Decent mall in Portland, Maine

mattR

I found 2 listings for shopping malls in Portland at http://www.maine.info/malls.php . One is a mall, not within walking distance and the other a shopping district that can be walked to from the cruise ship:

Maine Mall

South Portland. Maine Mall hours are Monday through Saturday from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. Sunday from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. The Maine Mall is a contemporary shopping center. With Macy's Filene's, JC Penney, Sears, Best Buy, Linens N Things, and Sports Authority serving as anchor stores for this traditional center, the Maine Mall features more than 140 specialty stores and restaurants, and a 550-seat enclosed Food Court. For more information on upcoming sales, events, job openings, and mall programs click on http://www.mainemall.com or call (207) 774-0303.

Old Port

Downtown Portland. This charming five block area, Portland's Historic District, is lined with cobblestone streets along Portland's waterfront. Stroll through the area and enjoy almost 160 shops, more than 60 restaurants, dozens of galleries and quite a few pubs. http://www.portlandmaine.com/index.php?sec=5

SBtS

Well, the Old Port isn't a mall, it's just a nice old area of town with lots of bars, shops, restaurants. Not a mall by any means though. The only mall in Portland is the Maine Mall, which is in south portland, probably 15-20 min cab ride from the port. Don't get too excited though, it's just a one level mall. We're not huge on malls in Maine.:)

IMHO only, the shops along the waterfront and historic district are very charming... and not to be missed vs. the stores that most of us have near home at the mall. If you want "mall type" shopping you should probably just go to the outlets in Freeport instead. Portland's charming, walkable city though and we've enjoyed it.

Is there a decent mall within walking or short cab ride to the pier in Portland Main?

Give us more of an idea what you might be looking for, or want to see, and maybe we can give you some additional ideas! As the others have said, The Old Port area, where your ship will be, is good for "tourist" shopping - gift shops, boutiques, etc. Maine Mall is about a 15 minute drive and Freeport (outlets) is about a 20 minute drive. I'd suggest renting a car, vs paying for a taxi if you want to head out to the mall, or Freeport.

Give us more of an idea what you might be looking for, or want to see, and maybe we can give you some additional ideas! As the others have said, The Old Port area, where your ship will be, is good for "tourist" shopping - gift shops, boutiques, etc. Maine Mall is about a 15 minute drive and Freeport (outlets) is about a 20 minute drive. I'd suggest renting a car, vs paying for a taxi if you want to head out to the mall, or Freeport.

I asked my wife today what she was looking for as I thought I might get away with just shopping for a couple hours, but she said well isn't there a bunch of outlet near by:) So I guess my new question will be is there anything at the outlets that I could do with my 8/13 year olds such as laser tag or bowling? What is the most convenent rental car place handy to the pier?

There isn't car rental near the port but there is an Enterprise rental that will pick you up, location is on Enterprise website. Some cruise lines have shuttle to Freeport outlets which, except for LL Bean, are the same as outlets up and down all the interstates with the exception of a few unique ones.

http://www.freeportusa.com

It sounds like you wife is wanting to go to the outlets in Freeport, ME. This is the home of L L Bean. If you like their products then this is THE Mecca for L L Bean fans.

There are more stores than just the standard Outlet Mall variety. There are some very nice Maine specific stores selling more than just Tourist Tack. What comes immediately to mind are artisan crafts and art (Abacus Gallery) , fine crafted Maine furniture (Thomas Moser) and a to die for bakery selling out of this world breads (When Pigs Fly).

I have not seen any bowling or laser tag. If you have a car rental you could drop off your wife and take the children to the Desert of Maine. It is close by and I thought it was interesting when I went some years ago.

Try googling Freeport Maine to get more info.

Also check with Avis because they meet you at the pier and then you dropped the car across from the pier and left the keys in a drop box. You have to call the Downtown Portland office directly and check if they are doing it the day your cruise is in Portland.

