Restaurant in Southampton

mtfasls

I will be in Southampton the day before my cruise, staying at the Premier Inn, does anyone have an idea of a place for a nice dinner (preferably in walking distance).

Thanks,

Barb

Thats a hard one as it depends on your tastes and budget. Try Tripadvisor for reviews of restaurants around the hotel. Plus the hotel has its own family restaurant. I know of some favourites amongst cruisers if you have a preference.

Kevinyork,

We like almost anything, we just want to relax over a nice dinner with a few drinks and start our cruise out right. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Barb

Ok. Not sure if you have seen the Premier Inn menu, they have a restaurant onsite which serves a wide mix of foods. Its a british family style restaurant. Not Michelin star but convenient and good value. They do a deal where you pay £22.99 and get a two course meal with a drink in the evening plus an unlimited breakfast the next morning. The menu is here:

http://www.premierinn.com/en/admin/restaurants/brands/thyme.pdf.bodyrestaurantinfo.Single.OptMenu1MenuPdfFile.tmp/OptionalMenu1.pdf

If you like Thai food there is a very well reviewed restaurant in Hythe which is just across the river from Southampton. You get a regular ferry across from pretty close to where you are staying.

Menus can be seen here :

http://www.thethaicorner.co.uk/

Hythe Ferry times here:

http://www.hytheferry.co.uk/timetable.php

Be aware of the last ferry times to ensure you get back ok.

Something diferent would be a very well regarded vegetarian indian restaurant:

http://www.indianmelody.net/

For traditional British Fish and Chips there is a Harry Ramsdens closeby

http://www.harryramsdens.co.uk/england/southampton

Harry Ramsdens is in West Quay shopping centre right by where you are. There are also a couple of reliable chain restaurants in there such as Pizza Express (a bit more upmarket than Pizza Hut), Wagamama (modern take on asian food, Raman, Noodles etc) plus Yo Sushi for erm, Sushi

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We've booked a Park and Stray deal in the Novotel near to the shopping centre for our cruise next summer. Are there any pubs close by that do bar meals in the evening? We too need to eat but aren't bothered at whether or not it's a 'proper' restaurant. But I hate pizza!

The Duke of Wellington is a pub 5 minutes walk from the Premier Inn WQ and is recommended on TA. Oxford Street is also within walking distance (check it out on google maps) and there's a good selection of restaurants down this lively street. We also stay at this hotel and we like to go out and eat instead of just staying in. In two weeks we're staying at Premier Inn again and various restaurants are closed on a Sunday so we're trying The Platform Tavern, also very near the hotel. Watch this space! By the way for the other poster these restaurants are also near the Novotel.

Harry Ramsden's isn't what it used to be and closes by 8 on weekdays and earlier at weekends, and I know Wetherspoons was popular with cruisers at one time but it felt very run down when we were there a few months ago

The Duke of Wellington is a pub 5 minutes walk from the Premier Inn WQ and is recommended on TA. Oxford Street is also within walking distance (check it out on google maps) and there's a good selection of restaurants down this lively street. We also stay at this hotel and we like to go out and eat instead of just staying in. In two weeks we're staying at Premier Inn again and various restaurants are closed on a Sunday so we're trying The Platform Tavern, also very near the hotel. Watch this space! By the way for the other poster these restaurants are also near the Novotel.

Harry Ramsden's isn't what it used to be and closes by 8 on weekdays and earlier at weekends, and I know Wetherspoons was popular with cruisers at one time but it felt very run down when we were there a few months ago

Weatherspoons food is generally pretty dire. The beer is usually OK but not the food.

We also stay at this hotel and we like to go out and eat instead of just staying in. In two weeks we're staying at Premier Inn again and various restaurants are closed on a Sunday so we're trying The Platform Tavern, also very near the hotel. Watch this space!

Looking forward to your comments

we are at the PI next June for 3 nts

Thanks

Lyn

• 5 weeks later...
Thats a hard one as it depends on your tastes and budget. Try Tripadvisor for reviews of restaurants around the hotel. Plus the hotel has its own family restaurant. I know of some favourites amongst cruisers if you have a preference.

Their restaurant is nice but you must make reservations as soon as you check in. It fills up fast.

Two weeks ago we had a good dinner at Wellington's, and we had a terrific dinner at the Platform Tavern. Both are within walking distance of the Premier.

Yep, the Duke of Wellington is a nice olde-england pub and does decent pub food at sensible prices. And it's only 5 to 10 min walk from the PI. Haven't eaten at the Platform Tavern so can't comment, but I know they often have live music. Also handy to PI.

The Red Lion, in the High Street, is the oldest pub in Southampton and has a great atmosphere. Food is ok, service is a bit variable.

As Steves comment, food at The Standing Order in the High Street isn't so good but it's cheap - its a Wetherspoons pub.

Oxford Street for a selection of restaurants, it's mebbe 15 to 20 mins. Perhaps walk there and taxi back, depending on mood and weather.

George's is a favourite of mine. Its Greek, Surroundings area little basic but the food is good, the welcome is friendly, generous portions and sensible prices.

JB :)

Looks like we should try these food choices the next time we sail out of Southampton, UK.

We stayed at the Premier Inn earlier this year too, but we ate at the restaurant within the Inn itself. We took the meal deal. Food was decent.

We liked the Premier Inn and would certainly stay there again.

More info and pictures on my blog.

http://guitar123foodandtravel.blogspot.com/p/adventure-of-seas-iceland-norway-cruise.html

Looking forward to your comments

we are at the PI next June for 3 nts

Thanks

Lyn

just got back from our latest cruise and we started with a stay at the PI and a meal at The Platform for 16 and I said I'd come back and let you know what I thought.

Well the staff were lovely, the company of the other people from our CC roll call was great and the helpings were huge, but I'm sorry to say we thought the food was more about quantity that quality so my OH and I will be unlikely to use again. :(

just got back from our latest cruise and we started with a stay at the PI and a meal at The Platform for 16 and I said I'd come back and let you know what I thought.

Well the staff were lovely, the company of the other people from our CC roll call was great and the helpings were huge, but I'm sorry to say we thought the food was more about quantity that quality so my OH and I will be unlikely to use again. :(

Thanks for coming back with the report

Did you eat any other place that were worth noting??

Lyn

Lyn, We eat regularly at Pizza Express in Oxford Street. We like their pizzas, we've always found the staff friendly and it's not far from the hotel. Over the years we've tried numerous restaurants but we keep going back to Pizza Express. The next time we're definitely tring The Duke of Wellington, also near the hotels and getting VG reviews

Edited by tartanexile81