HONG KONG-Chinese New Year 2012

glutenhab

Just realized our cruise ends in Hong Kong a day before Chinese New Year (Jan 23/12).

Can anyone offer advice on what we are in for?

I assume there will be huge crowds, store closings, fireworks etc. & read somewhere that the huge parade is Jan 26 but can't find our for sure.

Would love to see the parade & we do have the time to stay until then if it is on Jan 26 but is it then & if so should we stay for it?

I am sure it will be hard getting around the city all week & hotel prices will be higher.

Any suggestions?

Just realized our cruise ends in Hong Kong a day before Chinese New Year (Jan 23/12).

Can anyone offer advice on what we are in for?

I assume there will be huge crowds, store closings, fireworks etc. & read somewhere that the huge parade is Jan 26 but can't find our for sure.

Would love to see the parade & we do have the time to stay until then if it is on Jan 26 but is it then & if so should we stay for it?

I am sure it will be hard getting around the city all week & hotel prices will be higher.

Any suggestions?

This year we arrived in HK 2 days before Chinese New Year started on Feb 3. It didn't appear to make any difference. You wouldn't have known it was happening. The preparations were nothing compared to Saigon.

This year we arrived in HK 2 days before Chinese New Year started on Feb 3. It didn't appear to make any difference. You wouldn't have known it was happening. The preparations were nothing compared to Saigon.

You're truly right. Saigon becomes fantastic from before Xmas. All the streets at downtown are decorated colorfully. It lasted until the 3rd of January. Two weeks before Lunar New Year there are new decorations set up. And, one week before Lunar New Year the whole city turns to be a flower garden. All kinds of flowers and fruits are brought in for sales. Specifically, the downtown avenues are turned to be Flower Roads with flowers, icons of the Year ( Cat, this year and Dragon next year ) and scenic themes on Agriculture, Happiness, Prosperity.

I came up to the Rooftop bar of Rex hotel on the 1st Tet Lunar New Year's day and looked down and found a terrific view of Nguyen Hue Flower Road. Also, from the 49th floor of the Financial Tower one can enjoy a 360 degree panorama of Saigon at TET.

We arrived in Hong Kong this year on Chinese New Year's day. (Feb 3) We arrived just in time for the big parade. The parade was fantastic, but it did make getting to our hotel from the airport a challenge. Our hotel was in the middle of the parade route and all of the roads were closed so no buses or taxis were allowed in the area. So I would assume the parade next year would be on Jan. 23 if that is New Year's. You should be fine since you will arrive early and on the ship.

The next night was a huge fireworks display....the best I have ever seen. Again, the whole area in front of our hotel was closed off for the crowds. People started lining up on the waterfront at 3:00 pm. We also saw the Lion Dance performed at several different locations throughout the city.

The only closures we found were some business offices - so as a tourist, nothing was affected.The stores and restaurants were all open.

We loved being there for the New Year....it was a fantastic experience with the only downside being that things were a bit crowded and took a bit of planning. Hope this helps

Sounds good then.

I am searching for exactly when the parade & fireworks dispaly are for 2012.

Chinese New Year falls on Jan 23/12. We sail into Hong Kong on Jan 21, departing the ship on Jan 22.

I thought I saw somewhere that the parade was on Jan 26. Anyone know for sure?

We can stay until Jan 27, but were thinking of leaving on Jan 23 or 24 if the parade was before then, & taking a nice 3 day stopover on the way home.

The Parade is always on 1st day of Chinese New Year, i.e. Jan 23 2012

The Fireworks is always on 2nd day of Chinese New Year, i.e. Jan 24 2012

And if you arrive on the day before Chinese New Year, you may also want to visit the New Year Eve market at Victoria Park, Causeway Bay. This is where we locals shop before the New Year.

The Parade is always on 1st day of Chinese New Year, i.e. Jan 23 2012

The Fireworks is always on 2nd day of Chinese New Year, i.e. Jan 24 2012

And if you arrive on the day before Chinese New Year, you may also want to visit the New Year Eve market at Victoria Park, Causeway Bay. This is where we locals shop before the New Year.

Thanks. I could only find one site that listed a date for the parade & it says Jan 26/12 for some reason. Does that make sense?

We will be arriving on Jan 21, getting off the Zaandam on Jan 22/12 in Hong Kong, so I will take your advice on the market, thanks.

I was going to book my airline tickets today to return on Jan 26 & if the parade is actually on that day we will miss it. Do you think that is possibe?

Thanks. I could only find one site that listed a date for the parade & it says Jan 26/12 for some reason. Does that make sense?

We will be arriving on Jan 21, getting off the Zaandam on Jan 22/12 in Hong Kong, so I will take your advice on the market, thanks.

I was going to book my airline tickets today to return on Jan 26 & if the parade is actually on that day we will miss it. Do you think that is possibe?

What is the address of the site?

ad156 - Thank you for all of your great advice and information helping us get to our hotel for this year's Chinese New Year. We followed your advice...and loved being in Hong Kong to experience the New Year!

You're welcome! Glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay here! :)

Archived