staterooms can accommodate a small scooter but I was always afraid that my rental would not fit as I am a big guy, thus a bigger scooter.That way she has more than enough area to get around in plus the bathroom doesn't have the usual step up that you find in regular staterooms.

I have a lot more info. on using a scooter on a cruise ship plus embarking and disembarking with one, but it's too much to post her. Feel free to email me or my wife at: hurley@hughes.net

We are going to be on the Carnival Miracle possibly in June, was wondering if anyone has had experience in traveling with a scooter on the Miracle, as well as Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay and Nassau...We want to take my parents on a cruise, and my mom has a Scooter, she can et out of the scooter and walk short distances, but would prefer having it at ports of call. Any and all tips will be greatly appreciated!

Grand Turk is totally flat and accessible, however, just a nice shopping area and a pool/show/restaurant area. It's very hot here. My suggestion is just to go to the bar area and get a table and watch the shenanigans of the pool host -- wet tee shirt contest, etc. with some pricey drinks/food. It's a beautiful manmade spot - beach is rocky. Margaretaville worth a look.

Nassau -- flat area to the travel area (taxis) -- depending how many ships are docked determines length of walkway (not short). All taxis are vans which are $4/person to Atlantis/beach - filled to capacity with no room in back or side for scooter or stroller -- seats all the way. There are no car taxis with trunks. One company supplies LIFT for scooter -- his name is Gerard. gerardblewis@hotmail.com. He charges per vehicle trip -- when we went it was $40 to Atlantis with a lift ramp for scooter oneway. There was room in his van for 6 people. I would either get him to give you a nice 2 hour tour of Nassau or go to Atlantis and see the DIG (charge), etc. Be aware timewise that there is traffic.

Shopping in Nassau is on sidewalks -- but not all stores are accessible -- one step up. Be careful -- not the safest of places as area changes quickly and there have been problems.

Have fun. Vicki

Grand Turk is totally flat and accessible, however, just a nice shopping area and a pool/show/restaurant area. It's very hot here. My suggestion is just to go to the bar area and get a table and watch the shenanigans of the pool host -- wet tee shirt contest, etc. with some pricey drinks/food. It's a beautiful manmade spot - beach is rocky. Margaretaville worth a look.

Have fun. Vicki

Vicki:

What about the cabana rentals there at the pool? I was thinking of renting one for me and my sister who will be using a scooter, but can walk short distances with a cane. She has a difficult time with heat and they have AC in the cabanas, or at least that's what they say in the advertisement!

How far away would the restrooms be from those cabanas? Does anyone know?

Jan

Archived