Boston - salem massashusetts - halloween

RUDIMAY1

• 2 years later...
IMHO, if you are on a cruise to stopping in Boston, its too much headache to get to Salem for the short amount of time of the port stop.

40 minutes by auto. commuter rail stops at downtown. ferry ride from boston waterfront.

I have done excursions on caribbean islands that take about an hour to get to. In May we will be doing Dunns Falls from Falmouth 45-60 minutes bus ride.

Edited by RUDIMAY1

Salem is wild and busy and crazy for most of the month of October and lots of folks think it great fun. We stay away..... :D There isn't usually any trouble but it's very busy and crowded and doesn't make for a pleasant, quiet dinner out with friends. :)

IF you have only a one day port stop in Boston and have never been before or have hardly seen much of Boston, I highly recommend you stay in and about the City. Boston is a fabulous tourist city with so much history, art, culture, archtecture..... so much to see and do. Wonderful restaurants for lunch, great shopping, easy to get around........ very walkable.

Getting to and from Salem will waste much too much of your time getting to and from.

IMO

Edited by sail7seas

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I agree, and why pass up a day in Boston to go to Salem?

http://www.salemnews.com/local/x1750256780/Cruising-along

The cruise ships will be coming to Salem. The first one was in August 2013. Salem has been going through revitalization for years now. New Superior court house, new commuter rail station, Boston ferry, new hotels and a very active upscale restaurant community.

• 5 weeks later...

2013 Halloween was very successful. A lot of people (from Boston also) thought Salem was worthy of touring. And they will be visiting year round.

I won't apoligize for my civic pride.

Here is some new information on our new cruise port. There is also a project to expand our Museum which has a lot of seaport exhibits from the early ship trades to India and Hawaii.

http://www.salemnews.com/local/x1442603542/Salem-gets-4M-for-harbor

Edited by RUDIMAY1

http://www.salemnews.com/local/x1750256780/Cruising-along

The cruise ships will be coming to Salem. The first one was in August 2013. Salem has been going through revitalization for years now. New Superior court house, new commuter rail station, Boston ferry, new hotels and a very active upscale restaurant community.

Are there all that many cruise ships small enough to dock in Salem?

• 10 months later...
Are there all that many cruise ships small enough to dock in Salem?

We are building up our port so more will be here.

Seabourn Quest

14-DAY ATLANTIC COAST HARBORS - Seabourn Quest - October 11

Destination Arrives Departs

Day 0 Montreal 4:00 PM

Day 1 Quebec City 8:00 AM 6:00 PM

Day 2 At Sea

Day 3 Cap-aux-Meules 8:00 AM 5:00 PM

Day 4 Sydney 8:00 AM 6:00 PM

Day 5 At Sea

Day 6 Saint John 8:00 AM 6:00 PM

Day 7 Bar Harbor 8:00 AM 5:00 PM

Day 8 Salem 8:00 AM 6:00 PM

Day 9 Newport 8:00 AM 5:00 PM

Day 10 At Sea

Day 11 At Sea

Day 12 Charleston 8:00 AM 11:00 PM

Day 13 At Sea

Day 14 Fort Lauderdale 7:00 AM

Historic Salem & Witch Museum

Approximately 3 Hours

You’re arriving into Salem a week before Halloween—what better time to be scared out of your wits as you explore the historic seaside

You’re arriving into Salem a week before Halloween—what better time to be scared out of your wits as you explore the historic seaside city of Salem, best known for its 17th-century witchcraft hysteria. A scenic drive through Salem takes you along Chestnut Street, dubbed the most beautiful street in America for its unrivaled examples of Federal architecture. Next, pause at Salem’s picturesque Derby Wharf, dating back to the fabled China Trade period. After the Revolution, Salem’s Yankee Clipper ships sailed around the globe to Canton and the South Seas. Back then, Salem was the wealthiest city in the United States. You’ll have time to independently explore the historic buildings along the waterfront, snap a photo of Friendship—a replica clipper ship—or simply relax and enjoy the waterfront. At last you are headed to the Salem Witch Museum, where a dramatic audio-visual presentation recounts the tragic events of the Witch Trials of 1692 and offers a first-hand look into the mysterious practices of pagans, wiccans, midwives and healers. You’ll then have free time to browse in the museum shop for treasures before returning to the pier.

2013 Halloween was very successful. A lot of people (from Boston also) thought Salem was worthy of touring. And they will be visiting year round.

I won't apoligize for my civic pride.

Here is some new information on our new cruise port. There is also a project to expand our Museum which has a lot of seaport exhibits from the early ship trades to India and Hawaii.

http://www.salemnews.com/local/x1442603542/Salem-gets-4M-for-harbor

You have every reason to be proud of your Peabody Essex Museum. It is a treasure and some of the visiting exhibits are fabulous.

Same for your many restaurants..... Lots of really good food in Salem. :)

Well done.

RudyMay1,

So if another person gives an opinion they are a "hater"?:rolleyes:

And you are just a "cheerleader" that takes offense with anyone that doesn't agree with your agenda.

Just saying...............;)

Just trying to keep this thread active, informative and postive. I love going out to Boston also. Always enjoyed North end and the new Seaport area is fun and fantastic. Just trying to make this thread about Salem, not Salem versus Boston. Most know what Boston has to offer. I love that the Seabourn Quest is going to both ports. I hope all involved enjoy all the ports they visit.

You have every reason to be proud of your Peabody Essex Museum. It is a treasure and some of the visiting exhibits are fabulous.

Same for your many restaurants..... Lots of really good food in Salem. :)

Well done.

Thank you!

Just trying to keep this thread active, informative and postive. I love going out to Boston also. Always enjoyed North end and the new Seaport area is fun and fantastic. Just trying to make this thread about Salem, not Salem versus Boston. Most know what Boston has to offer. I love that the Seabourn Quest is going to both ports. I hope all involved enjoy all the ports they visit.

Very polite response. Thank you. Actually, we love Salem.

Again, Thank You.

If you don't mind I would like to give my 3 fav restaurants 2014 edition.........Beer works craft beer great food.......The new a & b burger in the old Salem jail and side note across the st from the original Parker brothers site.....and a little Mexican delight at the Howling Wolf get a coke from Mexico there. I just wanted to share some love for my favorite city in the world

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

My favorite eats in Salem are the baked goods. The real cream bismarks at Coffee Time Bake Shop are sinfully amazing, Ziggy's donuts are a landmark (but they sell out early), and A & J King Artisan Bakers*have the best breads and sandwiches north of Boston.

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...