Lobster Rolls

lgfromdg

In October, my sister & I will be on the NCL Gem - NYC to Canada. We'll be stopping in Bar Harbor, Boston & Newport and are hoping to eat some delicious lobster rolls (since that's not something we get in the Midwest). Anyone know of a great restaurant we can get the-best-lobster rolls-ever in these place?

In October, my sister & I will be on the NCL Gem - NYC to Canada. We'll be stopping in Bar Harbor, Boston & Newport and are hoping to eat some delicious lobster rolls (since that's not something we get in the Midwest). Anyone know of a great restaurant we can get the-best-lobster rolls-ever in these place?

Pauli's in the North End of Boston on Salem St. They are famous for the best Lobstah rolls in Boston and not too far from the ship...Probably a good 15-20 minute walk. Maybe at least a 1/2-3/4 mile.

The Barking Crab very close to the port...I haven't had theirs but they are a very popular 'in the rough' kind of seafood restaurant in Boston. My guess is they're probably really good too.

If I have to suggest one over the other...Pauli's.

Sorry can't help you for the other ports.

I'll be cruising to Canada on Carnival Splendor out of NYC on 10/11..Stopping in St John 10/13 and Halifax 10/14

There's a great thread on the New England board under Ports of Call here at Cruise critic.

I've had lobster rolls at a few dozen places in New England. Paulies is a very good advertiser, I've never seen anyone actually recommend them, though. According to Google maps they are nearly 2.5 miles from the cruiseport and a 45 minute walk. I wouldn't go to Barking Crab if you paid me. Too much of a meat market and very pricey.

Belle Isle, Yankee, and Hooks are usually the top 3 in the Boston area. Come over to the New England board to see a bunch of opinions.

Edited by Nitemare

I agree with nitemare. Take the Silver Line from the cruise terminal in Boston to South Station and walk a couple of blocks east to James Hook and Co. They're mostly a lobster wholesaler, but they have a small counter that sells the best lobster roll I've had in the area.

If you're looking for an actual restaurant to get a lobster roll AND other food I'd recommend Yankee Lobster. They're a half mile walk from the cruise terminal, or you can take the Silver Line to the Northern Ave/Harbor St stop. Their lobster rolls are good (though not quite as good as Hook in my opinion), they have great fresh fish straight off the boats, and their stuffed quohogs and lobster mac and cheese were featured on "Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives".

Edited by ahecht

There's a great thread on the New England board under Ports of Call here at Cruise critic.

I've had lobster rolls at a few dozen places in New England. Paulies is a very good advertiser, I've never seen anyone actually recommend them, though. According to Google maps they are nearly 2.5 miles from the cruiseport and a 45 minute walk.

Wow, I didn't realize it was that far! But, I still vote for Pauli's. Plus the North end is really nice for tourists, Old North Church, Paul Revere House etc....worth the trip.

Then if you have room for dessert, either Modern or Mike's Pastry on Hanover St. Both great! I highly suggest the "lobster tail" (kind of luck a creme puff). Cafe Pompei is my favorite cafe' for cappuccino and ricotta pie (almost across the street from Mike's and Modern)

I forget to mention...Pauli's are warm and buttered. No (or little) mayo.

Sent from my Desire HD using Forums mobile app

Lobster rolls in Mass? Sacrilege. Butter on the roll, double sacrilege. I'll bet they even put celery in them.

Lobster rolls in Mass? Sacrilege. Butter on the roll, double sacrilege. I'll bet they even put celery in them.

NO...melted butter on the lobster, not just the roll. Oh boy...my work is a 10 minute walk from this place. I think I know what I'm getting for lunch tomorrow "hold the celery".

LOL, yeah, the North End is def 2-3 miles from the terminal but it is a great place to go. Take a taxi, you will be on vacation!!!

Or walk there and just take a taxi back. Bring back some cannolli's to the ship! You could auction them off for a profit!:D

Then if you have room for dessert, either Modern or Mike's Pastry on Hanover St. ...... Cafe Pompei is my favorite cafe' for cappuccino .... (almost across the street from Mike's and Modern)

Note: Modern has recently expanded next door (into the space between the old shop and the Cafe Paradiso, also recommended) to offer additional seating to accompany your 'famous' cannoli with a nice cup of coffee, and get off your feet and maybe out of long bakery lines.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...