I asked my wife today what she was looking for as I thought I might get away with just shopping for a couple hours, but she said well isn't there a bunch of outlet near by:) So I guess my new question will be is there anything at the outlets that I could do with my 8/13 year olds such as laser tag or bowling? What is the most convenent rental car place handy to the pier?

If you rent a car you can drop off your wife in Freeport for a few hours of outlet shopping - it's easy walking within the shopping area of the town. Here's a link for her: http://www.freeportusa.com/

Someone else mentioned Desert of Maine. Here's a link for that: http://www.desertofmaine.com/ See what you think...

Wolfe's Neck Farm is also close by: http://wolfesneckfarm.org/ See if that interests you...

I don't think there are any bowling alleys or laser tag places close by to Freeport, I'm afraid! Any other activities??

We go to Freeport several times a year and my kids always loved the activities that they have at L.L. Bean. We've spent hours in there.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/1000001705

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Reny's is a great place to shop in Portland too. It's a hike up over the hill from the port (onto Congress Street). You'll be able to find Maine items (including neat Christmas ornaments) at prices MUCH lower than in The Old Port. It's also an affordable place to pick up things you may have forgotten to pack like rain gear, over the counter medicine, snacks. Here's a link

http://www.renys.com/locations.html

Don't bother with Maine Mall as it doesn't have anything you can't find "back home". Freeport is great for outlet shopping but doesn't have any "activities" for the young ones.

Enjoy your visit!

has anyone been to the shipyard brewing company in portland ? i hear their pumpkin beer is delicious.

We went on a culinary walking tour that ended with beer tasting which was fun. Then we walked to the Shipyard Brewing Company and took their free tour. They were not brewing on the day we were there though. They have a pretty big gift shop with lots of products and several Shipyard sodas to sample. Didn't taste the pumpkin ale.

My 7 yo loves LL Bean, there is a trout pond in the center of the store that will keep them occupied for quite a while. There's also an aquarium filled with Maine fish. The store itself is huge. I live in Maine and still can spend hours in LLBean without realizing it.

• 3 weeks later...

Maine Mall is not the place you want to be when seeing our state. It is really no big deal. Honestly, don't waste your time. Freeport is great for shopping as is the Old Port where you will be docked.

Also, we have a number of micro breweries in Maine. You can walk to Shipyard from the ship. 10 min at most and they give free tours.

Admiral Peary's (the Arctic explorer), summer home is on Eagle Island and is a fantastic day trip. When you visit this old Maine cottage it is like time just stopped. Bring a lunch. It is the island and one house. no stores. It is maintained by Maine Park Rangers and you get to see many artifacts from his expeditions. You get tickets for the boat about 1/4 mile down on Commercial St. from ship. A relaxing way to see Casco Bay and foliage and seals and all sorts of small Maine islands.

Robert Edwin Peary, Sr. (May 6, 1856 – February 20, 1920) was an American explorer who claimed to have been the first person, on April 6, 1909, to reach the geographic North Pole.

• 2 weeks later...
Other than LL Bean, the outlets generally aren't such great deals. I've found I do better on the sale racks of the same stores in any given mall in the US.

Agreed.. and when we were there it seemed like Bean's prices in the store were more than catalog... just comparing a particular shirt I had recently purchased on line..

IMHO only, the shops along the waterfront and historic district are very charming... and not to be missed vs. the stores that most of us have near home at the mall. If you want "mall type" shopping you should probably just go to the outlets in Freeport instead. Portland's charming, walkable city though and we've enjoyed it.

We just spent a weekend in Portland, Maine, stayed at a fabulous B & B, shopped the waterfront stores on nearby area on Saturday and really enjoyed it. We had a world class dinner on Saturday night. Great restaurant (and wine. ):)On Sunday, we drove to Freeport (about an hour or so away) and had a great time there.

LL Bean was busy as were all the stores. There really aren't bargains there but there is lots of variety. The fun of shopping there is the clean, neat, appearance and lots of choice.

Maine has a terrible sales tax IMO so we shipped home everything that we could. If you don't have that store in your state, you don't pay the tax and many of the stores shipped for free for articles of some decent amount.

Archived