Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Conversations > Cruise Foodies

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old June 22nd, 2006, 06:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Dessert questions

Do you eat dessert every night on board a ship?
Just occasionaly?
Not at all?
What was your least favorite?
What was your favorite?

Are portions generally small and decadent, or large and forgettable? Can you request fruit for dessert? Do you order dessert at the same time as the rest of your food, or after your entree has been eaten?

LOL! Sorry for the goofy questions, I had not considered dessert when wondering about food quality and such on a cruise. *blush* The "cheesecake" tthread started it.
~Rebecca

Old June 22nd, 2006, 07:27 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glittercat
Do you eat dessert every night on board a ship?
Just occasionaly?
Not at all?
What was your least favorite?
What was your favorite?

Are portions generally small and decadent, or large and forgettable? Can you request fruit for dessert? Do you order dessert at the same time as the rest of your food, or after your entree has been eaten?

LOL! Sorry for the goofy questions, I had not considered dessert when wondering about food quality and such on a cruise. *blush* The "cheesecake" tthread started it.
~Rebecca
yes we eat dessert of some sorts everynight... but we may eat it later not necessarily at meal time....their portions are small...NCL has the best cheesecake but not as good as what you would make at home from scratch but much better than CCL........fruit is always available even if it is not on the menu they will gladly get it for you as it is available about all the time at the buffet....try and not worry so much about all the little details ...there is plenty of good food and tons of varieties......

Carnival Paradise 3/30/03
Norwegian Dawn 3/26/06
Norwegian Dawn 2/18/07
Norwegian Gem 2/06/08

[IMG]http://www.***************/ticker/image.php?code=0XT132664eXk1Xs23XNCL Gem Cruise[/IMG]

" What is essential in life is invisible to the eyes, and only seen by the heart"...

Old June 23rd, 2006, 01:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

I don’t have dessert every night on a cruise but about half of them. (I never have dessert at home.) I always partake in any flavor soufflé they are offering - let's face it you can't get a soufflé at most restaurants. Other than that I will pretty much skip it unless there is something totally new and different to try. Oh, and on baked Alaska night I will have one bite with strawberry ice cream and meringue - I love the taste of toasted meringue.
Fantasy, Ecstasy, Fascination, Elation, Triumph, Glory, Meridian, Century, Millennium, Zenith, Mercury, Norwegian Majesty, Star Princess, Regal Princess, Grand Princess, Golden Princess, Caribbean Princess, Crown Princess, Ruby Princess, Emerald Princess, Sapphire Princess, Song of America, Monarch of the Seas, Legend of the Seas, Sovereign of the Seas, Grandeur of the Seas, Radiance of the Seas, Independence of the Seas, Eurodam, Westerdam, Nieuw Amsterdam

Old June 24th, 2006, 11:33 AM
10,000+ Club

Rebecca, not knowing which line you're interested in.....

Carnival, for instance, has fairly good desserts and they are ordered after your meal. I sometimes choose one of the French pastries or Flan, but I often skip dessert and have a cappuccino instead. If I order a dessert, I have an espresso. (Both are complimentary at all meals in the dining room on Carnival ships - Unfortunately, there is a charge on RCI.)

Fruit is always available.
1989 - Carnival Mardi Gras
1990 - Princess - Pacific Princess
1991 - RCCL - Song of Norway
2001 - Carnival Holiday
2002 - Carnival Holiday
2003 - Carnival Holiday
2004 - Carnival Holiday CTN
2004 - Carnival Sensation
2005 - Carnival Paradise
2006 - RCCL - Sovereign of the Seas
2006 - Carnival Conquest - Platinum!
2007 - Carnival Holiday
2007 - Carnival Paradise
2008 - Princess - Crown Princess
2009 - Carnival Fantasy
2009 - Princess - Alaska
Remember - NO irons, heating pads, or candles allowed in cabins!

Old June 24th, 2006, 04:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

Well your answers are appreciated. As I am still really new here, I found the boards AFTER I had booked our cruise. lol. As there have been many not so favorable reviews of our ship (NCL's Pride of Aloha), I am keeping myself upbeat by thinking of the experiences unique to being on a cruise. Such as dressing up, menu choices, etc. So, dessert is fun (if somewhat goofy ) to think about. We don't eat them often, but when we do we prefer small portions and interesting ingredients. Have a great day!
~Rebecca